Cursed Earth | Adventuring in a High Fantasy World | OOC and Sign Ups

Everything looks great! Added to the roster. :) I really like the CS template you guys used honestly lol! The use of air magic to help swing a greatsword around was a neat application of the magic system as well.

Good stuff! I've played a ton of tabletop, but this forum-based RP is brand-new to me. I'm looking forward to it!

Oh no! My idea was actually a warrior that used air magic to aid her in battle as well.. I am much too slow 😭

Mission failed, we'll get 'em next time.

In all seriousness though, feel free to keep using air magic if you want to! >:^)

Hahaha.. my whole concept was actually for a spear wielder to use air magic to make her attacks and movements faster and lighter, so... Back to the drawing board!

Well, that is rather distinct from someone using it for melee attacks. Wind magic's use in archery and spear-throwing was the most natural use I had come up with when I was designing the magic system, so I think that's still a safe avenue for a character concept.

The design I had in mind was a melee user, not a projectile :) it's really OK! I will think up something else!

I've been studying for a mid-term while fleshing out a concept, so I apologize for the slowness!

Reactions: Steel and ze_kraken
Considering joining...not sure yet. Story line seems great though.

Reactions: ze_kraken
This looks gorgeous! I'm recovering from the flu but should with hope be able to get a character up by tomorrow!!

This looks gorgeous! I'm recovering from the flu but should with hope be able to get a character up by tomorrow!!

Awesome! Let me know if you have any questions.

Oh! And forgot to mention - either of you are also welcome to join the Discord.

Awesome! Let me know if you have any questions.

Oh! And forgot to mention - either of you are also welcome to join the Discord.

Oh sweet. I may just then. Have a few questions but I process better on discord lol

Hey! I hope I'm not too late to the party. I LOVE this idea and would like to join. I'll probably start Sketching a character sheet here soon if I am not too late.

Hey! I hope I'm not too late to the party. I LOVE this idea and would like to join. I'll probably start Sketching a character sheet here soon if I am not too late.

Feel free! :) and if you have questions either pop in on the Discord or shoot me a question here in PMs!

2beaaa77eb14470b844623ffd79ee77f.jpg

Arianell Oresh
Twenty-three | Female | Human

APPEARANCE
WHILE standing at only roughly 5'0", Arianell ultimately carries herself confidently, with grit and determination. Despite her smaller stature, Aria possesses a solid build - honed from years of hard work in the fields and beneath her brother's training.

Bronze skin is dappled by freckles, calloused hands nearly devoid of feminine softness. A small hairline scar runs the length of her elbow to her left wrist, though she rarely discusses its origin.

While she might be pretty if she ever bothered to try, she possesses a sharp severity, by force and will, and to the undetermined eye, could very easily pass for a young male. Her eyes are a clear gas-light blue, hair a mass of short whitish blond ringlets. Slightly delicate features belie her depth of strength, a quality, in tandem with her diminutive stature, that she has been known to use to her advantage.

Her voice is intentionally gruff, her posture and gait carrying practiced bravado.

"Let them see what they want… Serves me all the better they won't see it comin'..."

"I have long since stopped expecting life to be kind. Life is cruel and cold and takes far more than it gives... but that does not mean that we must become the things we fight. Little is born from bitterness, and I will not disgrace my brother's memory by forgetting all he taught me - Most important of all, to love."

HISTORY
To protect a father. To vindication a brother.
ARIA was born in the small village of Korin, low in the valley of Therid, the youngest of four beneath three brothers. Her mother, Lydia succumbed to illness during Aria's youth, following the birth of twin girls, leaving Aria's father Brien with the task of raising his children on his own. Brien, a military man, once a scourge against the demonic forces that plagued their lands, knew very little about rearing young girls. Aria and her sisters, thus, received a thorough education on all the practices of farming and swordsmanship that their brothers did before them. Within this was forged a great strength and resolve that would serve the family well in the difficult life they were in store for.

The first tragedy would come when Aria was only nine. Men were often chosen from Korin, grafted into the makeshift militia, to journey North and fight off potential raids of demonkind. Despite his familial obligations, Aria brother Callum found himself called to this militia and shortly after his nineteenth nameday, Callum left home to pursue the raiders. He never returned and a few months later, Brien received word that his son had fallen in battle.

Few could blame Callum's younger brother Tal when his turn came to enlist and he turned tail and ran. And it could not have been known that the militia would, instead, come for Matthias - the third of Brien's sons. At only sixteen, Matthias took up his sword and the banner of Korin and disappeared into the North.

Aria's story did not begin until nearly half a decade later, when those same men came to conscript the final eligible male in her family… Her father. Well into his years and worn down by loss and a sense of failure to his children, Brien nevertheless was determined to do his duty - even if it meant leaving his only remaining children alone. His eldest daughter, however, had another scenario in mind. While women were not undervalued within Korin for their worth, it was considered ignoble for a woman to succeed where a man had failed… Knowing this, but challenged with protecting her ailing father, Aria sawed off the length of her hair, bound her chest and wearing Tal's armor and bearing her father's sword, left to join the militia under the guise of her father's forth son, Arin.

SKILLS
COMBAT TRAINING | Aria knows her way around both blade and fist, having trained and sparred with both her father and her brother Callum for many years. Her skills are formidable, though adaptive to her size and reach, scrappier and swifter than one might learn by traditional methods. Growing up on a farm, she's learned to utilize her surroundings to her advantage, and isn't without capabilities in improvisational weaponry as well.

RESILIENCE | Years of hard living and loss have tuned Aria to a resolute, albeit cautious, mindset. She knows well how to compartmentalize her emotions and fears, and has little difficulty facing challenges that are seen as 'above' her capabilities for the sheer fact that she's always had to.

MEDICINE & COOKING | Because of her wealth of siblings, and her tendency to fill in gaps where needed, Aria has spent a good bit of time studying medicinal herbs, field dressing and putting together sensible and quick meals. Ironically, she had little luck with hunting (her brothers would blame this on her inability to see over the bush), but what is caught is generally well tendered and there's very few meals she puts out that aren't warmly accepted.
ITEMS
SWORD | An elegant, but rustic iron sword - well crafted and cared for, beyond its value.

PACK | A standard travelers pack, complete with dry rations, spare clothing, tools, money and a medicine pouch. This particular pack also contains a pair of torches and flint, a small jar of seasoning and an amulet bearing Aria's family crest. Outside of the pack hangs a length of rope, a bedroll and a cast iron skillet.

CLOAK | A standard travelers cloak - this particular cloak is made from a thick sheep wool, blended with a fibrous material from the farms where Aria was raised. She also wears a light blue scarf and hood to fend off the elements.

ARMOR | While it's clearly older, and appears to have been made for someone with a marginally larger in build, Aria's armor is of good quality - steel plated, with simple but refined embellishments in bronze.

THREE SOLID METAL RINGS | Hanging beneath her armor, rarely seen, but for the chain, are two solid metal rings with gemstones (one red, one green) also bearing her family emblem - the red belonging to her eldest brother Callum - the only thing recovered after his death and her brother Matthias, found on a corpse in Bloodvine along the Dead Sea. As of the battle in the Hollows, this ring now contains a scrap of fabric from the knight Vardis's cloak - a remnant taking shortly before his burial. For a time, Aria also wore an identical ring with a blue stone, though this has not been worn since entering the Shroud.

BROKEN SHARD | Following her defeat of the orc Maud, Aria gathered the pieces of his blade, Shard, and now keeps them in her bag.

Last edited:
Just wanted to check...is this still open?

Niowyn of the Ta'Lassa Tribe
Female | Human | 30​

Appearance: It is obvious that Niowyn is from a tribal settlement rather than a civilized town by her bizarre clothing and mannerisms. Her loose fitting garments are dark blue in colour and are layered over top of more fitting black pieces. The garments have a dark grey pattern stitched into them on the cuff, the neck, and the upper arm that resemble the phases of the moon and her cropped tunic is donned with hand-made silver jewelry. To complete her bizarre wardrobe is a gourd that she carries on her back and black slip ons, rather than the more traditional boot among commoners.

There is something enchanting about Niowyn; an exotic beauty with eyes as blue as the ocean that glow when she is tapping into her magical powers. Her jet black hair cascades down to her mid back like a rolling wave and her olive skin is kissed by the sun. Standing at a slightly above average height of 5'7", Niowyn is an average build and carries a certain calming aura about her.

Please note that Niowyn does not wear jewelry on her forehead or have earrings.

Brief History:
"Our people were once great people, but the Cursed Land robbed us of our history and our identity."

The Ta'Lassa Tribe were once a proud and thriving people that migrated from the south when Spellweaver Piersym offered safe travel through the Pass but when the Spellweaver saturated the lands with wicked creatures, the Ta'Lassa Tribe suffered considerably. The people scattered, taking their history, their traditions, and their identity with them… and for a long time it was rumoured that the Ta'Lassa peoples had completely disappeared until a small group of them re-emerged hundreds and hundreds of years later. Settling in the west near the Hali river, the Ta'Lassa began rebuilding. In present day, the Ta'Lassa Tribe is numerous in numbers once more and although its people are not thriving like their ancestors once did, the Tribe survives.

Niowyn is the only daughter of the Zah'le, the Chief Shaman of the tribe, and is one of a long line of people blessed with the ability to speak to water. Her childhood was focused on learning the traditions of her peoples so that one day she would pass them onto the next generation as the Zah'le. It became apparent that Niowyn had a special connection to the Source, as she continued to master teachings beyond her years and some even believed that she was born from water.

It was when Niowyn reached maturation that she began to hear the whispers of the wind. It was unlike humans to possess control over more than one element and those who did were revered as powerful sorcerers. When the Zah'le learned of Niowyn's calling, she saw an opportunity to reclaim her people's history, and dictated her daughter's training. Hard-working and determined, Niowyn learned how to manipulate air in a number of different ways but the most prominent was to use it to cool her already existing water magic to create ice.

Niowyn was the first of her people to have control over two elements, water and air, and would also be the first of her tribe to leave. The Zah'le believed that Ta'Lassa's history was somewhere in the Cursed Lands and that it could restore their tribe to its former glory. With the love of her people in mind, Niowyn swore an oath to find what was once lost and return it to where it rightfully belonged.

Skills:
Human Magic - Water
Niowyn has trained under the element water since she was a young child and has developed her own set of skills, her trademark being dubbed 'water sculpting', where Niowyn commands the water to take the shape of creatures. Over the years she has learned to draw water from the soil and use water as a medium for healing others.

Human Magic - Air
Niowyn is not as adept at air magic as she is at water magic but that isn't to say she isn't skilled at air magic. Niowyn is able to use air magic to 'lighten her load' when traveling and she has some minor control over sculpting the air like she does water. The most prominent use of air magic that she harnesses is the ability to rapidly cool her water magic to create ice and fling projectiles.

One with the Land
Being from a tribal settlement, Niowyn is adept at living off the land and adjusting to her surroundings. She is able to identify useful plants for medicinal properties and what is safe to eat and what isn't, Additionally, she is able to read tracks and has a vast knowledge on the vegetation and animals that live in the area.

Spiritual
The Ta'Lassa Tribe is a spiritual tribe and as such, Niowyn is deeply rooted in her teachings, beliefs, and traditions. It is common to find Niowyn meditating, what she often calls listening for the world's whispers, and outsiders often find some of what she says to be strange. As the daughter of the Zah'le, a Shaman, it isn't surprising that she carries a certain mystical persona that is confident in who she is.

Inventory:
  • Gourd: Niowyn carries a gourd, similar to a backpack, that has water in it for magic accessibility. The gourd is littered with intricate carvings of strange symbols.
  • Travel Pack: Underneath her gourd, there is a cylinder type sack strapped to it, that carries animal skins, hammock, a small notebook, and basic cooking supplies.
  • Dagger: A simple dagger that is on a loosely secured belt on Niowyn's hips.
  • Hooded Cloak: A hooded cloak that Niowyn sometimes wears in the colder or wetter weather, but it usually lives in her pack.
  • Blue Gemstone: An icy blue gemstone with flecks of silver and swirls of white in it hangs from a tarnished silver chain around Niowyn's neck.

Last edited:
Jaxs From The End

Male| Human| 29(ish)
1583129324872.pngAppearance:

Jaxs is very non-descript. He really could be from any part of the North. His clothing is plain and he bares no regional markings. He is no shorter or taller than other human men. His hair is blonde and his eyes are mostly brown. During the day it's hard to see him from anyone else one might pass on the road. Until the sun goes down and his eyes glow slightly green.

Brief History:

Jax has a handful of skills that have helped him survive his wretched land. He knows his way around a forge. He can swing a hammer (although, not with any amount of grace) and smash anything that seemed to be getting up to too much mischief. Knows his basic maths and how to make an amazing sour meat pie.

The struggle comes when someone asks the dreaded question of "Where did you learn this". It seemed like a simple enough question the first time it was asked. Surely anything known must have been taught. But when it came time to produce a name or relation, all that came to mind was a fleeting voice. Sometimes it was a glimpse of hair or a name dancing at the tip of his tongue. The response to his lack of answer varied from person to person. Eventually he just found it easier to mention a dead ma or pa and hope that the questioner would move on.

He also learned quickly to not mention where he was from. The End had a reputation after all. Everyone knew of The End. Everyone knew someone who had gone to The End, but had never met someone from The End. It wasn't the type of place people returned from after all.

The End is a small settlement about as far North as someone can get without falling off the map. Tucked in the base of the mountain range. It is rustic, rural and about as inhospitable as a place can get without immediately killing off any who enter.

The settlement itself is more like a shallow cave system resting against an algae filled river that casts a faint fog at all time. The algae is the settlements life blood. It seeps into the water, making all who drink it full of courage and those who breath in the unfiltered mist find that it dulls the senses. Music, drums mostly can be heard from all areas. Fires burn constantly. People come and stay a few days and then they leave the earth. Fighting evil in a blaze of painless glory. Or so they say.

People come to the End when the North is too much for them, but they are far too cowardly to end their lives themselves. The End paints a picture of a glorious, brave, pain-free death fighting the darkness for the good of the living. Children don't face The End. It's not allowed until their 30th(ish) named day. It's the only rule enforced by the settlements two true occupants--Edi and Pau.

The world had a name for children like Jaxs, the Endless Orphans. Although they were mostly myths, as Endless Orphans rarely left The End and mostly followed their parents as soon as they were able.

Jax had only tried to describe his life there to a handful of people. But every conversation about it seemed to make people more uneasy.

"What did you eat?"
"Animals...I think? Maybe bread… I know I had a carrot once"
"Were there other children there?"
"Yeah, lots"
"Any friends?"
"Yeah, Jaxs was my friend,"
"Another named Jaxs?"
"We were all named Jaxs"

It took him awhile to figure that one out, he knew that different people had different names, but every child he had ever met was always called Jaxs. He supposed the elderly dwarf couple that lived there and 'tended' to the orphans had simply found it easier to call every child Jaxs. Growing up, he had never thought to question it...but now. He supposed things were easy to forget there. He had tried to remember any name he had had before, but that too was lost in the mist.

How he survived was hazy. He remembered that there were rules that had to be followed. Only adults could drink unboiled water and it was important to always wear a mask.

What was even more hazy was how he left. The only unhazy thing about his life, was the fact that Jaxs planned to follow after his nameless and faceless parents. Any other life had failed to cross his mind until he met her.

He cannot even say if the girl was real. The mist often plays powerful tricks. But the girl felt so real and she ran from The End. He chased her for days and ended up in the Hollows. He never saw her again and couldn't begin to describe her, but her image always haunted the dreams of his dreams. If he just tried hard enough, he could see her again.

Until then, Jaxs was able to settle in to the Hollows, even if he was a bit odd. He worked for a blacksmith, doing odd jobs 'just until the busy season' was over. Which had yet to let up in two years.

Jaxs had only expected to live another year and hadn't ever thought about what comes next. But being away from the mist has cleared his mind and started him wondering if there was something more. Yet a part of him kept nagging him. The part that longed to die to help the good. A part of him that might never really leave.

Skills

Human Earth: While this is less of a skill as of yet, he has found that he is able to control earth with limited success. It is not a skill he relies on in any sense, but he has started to explore its possibilities.

Long Hammer: As with most young men, he has a childish dream of wielding a sword. But that takes time, money and a teacher, none of which he has. So he makes do. A good squash will kill a baddie just as well as a slash.

Plant Knowledge: This one had come as a surprise to himself. He is able to name and describe the plants and their various properties and uses. Which makes him valuable to the village healer (she will sometimes pay him to gather for her). Even more so, as he doesn't have any idea the amount needed nor the proper way to prepare the plants.

MISC Cooking: The rare times he has a variety of ingredients on hand, he is able to create delicious dishes. It just sort of happens.

Smithing: His skills are practical at best. He'll make you whatever. It'll get the job done, just don't expect it to be pretty.

Inventory:

The majority of Jaxs supplies come secondhand from 'soft hearted' citizens and from more than a few bodies out of the 'Heros Return'. His early days in the Hollows were fuzzy at best. Judging by the scars on his feet, he had left The End without so much as a pair of shoes. Even two years in has failed to let him build his life up completely as a man starting from nothing.

Long Hammer: One of the few items that followed him from The End. He remembers it being a gift from someone. It is heavy and more useful as a weapon than a tool.

Cloak: A gift from the smiths wife. It was meant for her son, but he ran off before she could give it to him.

Pack: It is less of a traveling pack and more of a bag to hold all of his life possessions. It is mostly empty, save for a simple dagger he made himself. It has the potential to hold his bedroll, food and meager food supplies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey there!

From what I gather, you're all full up on characters but this RP looks so good that I still want to pop by and say that I really hope you guys have fun!

This looks awesome! C:

Reactions: Pupperr
Say hello

to

Oryn

C:

tenor.gif

Attachments

• 1583608660962.png
    1583608660962.png
    129.3 KB · Views: 0
NPC CHARACTER SHEETS - ARC 1

NATHYEN

1585842331818.png

Male | Human | 23

Nathyen is a treasure seeker and "locksmith", a term he ascribes himself in the belief it sounds better than "thief" or "lockpick" to others. He is quick-footed, though he says his wits are quicker. He carries a sword ably enough, but prefers to stay away from fights and looks to find a way around conflict if he can.

MAUD

1585842684610.png

Male | Orc | 37

Maud is an orc warrior hailing from the Shroud in the east. He is skilled with axe and sword and shield, and was trained in the ways of the Knights of the Raven, whose order still wanders the lands as sell swords. He leads a band of workers from the Crags against demons, and carries a Volcite steel sword he calls Shard.

EGRET

1587420921502.png

Female | Human | 26

Egret hails from Easttown, which used to be one of the 3 villages comprising the Hollows before the last winter saw it destroyed by the others. A former mother and wife, and a competent woodsman, Egret serves in Maud's band for lack of a better place to go.

Last edited:
f0ea9a883290ba0efcb26527067b4fdb.jpg
Erskine Rimebarth
Hell Maw Defiant

86 ╪ Dwarven ╪ Male╠

Appearance
There is little mistaking Erskine as anything but a dwarf; standing at four foot nine inches (or one hundred forty-four point seventy-eight centimeters), bristling with ginger-hued hair save for the parts of his leathery skinned scalp not covered in gruesome scars or tattoos. Barrel-chested with a muscular frame born from years of constant warring, his intimidating presence belies the caring scholar who had once been the proud uncle of twenty-six.

Although his appearance suggests that he had once been meticulous to his grooming, it appears he had stopped maintaining his armor recently, as what was once polished half-plate armor has become battered and weathered, with several pieces missing and replaced with hide or leather equivalents; all of which draped by a patchwork cloak of cloth, leather, and fur.

Primary Motivation

"Nezsorhkan is gone! There's nothing left for us to fight for and yet you speak of hope?! What hope is there for us?!"
"The Hell Maw may be gone, but Nezsorhkan was only a place. As long as we Defiants still breathe, there is always hope."
His home destroyed by demonic forces and the few survivors forced to flee, Erskine can do nothing more than recuperate and rebuild what little he has left through mercenary work. Perhaps with time, new resources, and allies, he will have enough to take back his home one way or another. That is what he has promised himself, although even a fool knows that such a task is far from easy.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Backstory
Occasionally, Erskine can remember the days of peace before the invasion began. His youth in the dwarven mountains of Nezsorhkan was spent in the mines as were many others', chipping away at the plentiful veins of valuable ore that had once made Nezsorhkan a vital stop for nearly all trade routes. Then they came like a plague, the demonic forces pouring forth from the surrounding lands and while the dwarves were caught off-guard, they would hold back the horde through one of the bloodiest sieges of their history. The age of peace was gone, instead replaced with decades of war as the attrition between the relentless of the demons faced against the dwarven stubbornness, the latter forces creating an impressive series of trenches and pits known as the Hell Maw. Like the rest, when Erskine wasn't fighting, he was maintaining the trenches and helping others the best he could. Even in the midst of war, a semblance of every-day life had formed and would last until the bitter end came.

A year prior of his eighty-fourth winter of life, the demonic forces struck their defenses with an unexplainable vigor and bit-by-bit, the Hell maw conquered before the occupants were forced to abandon Nezsorhkan through hidden tunnels. While Erskine was prepared to join the rest of his family-in-arms, he was convinced to join those fleeing by his superior although he does not know why even to this day. His kin scattered to the winds, seeking refuge wherever they could, he would lose track of many of them and those he did find, he found very little of them.

With little to his name, he took the work of a mercenary, sending what money he could spare to his downtrodden breathren while saving what little remained in the hopes of one day retaking back their mountain home.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Skills
Sharpshooter - Crossbow

Crossbows were not originally the weapon of choice for the dwarves of Nezsorhkan, but over time they would adapt to focus on shooting demons from a distance before they could reach the trenches. Several decades of combat experience with the weapon has given Erskine an uncanny skill with it, able to load a bolt and fire between the eyes faster than some could unsheath their blades.

Alchemy
What was once a harmless hobby from his boyhood became a godsend in those bitter years of war. Concocting countless salves and poisons since those days, his greatest achievement still lies in the explosion compound that makes even those versed in magic wonder if the dwarves had overcome their inability to cast spells.

Trench Warfare
Knowledge mostly useless to the rest of the Cursed Lands, but it has allowed him to excel in cramp quarters combat, tunneling, and the psychological endurance one must have not to fall into despair in a war of attrition.

Survival - Basic
Having spent most of his life on one mountain, Erskine is far from an expert when it comes to flora or fauna but knows just enough to have survived in the wilderness and various civilizations up until this point.

Mining
Although his knowledge and skill is extremely rusty by this point, he still knows a thing or two about mining.

Inventory
Crossbow

A weapon with an obscene draw weight, befitting a dwarven soldier.

Quiver of Bolts
Filled with bolts with various heads depending on the situation, as well as a specialized compartment for bolts slathered in alchemic concoctions.

Patchwork Armor
What was once a set of half-plate armor and cloak, repaired with various other materials that were on hand.

Alchemist Kit
A large satchel of worn leather filled with the different ingredients and equipment needed to create countless items as long as he has the materials needed.

Mining Lantern
Standard lantern previously used to transverse the dark underearth.

Trench Shovel
A short, compact shovel used to dig and maintain trenches. In a pinch, it can become a gruesome improvised weapon in extreme close quarters.

Flask and Drinking Horn
For alcohol.

Last edited:
35b5e0962f1d901bb63ff121c57f89e4.png
Human | Tweny-Eight | Female

Appearance

In stature, Aoife is quite unremarkable. Her 5'8 frame is a little taller and a little more muscular than might be expected, but not to the point where most people would notice. Bigger, stronger women are not hard to find. What makes this former guardswoman stand out from the crowd are the accents of her appearance. With bottle green eyes, auburn hair and the fair, freckled complexion to match, even before her brush with death, Aoife had more than her fair share of striking features. The long, ragged scars that now cover the right side of her face and body just happen to be the most striking of the bunch. While some might wish to hide such disfigurements, Aoife makes no effort to do so; if anything she chooses to subtly highlight them.

In the relative safety of town, Aoife will typically be seen wearing a dark, metal studded jacket over a nondescript tunic teamed with the hard wearing trousers and a pair of study boots. In the wilds this outfit is often augmented by a boiled leather cuirass and pauldrons and some slightly sturdier steel banded vambraces. Jewelry is noticeably absent from Aoife's presentation, her experience is that it tends to shine at precisely the wrong moment and thus she tends to eschew it unless she needs to make a certain impression on someone. The closest thing to jewelry that Aoife regularly wears is a flint and steel hanging from a strap on her belt.​

Primary Motivation

"I owe someone in the Atherstone Keep a knife between their ribs. After that debt is settled it all get more complicated, but things will change... eventually."

Aoife isn't the type to just forgive and forget, especially when it comes to the wrongs done to her by those who set themselves above their fellow man. Someone gave an order for her to be killed and she intends to repay them in kind. Her experience in how far the ruling classes will go to protect their position has also reinforced her belief that that whole system needs to be torn down, just as soon as she can work out how without exposing the people of The Shroud to the horrors of the lands beyond its walls that she knows far too well.​

Breif Backstory

To be a human in the Cursed Lands is to live a hard life. Of course, humans being humans, some live much harder lives than others. Some would think that being born within the protective embrace of The Shroud would be a blessed existence, but they would be wrong. While the citizens of this bulwark of civilisation need not fear demons in the same way most of their kin around the Cursed Lands must, they must deal with another malevolent force instead; the cruel indifference of the nobility. To be born at the bottom of this society is to be born into a life of crushing poverty with few ways out and even fewer that any sane person would take.

It was into this world that Aoife was born. To say that she grew up in the gutter would be to overstate it; gutters are at least paved. Her parents were bonded farmers, working the land for unseen nobles. When times were hard the food that they worked their fingers to the bone to pull from the earth was ripped from their hands to fill the stomachs of the aristocracy and knightly orders. Even as a child she could see the injustice of it, the lies that the higher powers spread to keep the populace in their place failing to twist her mind into obedience. When her father dropped dead shortly after the birth of his second daughter, the only response of the ruling classes was to remind his widow of her obligations to them and the cost of not meeting them. There was no honour in such a pitiful existence; no future worth having.

For Aoife escape from this crushing existence came from within. Whether the Stag, the Wyrm, the Raven or even the Handmaiden had answered her silent prayers, or whether the connection to the essence had been there from birth nobody knew or really cared. All that mattered was that the flame haired girl could control torrents of flame. Quite naturally the city guard more or less claimed her for their ranks. While not the most enviable of positions, being a guard was far better than where she was starting from. It was a role that could lift the family out of the deepest throws of poverty. It was a chance for something better

It wasn't an easy fit to begin with. The anti-authoritarian streak years of simmering class hatred had developed made it hard for Aoife to follow order easily. Fortunately for her career and her family's prosperity, she was smart enough to spot an opportunity when it came knocking on her door that made it easier to bite her tongue. Large swathes of The Shrouds' aristocracy kept their wealth and power by viciously controlling the flow of goods in and out of the city. As a member of the guard, Aoife was in a position to circumvent this. What started out as an attempt to get tools for her family at a reduced price quickly blossomed into a wholesale smuggling racket with Aoife at the head. For a short while life was good and coin plentiful. Unfortunately, success drew the wrong sort of attention.

Retribution was sudden and should have been final. In the middle of an arduous trading expedition to some of the western human settlements, Aoife awoke to find a sword to her neck, three more hovering above her face and her hand bound. The men who she had thought were her allies explained to her that she should have known her place and not tried to cheat her betters out of what was rightfully theirs. That small camp by a raging mountain river should have been the final place Aoife drew breath, but fate had other ideas. Mere moments before her throat would have been slit, the demons attacked.

Distracted and unprepared, her captors were lambs to the slaughter for the Misshapen. Unarmed and bound as she was, Aoife also fell victim to the fiends evil assault. It was only when a chance blow loosed the bonds around her wrist that she was able to drive the back with flames. Even then though, with her human assailants felled, she harboured no illusions that she would survive. The demons outnumbered her perhaps fifteen to one and she knew their fear of fire would only hold them so long.

Jumping into the river wasn't an act of escape, Aoife did it to choose her own death. Waking up and vomiting water on the river bank in Molestown was an unintended, but happy consequence. Since that fateful day, Aoife has built a small life for herself earning enough to sustain herself as she plots her return to the shroud and the destruction she will wreak on those that rule it.​

Skills

~ Standard Combat Training
As a citizen of The Shroud, Aoife received the same training in arms that every boy and girl of the city does. Joining the cities guards required further training as well as providing her with the opportunities to put what she had learned into practice.

~ Human Fire Magic
If there is one thing that changed the path of Aoife's life the it is her ability to control fire. Her actual ability is actually rather rudimentary. What education she did receive largely focused on increasing her raw destructive power rather than any finesse.

~ Cursed Lands Scout
Despite her less than legal side business, Aoife was part of The Shroud's guards for the better part of a decade. One of the forces recurring duties was to provide an escort to what few trade expeditions the city sent out. Generally on these trips it was held that discretion was the better part of valour and to that end the guards with experience taught the rookies how to move across the wilds of the Cursed Lands while drawing the minimum amount of attention from the hellish foes.

~ Underworld Knowledge
With mortal society so fragile in the Cursed Lands, the criminal fraternity is a relatively small one and names travel. If you are looking for someone to sell you a horse of dubious ownership at well under market value or someone who will buy jewelry no questions asked, Aoife probably knows who you should look for and where to find them, or failing that, who to ask. At the very least she will have a pretty good idea of where to look for such ne'er do wells and how to approach without sending them running for the hills.​

Inventory

~Short-sword
A decent quality blade not much longer that Aoife's forearm. The only special thing about it is that it is hers.

~Hand-Crossbow
Smaller and packing less punch then bigger models, this crossbow has the advantage of being much easier to handle and leaving its wielder a free hand.

~Tinder Kits
Water resistant pouches of carefully selected and packed tinder as well as a flint and steel hang from Aoife's belt to keep them in easy reach at all times.

~Travelers Pack
The standard fare of water skins, rations, an animal skin for sleeping on, a cloak for keeping the weather at bay and a length of rope.

~Hooded Lantern
A lantern designed so that the user can limit the amount of light it gives out via means moving metal panels. Useful for moving around after dark without letting the whole world know where you are.​

Last edited:
  • Nice Execution!