16:00-20:00 US Central
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
  3. Prestige
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Cyberpunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and other low-tech/fantasy.
Marcellus;Quicksand;LB;

CURSED EARTH

PLOT

After delving deep into the dwarven hold of Gol Badhir in the mountain range known as the Crags, a group of adventurers discovered that the treasure they were after - the hammer Scarnesbane of Ormund the Nine-Fingered - was, in actuality, a weapon of mythical power known as "Oathsworn". They were not the only ones seeking such a weapon. After dispatching a rogue knight known as Maud, and the army of a powerful demonic entity known as a Hollow Knight, the adventurers are set for the last vestige of old civilization left in the Cursed Lands: the Shroud. There they hope to discover what exactly they have stumbled upon, and accomplish their own personal goals in the meantime...

In this player-driven RP, you will play as an adventurer in the Cursed Lands bound for glory or an early demise in a cruel, desolate world full of dangers, both demonic and mortal. As you and your fellows wander the land in search of answers about the Oathsworn weapons, you will grow, change, and overcome not only your personal obstacles but the perilous landscape itself as you contend with bandits, monsters, and the ever-present threat of demons.

HISTORY

There was once relative peace in the realm north of the Raven's Pass. There the mighty kingdom of the elves ruled, alongside their slave caste of orcs and the isolationist dwarves. All changed when, as foreseen by elven prophecy, humans arrived on shores south of the Pass and began to rise to prominence. Only, the southlands were mediocre when compared to the excess and abundance of the north, so when the humans inevitable tired of competing amongst one another for resources, they turned their attention northward. Piersym the Spellbinder mastered the arcane arts, learning techniques thought impossible for humans, and led a great army of humans, orcs, and dwarves north. He achieved the impossible and unseated the elven rulers of that promised land, declaring himself king of all north of the Raven's Pass.

Only, his rule was not as assured as first thought. The orcs, long friends of the humans for they were the ones who brought freedom to their species, began to grow jealous of the human prosperity in the north. The orcs had paid the heaviest price in securing the promised land, and were now left with none of the fruits of their labor. They revolted, invading through the Raven's Pass and rallying their kin in the north wherever they went. With no elven friends to call upon, and with many dwarven allies swearing neutrality, Piersym was left exposed and vulnerable. Rather than let his hard-earned victory be squandered so shortly after achieving it, he did the unthinkable once more.

Piersym opened a rift to the Other, an infernal realm where demons lurk. Only, the demons were too powerful for Piersym to control and he was overwhelmed, becoming the Demon King. Though the orcs were driven back, the true horror of what had transpired was lost on the inhabitants of the north until the Demon King descended upon the land, ruining all in his wake. The conquest was brutal and short, much of it lost to history, leaving many to wonder why exactly there aren't demons teeming everywhere...

OOC

As a disclaimer upfront - this is an RP already in-progress, which means that you will be thrust into an existing character dynamic which you will have to navigate your character through in addition to contributing to the overall plot and pace of the story. There is no expectation that you read through all that has come before your character joined the RP. Of course, if you are willing and able to then feel free, but you will be joining the story at a natural jumping-in point which will require no elaborate shoehorning to fit your character in.

Since there is a well-established and functional dynamic and plot structure already in place, I am going to be a bit more particular in choosing which players or characters are allowed to join this RP. A few notes to consider if you will be accepted are:

• OOC communication is a must: be it updates about your ability to post or general banter in the Discord and general excitement about the RP
  • Open to collaborative posts: as this is largely a player-driven RP, and lots of solo posts cover less ground than a few collaborative posts, I expect you to be able and willing to write with your fellow players
  • Characters must have a clear motivation that is separate from the overarching plot: this gives me more to play with as a GM to add and mix with the main story, and just makes for more interesting characters down the line in general
  • Willing to share the spotlight: every character has their own strengths and weaknesses, and this means your character might not always be in the spotlight or have the best skills for the job and you need to be able to work within the limitations of your character to allow others a chance to shine as well
For now I'll be accepting no more than 2 additional characters to join the group, with 1 of 2 starting locations. You can either join up with the group in the small town known as Molestown along the Fangtooth River and join them on their way to the Shroud, or meet up with them directly in the Shroud. Meeting in Molestown will have you start sooner, the Shroud later (anywhere from 2-3 weeks from the publish date of this post). If you wish to join sooner rather than later, try to get me your CS no later than (9/18). Should you be accepted, I'll provide you the Discord link at that time.

If you are curious here is the IC thread link: LINK. Here is also an example of a properly constructed CS - you are free to format it however you wish, but it must include this information: LINK. Lastly, below find information regarding the different races.

If you have any questions or ideas, please shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to talk things through with you!

ORCS

1599579205214.pngOrcs were among the first races to live upon the continent which would eventually be split into the Cursed Lands and the South Lands. If the elves are correct, then orcs were created sometime after the elves but before the humans and dwarves. They were used largely as a slave class by the dwarves and elves in what came to be known as the Cursed Lands, and welcomed the arrival of humans to their land as the humans came proclaiming freedom for all who would fight to secure a human birthright.

Orcs are larger than humans, though stand shorter than the believed height of elves. They are more muscular, their senses sharper. They retain pointed ears - a remnant of some common creation with the elves - and have skin that ranges from mint green to deep olive hues. Orcish magic is unlike other magic in that orcs are incapable of accessing the Essence directly, but through its manipulation store their own bodily essence in materials in the physical plane, drawing upon it later to bolster their physical performance. Gemstones are the most effective for this purpose.

HUMANS

1599579188110.pngHumans arrived last on the continent, and are believed to have been created after orcs but before dwarves. Humans mythologized their own, comparatively shorter, lifespans as a strength of their species, for humans are among the most prolific and powerful species throughout history. They were capable of conquering the Cursed Lands before they were the Cursed Lands, and dislodged the most powerful civilization in the known world: the elves. Whatever the humans fled when they came across the sea has been lost to history, but their remnants upon this continent have been etched into its very fabric.

Humans come in all shapes, sizes, and colors in the Cursed Lands. Their magic is one similar to the elves, in that humans can more readily access the Essence but must do so with a modicum of their own energy. The Essence expediates tasks, makes them more efficient, but whereas elves were capable of creation from Essence and nothing else, humans must manipulate what physical objects exist in their own reality. Human magic users specialize in one of four general schools: water, air, earth, or fire.

DWARVES

1599579228364.pngDwarves were the last race to be created according to the elves, and are the longest-lived of the mortal species. They existed in harmony with the elves in what would come to be the Cursed Lands, but were divided into clans and rival households at the coming of the humans. Some pledged for the humans, joining their kingdom. Others remained loyal to the elves. Some outright separated from all known factions, forming independent dwarven kingdoms. The dwarves' legacy can be seen clearly in the mountains encapsulating the Cursed Lands, where their holds still stand.

Dwarves are short compared to humans, but only by about a head or so. They are stocky - wide in the chest, and generally well-built in the arm and leg. Whereas elves, orcs, and humans all are capable of some form of magical manipulation, dwarves are something of a magical oddity. They project a zone which makes accessing the Essence difficult for many spellcasters, and they themselves tend not to be terribly impacted by the Essence.

ELVES

1599579272456.pngThe elves were first to rule the physical world after a great conflict in their recorded history between the Essence and the infernal realm of the Other. They enjoyed their rule unchallenged until the Essence gave birth to the orcs, with whom they clashed until they were bested and made to serve the elves. Then came humans, which elven history oft neglects, followed by the dwarves who enjoyed a great friendship with the elves until the coming of the humans. Elvish society was at its height until Piersym the Spellbinder not only was capable of besting the elves, but later would kill them to the last with his demonic army.

Elves were believed to be the tallest of the races, standing a good head above orcs. Their features were lithe, almost cat-like, with pointed ears and angled eyes. Their skin was pale, their hair silver or golden. Their magic was the most potent of all races, capable of fabrication from the Essence into the physical plane, a feat no other species or individual has managed since the last elvish spell-weaver perished.

J7mZPVC.jpg

Map by the wonderful @Elle Joyner

Last edited:
  • Spicy
  • Love
Reactions: Owl and Pupperr
Yesssss! Don't be shy friends! We are an easygoing and welcoming bunch! Come and adventure with us 😁

Looks like it'd be fun. I'll try and get a CS up in the next day or two.

Looks like it'd be fun. I'll try and get a CS up in the next day or two.

If you have any questions or need someone to bounce ideas off of, don't hesitate to shoot me a PM!

Looks like fun! I'll see about cobbling somethin together for it.

Reactions: ze_kraken

Likewise - please let me know if I can assist in any way! PMs are always open. :)

Likewise - please let me know if I can assist in any way! PMs are always open. :)
Beaut, hows our cast lookin? They playing nice with one another?

Yes - there's been a good group dynamic and character dynamic going on steadily for a couple months now!
good to hear, I know jumping into set up ones can be difficult, but ones that arer set up can be definitly easier to adjust to. So for the CS we plop em in the link provided or here?

Beaut, hows our cast lookin? They playing nice with one another?

Yes - there's been a good group dynamic and character dynamic going on steadily for a couple months now!
good to hear, I know jumping into set up ones can be difficult, but ones that arer set up can be definitly easier to adjust to. So for the CS we plop em in the link provided or here?

If you could PM it to me that would be great!