Currently Reading/ Favourites

I'm currently reading Roadside Picnic.
Listening to the following adds to the setting a lot.

Reactions: Ghostly Boo
I'm currently reading Dune.

Reactions: Kuno
I'm currently reading Dune.

Aw man, that's next on my list. I was hoping to read it before I saw the movie, but I'll probably do it in the opposite order.

Right now I'm currently reading The Passage by John Cronin. I read it a while ago when it first came out but never got to the sequels. So I'm rereading it now so that I can catch up.

Reactions: Ghostly Boo
@CindyLuv Admittedly not a story I've heard about before (Movies/ shows are a different story.) Is it worth a read?

@Icystorm I love how passionate you are about reading! I can appreciate an author who isn't afraid to kill of their characters, I like when books destroy me emotionally...or trick me into a false sense of security. They feel so much more impactful to me.

I have only recently gotten into manga so i haven't discovered any gems that have become my fav but I'm definitely curious and will check that on out. I've only read the (Current popular ones?) Not sure, but MHA and some blue exorcist.

I've definitely been interested in reading lord of the flies I've heard many good things about it and have had it recommended a few times now. I recently read the outsiders and can't recommend it enough, it's become one of my favourites, the movie is also pretty good.

Also do go on I love a good discussion about books and hearing about stories I haven't seen or heard about.

@PavellumPendulum Oh gosh, I haven't been to a library in the longest time. I kinda miss them. Song of Achilles sound really interesting, I've been kinda interested in stuff like that of late. (So many I'm interested in, so little time. The curse of being a reader haha)

@Quetzal I've barely seen any Necromancer related books, I enjoy reading authors spin on creatures/magic and that's on i definitely haven't seen much of but would definitely like to. Also a fan of Avatar the Last Airbender so I might check this out.

@foodforpigs Do you like listening to music while reading? I'm honestly pretty terrible at it, usually splits my focus which sucks.

@LuckycoolHawk9 How are you finding Dune? I've seen it around a lot and have been curious.

@Kuno How's that TBR list going? haha

Just started Metro 2033.

@Ghostly Boo ......EE. Cummings was a poet....he toyed with words and letters like no one before or since

I'm currently reading Bram Stoker's 'Dracula' for fiction. For non-fiction (that's not in my career field) 'Factfulness' by Hans Rosling, and for poetry I just finished Rupi Kaur's 'Milk and Honey'.

Next on the list are Frank Herbert's 'Dune', Niccolo Machiavelli's 'The Prince', and for poetry I was thinking of Ocean Vuong, but if anyone has any recommendations, lemme know!

EDIT: I enjoy both paperback and hardcover, but if I really like a book I want a hardcover so that I can show it off as part of my (growing-out-of-hand) collection.

Reactions: LunaValentine

Finished the Blacktongue Thief. Better than expected. The author manages to make the setting come to life that by the end I was checking to see when the next book would release. I also finished the newest book in the Cradle series, Reaper. A really good entry in the series. There was some slice of life, some life or death, some power progression and even a twist at the end.

@Quetzal I've barely seen any Necromancer related books, I enjoy reading authors spin on creatures/magic and that's on i definitely haven't seen much of but would definitely like to. Also a fan of Avatar the Last Airbender so I might check this out.

I went on a quest to find necromancer books. Sadly there wasn't a lot. But there's two others I can recommend. The Ghosts and Magic series by MR Forbes which is a modern/near future setting with magic and fantasy races. It reminds me of the Shadowrun games with it's mission oriented stories that seem to always go off track. One neat thing about being a necromancer in this book is that the closer you are to dying, the stronger your powers are. So the MC is constantly straddling the line between dying and living another day.

Another that was more of a mix bag of like it or leave it. Was Hold Me Closer Necromancer and the sequel Necromancing the Stone by Lish McBride. I found the sequel to actually be better than the first book. It's an urban fantasy series. But it makes an interesting case for Necromancers not always being the bad guys by the second book. Sadly there was no third book :(

There were a few others. Like the Necromancer's House. But other than that one, most of them were terribly generic fantasy. And didn't really do much with the necromancer to make it original or stand out.

@Ghostly Boo

Ok uh

Look, I'll be honest: I got a bit derailed from reading by junk TV and video games, but I want to hop back on the wagon ASAP lol

I'm loving this thread though. Definitely using it as a book suggestion list