Culture

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mid

White student who was attacked for having dreadlocks hits back

Justin Bieber defends dreadlocks amid cultural appropriation

OHMYGOD phone pressed enter and i couldn't write mah title ;_;

Anyways, I have been seeing this a lot lately in regards to "you can't do that, that belongs to my culture!" and I am like...why?

I saw a beautiful picture of a girl with short curly hair and many arguements blew up in regards to why is this white girl wearing an afro? She aint black! (she looked hispanic tbh) and stuff like that confuses me. Why is it so important to not share things? Why be seperated?

Found it!

Afro_elitedaily-800x400.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
An activist looking to cause a scene? Astounding.

If she wanted to talk about cultural appropriation then maybe she needs to check on the clothes she's wearing, the country she's in, the food she eats, and the education she's being given.

Or really who the fuck cares? Black girl was a bitch and wanted to be a bully. Before long she'll probably try to play the victim card too or something.

Before long she'll probably try to play the victim card too or something.

The sad thing is that there are plenty of people more than willing to jump to her defense, namely Tumblr activists, seeing as how she's more than likely one of them.

The sad thing is that there are plenty of people more than willing to jump to her defense, namely Tumblr activists, seeing as how she's more than likely one of them.
There always is. If not for the sole reason being she's black and a woman too. All this news coverage does is give her ammunition to say it as well

First I heard she was an employee of the school. Then I saw SFSU was San Fran and it all made sense.

Oh hey, the first post got bigger!

Honestly I'm glad this sort of thing rarely/if ever occurs in my town. Not a whole lot of college educated people here.

Kinda wish the guy would've said "What's wrong with multiculturism?" and walked off.

• Love
Reactions: Mid and ☆Luna☆
Its funny because dreadlocks are originally Indian culture anyway. Which should tell people how much it doesn't matter who came up with what hairstyle. "You stole my stolen hairstyle!" So? Its okay that your culture is being shared. That's what culture is for.

Did I just defend Justin Beiber though?

• Love
Reactions: Mid
I've always been a firm believer of;

if you like it than you can do it.

I don't go "oh let me see how French I can dress myself today"

No most of the time, it's like, I really like this pattern, so I feel like wearing it because I look good. Cultural appropriation to me is another world for intolerance. It's hilarious that our PC cultures are always saying we tolerate everyone, except the fact that it's intolerance disguised as tolerance. Let people dress and do their hair as they like that makes them feel good.

First Homestuck's coming to a close, and now I actually agree with Justin Bieber on something... did I die? Did my soul enter some strange purgatory where I'll watch my reality slowly fall apart as more and more absurd and impossible things happen? Have I been dead ever since Trump decided to run for president?

All jokes aside, I agree that cultural appropriation -- or at least this kind of cultural appropriation -- is a bunch of bullshit. Segregating cultures isn't going to breed tolerance. Not only that, but it's ridiculous to think that anyone can police anyone else for appropriating a piece of culture, because, well, I don't care what race or culture you are -- your own culture has mingled with and borrowed from so many other cultures that the majority of your daily life is a product of "cultural appropriation".

Oh, and let's not forget the fact that this whole cultural appropriation shtick often seems to run with the assumption that race = culture, which is simply not true. One's culture is defined by many things, with race only being a single factor. Culture can also be influenced by: nationality, gender, religion, political affiliation, social class, or any other group that you can identify with. And even then, culture is multi-faceted. Every piece of your culture contributes to a greater whole. That being said, a black American Christian upper-class male is more likely to be more culturally similar to a a white American Christian upper-class male than to a black British atheist lower-class female, despite the fact that the British gal is of the same race as him, whereas the white man isn't. Which is precisely why defining "culture" purely as what race you are is ridiculous -- because people of different races can still identify as being part of the same culture, if the culture they're referring to is, say, the American culture, or the Jewish culture, or any other group that they can both identify with and both take the same norms and customs from. Culture isn't just a box that you're placed in purely based on what race you were born into -- it's a much more complicated concept that defines what our norms and values are and what groups we identify with.

Now, earlier I said I was referring to "this kind of cultural appropriation", because I have seen the term used in other contexts where it does have slightly more merit. Specifically, I'm referring to the idea of "wearing another culture as a costume". For example, I've seen people say that dressing up as a Native American or a Mexican for something like Halloween is offensive, because it's degrading to the actual people of those cultures (especially when the costumes are built around stereotypes and the person wearing it clearly has no real knowledge of or appreciation for that culture). This is a point where I can at least understand where people are coming from. I wouldn't exactly go on a crusade against it, but I agree that it it is sort of in bad taste, and I can't blame people for being offended by it.

However, I think there's a huge difference between "treating cultures like a costume to be worn" and actually liking and adopting something from another culture. If a white person wears dreadlocks, they aren't doing it to say "lol i'm black look how black i am" -- they're doing it because they think dreadlocks are cool and there's no reason why they can't also wear dreadlocks. I've seen people say that wearing henna tattoos is offensive because henna is an Indian thing. But like, it's not as if every person who wears henna tattoos is doing it to say "lol i have henna and that makes me indian" -- no, they're doing it because henna is kind of cool and there's no reason why Indians should be the only ones who are allowed to dye temporary patterns onto their skin -- especially if the henna tattoos that non-Indian people are giving themselves have nothing to do with the patterns that are more culturally significant to Indians (as I've been told that henna is really culturally significant for marriage or something, though I am certainly not qualified enough to speak on this topic).

So... yeah, I think the concept of cultural appropriation at least stems from an idea that I can sympathize with, but... Trying to define culture purely based on racial boundaries and punishing someone for appropriating anything from a culture that doesn't "belong" to them? That's just absurd.

I saw a beautiful picture of a girl with short curly hair and many arguements blew up in regards to why is this white girl wearing an afro? She aint black! (she looked hispanic tbh) and stuff like that confuses me. Why is it so important to not share things? Why be seperated?
Do you really wish to know how deep this rabbit hole goes? Alright. Fine.

The people who cry out cultural appropriation base their identity around what is distinctly physical. They claim to speak on behalf of entire groups of people based on race or sex. Their world view isn't based on "that's jerry and shauna," it's based on "that's a white man and a black woman." It's collectivist and holds its origins from some of the more extreme wings of the old left, which crept into movements like feminism in the 70's & 80's and fully manifested itself from the 90's onwards. It's why everything is intersectional now too, and why there's a race to victimhood: The greater the victim status, the greater the level of power one has in the identity game. Because now, your individual value as a human being doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if you landed a probe on a comet, if you wear the wrong clothes as a white male? You're a bad person.

If black people do a thing, and white people want to do that thing too, that's white people trying to steal black culture: Not an individual holding a fascination with something. Samantha buys a kimono because she has a fascination with Japanese culture? Here, just put on these PC glasses: Now it's white women stealing Japanese iconography and making it their own! Cultural imperialism! Samantha is a terrible person now!

The entire cultural appropriation movement is built on collectivist thinking trumping individual value. You, as the individual, do not matter. Your life does not matter. The circumstances under which you acquired the fascination doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is which social class you belong to. Which, for the cultural appropriation tag, is based on your race and sex. You're dehumanized to your skin tone and gender, the fact that you are more than the sum of those parts is irrelevant.

Perhaps the worst crime is they don't want to allow culture to evolve. They want to ziplock bag n' freeze every culture on Earth the way it is, and not allow it to progress and become better through interactions. Cultures are as rich and diverse as they are because people intermixed ideas and practices throughout the centuries. They don't want to allow white people to adopt motifs from black culture, because that might mean white and black culture in the United States will start to mix together and, after a certain point, become indistinguishable from one another.

You know, that very thing necessary to tear down the racial walls and improve and promote understanding? To heal the grievous wounds that still fester the US on a social level?

Yeah. They want to stop that, because they want to preserve black culture at any cost. Even to the detriment of everyone else.

Hey I think dreads are cool, really gross but cool.

Friend of mine in college had dreads. She was beautiful. Nobody gave her shit.

This reminds me of how a bunch of people in this Tumblr culture insist that white people can't experience racism because whites are the dominant race.

Go fuck yourselves.

I find these types of things really frustrating and hard to grasp. I always find this more. . .racist? Maybe it's from my lack of understanding it, but I always think of what if a 'white person' did this to someone of a different race? All hell would break loose and these people would be seen as racist and it would never be labeled as culture appropriation.

Reactions: Windsong
I find it funny how people only bitch about this when a white person does it. But if a black person were to wear a kimono or something similar, it'd be perfectly fine right?

I'm surprised no one bitched about this character yet:

maxresdefault.jpg

I even saw a post on Facebook where a black woman said her culture gets more love than her existence. Needless to say, I trolled the living hell out of her while sharing her post.

Seriously this is a bunch of bullshit. I've also seen people who whine about cultural appropriation speak out against interracial dating. Hmmmmm......

CA is bullshit and definitely not a thing. Never has been and never will be.

Cultural appropriation is definitely A Thing, but much like other real 'things', rabid activists have taken it too far and made it seem like a joke of a concept. Wearing dreadlocks is not cultural appropriation. Why, of all things, is this a hill someone wants to die on? I don't understand.

Reactions: Touch of Insanity
Who cares? Honestly, if someone has the tolerance to wear dreads more power to them. They look uncomfortable to me. =/

I don't see the problem. Every culture borrows something from another culture. There are very few who can claim that they truly own something, because chances are centuries down the line that idea/hairstyle/tool came from somewhere else.

Cultural appropriation is definitely A Thing, but much like other real 'things', rabid activists have taken it too far and made it seem like a joke of a concept. Wearing dreadlocks is not cultural appropriation. Why, of all things, is this a hill someone wants to die on? I don't understand.
Because people don't seem to understand the difference between imperialism and appropriation.

Imperialism is burning someone's house down, then putting your house on top of it, and claiming you thought to live there first. (Like what Europeans did to native Americans via "colonizing" the Americas.)
Appropriation is painting your house the same colour as your neighbour's house, because you think it looks pretty, without asking their permission. (Like buying Japanese paraphernalia, or adopting Japanese philosophies, as a European, without asking a Japanese person about it first.)

The former is destructive, the latter is at worst... Irritating?

Basically, people are mixing up cultural exchanges for cultural obliteration. They use these terms interchangeably and all it's demonstrating is a profound lack of understanding of what real oppression means.

• Thank You
Reactions: SacredWarrior
Can't wait to fly my collector's Confederate flag then!

But that's different, imo.

And either way I agree, the Confederate Flag is still a piece of history. And is a historical monument. Personally I think it should be only used in the setting of let's a historical musuem or some kind of significant historical tie to the confederate flag.

But everywhere else, it should be common sense not to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.