CRYSTALIS

Amber and I are about half-way across the bridge when the ogre decides to take offence to it's existence.

Gripping the wooden stakes that hold the bridge in place, all be it precariously, he begins to tear it out of the earth in an attempt to send both myself and Amber plunging down into the river below. I may be dressed for cold weather, but I'm sure as hell not prepared for taking a plunge in ice-cold water.
"Now would be a good time to run faster, Amberosa!" I yell to the girl ahead of me as we move as fast as we can across the bridge. The shaking planks of ancient wood that make up the bridge don't make for easy footing, however; we're not making good enough time.

Behind me, I hear another roar and feel the bridge shake violently. Glancing over my shoulder, I see what looks like an arrow protruding from the ogre's shoulder. Some unseen benefactor, maybe? Or did Kati pack more toys with her?

Seriously, that's a weird one. I was under the impression girls brought iPods and laptops to camps, not handguns.

The bridge just about giving out on me snaps me back to the reality of the situation. Amber's just about reached the other side, but I've still got another six seconds or so before I'll be safe.

And that six seconds could be all it takes for the ogre to send me down into the river.

Just as Amber crosses the threshold between bridge and solid ground, the ogre is simultaneously hit by another arrow and succeeds in wrenching out the bridge. Gravity, the bitch that it is, kicks in and suddenly where there was a bridge underneath me before there's nothing but thin air. Swearing, I flail my arms out wildly in an attempt to grab onto the bridge as it swings into the side of the valley, just managing to grab one of the trailing ropes before it slips out of my reach.

I'm hauled along by the broken bridge, into the rough side of the valley with an unpleasant thud. The wind is knocked from my lungs and I hang there, gasping for air as the ogre behind me roars furiously. Malicious son of a bitch, I've got to say.

But then again, I did call him fat.

"Oh, crap, no!" Kati was trying to figure out whether or not she had helped Harry or just made the situation worse. Either way, the ogre was still alive roaring about, bleeding like crazy, but still very much alive, and the bridge was utterly destroyed with Harry hanging on its remains for dear life. Kati hopped down from the tree and ran towards the clearing like crazy. What would she do when she got there? She had no idea. Reaching the river and what used to be the bridge, Harry and Amberosa turned to look at her with some surprise. Kati looked all around, searching for something, anything that could help. The ogre turned around and looked at Kati, as well, roaring in pleasure at another meal. "Dammit, I forgot about, you!" she yelled. The ogre charged at her in a limp-like fashion, and just when he had reached her, he belted out another ear-aching roar, followed by gushing blood out of his chest. Kati yanked the switchblade out then swung it around on her finger. "Don't charge at me, ASSHOLE!!!!! I'M NOT ON THE MENU!!!" she mocked. The ogre fell to it's knees. Having been struck twice with metal arrows and stabbed with a 10-inch switch blade, the gorous monster couldn't take any more injuries. It was dying. Kati stepped over the beast and stood near the riverside. Kati yelled over the rushing water at Amberosa, "Hey! Amber! You can't just sit there! We have to do something! Is there anything you have that can pull Harry back up?!"

sceneKati.jpg

Amber was near close to tears! All she wanted to do was get away and get a little adventure. To see the world outside of her home. She didn't think adventure was going to come with ogres and crazy ladies! But with the boy hanging precariously off the ledge, something needed to be done quick.

Scooting to the edge, Amber grabbed on to the rope Harry desperately clang too and tried to help haul it back up. It bit in to her soft hands and she had very little strength, but she tried her hardest. Yet, even with her pulling she could see the frayed pieces of the rope starting to give way with Harry's unsupported weight.

"The rope is snapping...! Climb up!"

Unknown to Amber, the rope was not the only thing failing. Part of the ledge was starting to crumble as well!

Kati looked on at the scene while desperately looking around for something, anything that could help. Nothing, but freakin trees and snow!!! Kati looked down at Harry, and at the water, and Amberosa and back at Harry again. Even though she'd be risking her life, she knew she had no choice, but to. She took a deep breath, closed her eyes, and jumped into the ice cold, merciless water. At first, she had thought she'd died, but as she flailed her arms around under the water, she managed to swim back up. Groaning and shivering, the teenager swam as quickly as she could over to Harry and grabbed his legs. "Amber........I'll push.......and you pull, okay?" she said her voice quivering. She hoped Amber would hurry. She was beginning to lose feeling in her legs......