1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. One post per week
  3. Slow As Molasses
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Adaptable
Genres
romance. angst. drama. modern. fantasy. supernatural. adventure. crime. period pieces.
"Crutch words slip into sentences in order to give the speaker more time to think or to emphasize a statement. Over time, they become unconscious verbal tics. Most often, crutch words do not add meaning to a statement." - Dictionary.com

The six most used crutch words in the English language are:
- Actually
- Literally
- Basically
- Honestly
- Obviously

Oh and there is a lot more than those xD but here's my question, what other unique words do you use commonly and inappropriately as a crutch? What crutch words do you use most often? What words do you use to ruin your sentence?

I want to know, can you show me! I want to know about the strangers like me~!

Last edited:
I use 'like' a lot.

I also use 'hmm' all the time XD

And I also say 'oh dear' enough that it's almost a crutch word.

• Haha
Reactions: MaryGold
I use 'like' a lot.

I also use 'hmm' all the time XD

And I also say 'oh dear' enough that it's almost a crutch word.
Don't forget "Hmmm" :P

"honestly" in text and "like" in real life. Dx

every single word in the english language is a crutch word for me

i use them all

all of them

like a normal human being

'honestly'/'to be honest'
'uhhh'
'dude' < when I started using 'dude' or 'my dude' so much, I do not know, but it has gotten a lil obnoxious

I find myself saying 'oh' A LOT as well as 'well' (noooooo), 'actually', 'mah bro' (with family mainly xD) and FUNDAMENTALLY. It never makes sense when I use it I guarantee ;D

Reactions: RAIN.cloud
Apparently I'm still stuck in the mid 2000s because I keep using 'xD' too much...

Bruh | Bruuuuhhhh | BRVVVH
Or any variant of the above I use all the time
And yes the last one is meant to have v in it

'Like' is a staple of my speech deal with it

'Hrmmm' or ' hrmm hrmm hrmm' are definitely my thinking words

As well as pfffft

These are more sounds but I don't care I use them on a daily basis in every conversation. Sue me.

• Bucket of Rainbows
For speaking things when I was in school, I worked to get a couple of bad speaking habits under control. That included making a concerted effort to not use "uh/um" and "like" when I speak (unless the like was needed for a valid reason) and also to try to stop some of my bad body language things (hard time standing still, I tend to sway a little in place when I'm focused and speaking).

It's been several years since that now and I let "well" and "like" back in when I speak English. I somewhat agree with the view that they can have a role in conversations, though, just not public speaking. If I were to do more public speaking, though, I'd probably have to do another round of intentionally cutting those now.

My crutch words online are hmmm and hi. Though I disagree with the like crutch word for one reason in writing. Similes.

Example: Her eyes are shining like the stars in the sky.

Her eyes are shining the stars in the sky.

That being said, if you are abusing it outside of similes, then yeah they are crutch words.

My crutch word is totally "Well", I use that word too much now that I'm thinking about it!

I say "Um/Uh" a lot. 'Tis a habit. >.<

• Bucket of Rainbows
A few other things I say (one @CrystalTears pointed out once) is "To be honest" and "To be fair"

I also say "terrible" more than I should.

• Bucket of Rainbows
As an Australian i can speak for most of my fellow countrymen and add mate to the list of crutch word