Crimson Soul - Q&A

Are we allowed to make a character that is available to be paired with as a Knight or do we have to have someone in mind before making the profile?

[MENTION=5759]solReaper[/MENTION]: No, you do not have to wait to have a partner in mind first.

As a follow up, am I supposed to mention "Hey I'm here to be a Knight" in my bio so someone who's looking to make a Soulmate can pair up with him?

[MENTION=5759]solReaper[/MENTION]: If you're STARTING as a normal denizen, then you can post in the OOC chat mentioning that you're looking for a Soulmate for the future. If you want to begin play as a Knight, just post the partially-finished sheet in the submissions thread and then again advertise in the OOC for a partner.

Just a clarification, what's the time setting of the plot? O_O

Good day! I just want some clarification here.

I have made my character from an old IW character I had, Faramond. I remember him having two reality-bending powers ("Unlimited Despair Works", and "Zone-out"), one of which he had from the start. However, as I understood this IW's rules, you can only have reality-bending powers iff you're a Crimson Cadre or one of the rare infected. It seems to me that it's unfair to other players if I get to have those powers just because I've had them the last time anyways.

I have an explanation I'm currently working on for those powers, but it will depend on his being "from the real world." The explanation is as follows:
Faramond, through his being "sucked" into Iwaku, has been to the void between the worlds, and in the process, got tainted by the Cadre. He's got no memory of this, however, and simply assumes that he got his powers simply because he got "sucked" into Iwaku.​

The way I've written him for now, however, it just seems that he simply deluded himself to believe that he's from another world. But then again, this might just be because of the "taint" messing up with his memories.

I'll be linking my character sheet here just for reference: https://www.iwakuroleplay.com/threads/character-submission-thread.32940/page-2#post-906261

Any thoughts about this? Thanks.

[MENTION=4780]Lorchenne[/MENTION]: Whoa, I totally did not get a notification about your post! I'm sorry!

There is no "time setting" for this game, as it doesn't take place in "our world". The genre is "urban fantasy" with some genre-blending, so the setting is modern-ish with fantasy elements (and some rare sci-fi high tech).

[MENTION=4443]megane-kun[/MENTION]: I'm iffy on a dimension-hopping character. This incarnation of the Mythos isn't a sandbox; the plot very much revolves around the invasion of Iwaku by outside forces and the conflict that arises from people who you know and trust being infected. Playing an outsider will make it very hard to get you involved in the story. I've already said no to one extradimensional character, so I'm not likely to approve another without a really good plot hook.

And yes, Reality Bending IS restricted to the Crimson Cadre and to a small number of the Infected.

I will take a look at your character sheet shortly, but I leave most of the approvals up to Grumpy. You'll be hearing from him shortly if you haven't already. (I'm a little behind due to RL stuff and need to catch up. >___> *Is a terribad GM*)

Ohhh hey it's fine, me too. Um if I don't hear from Grumpy, that means I'm out?

[MENTION=4780]Lorchenne[/MENTION]: No, you should hear from him either way. If he can't approve your sheet, he will tell you what needs to be fixed. If you are approved, he should also tell you, or I will have to shank him.

If you haven't heard from him yet, it is either because your sheet isn't fully filled out orrrr because we have had really busy lives and haven't gotten to it yet! D:

I think we're all busy. /sweatdrop
But that's okay. I totally understand.

Okay, I've gotten word from Grumpy already, and I am about to edit Faramond's powers after this post (something about the "Unlimited Despair" power, as well as some adjustments to the "Zone Out" power).

I am currently changing the history of his character so as to completely remove the "dimension hopping" aspect from him, making him mostly delusional. This is currently my draft of his history (which I'll fill in with more detail after I am sure this would be acceptable):
Faramond was an orphan picked up by the Crimson Horde during one of their many raids to the countryside. He was dragged along the Horde for the purposes of doing menial labor, but daily abuse led to his escape. The horde couldn't bother chasing after an errand boy when they could just as easily pick up another, and thus Faramond was let off easily.​
Faramond was an orphan picked up by the Crimson Horde during one of their many raids to the countryside. He was dragged along the Horde for the purposes of doing menial labor, but daily abuse led to his escape. The horde couldn't bother chasing after an errand boy when they could just as easily pick up another, and thus Faramond was let off easily.​
His time with the Horde, however, gave Faramond not only his reality-bending powers--it also gave him his (false) memories. That is, his memories of being from the "real world", his witnessing the Elder Invasion from the sidelines, the events in Anirune Forest, etc, are all just his hallucinations, a side-effect of all the Insanity he's been exposed to while he was with the Horde.​
Anyways, as he escaped the Horde, he faced exhaustion and hunger. And this is where he got rescued by a woman, who let him live with her for a while. As he lived this idyllic life, his (false) memories brought trouble as he started yearning to "go back" to his "real world". Torn between the perfect life he was living at the moment, and the ideal past of his memories, he despaired to the point of breakdown. His "Unlimited Despair" power got activated and led him to his killing his woman companion, fully intending to kill himself soon after. However, as soon as he killed his woman companion, his despair grew so strong that he couldn't even lift his sword.​
As soon he regained some semblance of sanity, he buried his woman companion and decided that it's best to forget everything that happened and that he find his way back to his "real world".​
(Please feel free to disregard the last two paragraphs if it's too melodramatic or dark.)​
I am doubting that this would be okay though, since it still contains references to the previous mythos (which already ended with Dark Reign). So at the moment, I am considering doing a complete do-over and starting from scratch.

[MENTION=4443]megane-kun[/MENTION]: The only problem I have with that backstory is that part of the tension early on in this game is going to involve the gates of Iwaku City being barred while the Cadre lay siege, leaving everyone clueless as to what is going on out in the rest of the world. Your character being outside of the city will undermine that conflict.

Ah, thanks.

Forcing that backstory in would mean I would have to:
  1. Make my character be in the city (for employment or whatever) for some time before time the story starts, and stay there.
  2. Make my character a very unreliable source of information so as whatever information he might share with the others, it wouldn't be believable.
But that still doesn't solve the problem of involving my character into the story as a whole. Hm... A wandering vagrant stuck in a city under siege might be appealing to me, but I might have to think of something that my character has to offer to the story.

I guess, for now, I'll go with those two ideas pending any ideas for a new character I can register and replace this one with. Sorry for any inconvenience I've brought so far to you guys.

----------
PS:
Rereading the description you've given of the world and its situation with what you've said in mind, I get the impression that no one in Iwaku, except for the Moonwings, would have any contact with the Crimson Cadre until they actually invade, which is at the start of the actual story.

If that's the case, please disregard what I've written earlier. There can't be any contact between Faramond and the Crimson Cadre since the Crimson Cadre themselves aren't yet in Iwaku prior to the start of the story.

If I will really push this character, then I'll make him a stowaway in the Moonwing's ship, and make the rest of his backstory happening in the Moonwings' world instead of Iwaku. That might bring a whole new lot of complications. Hm...

I really need to think this through. Sorry again for the inconvenience.

Last edited by a moderator:
[MENTION=4443]megane-kun[/MENTION]: You're fine. :] I'd be a pretty piss-poor GM if I didn't answer questions from players. Besides, I want everyone to play a character that they will not only enjoy but which will let them get the most out of the story. Honestly, my goal for this game is for every character to have their own subplot or at least to be PART of a subplot that ties into the main storyline. My main concern is making sure everyone has that chance, so if I say no to something, I have a good reason.

Thanks. I've edited my previous post here in light of some realizations.

If what I've included in my edit is infact the case, I might have to go talk to some in the Moonwings faction to check if it's plausible, and if they're okay with there being a stowaway in their ship.

[MENTION=4443]megane-kun[/MENTION]: As far as I'm concerned, a stowaway on the Moonwings' ship is totally fine. If you want to plot with someone about some backstory, though, go for it.

Thanks!~ *goes to work in adding detail to Faramond's history*

Cery and I were/are making a Soulmate/Knight combination and we're wondering if we can use Mending/Malice as a combination for the spheres?

sniff

I legit need more examples of Confluence, Dreamweavin' and Soul Arts. halp

(p.s. Me'n Effart are gonna Aes Sedai and Ward--- Soulmate/Knight it up)

Scratch the above question, but I have another one to ask. Are wings useable here? Like, not just for show, they'd have a point in battle.