1. Multiple posts per day
  2. 1-3 posts per day
Writing Levels
  1. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Third time lucky?

maybe

Liavetta skipped through the streets, seaweed hair bouncing behind her as she swung her little wicker basket by her side. Her simple blue dress didn't really get in the way much, and she was glad. She'd hate to trip over on the way to the market, after all.

Connor sighed, pulling the skull further down to hide his dark skin. Why he had to come here, he'd never know. The drake skull he wore served as a testament to his fighting, sure, and it was intimidating to see a 7ft lanky void beast sliding through the market streets.
He didn't like the sun. He didn't like how tall he was. He'd much rather shrink down to his usual size- a pool of shadows- and crawl under the nearest stall and spend the day there watching the market. But no, he'd been sent by his parents to "interact" and "keep an eye on Liavetta" this tiny sea nymph he was helping. She may as well be an imp. At 3ft5, she wasn't exactly going anywhere fast anytime soon. But she was enjoying herself, and seeing her happy was good enough for him.

"Did you ask directions for the parade or what?" The voice was impatient, with a low, croaky note to it. It reminded Sazae of frogs singing in the reeds.
"No. Guess I forgot." She managed to break out of her reverie to respond. How many seconds had passed since he asked that? She was distracted. Mainly because it was market day. Countless stalls lined the streets selling colourful trinkets; fresh farm produce, wool and silks, exotic animals. She knew she was much too poor to purchase the latter, but she longed to buy a human anyway. They looked mouth-watering. A luxury she couldn't afford.

"Whatever. I'll ask then." Tachi sniffed. He veered off into the crowd, disappearing amongst the taller figures. She surpressed a laugh. It was sort of comical watching crowds side-step around her friend, him being so short they had to look down to avoid a colllision. He scampered over to what looked like a knowledgable figure, a creature standing aimlessly with two squawling progeny in tow. His voice was so distinctive she could hear him from where he stood.
"Hi." Tachi waved briefly under the creature's shoulders, making an attempt to get their attention. "Yeah. Hi. Couldya point me in the direction of the Yokai Parade?" Sazae lingered by a stall selling shaved ice. Too tempting on a hot day. She ordered a plastic cone of ice with strawberry syrup on top.
"No, yeah, thanks. That's really helpful." There's Tachi in the distance, running off. Sazae fed the cone to the back of her head daintily, spoonful by spoonful, hearing the mouth behind the curtain of her hair hum appreciatively.

"Yo! Sazae! Would you believe this shit? They're holding it down the Lows district this year." Tachi emerged from the crowd, paws spread in disbelief, red muzzle curled with a grimace. He sidles up alongside her.
"If we walk, we should get there by night." Sazae pouted with the mouth on her face to show her displeasure, yet she's sure the other mouth pouts too.
"Can't we find a way to get there earlier? You know I like the parade better when they're still flying the streamers. It gets rowdy at night." What she really means is, she sees too many of Tachi's lowlife friends when the days start getting darker, and those who are too fond of liquor and brawls come out into the street light's glow, like vermin.

"Sorry." He says it like "Saw-ry."
"No can do, babe. Theres just no way we'll make it before then, unless you got transport money." He shook his head, like it was one hell of a shame, and then brightened.
"But hey!" He gave her his weasel grin, and she knew he was reveling in the idea of hitting the streets when the moon shone bright.
"I heard the girls are coming this year. Maybe you'll see 'em around?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Saiki huffed as she tightened the sash around her waist. Her outfit was complete for the performance tonight; one of a few Yokai amongst her crew that would be performing at the parade tonight. There were other crews, so it wasn't like she'd have the crowd's entire attention on her.
Her right ear flicked, nose twitching as she looked over at the doorway. Her paws quickly clutched at the ribbon she'd be twirling.
"Nura, I can hear you."
The familiar shape of her Karasu-Tengu friend filled the doorway, grinning as he leaned against the doorframe. "Nothing escapes your attention, does it, little Nekomata?"
Saiki responded with a hiss, turning back to the mirror and lifting a flower brooch that she was trying to fix into her hair. A pink blossom. It matched her outfit, honestly, minus the purple sash at her waist. "Are you ready, at least?"
"But of course I am. Are you?"
"You can see that, bird-brain. What about Maiki?"
"You think I'm going to risk going into a Harionago's room? She laughs at me every time she sees me!"
"It's a test," Saiki teased. "You laughed at her yet?"
"Of course I laughed back, I thought there was something funny."
Saiki just huffed out a laugh, fixing the clasp in place and picking up her ribbon. "Let's go find her, then. We have a parade to partake in."

They arrive at the parade just as the sun is setting, first orange to pink and then pink to purple. Sazae knows she wont see the stars because of the light pollution in the city. It's disappointing, especially when she had attended so many festivals back home under the shining stars. Nothing reminds her of home in the city. It's a severing of everything she's ever known, from the private secrecy she cloaked herself in, and the quiet of the country.

She sees Tachi in his element as he passes by performers just setting up. He cranes his neck to marvel at them from his place on the ground. They stand on brightly coloured stages, helping set up equipment for the show. They pass by some of Tachi's old aquaintances. He takes his time greeting them. To think, all of them were dashed together into familiarity again by one day of the year.

"Hey, isn't that Megumi?" He nudges Sazae, pointing out the horn shape on an Oni amongst a crowd of others. Megumi is wearing ribbons on her horns. Flowers line the fur down her back. She's dressed specially for the occasion.
"There's Kotori too." Sazae observes, recognizing her curved tusks. Tachi snickers briefly at the ironic name.
"What's Kotori wearing I wonder?" Tachi squints. "Hmmm, hoola hoops for earrings.. A punched-through tambourin in place of a bracelet.. and oooh, a stylish tire choker. Very in season." Kotori, unaware of Tachi's far away remark, slings an arm around Megumi. She dances and makes the bells around her thick wrists ring.

"Don't be mean. You're exaggerating." Sazae chides, but she can't help letting out a laugh.
Not a lot of jewellry got made for Oni's, unless it was requested custom made. So of course her friends had to improvise. What fit a Nekomata vould hardly fit an Oni, after all.

Saiki looked out over the crowd. She saw a familiar Oni nearby; they'd be following her group's performance. She'd spoken with them before. They were nice enough folk, though she hadn't spoken with them much. She was undoubtedly the social one of the group, and usually talked with the other producers beforehand.

Maiki was finishing up the preparations, her hair waving around her to shield her off from prying eyes. She usually did this sort of thing to avoid accidentally seeing a man, as she'd just start laughing at them, and she didn't want to attack every person she met. She'd already attacked Nura far too many times.

The man in question was stretching his wings, ready for the performance. He was planning to swoop around the stage and help with the effects, his huge wings blowing the smoke in various directions. He'd be helping Saiki look stunning and catch the crowd's eye, and make Maiki look terrifying during her performance.

Arrow had picked his spot and was camped out on the pavement, sandwiched between other eager Creatures waiting for the parade. With a blanket laid out, he sat on the edge of the curb with Blue lying beside him, eating cinnamon-sugared waffles from a paper cone he'd bought at a nearby stall.
"This spot's incredible," he said in awe, admiring the perfect view he had of the wide street the parade would come down through his black sunglasses. Blue nudged his arm with her wet nose and Arrow fed her a corner of his waffle. The tips of his fingers were sticky with sugar.
"This is the best place to watch the parade," said Lady Cecilia. She sat beside him, looking of an entirely separate class with her backless, pastel-blue summer dress and chic round sunglasses. Her silvery red hair fell down her shoulders and she sipped a large milkshake, tinged red with the human blood she'd added to taste. "My father brought me here every year for it. We always got chairs, though - we never sat on the pavement."
"Chairs?" said Arrow incredulously, his thick black eyebrows furrowing as he looked across at her. "You haven't lived if you haven't sat on the floor and then elbowed your way through to the front of the crowd when the parade finally comes past. Although," he added, noticing with a smile the lack of people getting in the Baroness' way, "we probably won't have to fight to see with you here."
Cecilia felt a rush of warmth come over her as she looked at her friend. He positively glowed in the sun - his bronze Phoenix skin was made for this weather, and much of it was exposed due to his thin v-neck, its short sleeves rolled up even further to try and cool his perpetually warm body down. Behind them, like two icy-eyed Sphinxes, Kastra and Altair lounged. Arrow glanced back at Kas and she held his gaze steadily. Many unspoken words passed quickly between them while Cecilia's interest was captured elsewhere, and Arrow reached out to trail his fingers across her feathers. They both sighed.

Megumi's straw-like hair was braided down her exposed red back in a thick plait. She was wearing traditional leopard fur to cover her front, posing for pictures whilst toting a large, formidable looking club. She drew it back as if batting for a crowd of amused tourists. Then a camera was traded between hands, from husband to wife and a creature stepped forward, grinning as the Oni made to scowl playfully at him. She bared her tusks theatrically as the two of them stood for another snapshot.
"Thank you, uh-"
"Megumi." She bent to introduce herself. Another family came, took their photos, left in a wave.
"Pay to keep the Oni from your door! A packet of soybeans for three credits!" Came the announcement from a well-dressed Tanuki, another showman. He handed out packets with small black claws, standing by a vendor. Megumi laughed good-naturedly as a group came by, throwing the beans at her. She mock growled as the small things bounced off her shoulders and torso. Children squealed, saying the banishing chant in a rushed, overlapping howl. It was an old saying, something that at some time used to be said sincerely at some point, reflected back as fun and games for the new generation of creatures.
"Demons out, luck in! Oni wa soto! Fuku wa uchi!"

"Megumi's a good sport." Sazae said to no one in particular, admiring how she dealt with everyone who passed with such ease and friendliness. She knew herself that if Megumi and her traded places she wouldn't like having to bark and roll over for a crowd of yuppies. Even if she herself didn't see the appeal, she supposed the root of the parade's attraction was deeply imbedded in the plain novelty of gathering to see other creatures from different parts of the world put on a show.

She had flown over just to be here, and yet a nagging part of her felt isolated all the more for it.

"I really wanted to be here in the day."
Tachi looked her over with beady eyes, frowning.

How could she tell him just how much she couldn't stand the night? When sightseers, drunk and made bold by the festivities would inevitably demand to see her mouth, would even flash credits by her, saying they'd pay to see her eat with it. They felt entitled to see her chittering back teeth because she looked so human from the front. Like a security card she had to flash so often just to prove she had a right to be amongst the other Yokai. She felt a gnawing bitterness about being there suddenly. The parade had changed over the years. It used to be remiscent of an old form of activism, displaying monstrous delights to scare the humans, the normals, in a time where they shared the same living space. An act of reclamation. Now the parade had sponsors, celebrities who couldn't give a damn about anything to do with her attended, corrupt corners of the city had slipped through the cracks of the parade unseen.

Saiki leapt enthusiastically, twirling and spinning between Maiki's locks as they lashed towards her. Maiki only had to pretend Saiki was a man who'd laughed at her; it was a general rule that Nura enforced that prevented the many males that passed by from laughing at the performance, at Maiki. In any case, she doubted anyone would laugh at the way she spun and narrowly dodged blade after blade, grabbing and swinging off of the strands of hair. Nura swept about them, doing his own acrobatics but keeping well clear of the Harionago who was still trying to hit the agile catlike yokai. Occasionally he'd dive down towards the crowd, who'd squeal and dart out of the way, only for him to offer tokens with each of them burned into the wood "for good luck! Five credits each!"
Whenever someone would buy one, he'd hand them the token before grabbing the money, swooping back into the sky with a harsh caw to the delight of the customers and resuming his performance.

Liavetta swayed from side to side, hands folded in her lap while she waited impatiently for the parade to come by. Connor, beside her, was finally able to shrink his size down to make it seem like he was sitting. He'd tried to slink off under the nearest stall- even tried to merge into Liavetta's shadow- but the girl had complained. She wanted "a physical companion that I can see and talk to, not a copy of my shadow!"

Connor had countered that by shifting into an exact form of her. Albeit nothing more than a shadow version of her, but all the same. She'd been amused, at least.

Now they were sat on the side of the curb, and Connor had taken on his usual male form. Liavetta leaned against him, and he reluctantly remained solid. He waited for the parade to come by.

Sazae watched for a lull in the crowd surrounding Kotori and Megumi. She walked forwards, ignoring the sighs from Tachi. Megumi raised her head for a moment, sniffing the air, before locking her eyes on Sazae. She brightened visibly, and then charged at Sazae like a bull, a display which would have frightened some if they didn't know the friendly intention behind it.
"Saz!" The young Futakuchi was drawn into a bone-crushing hug.
"How've you been?" She felt hot breath down her neck, large palms on her back.

"Good, good. And you?" She whispered, the air forced out of her by the embrace. Megumi finally withdrew, looking from her friend to Tachi, who stood awkwardly around Sazae. She placed her hands on her wide hips, smiling at them both, before calling Kotori over her shoulder.
It surprised Saz when she saw that upon closer inspection, Kotori was wearing military clothing, seeming like she was all set to go into battle as she swaggered towards their general direction.

"I'm not going to lie Saz, the folks here are nice and all, but I swear if another person politely asks if they can touch my horns... I'm going to bash someone's brains in." Megumi finally answered after some thought.

Sazae laughed.
"When did you guys show up?" Kotori said.

"Oh, you know. Just a while ago." Tachi replied vacantly, looking at a pair of acrobats swinging and lurching wildly in front of an amazed audience. He didn't know the two Oni as well as Sazae knew them, them being fond classmates, and made a mental plan to slip away in favour of watching a few acts and getting drunk.

"You hungry?" Megumi asked abruptly, clapping her hands together.

"Always." Said the mouth round the back of Sazae's head, speaking for her.

"That hardass Tanuki over there is giving me a half hour break to check out the rest of the parade." She jabbed a thumb in the creature's direction. "We could all go get something to eat?"

Nura was bored. That was the simplest way of putting it. Saiki and Maiki had their act, and he was done with his. He now just strolled around the grounds, offering tokens and collecting money while Saiki spun high above him.

There wasn't really a time where Saiki felt more free. Maiki and her spent a lot of time practising like this, and she knew it always mesmerised the crowds. Maiki sent a few daggers straight up in a bunch, and Saiki dodged, before grabbing on and twirling down them in a similar way to the pole dancers she'd seen in other areas of the city. That earned her a few whoops and whistles as she resumed her performance. She knew Maiki kept an eye out, much like she and Nura did, for any trouble. There was always someone that had to ruin the fun.

It was cool for a summer night. Sazae shuffled her overcoat to fit it more snuggly around her shoulders. The air was sweet, smelling of cotton candy and hot food as she breathed it in. As she walked with Megumi and Kotori, (she'd lost sight of Tachi), she became distinctly aware of the stamp of footsteps behind her. The clank of metal, the clatter of helmets.
Kotori raised her head, and then turned around to face the noise.
"Ah! Hello Commander Demine." She quickly made a gesture of respect. Sazae saw that Megumi had stopped walking ahead and turned around reluctantly. Her back mouth, impatient and starting to fuss, hissed at another delay in getting food. She shushed it, pushing down trendrils of black hair.
Commander Demine, a tall, lithe Kijo, flanked by two Namahages, addressed them with a nod.
"Kotori. Megumi." Her gaze lingered on Sazae briefly before she glanced away.
"You have a human with you. Just where did you win one of those? Prince here," she gestured to the rough-faced Namahage youth to her side, "has been trying to win one in those pointless carnie games all night." She chuckled. "I said to him, you've payed so many damn credits trying to win the thing you might as well have bought it."

Kotori blanched. "Ah, actually commander, she's not a human. This is Sazae." Sazae, used to being misidentified, turned around curtly with an internal sigh, exposing the large mouth under a nest of hair. It smiled at the commander.

"Ye gods!" Prince muttered, lifting his element over his eyes so he could see the mouth better.
The commander, taking the correction with a grimace, looked her over.
"You must get mistaken a lot." She said cooly.

Maiki whipped her hair upwards, hurtling Saiki high into the night sky, before tying the many strands together in the air to form a bowl. Saiki, at the peak of her jump, threw a sparkling burst of confetti over her head, before falling back down into the nest of Maiki's hair. She was gently let down to the ground to the applause of the crowd as they dispersed, moving on to new and more interesting things.
"We should go get something to eat," Nura said, offering the two drinks of water which was graciously accepted.
"I could use some sake."
"It's too early."
"But-"
"Saiki."
"Fiiiiine~ Let's go get food." The trio began to wander, drawing nearer to Kotori and the others.

Much to Sazae's chagrin, Commander Demine walked with them idly in their search for food. The Namahage by her side were drunk, and conversation between them consisted of wild exclamations and raucous laughter at anything the commander said. The group veered near Maiki and Saiki, the Namahage youth turning in their direction to glance at them briefly. He tipped his helment, grinning. The commander walked on Megumi's side, making an obvious attempt to avoid a potential awkward interaction with Sazae.
"This parade," Demine started, reminded of a thought that had occured to her briefly as they passed a group on stage simply handing out merchandise to screaming fans, "when did it get so monopolized?" She shook her head.

"The moment they started letting military have their run of it." Sazae said, rolling her eyes, earning a hard elbow in the ribs from Kotori. Oh, yeah. She forgot Kotori bought into that stuff now. She'd signed up the day they started putting the barricades up. Strange to think, even on a fine summer's eve, a war was waging somewhere.

The commander openly sneered at Sazae, her dislike for the girl fully cemented now. She had tried to remain neutral. Of course she had tried. Even when she felt the humiliation of mistaking her for human, she accepted it was her own fault and moved on. But now, the girl showed open resentment for her cause!

"But without the military on hand here to protect you, what would you do, let's say, if the enemy saw this parade as an opportunity to strike? I'm assuming cower." Demine shot back with feeling. Know-it-all civilian.

Saiki tried her best to direct Maiki's attention away from the two Namahage men.
She really tried.
But Maiki already saw. She made direct eye contact with them.
And, of course, she was a Harionago. She did what any Harionago would do. Hair raising up behind her, she looked him dead in the eyes and laughed.
Saiki, behind her, cowered. Nura put his wing around her to shield her away, in case of what would come next.

The Namahage stopped and raised his eyebrow at the creature's laughter, letting out a chuckle too. Maybe she was flirting?

Demine frowned. "Prince," She said, distracted from her debating with Sazae, "What the hell are you doing?"

That was all it took. Annoyingly enough, Maiki's Harionago nature kicked in whenever a man even started to laugh at her. Nura wrapped his wing tighter, pulling Saiki closer to him as Maiki shrieked, her hair whipping out, the thorny ends striking at the male Namahage that had dared to laugh at her. Heart, neck, and brain were her main targets, though others went for the lungs as well.

Before Demine even had time to blink, barbed thorns slashed through the vulnerable parts of Prince's armour and he fell to the ground with a clatter, eyes rolling back into his head. It happened so goddamn quickly-
"Prince!" The other Namahage rushed to his aid, head whipping from side to side, searching for the weapon that had injured his friend.
Demine, disorientated and convinced the enemy had made a surprise attack, drew her own weapon.

Sazae let out a shout of alarm, her back mouth screaming shrilly as it sensed danger. She hadn't been near enough to see what exactly had happened, too focused on making another remark to combat Demine's words, but she had heard the quick and brutal sound of death steal its victim away like a thief in the night and the ensuing panic around her.

Kotori immediately let out a low growl, yellow eyes landing on the Harionago punk that had made the move. Their hair was still suspended in the air. Kotori's hand tightened around her club. Had the commander seen her yet?

Megumi, suddenly thinking a fight had broken out between Sazae and the commander after hearing Sazae scream, rushed over to her, only to see Prince's body lying stiff on the ground.

"Don't look now," Dawn whispered beneath her breath, leaning close to Dusk's ear, "but the freak with the hair behind us just totally fucking gutted a guy."
Dusk had to resist the sudden urge to snap his head around to take in what his older sister so cattily described; instead he just looked at her with open-mouthed shock, and hissed back,
"No fucking way!"
He couldn't contain a shocked yet amused smile full of fangs. Dawn smirked back, their identical lime-green eyes meeting briefly, before she turned back to the small crowd of onlookers watching them perform. The parade was now stationary, having moved like a snake through the streets of the city since noon, worming its way towards the lower districts as night began to fall. It would pause here for an hour or so, so that the little stalls dotted about the pavement could earn good business. Dusk busied himself with a guttural growl, jaw hanging open, that produced a spitting flame from out of his mouth to the delight and awe of the waiting crowd. Chinese Dragons weren't all that common, and fire tricks went down well in any setting. Dawn had been pleased when she'd scored this job for her brother and herself - it was a welcome change of scene from the clubs they usually inhabited.
When the crowd dispersed, Dusk turned slowly, eyes immediately searching the street to try and catch a glimpse of the Harionago with the freakish hair.
"It was a little bit out of the way," said Dawn, coming up to his side. Their matching black outfits - Dawn with a bralette and miniskirt, Dusk with a bare chest and low-slung yoga trousers - accentuated their red dragon-scales and deep golden skin. "They were off to the side, so no big crowds saw it. She fully gutted this fucker."
"Wonder why," said Dusk, peering across at where Dawn was looking. Then he saw her, in the shadows and out of the way like his sister said, and there on the ground was a stiff body. "Fuck me!"
"The body's still there," Dawn said with interest, having pinpointed the girl too. "Shall we go and have a look?"

Maiki's eyes were wide, hands covering her mouth. Saiki was trying to talk her down, blocking her view of the other man- look at me, Maiki, don't look at them- speaking quietly and soothing Maiki, talking her out of the shock. They finally made eye contact. The impact of what Maiki had done sunk in, and she collapsed to her knees, hair falling around her. "I did it again," she sobbed. "It happened again Saiki."
Saiki sighed, patting her head. "I know, Maiki. I know."
What trouble would they be in now for it?