Creation Myth: The Jewel (Godly Worldbuilding)

Azaryin

Senior Magitechnician
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  1. Multiple posts per day
  2. 1-3 posts per day
  3. One post per day
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Prestige
  5. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Fantasy, Fantasy, Fantasy. Swords and sorcery, dungeons and dragons, Dwarf Fortress. Medieval Fantasy, basically. I also love futuristic sci-fi stuff here and there.
Creation Myth: The Jewel

The Jewel 2.png

The Jewel is a mythical deal made between a handful of deities and a group of entropic interlopers. The deific powers may get to create their own deific realms and people, but the entropic beings make their dark demands in return. No realm will go without strife and suffering, and no god or people will go untested. Thus is the price paid to play for The Jewel.

The idea for this roleplay is that it is setting up a creation myth by playing it out with whatever deities are presented and whatever people and lands they choose to make. You, the players, will playing those deities and create your people and your lands. I, as the GM, will be playing the forces of entropy that eat away at your people, your lands, and your pantheon. While you spend your efforts making bountiful lands for your people to live, you must neglect what lies outside their reach. While you make your people powerful, you neglect the ancient evils seeded by the entropic beings. There is a price paid for every boon you give to your people at creation, and I will be sure the outside forces take their pound of flesh one way or another.

The Game Proper

We'll start with simple steps. First up, this is intended to be played out in four phases. The first phase will be character creation, which involves the legend of your deity, their portfolio, their intentions, their lands, and their people. This will be a back and forth of the players telling the great works of their deity upon their land and their people, while I return with what rises in the wake of their neglect on other points. It will always be at the detriment of the people and their deity.

Once "character creation" is completed, the next phase is your deity's first and very temporary arrival on the world. You introduce yourself to your people and bestow upon them your first words. It is very important you are clear with your instructions to your people. Give them direction, purpose, and clarity-- as much as you can in your first meeting, at least. This is a pretty short phase. You're basically inspiring the creation of scripture and communicating your tenets.

The third phase will be the meat of the game, as this is when you'll head back to your deific seat of power and tweak things from the sidelines. Your god is under strict rules, but you're still playing as your people here. Meanwhile, I seed the interlopers appropriate for what you have all chosen, all of the ancient evils, all of the cursed lands, and the rest of the price paid for playing the game. Then... we all play. We play out how your people fair against their adversity, against other peoples (should they not get along), and themselves.

The fourth and final phase, which will arrive rather late, is End Game. One Jewel-ending crisis will arrive to provide a final test to the people of The Jewel. Should they fail, so do the deities-- the price is considered paid, the game is over, and everyone goes home with nothing but the experience. If they succeed, the price is still paid, but they reap all the rewards gained by playing this game. Your people, your land-- whatever you control is still yours.

How the first phase is played will be explained more in-depth if I get enough interest to actually start the game. If you have any questions on theme, narrative control, or flow, please ask them here so I can get all the details out early.

Greater detail and sign-ups link listed below!

Last edited:
...I want in. I want in so bad. Gimme.

One prospective player on the board! Any other takers?

I'll be holding this interest check up here for just a few more days. After that, I'll see about either closing it or moving forward.

Tentatively curious! This could be a fun worldbuilding exercise and a game in one.

I sure hope so! Doesn't seem like there's a ton of interest for this kind of roleplay here, though. But, a couple more players and I can move forward with signups. Maybe. In still on the fen e with running it seeing as how slow responses have been.

I would definitely be interested in something like this.

I will be putting up up signups and ooc later tonight. Once that's done, the links will be listed here for convenience.

Just throwing my hat into the ring of interested peoples in here.

Turned out what actually happened yesterday is I got home and just collapsed. I'll get to it today.

Here is the Sign-ups and eventually (maybe) OOC thread!