EXERCISE Create Your own Fable

Discussion in 'REFINING WRITING' started by Fijoli, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Wiki's Definition of Fable:

is a literary genre. A fable is a succinct fictional story, in prose or verse, that features animals, mythical creatures, plants, inanimate objects or forces of nature which are anthropomorphized (given human qualities such as verbal communication), and that illustrates or leads to an interpretation of a moral lesson (a "moral"), which may at the end be added explicitly in a pithy maxim.

A fable differs from a parable in that the latter excludes animals, plants, inanimate objects, and forces of nature as actors that assume speech and other powers of humankind.

Example of a Fable by Aesop

The Fox and The Crow

fox and crow aesop.gif

A Fox once saw a Crow fly off with a piece of cheese in its beak and settle on a branch of a tree.

"That's for me, as I am a Fox," said Master Reynard, and he walked up to the foot of the tree.

"Good day, Mistress Crow," he cried. "How well you are looking today: how glossy your feathers; how bright your eye. I feel sure your voice must surpass that of other birds, just as your figure does; let me hear but one song from you that I may greet you as the Queen of Birds."

The Crow lifted up her head and began to caw her best, but the moment she opened her mouth the piece of cheese fell to the ground, only to be snapped up by Master Fox.

"That will do," said he. "That was all I wanted. In exchange for your cheese I will give you a piece of advice for the future: "Do not trust flatterers."

Create Your own Fable
  2. The Pig and the Dog

A Dog was loosely tied to a wooden pole next to a mud pit where a Pig was rolling gleefully.

"You don't always have to just watch me." invited Brother Pig. "There's plenty of room for the both of us."
    "I will not." replied Knight Dog. "It is filthy."
    "So what of it? Rolling in mud makes me happy. It doesn't matter if it's filthy or not."
    "My Master would not approve of such behavior. Maybe from you, but not from me."

Over the course of the day, the weather got increasingly hot. The Master did not yet return.

"You can at least cool off in the mud." Brother Pig offered.
    "I won't sacrifice my dignity. I will stay here. The knot is loose because it is a test of my restraint."

The heat wave grew stronger. Knight collapsed, panting heavily. He struggled his floppy head to the thick leather leash and pulled at it until it came loose. The Pig helped push him the rest of the way, into the mud, and said.

"I'd rather revel in filth than die under the merciless light."
  3. The Ugly Frog

A young frog was hopping through the swamp when he saw a beautiful lady frog, basking in the sunlight on a tall rock.

"My, my," he thought to himself, "what a lovely frog. So lovely, that I think I ought to win her heart."
    He hopped forward, bowing before her. "My lady, would you like to hear a song?"
    The frog lady was not amused. "I should think not, Sir Frog. For you are hideous, while I shine like the moon on a clear night."
    "My lady, if you would only listen, I believe you would most enjoy it."
    "I am afraid I do not care for you, or your voice. Leave me."
    And with a heavy heart, the frog hopped away.

For many days, the Lady Frog basked in the sun, and many a frog would come and attempt to win her heart. She was never interested. After several, long weeks, she heard a beautiful voice echoing throughout the swamp. She hopped down from the rock, and discovered the frog from a long time ago. He continued to sing, until the Lady frog leapt up to him, begging him.

"Oh, Lord Frog! You have won my heart, though I refused to hear your voice before, I see now that you possess great talent!" the frog shook his head.

"You should never judge a frog by his warts."