Crafting the Throne of Lies (Reanimator Spuds and Mystical Fox)

Reanimator Buns

Just some gal who's a necromancer
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Genres
Fantasy Romance, Scifi
The night is was just beginning. For most this meant that the taverns were filled with people and the ale was flowing like water from its tap. The denizens of the Castle Town were all ready to lose themselves in the luxury of booze (and some bosom) as the nightly festivities began. Outside of the Cranky Fool, in an alleyway that sat adjacent to it, a certain young man was setting up a shop of sorts. He had spent the better part of the week spreading rumors of a strange merchant who sells wares of great mystery. He had heard all sorts of strange fantasies spawn from this simple lie. The best part about deceiving other was watching that simple lie grow and grow into a massive story regaling the tale a dark and mysterious being who grants power unimaginable.

He had set his items. All of them beyond mundane. There was a cracked ceramic bowl, a red-dyed raven's feather, a vial filled with a strange green liquid, and many other strange knick-knacks of no particular value . He had used his magic to disguise his appearance, leaving only deep set red eye glowing in a face obscured entirely by darkness. He kept himself hidden in the dark alley, making full use of his knowledge of the arcane. As the night wore on and he watched the drunkards stumble out of the tavern, he picked his targets carefully. Usually it was those who were alone and very drunk. He typically didn't sell much to them, usually settling for false charms for a few gold pieces, but those who had cash on them were always easy to spy. A simply gust of wind and a ghostly whisper that beckoned them to good fortune would lead them to his hidden stall.

This was a scam he had run many times in many different cities, and for one reason or another the citizens here in the Castle Town were by far the most gullible. As he finished up with another rich idiot as he watched him walk off muttering to himself about how he would finally claim the heart of his beloved Anne Marie, he was ready to close up shop and call it quits. He stuffed his goods into a bag and watched them disappear. By the time he reached the vial, the bag was already too filled with gold and other things. Shrugging, he slipped it into his breast pocket before walking out of the alleyway, dropping the monstrous glamour that he had crafted for himself. As soon as he turned the corner, he slammed into someone. He didn't have time to see who he had impacted with, but he did have time to formulate another scheme. With a simple snap of his fingers, he forced the glass vial to break, causing it to spill its slimy green contents, and fill the air with a strange medicinal smell. He looked at the person who he had ran into for the first time. She was short. Too short to reach the vial in his chest actually, but that wouldn't be an issue. She looked gullible enough for certain.

"I'm so sorry for bumping you miss, I-"

He stopped and tapped the slimy substance leaking from his cloak. Then he reached his hand into his cloak and pull it out quickly with a cry of pain after cutting his finger on the shards of glass. He started speaking to himself in a panic.

"Oh no no no... I can't possibly afford another vial... This took a whole month of savings... Anise, I'm sorry, but it looks like you'll have to stay strong for now. Just hold on for another while. I'll make it up in a week I promise."

He turned back to the young girl, whose hair was long and black and eyes a deep blue.

"I'm sorry for bothering you..."

He started walking off dejectedly, hoping to tug at her heartstrings and get her sympathies to at least partially pay for a new vial of this false medicine he had crafted from mint leaves, pine needles, and swamp scum.

Princess Liliana

Night had fallen as Liliana creaked open her window and crawled out. Staring out over Castle Town a grin spread across her lips. It was time to party. Pulling her hair into a high pony tail she started her descent from the window. In the distance cheery laughter could be heard and Lilly's grin only grew. She knew she would get in trouble for this but right in this moment she didn't care. Most likely her father would subject her to chores or classes. Those were things she avoided at all costs. Jumping down from the small ledge she was standing on (after having shimmied down pretty far) Liliana landed on her feet, though she did almost fall over.

Tugging her black hood over her head Lilly ran out the courtyard and started toward the closest bar. In Castle Town there was 4 bars and each knew Lilliana by name, although who wouldn't. She is the princess after all. Never-the-less each bar was frequented by Liliana usually on different nights but sometimes she would go to multiple in one night. That's only if she's feeling like a partier. However it seemed tonight was going to be one of those nights.

As Lilly ran through the town she thought back on the week that hap passed, the week of her birthday. While you may think that being the princess meant having a glamourous birthday you'd be dead wrong. All Liliana wanted for her birthday was to party and have fun with friends. Her father, however, had different plans. For the entire week she attended balls thrown in her honor where she had to dance with suitors and converse with those of the upper class. It was all dreadfully boring. Liliana hated formal dancing and having to act like the perfect little daughter her father wanted her to be. Tonight was the first night that she's been free from her father's steel grasp. Finally she was aloud to roam free, without guards or her father watching her every move.

A grin played on Liliana's lips as she got closer to the first bar she was going to party at. The sounds of joyful laughter could be heard from outside and as she got closer and closer Lilly could even see two of her friends dancing inside. Seemed they started the party without her. Moving to walk inside Liliana didn't notice a man walking towards her until she smacked right into him. She opened her mouth to apologize only to stop when he started talking to himself. The man babbled on about medicine and how he couldn't afford it for whatever reason. Blinking Lilly wondered how he broke it. 'Could I have hit it and broken it?' She questioned in her head. But that didn't make any sense. She wasn't tall enough t hit where it was at. Eyeing the man skeptically Liliana watched as the man turned to leave. Curious about what he was trying to do Liliana asked, "Is there anyway I can help you? It must be my fault it broke. I mean, I did run into you after all."

Last edited by a moderator:
Edmund was concerned about the look she was giving him. Best to try and mark down is price a little. 30 gold pieces for half a vial of medicine might be too rich for her blood. Or at least enough to make her question the validity of his statements. Crafting the story a bit more might be effective to counter suspicion. After all, there are characters and then there are people. Edmund thought himself an artist, and only made people - not characters.

"Well... And I feel awful even asking, but I could really use some gold. This dosage was supposed to last the month, and it took several weeks of savings. My poor sister has coughing fits that throw her to the floor and writhe in pain. My father was injured in a work accident, and my mother died from a similar illness when I was very young."

Even if she was skeptical, a story like this would have to make her feel sorry enough to give him a few gold pieces.

"I'm the only one in my family who can work, and even then most of our funds go to this medicine. I understand that it's not your problem, but if you gave me just 15 gold pieces I could pay the rest with what I have. You could save a life tonight! We might go hungry for a week, but it is a small price to pay to keep my family alive."

Edmund grabbed hold of the young girls hands, unaware of high powerful standing, hoping that a man suddenly grabbing hold of her hands would throw her off her guard and make her more likely to answer some way. However, grabbing her hands required him to lean over. As he did, the fold that he had stored the vial in was visible. Inside there was a strange black scorch mark lining the inside of the large pocket.