Count to Ten

Status
Not open for further replies.
((@Darkness Dies choosing a bad character is fine! Where would the world be without their villains? hah))

After Kella finished checking Aragon's vitals she made a quick interjection, "You seem to be back to pretty much normal, but your heart beats are little wacky. I suggest water and some crackers. Not enough to upset it though." She shrinks back down on to the couch and listen to Mavis and the boy talk.

"I was seven." Kella chimed in after Mav talked about when they started chasing her. "We move around quite a bit. Its how I met Mav. We ran into each other, pretty literally, when I was 15." Kella speaks remembering when she ran face first into Mavis. Thats actually when they decided to run together. Of course, Allen was still with them. She picked both of them up, basically by their ears and told them to follow her. Mavis was always the mature one. The leader, the plan maker. "Usually we move towns, sometimes even countries after each attack." Kella continues, pulling her knees up to her chest.

"Thank you" Said Aragon as he gave Kella a greatful smile. "It was my ninth birthday when they came for me." Aragon forced a small smile as he remembered the events of that day. "I was outside playing with friends when I suddenly got unexplainably cold. My parents took me inside and wrapped me in a few blankets but that didn't help, the cold was inside of me at that point. I went into my room but only got colder.... That was the first time I saw one of them. I yelled out to my dad and he fought with it. He cut one of its eyes but it didn't stop. It was moving so fast I never got a chance to get a good look at it. Aragon paused for a moment fighting back the tears in his eyes. "That thing killed my father. My mom loaded my brother and I into the car and we just left. I don't know where my mom is today, and my brother is dead; as far as I know I'm the only one in my family left alive." Aragon decided to stop talking about the subject seeing as it was difficult to discuss. He tried to keep hope that his mother would still be alive somewhere, but he realized that it was possible that she was dead as well. Even if she was, it wasn't likely that he'd see her again

Neo chuckled quietly to himself listening to the stories he had been through. It was always interesting hearing what happened from another's view. At the mention of one of his fellow "shadows" being cut in the eye, he put his two fingers over his patch. Well, Aragon, it's only fair... An eye for an eye. "I don't know where my mom is today, and my brother is dead; as far as I know I'm the only one in my family left alive." That's not quite true, young one... But it would ruin you to know what has become of your dearest mother. He thought to himself as his mind traveled back to that grim day.

It was quite the time ago, when
Neo considered himself much younger, not that he could really age anyways. He was still in training, and was sent as a back up on his first mission. Sure, he had scared some kids, given them chills but never showed himself. But to change quickly from a harmless scare to the murdering of these special children was, honestly, a little bit overwhelming. Nontheless, the results were not too bad.
He had stepped a little too closely when he sensed that his presence was known by the young Aragon. Before his mentor could grieve over being detected early, the little bugger was calling for his dad. Since
Neo had been the one sighted first, he was obviously the one to be punished. The child's father had flung himself over Neo, and he was successful in cutting his left eye. In pain, however, Neo pulled his darkness blade by accident and used it on the father, slashing a clean cut across the stomach. His mentor was in shock, as their rule was to never kill one of the non-special, and Neo was lucky enough to have survived his higher powers' wrath.
Instead of being punished the traditional way, which happened to be an eternal cycle of death,
Neo received a curse. A curse that was given an appropriate term, "The Child's Curse". The outcome was having his damaged eye had become a mark of shame, a mark that only the hunted had, and few of the hunted showed. His left eye had become a bright violet-purple, matching the young girl's Neo had stalked from the day of his dark, shadowed birth, Kella. Finally, he was warned that he was to be hunted as well as these special children, when the time was just right.

Tyler watched the people inside move about and help an apparent newcomer. Some seemed genuinely concerned while others were much more leery of Aragon. That name sounded familiar; like something out of a book. Tyler was getting a little cold but was still unsure as to whether he wanted to join in or remain outside. That choice would soon be made up for him.

Moments after the first set of chills began to run up his spine, Tyler heard whispers. He began to peer around the dark woods and saw nothing. He closed his eyes to heighten his sense of hearing and then he heard it again only now it was clear as a bell ringing.

"A tiny, abandoned building in the forest, not far from Kella's last visit." Then the voice chuckled after a moment.

What was that supposed to mean? Where they being tracked? Hunted?! Tyler was not always as nice to people as he was raised to be but he knew that he must act. He swallowed hard, opened his eyes and made a quick step to the door and turned the handle. He knocked on the door with his other hand as he opened, stepped in and then closed it behind him.

As nonchalantly as he could given the circumstance, he interrupted their conversation.

"...only one in my family left alive."

"Sorry to hear that but we should probably go...like, now." He met eyes with Mavis, then Aragon and then Kella. "There's someone outside whispering where this place is…" He was met with all sorts of stares and glances [presumably] and raised his hands, palms up in a shrug. "I'm Tyler, I was eavesdropping…hi." He gave a weak smile and kept his hands up by his shoulders in case he had to defend himself.

"There isn't really any best way of handling things," Mavis admitted with a shrug. "One guy was killed while he was counting to ten, by this thing that was a lot faster than normal. But for the rest of us, it's worked pretty well. It's healthier, and you can have more energy to run further after you take that short rest," she said. She didn't want to worry Aragon too much about the death of their former companion Allen, and she hoped it would work.

"So do you guys just hold out here, or do you move from place to place?"

"Umm, mostly we move, but for now we're staying here. None of them have tracked us very far yet, except one of them who almost got Kella." Mavis let out a sigh. "Of course, we usua--" She was cut short when a man with a cowboy hat made his appearance in the doorway.

"...we should probably go... like, now. There's someone outside whispering where this place is..." She made eye contact with the man, who was apparently called "...Tyler, I was eavesdropping... hi." Mavis stared at him while he spoke, first annoyed, then suspicious, then very, very shocked. "Crap," Mavis said in a hushed voice. Then, louder, "Does anyone have a lighter? I have an idea. We need a lighter for it." She continued in her efforts, half-yelling, "Please, someone, have a lighter. Does anybody here have a lighter?" She was almost frantic in her calls for a lighter, and was beginning to lose her mature exterior for something inside of her that was absolutely terrified. But then again, that was to be expected when something right outside could come for them at any moment.

Kella's original plan was to worry. But then she remembered that Mavis always had a plan. "Does anyone have a lighter? I have an idea. We need a lighter for it." Mavis asked, she sounded frantic. Kella remembered in her emergency kit. She turned and reached down behind the couch, pulling up her light blue backpack. She unzipped it and handed Mavis a light purple lighter that Kella used when any of them had a nasty gash. It hurt like a bitch, but she usually used heat to stop the bleeding. In swift situations you can leave a trail of blood. Those shadow demon things could track it. "When am I not prepared for literally everything?" Kella asked Mavis as she zipped up her backpack and slung it over her shoulder. She turned to the boy that had just come in. "Its nice to meet you. I'm Kella." She smiled and turned back to Mavis.

"So what do you plan to do Mav?" Kella asked as she went to gather more supplies. She grabbed three backpacks that were full of dehydrated food and water. She tossed one to Mavis, one to Aragon and one to Tyler. She thought they were probably going to split up, so it was better if everyone was prepared. Bad things happen when you aren't ready for the unexpected. She quickly picked up a couple more bottles of water and shoved them in, waiting patiently for mavis to explain what the hell they were going to do.

"So what do you plan to do Mav?" The answer to that question was a dubious one, but it was worth a try. "Well, Mavis began as she took the lighter Kella had given her, "we find a bus or a cab or some other public transport thing, and head for wherever. As long as we're all in the same place, it's fine. Splitting up never works in movies," she said as she shrugged on her backpack. Her voice sounded hurried, but she tried her best to stay calm in all the rush. "While we participate in the fifth annual Shadowy Creature Marathon, we keep our lighters on all the time. The fire might make them shy away a bit," she explained to the group.

It hadn't worked for Allen. But then again, Allen only had it on for a minute... Ah, crap, Mavis thought. I'm thinking about Allen again. She shook off thoughts of her dead companion, and nodded at the group. "You people had better not die on me," she said, addressing the group. With that, she cracked open a window, not sure what to expect. "We go out this way, or through the door," Mavis stated with finality. If the group were to fail in their escape, she hoped none of them would fail alone.

((OOC: @Kit_Sparks What color do you use for Kella?))

((OOC: I am going on a school field trip tomorrow [Wednesday, March 19th]. Therefore, unfortunately, I won't be able to post that day, since it lasts the whole day.))

((Dance try outs are finally over... I made it! >w<))

Neo listened intently on the plans being made. Fire... Damn it. He put a hand over the cheek under his bad eye. Last time he was burned, it took forever for the hole to close up - A literal hole in the right side of his shadowy stomach that you could see right through. But once you children run out... We'll get you...
His thoughts were interrupted when he saw shadows rush to the outside of the tiny building, some were simple balls of darkness that shifted into human figures when slowed down. Others resembled shapes of swift animals, also turning to human shapes.
Neo looked down at his hands, where only dark smoke could arise. He wasn't able to become a shadow anymore, not until the lifting of his curse. He sighed and looked up, as another shadow nodded at him.
They began to close in on the little building,
Neo ducking under the window, while the other shadows huddled at the door. They only waited a few seconds before they slammed the door open, ready to attack whatever target was in sight.

Kella felt daring. She couldn't figure out where the sudden surges of courage were coming from but she was not currently in a position to think about it. Kella grabbed a lighter and smiled as the door burst open. She gave a slight wave to the others inside. "Now or never." She puts a foot up on the window sill and laughs. She lights up the lighter and hops out holding the flame at any shadows near her. She had backed them up, so she turned and ran. She didn't look back and didn't stop. When she came to another building she once again flipped open the lighter to keep the shadows at bay. She skirted the building, wondering if the others had followed her. And if they hadn't she could only hope they got out safely.

Kella's feet soon hit pavement. She looked around to take in her surroundings. Shit. She thought to herself. A parking lot. Open, dark space. Kella held the lighter up and and out in front of her. She jogged, so the flame wouldn't go out. At the other end of the parking lot was a house. "Definitely not going in there." Kella told herself as she jogged across the lot. Really, she was cornered. No where to go, or run too. She thought about using Allen's blade. The small dagger he had given her when they were in Oregon. Right before he died. It still hadn't been tested. He said that it was supposed to wound the icy creatures. SO she could stop and fight, but the blade, was still untested.

Kella groaned to herself. There didn't seem to be a way out of this situation. She threw the lighter into a fast advancing shadow and pulled the blade from its holster on her hip. The blade itself was black and shined under the moonlight. Pure black, like the shadows. She stabbed the dagger into another, and the thing made a hissing noise before its dark cloud sped back into the forest. "It works!" Kella yelped out loud as she swung at any other shadows that came at her.

As Kella took off for nowhere in particular, Mavis kept up as well as she could, lighter in hand. Well, at least, she kept up until it became apparent that Kella had taken them to a parking lot, otherwise known as a melon-farming SHADOW TRAP! "How convenient," Mavis snarked as she backpedaled away. Just before she bolted off, she gave her companions the heads-up. "Freight train station!" she yelled. "We'll meet there. Try not to die!" With that, Mavis turned and ran for dear life.

With her lighter blazing and her hair flying out of control (the horror!), she carried herself in the general direction of a hardware store, where local freight trains made frequent stops. Of course, she had to get across a pond first. "Ooh, this is my lucky day," Mavis muttered. If she dropped her lighter into the water, this wouldn't work. In fact, it would fail miserably. Still, this was the fastest way to the store, so she hastily pulled out a $100 bill and stuck it to a wall, then mounted a jet ski, which Mavis had no idea how to operate. She pulled out a manual, and found that starting the thing up was easy enough. However, she still wasn't sure how to make the jet ski move. There weren't any pedals, which definitely made things more difficult, but it turned out that the handles made the engine run. Praying that the creatures couldn't swim, Mavis carefully set the jet ski on the pond, took a seat, and began riding.

She got a hang of it after a minute or so. But she was absolutely terrified.

[[Apologies all. I have started a new job and will be unable to continue this RP. Feel free to ignore or kill off Tyler. It would be cool if someone were to wear his hat though. :D]]

((Fair enough bro. Mavis wouldn't touch that hat with a very long stick.

I love how we're all discussing who gets the hat. xD))

Neo was taken by surprise when two girls jumped right over him when getting out of the window. He turned around the corner of the house just in time to see one of the kids take a swing at a shadow. His hand went through it, as if he swatted at smoke. Behind him, another shadow summoned its scythe. Neo couldn't watch what happened, but he knew too well what they did when he saw the kid's tan head roll into the corner of his eye. What are you doing, standing there, fool?! Follow them! He heard a fellow shadow's voice in his head, and Neo darted outside. Before he left, he stopped and looked at an object on the ground that looked somewhat familiar. It was the now headless kid's hat, and seeing it gave Neo a punch in the gut. This shouldn't bother me, not after years of watching these things happen. Reluctantly, Neo dipped down and picked up the hat. When he heard a yell in the distance, Neo began running in the general direction that the two girl's headed. He heard another yell close by.
"Freight train station! ... We'll meet there. Try not to die!"
Neo moved a bit of a ways forward, and soon he was at the edge of a large, empty parking lot. Also, an all-too-familiar target was standing in the middle of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.