Council of Wyrms

Calandra and Darren sat close by the fire in one of the parlors of the Estate and sipped steaming broth from beautiful teacups.
Having discarded his soiled travel garb, Darren was now attired in an appropriately princely wardrobe – Branwen had seen to that.

"So, nothing… fantastic?"
Darren smiled wryly. "Nope. Sometimes I wonder if they ever existed."
Calandra giggled. "Don't let Father hear you say that."

Above the fireplace, a gleaming white skull, unknown in origin, stared down at them. It had hung there in silence since before either of them were even a dream in their parents' heads.

Darren whispered playfully, "I bet all this time - all these years - I've been chasing… goblins."
"Goblins?" Calandra's eyes opened wide.
"They can be tricky bastards… I'll bet they got some lizard skins together and chased Grand-papa around when he was a tyke."
The two laughed heartily at the thought of their grandfather being afraid of anything.

"Humans are scared of nature? I thought humans were scared of us." Orbak offers a little smile, quite comfortable in his human guise. He had been thinking about the druid's question. "Hrm. Well... I suppose, since I actually use innate magic, I should claim I'm a universalist, right?" He asks of the elven man, wondering about the answer. Then he realizes something, turning to Vanessa. "Hey, you're human." It sounded like a question.

He then gestures towards the thus-far-nameless elf. "You were in awe of me, but this elf is no mystery to you? Just going to treat it like it's nothing? They live so much longer than you..." He wonders, "As do we, really. Have humans really come so far as to consider themselves equal with us, to allow them to talk to dragons and elves with such flippancy? Or is that just you?" His tone wasn't accusatory, but the hint was there. They were, after all, highly magical beings. He had hoped a kind reminder might help the human woman retrieve her awe or manners somewhere.

He finally turns towards the elf, "I'm Orbak, by the way." He hustles a bit, catching up to the (now taller than he is) elf. "I'm not a member of the Council. I'm just the Caretaker. It's my job to make sure that the ruins in the caldera still stand, and the animals are populace enough to support the other dragons when we all meet. I'll admit, I've only ever seen outside the caldera through the books that the previous Caretaker left."

The Druid turns to the dragon/boy. "Hello, Orbak, I am Jin-Tir. I call the Barangard Woods my home. It's where we are going, before the castle. And you are in apprentice robes, so it would make sense you can use magic. Just don't use it too well. Make a mistake here and there, to make it look like you are still learning. The only reason you would need that sword is for ceremonial purposes. Most wizards do not wield weapons aside their magic, except on the battlefield."

"Just as well. I don't know how to use it." He looks over the somewhat rusted sword. "Humans make these because they don't have claws of their own. Rip the materials they need from the earth itself. It's pretty impressive, I think. I can't imagine the same happening if it was a bunch of dragons... I don't think we'd fit in little holes in the ground."

It wasn't long, however, when his legs started to ache. He wasn't used to walking around on two for a period as long as this. So, he hops up into the air and begins to levitate as he moves, crossing his legs in mid-air. In truth, he was resting on a thin blue "disk" of magic, which seemed to be following Jin-Tir's movements. Orbak smiled a bit, "I'll dispell this when you ask. I just needed a little break. Moving around on two legs is weird." He thinks, flipping over and resting on his back, still floating through the air on the disk. "Makes me wonder about humans, really. I don't think I know where they come from. Originally, I mean."

He looks at the floating boy. "I do not know, either. I only know they have been around as long as I can remember. And yes, they make claws from metal because the have none of their own. They call them swords. The also make protective coats, called armor, and little walls of metal they wield with their swords, which they call shields. The attack with their swords, and use the armor and shields to defend themselves from harm."

Chyta had been silent, fascinated with her new body. The skin was not as smooth as the rest, and she noticed that her battle scars stood out on the fleshy pink skin. "They ma not have claws, but these appendages are really quite amazing. Why look how easily I can hold on to this sword. I have such grip. No wonder they spend their days building things with their hands"

"Jin-tir, forgive me for my manners. I am Chyta, Elder of the Council of Wyrms. You will see no threat from me so long as you do not steer us astray. For now, you have my trust. My magic, if I am so forced to used it, will not be noticed my any human."

Jin-Tir spins around to look at the eldest. "It is nice to make your acquaintance, Chyta. And for the sake of all of us, I should hope not. You look more like a maid who is beaten, all the more reason for the humans not to care enough to attack you. And yes, arms come in handy. You can explore the use of your new body later, in the woods, where you will be safe from harm. Until then, We must continue onward." He felt he was rambling and made no sense, but most of his thoughts were likewise.

Nirroth stared down at herself, absolutely fascinated. She turned to look at Firroth and tilt her head. Both of them had their share of scars that traced across their body, but nothing that looked like it came from anything too serious. The perks of living in the swamps included the fact humans rarely entered them. They usually left only when they needed food or more gold to pad their hoards. She grinned. "This is going to be fun."

Firroth looked at himself, then his sister, then the others. Well, he couldn't really be upset with his form. It still seemed so strong, even without natural protection. His hair, like his sister's, was black as pitch and their skin was pink and soft, eyes a glittering green. They looked just like the twins they were with very similar features. He took the sword and gripped it tight, swinging it around some. He stuck it tip-first into the ground and left his right hand resting on the hilt before turning to the druid. "I am Firroth Acid-Tooth. And that is my sister, Nirroth the Raven-Haired." He said with a nod. "Nirroth the Hard-to-Swallow."

"Nirroth the Stronger-Than-Her-Brother-Who-Refuses-To-Be-Eaten is more like it." She said, smirking over at her brother. "And Firroth the Annoying. Stop playing with your sw-ord and lets get going. I'd like my wings back as soon as possible....And to know more about this prophecy." She added on as an after thought.

Jin-Tir turns to the two. "It is nice to meet you. I am Jin-Tir, Druid of the Barangard Forest. You can have your wings back, Nirroth the Raven-Haired, at any time. You simply won't be able to come with us." He continues on toward the forest, still talking. "It is no personal grudge, but I do not allow dragons in my forest. One sneeze and my whole Wood burns down. You will have to remain a biped like me and the others until the journey is over."

"Well that's no problem, then. Nirroth and Firroth have acid breath. They're black dragons." He gestures at them, "Drakel has white scales, so I'm pretty sure he has an icy breath." Orbak smiles proudly, "I'm actually a crossbreed. No breath weapon at all. I've got a nice poison, though." He taps his teeth, "It stiffens muscles and makes moving really dangerous. Courtesy of my father." He flips over, laying upon the disk with a blissful expression. "I don't think I know Chyta's breath weapon. All the tales of her I've heard involve her defeating rivals through her physical strength and expansive mind."

"Well, he isn't very intelligent, is he, Brother?"

"Oh, no, not very intelligent at all."

"A shame."

"Very much a shame."

Nirroth stepped up on Jin-Tir's right side, tossing her hair about. "You do know that not all dragons breathe fire, don't you?"

"Yes, that would only be the red scales." Firroth said, stepping up on Jin-Tir's left. "We would be black scales. Swamp dwellers."

"Highly superior to the red scales."

"Oh, yes, highly."

"And do you know what black scaled swamp dwellers breathe?"

"I don't think he does, dear sister."

"Black scaled swamp dwellers breathe acid."

"Deadly stuff. Rots the flesh right off your bones."

"Drops leaves from trees like they were nothing."

"Cattle?"

"Oh, a nice tanned hide melting away to nothing."

"Knights?"

"So deliciously crunchy with their scales made from metal, ripped from the earth."

"Deliciously crunchy. But I do prefer them skinned and rotting..."

"Oh, yes, of course, dear brother. Skinned and rotting makes everything best." She reached up, wiping some rather acidic looking drool from the corner of her mouth.

"Have I made you hungry, Nirry?"

"Yes, Firry, indeed you have."

"How long has it been since you've eaten?" He asked, staring right at Jin-Tir, getting nice and close to the side of his face.

"Oh, Firroth, dear, he's much too alive..."

"I've eaten worse..."

Razeth flew high in the sky his rather large body skimming the clouds as he had just heard of the meeting, He was headed on his way knowing he was late but he had to fly very far. His black and red Scales shinning in the sunlight as he roared a bit in the sky noting that he was right above the meeting place, his roar ringing in the ears of the dragons and human and elves. He bolted down from the sky doing a nose dive and spinning a bit, his energetic body seemed to get the best of him. As he soared towards the ground he opened his wings, letting the air catch him and slow him down as he made a hard thud into the ground landing perfectly. His hinds first and then his fronts touching down, He looked at the other dragons who had already gathered. He looked around and sniffed a bit. His head immediately to the human, He looked her up and down his face seemed to be confused on how she got up here. He looks at Orbak and smiles " svanoa re wux bensvelk thurirl, bivai si jahus ti tenpiswo svadrav wux relgra ( How are you good friend, sorry i was not here when you called ) " He laid his body lower to the floor resting his wings and legs.

Jin-Tir was excruciatingly irritated by the twin's comments. "Nirroth, Firroth, I am well aware not all dragons breath fire, I was simply using a human stereotype. I hate anything that would harm my forest, and that includes your wretched acid, and Drakel's ice. As for eating me, Since you are in human form, you will be tried for cannibalism, and as i would be dead, you would be stuck human for the rest of your lives. You would have to live as a human, and die as a human. Or I could kill you now. Or I could remove the spell and turn you back into dragons, so your whole mission will be jeopardized. It would be far greater to your advantage you do not make me an enemy."

He heard a roar, and looked up in time to see Razeth landing. "Ah, Wonderful!" he said with a highly sarcastic tone, "Another blasted dragon to be ridiculed by!" He turns back to the twins. "And you two are lucky I do not vaporize you into the breeze! Did I not owe your elder, I would not be doing this. As much as I respect most dragons, I would be far better off without either of you!" He was fuming mad. A wise druid, sage of the wood, master of nature being called unintelligent! he may not be learned, but he was far wiser than most mortals.

He calmed down enough to properly welcome the new dragon. "Forgive my earlier remark, I was annoyed by Nirroth the Intolerable and Firroth the Dim-witted. I am Jin-Tir. Orbak! Catch the guest up on what is going on. My temper does not have the capacity to explain."

He looked at the elf who looked more intelligent than Razeth was, Razeth bowed his head noticing that most the dragons were human. He spoke " Hello wise elf and...other dragons...so yes Orbak what is it that is going on? " He said his Dragon body resting to the floor, he breathes a bit heavy but regains normal breathing stature soon. he craned his neck a bit so that he was still able to look at everyone if they were to speak.

Firroth snorted. "You would be wise to respect your elders, druid. When this is over, when we are back into our normal forms, you will not owe anyone anything and neither shall we. Chyta is our elder, yes, but you were eavesdropping on all of us. She was simply the one that caught you."

"And you would be wise not to make us into your enemy, Jin-Tir the Increasingly Annoying. Listen to him, ordering around Orbak as if he had the right! You are our tool to be used, elf, and you would do wise to remember that." She folded her arms and turned to watch as the black and red dragon landed. "Forgive the impatient mortal elf, Razeth. He does not yet understand how to talk to greater beings than himself."

Currently in his human form, Orbak stood up on the magic disk he had been floating about on. He gives Razeth a happy bow, "A pleasure to have you join us, Razeth. It's actually a relief to see you. See, the call was for any and all dragons. Those you see around you are the only ones that showed up. We're suspecting foul play from the humans." He gestures at himself, "Which is why we're all in these forms. We're going to pick some things up from the elven druid's abode..." He gestures politely to Jin-Tir, "Before heading towards the nearby human kingdom and seeing what we can find out."

He chuckles, "As for tempers, I'm Caretaker, aren't I?" He looks towards the others, "Remember Narssissh? The big red dragon that ended up finding his end on the wrong side of Chyta's claws? He had a bit of a temper as well. Still, I saw to his comfort while he was around." Orbak nods proudly, "It's my duty. Though I'll admit, it is bizarre to be ordered around by an elf - I'm half-green, after all. Still, I'd like to say that it's a rather comforting show of solidarity from you, Nirroth. You made me just a bit prouder to be known to you by name." He smiles approvingly on the human-form black dragon, perhaps even thankful and admiring..

It's a few moments after this tangent that he returns to the matter at hand. In a very human manner, he throws his hands up and palming his forehead. "Oh, that's right! Many apologies, Razeth. The entire reason I called the other dragons was this tablet I found in the ruin I guard. Turns out there's a prophecy written upon it..." Closing his eyes, he recalls the words upon it, "When the light finds it's way to touch the peak of experience, the great fears of old will vanish to the dawning of a new age. Seventh is the son of man, royal in blood and in nature, to bring about the end of chaos. Five is the number to break the seal, though not all five will see the end." Opening his eyes, he chuckles, "I've got it pretty well-memorized now from the times I've repeated it."

With that, the disk fades out, dropping Orbak from his perch to the ground, landing on his knees with a dull 'thud'. "Oof! ...Well, that was shorter than expected." He rises and brushes himself off, "That's where we are now. Hands-on research!" He seems almost giddy. Maybe he'll get to meet royal humans! His love for the race manifests once more. "It is very good to see you, Razeth. I feared I would have to go through this adventure without any of my personal friends."

The praise absolutely went straight to Nirroth's head. It rarely went anywhere else. She straightened up as if basking her ego in his words and his gaze. "Well, thank you, Orbak. In times like these, dragons need to stick together, don't they?"

Firroth rolled his eyes a little at his sister, but he did feel that if his sister was praised, so was he. They were twins, after all, and dragon twins were rare. Mostly because it was customary for the first-hatched to either eat it's unhatched siblings or push them out of the nest. Either or. Less competition was always a good thing. Speaking of competition, he wouldn't admit it out loud, but he was looking forward to the day Chyta's horde was unguarded....

"Darren?"
"Yeah?"
Calandra stared deeply into the flames of the burning wood.
"Don't go away again."
The fire popped and crackled like little fairy firecrackers. Darren sighed, rubbing his temples. "I have to go. You know that."
"But it's lonely here without you."
"I have to do this, Callie."
Calandra angrily took a bite out of a biscuit. "But what if it is goblins? What if there's no such thing as—"

A loud bang near the doorway interrupted them.
"Lady Theron!"
Calandra and Darren turned to see Branwen standing by the door next to a dropped tray of assorted letters and royal documents. "Lady Theron, you know better than to call them by name!"
Calandra rolled her eyes. "That's just an old wives' tale."
"And you see how well it's worked so far!"
Darren got to his feet to help. "Dear Branny, it's been years since anyone's seen them. Generations, even. I don't think this world has any more dragons."

Branwen gasped, her eyes bulging in shock. "Now you've done it, now we're doomed! Speak of the… Darren, go to your chamber!"
Darren paused. Calandra choked on her biscuit. Tension flooded the room.
"Right now, or so help me God!"
Fire filled Darren's eyes as he looked down upon the frail woman. His words spat out like venom.
"Do not speak to me again in that manner."
Branwen held his gaze; her hands trembled faintly. A log snapped in the fire.
Suddenly, Darren turned and exited the room, refined as ever. He smiled to a servant girl in the hall and headed down the corridor, his boots echoing loudly through the palace.
Calandra was nearly in tears. She let out a quiet sob and rushed out after him.

The druid turns around sharply, furious. Mere mortal dragons, disrespecting him like he was their tool?! How dare they! He was Jin-Tir, descendent of Pan, God of Nature! His eyes glowed bight, emanating a blazing blue Aura. He pointed his staff at Nirroth, preparing a spell that would blast her and everything in front of him into oblivion, scattering the remains into the wind. "You?! MY elder!? Have you no clue with whom you are dealing?! I am Jin-Tir! The only living descendent of Pan, God of Nature! I have lived for countless millennia, exchanging forms when my avatar dies! I am the wind around you, the ground you walk on, the air you breath! Should my spirit cease to exist, so would this world! I would think it common sense for acreature of nature to respect that from which they came!"

He turned to Chyta. "Unless you can control these blundering buffoons, you will have to find a new way into the castle. I mean no disrespect against you, Chyta, but if you cannot control your underlings I will be forced to take my services elsewhere! There are an infinite number of things going on in the world, and I could very well be doing those instead of guiding you, Drakel, a human, a Youngling, and these two disrespectful miscreants into a damned castle." He turns around again, trying to withhold his anger so he does not lose his temper.

"As we are children of Io." Orbak stated. He was calm and stately about it, "Let us not forget the rest of the pantheon, shall we? Many of our kind have joined Io as gods, themselves. We share the blood of the First Dragon, the Ninefold, Swallower of Shades." The young dragon states, curiously, "I have to wonder, however, if a descendent of Pan would be so careless as to forget to mask his own scent. If you are who you say you are..." Orbak gives the elf an interested smile, "You want to be here. You're as curious as we are to this, aren't you...?"

"After all, if we vanish... will you not, as well? Eternity forgotten, unable to care or touch your charges in the wild?" The young dragon-in-human-form bows his head respectfully. "Please remember, the two you speak to are of Falazure's brood. The Night Dragon. The great darkness, bringer of undeath to the dragon race and the first dracolich. The blackest of black dragons." He looks to the twins, rolling his shoulders slightly, "Divinity has a way with dragonkind, doesn't it?" The Caretaker offers a wink, "I've no links to it, myself, save my own following of the dragon gods."

He gestures forward, "Regardless. We're almost to where we need to be now, right?"