Couldn't Decide on a Prefix... But I do have a question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Goldenhope

Original poster
I know people have their specific tastes and preferences, but since coming to this site, even while I've lengthened my minimum posts to paragraph+ I've still gotten almost no responses on my posts, and I'e been turned down by almost everyone I want to rp with. So I know of two things that could cause this and it's either my submissiveness as a male, or it's the fact that I'm a furry :/ Not really sure which is more likely the cause, and I was wondering if anyone here might be able to shed some light on it. It's rather upsetting because for once in my life, I'm somewhere where highly skilled roleplayers are abundant, but nobody wants anything to do with me, and roleplaying really is a passion of mine... I don't know, I kind of feel out of place here and left out at times, even though there are some really nice people who have given me some good experiences here in my short time on the site, the number is very small, and they all have busy lives so I rarely actually get any roleplaying done.

Well, first of all, I certainly wouldn't assume that post length is the primary cause -- or assume that making longer posts will attract more players. Different people have different preferences. Some people specifically avoid players who write super long posts, because they themselves don't like posting that much content or feel that they can't "match" people who write long posts. It's best to just stick with whatever posting length you're comfortable with and to look for other people who have similar preferences.

I wouldn't worry about the furry thing, either. You're not the only furry I've seen around the site, and, in fact, you could probably say that you're specifically looking for other furries to RP with and still find a good handful of partners.

Another problem might be that, after a while, a partner search thread can get buried if there aren't a lot of fast replies. When this happens, you can make a post saying that you're still looking for partners, which will bump your thread to the top of the forum list, giving you more visibility.

I personally don't do very much 1x1 RPing, but, one thing that might be a problem, judging from your partner search thread, is that you haven't listed any plot ideas. If you look at other partner search threads, you'll see that most people post lists of possible pairings that they're craving or fandoms that they'd like to do RP's for. I know you said in your thread that all you have are "vague ideas", but... that's exactly what I see from most partner search threads. Vague ideas. But, people seem to be ok with having a thread full of vague ideas, because even a vague idea can still make someone's brain go "!! I like that idea!", and then the person viewing that thread can message the poster of the thread saying that they'd like to do that idea. But, that won't happen if you don't post any ideas for people to look at in the first place. Even if someone finds your partner search thread and sees that you seem to be a perfect fit for them, they'll have no reason to message you if you don't give them any plot ideas.

I recommend looking at other partner search threads to see what sorts of things most people include in theirs. Again, I think just listing out the plots that you're interested in would be a significant improvement. I'm sure the site also has some resources on how to make attractive and effective partner search threads. I can go look for some of those and post links here a bit later.

Hopefully this advice is helpful to you, but, in the meantime, just keep in mind that finding a good 1x1 partner is hard and could take some time. Just try not to get discouraged if that turns out to be the case. It doesn't make you a "bad RPer" -- it just means that it's hard for that perfect match of partners to find each other.

Well, first of all, I certainly wouldn't assume that post length is the primary cause -- or assume that making longer posts will attract more players. Different people have different preferences. Some people specifically avoid players who write super long posts, because they themselves don't like posting that much content or feel that they can't "match" people who write long posts. It's best to just stick with whatever posting length you're comfortable with and to look for other people who have similar preferences.

I wouldn't worry about the furry thing, either. You're not the only furry I've seen around the site, and, in fact, you could probably say that you're specifically looking for other furries to RP with and still find a good handful of partners.

Another problem might be that, after a while, a partner search thread can get buried if there aren't a lot of fast replies. When this happens, you can make a post saying that you're still looking for partners, which will bump your thread to the top of the forum list, giving you more visibility.

I personally don't do very much 1x1 RPing, but, one thing that might be a problem, judging from your partner search thread, is that you haven't listed any plot ideas. If you look at other partner search threads, you'll see that most people post lists of possible pairings that they're craving or fandoms that they'd like to do RP's for. I know you said in your thread that all you have are "vague ideas", but... that's exactly what I see from most partner search threads. Vague ideas. But, people seem to be ok with having a thread full of vague ideas, because even a vague idea can still make someone's brain go "!! I like that idea!", and then the person viewing that thread can message the poster of the thread saying that they'd like to do that idea. But, that won't happen if you don't post any ideas for people to look at in the first place. Even if someone finds your partner search thread and sees that you seem to be a perfect fit for them, they'll have no reason to message you if you don't give them any plot ideas.

I recommend looking at other partner search threads to see what sorts of things most people include in theirs. Again, I think just listing out the plots that you're interested in would be a significant improvement. I'm sure the site also has some resources on how to make attractive and effective partner search threads. I can go look for some of those and post links here a bit later.

Hopefully this advice is helpful to you, but, in the meantime, just keep in mind that finding a good 1x1 partner is hard and could take some time. Just try not to get discouraged if that turns out to be the case. It doesn't make you a "bad RPer" -- it just means that it's hard for that perfect match of partners to find each other.
I think you've replied to my rants before, and thank you for the advice. I think I'll try to think of some pairings and ideas to put on my posts from now on. And I neverh ad any lack of confidence in my roleplay -- I'm a pretty good roleplayer, with several years experience, it's just I thought maybe my preferences excluded me from a lot of people here, but I suppose that isn't quite true based on what you're telling me. I'll try to remember to update this post if I see improvement with your advice, and again, thanks.

Looked at your 1x1 thread and a few things immediately caught my eye:

- "Looking for someone who can post multiple times per day" ... That's gonna drive a lot of people away.
- Being submissive... Fine for characters' personalities, not really fine for players in 1x1 rp. You're coming out and saying, basically, "I'm looking for someone who will do all the work for me"
- You don't list everything in your search thread, and instead redirect people to your profile. Now this is just personal opinion, I don't know how Iwaku as a whole is, but if I'm in a 1x1 search thread I want all the info in that thread. If I have to go looking to see what you want then that's already a bad sign for me personally because it again basically says that I'd be the only one working to keep the roleplay going.

I'm sure being a furry has something to do with it - furries aren't very popular here - but I think the more important things to work on are the fact that you just don't seem like a very good rp partner. Partners need to work together. Roleplays don't usually just happen magically. There is a burden, and people are looking to share that burden usually, not hoist it atop themselves completely.

You might get better responses if targeting chat rpers specifically?
I've always tried to target chat rpers, for one. And I know multiple posts is hard to do, but I've never made it a specific requirement, or I try not to. And that's really what I mean by submissive, I always play my characters the way I am, but anyone who has roleplayed with me knows I'm capable of working with my partner, I just find it hard to display that in a post for searching. I make large posts, i work to move the story forward as much as my partner does, and I throw ideas out there unless my partner already has a specific plan in mind for the moment. Also, the very first conversation I have with my partners is to find a decent setting or theme that we both really would like to work on, if one of us didn't come forward with a suggestion already. I suppose I could do a better job representing myself in my posts, but I've never tried to present myself as unwilling to do work

And I neverh ad any lack of confidence in my roleplay -- I'm a pretty good roleplayer, with several years experience, it's just I thought maybe my preferences excluded me from a lot of people here,
Well, your preferences will always drive away some people. People who like fandom RP's will drive away the people who want nothing to do with fandom RP's, and vice versa. People who prefer long posts will drive away the people who prefer short posts, and, again, vice versa. I think it's just important to realize that just because you drive some people away doesn't mean you're driving everyone away. You just have to focus on the people you do have common preferences with because, well, you're never going to be able to please everyone.

That being said, I also have to agree with @Vardoger that submissiveness isn't always a good sign, at least not based on my group RP experience. Roleplays need to be actively driven by all parties involved, and if one person isn't doing anything to progress the story, then the other person is not only working extra hard to move things forward but also has nothing to go off of in your posts to work with. I hesitated to mention this because, again, I don't do 1x1 RP's, and, from what I've heard from 1x1 players, it seems that submissiveness isn't as much of a problem in their eyes...? I honestly don't know. I don't feel qualified to speak on that subject in regards to 1x1's.

If my experience in group RP's means anything, however -- then, yeah, it might be a good idea to try to become more comfortable with the idea of doing more to move the story forward, yourself.

anyone who has roleplayed with me knows I'm capable of working with my partner, I just find it hard to display that in a post for searching.
i work to move the story forward as much as my partner does, and I throw ideas out there unless my partner already has a specific plan in mind for the moment.
^ You just did, mate. All you have to do to convey to people that you're willing to move the story forward, is... repeat exactly what you just said here. You just have to tell it to the people who will be reading your partner search thread.

Heck, this hardly even needs any re-wording. All you need is a little copy/paste at this point.

But yeah, if you're willing to discuss with your partner about how to move the story forward -- then it isn't very accurate to say that you're a submissive RPer, and labeling yourself as such really doesn't have any benefit.

Well, your preferences will always drive away some people. People who like fandom RP's will drive away the people who want nothing to do with fandom RP's, and vice versa. People who prefer long posts will drive away the people who prefer short posts, and, again, vice versa. I think it's just important to realize that just because you drive some people away doesn't mean you're driving everyone away. You just have to focus on the people you do have common preferences with because, well, you're never going to be able to please everyone.

That being said, I also have to agree with @Vardoger that submissiveness isn't always a good sign, at least not based on my group RP experience. Roleplays need to be actively driven by all parties involved, and if one person isn't doing anything to progress the story, then the other person is not only working extra hard to move things forward but also has nothing to go off of in your posts to work with. I hesitated to mention this because, again, I don't do 1x1 RP's, and, from what I've heard from 1x1 players, it seems that submissiveness isn't as much of a problem in their eyes...? I honestly don't know. I don't feel qualified to speak on that subject in regards to 1x1's.

If my experience in group RP's means anything, however -- then, yeah, it might be a good idea to try to become more comfortable with the idea of doing more to move the story forward, yourself.
I think you guys misconstrue my meaning of the word "submissive". To give context, I currently post exclusively to the Redstar Connections pages, 18+ only is my tag I put on all of my partner search posts.

^ You just did, mate. All you have to do to convey to people that you're willing to move the story forward, is... repeat exactly what you just said here. You just have to tell it to the people who will be reading your partner search thread.

Heck, this hardly even needs any re-wording. All you need is a little copy/paste at this point.

But yeah, if you're willing to discuss with your partner about how to move the story forward -- then it isn't very accurate to say that you're a submissive RPer, and labeling yourself as such really doesn't have any benefit.
I'll note to add such things to my posts, thanks lol xD I'm very shy, socially, I find it hard to properly portray myself for others, but I can do a job with dedication, as long as I know my goal lol

I think you guys misconstrue my meaning of the word "submissive". To give context, I currently post exclusively to the Redstar Connections pages, 18+ only is my tag I put on all of my partner search posts.
Yes, and I understand that submissive has another meaning. But in the context of roleplaying in general (especially 1x1 roleplays), "submissive" can also mean "I don't contribute to moving the plot forward and I need a partner who can do that for me". And following up your statement with "I'm not good at taking the lead" honestly makes me think of the generally-RP-related meaning of "submissive" even more. And if we're easily making this mistake then, well, there are probably lots of people who look at your partner search thread and come to the same incorrect conclusion.

If it's your characters who are submissive, and you mean "submissive" strictly in a sexual sense as opposed to RPing style, then you should clarify that for the people reading your partner search thread. All you really have to do is add a sentence saying "By the way I only mean that my characters are submissive, I don't mean I'm submissive as in I won't move the plot forward. I can certainly do plenty of that" or something.

Reactions: Vardoger
Yes, and I understand that submissive has another meaning. But in the context of roleplaying in general (especially 1x1 roleplays), "submissive" can also mean "I don't contribute to moving the plot forward and I need a partner who can do that for me". And following up your statement with "I'm not good at taking the lead" honestly makes me think of the generally-RP-related meaning of "submissive" even more. And if we're easily making this mistake then, well, there are probably lots of people who look at your partner search thread and come to the same incorrect conclusion.

If it's your characters who are submissive, and you mean "submissive" strictly in a sexual sense as opposed to RPing style, then you should clarify that for the people reading your partner search thread. All you really have to do is add a sentence saying "By the way I only mean that my characters are submissive, I don't mean I'm submissive as in I won't move the plot forward. I can certainly do plenty of that" or something.
Right, right. I have to admit, I do like the helpfulness of this community. Most places, I'd be told to stop whining and such. And I have been met like that before, so this is a pleasant change. Thanks for the help

Reactions: Kagayours
I've heavily editted my latest post, if you've got the time to take a glance.

I've heavily editted my latest post, if you've got the time to take a glance.
It looks a lot better! Here's hoping you find some great partners. ^^

I'm going to go through the beginning of this and comment mostly on the feeling your thread gives me while reading it. I am not here to say you are a bad person or roleplayer. I don't know you. I read like 5 minutes of stuff. I am just going to comment on how you are presenting yourself.
Hey guys, I've been quiet on here for a while, but my roleplays are running thin at the moment, so I'm hoping to find someone who is engaging and willing to reply multiple times a day. This isn't a requirement, though my minimum is one a day, with the exceptions of if you're too busy to post a couple days in a row. I won't cut it off with you if you can't keep this up, but I will get slightly annoyed, or I might bug you some for replies. I can remain on-site though if off-site messaging systems [Such as skype or Messenger] are available, it would be greatly appreciated so I would consistently get the notifications.
Say what you want. Not what you're willing to put up with.

Also don't bug people. You can nudge them sometimes or ask what's going on, sure, but if you're telling them you're going to be annoying, people will think "Fuck this guy" and backspace the hell out of this thread.

And most importantly, keep your introductions short and to the point. You want to get the point across you're interesting to RP with. Be warm and welcoming. Don't chase people away in your introduction.

Things you need to know:
This makes you sound needy and high maintenance. Rather, say something like, "Here's a couple of my preferences."

Also,
  • This
  • makes
  • lists
  • easier
  • to
  • read
It's shit for sentences, though.

- I'm a Furry, but you don't need to roleplay a furry at all, but know that that is all I personally roleplay as.
"I love to roleplay as a furry character and I'm looking for a partner comfortable with that."

Remove every 'but' you can. It makes you sound insecure.

- I'm very sub, it's hard for me to take lead, and I hope that you can forgive me for that.
-PLEASE READ: By sub, I strictly mean in the sexual sense, I have always been one to work to keep the roleplay moving, my characters are just very submissive by nature.
Why not combine these two points instead of hiding this positive point of being an active contributor? Like, "Most of my characters are submissive, but as a writer I have always been one to work to keep the roleplay moving." I mean, this is a general writing tip, but the less words you use to get across a message, the better. This goes for sales pitches especially. On top of that it mixes a negative (I don't want this) with a positive (I can offer this) that improves the overall impression.

I could critique more, but it's mostly that you sound needy and insecure, your formatting is lacklustre and you don't get to the point. At this point you'd have already lost me. Not because you're a furry, not because you're a sub and not because I generally don't engage in red star roleplays. It is the way you present yourself, rather than what you're actually trying to offer or communicate.

Again, I don't know you and I've never roleplayed with you. It's entirely possible I am way off mark. However those are my thoughts when I read this thread and those threads are going to be the base on which I decide. If you want to attract more people, I would focus on getting a more positive, focused and concise presentation of yourself and what you're looking for.

Additionally, check out these threads for some great info on how to put a request thread together.

HOW TO: Make a great request thread! [1x1's]
One x One Ads that Work: a How-To

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Kitti
I'm going to go through the beginning of this and comment mostly on the feeling your thread gives me while reading it. I am not here to say you are a bad person or roleplayer. I don't know you. I read like 5 minutes of stuff. I am just going to comment on how you are presenting yourself.

Say what you want. Not what you're willing to put up with.

Also don't bug people. You can nudge them sometimes or ask what's going on, sure, but if you're telling them you're going to be annoying, people will think "Fuck this guy" and backspace the hell out of this thread.

And most importantly, keep your introductions short and to the point. You want to get the point across you're interesting to RP with. Be warm and welcoming. Don't chase people away in your introduction.

This makes you sound needy and high maintenance. Rather, say something like, "Here's a couple of my preferences."

Also,
  • This
  • makes
  • lists
  • easier
  • to
  • read
It's shit for sentences, though.

"I love to roleplay as a furry character and I'm looking for a partner comfortable with that."

Remove every 'but' you can. It makes you sound insecure.

Why not combine these two points instead of hiding this positive point of being an active contributor? Like, "Most of my characters are submissive, but as a writer I have always been one to work to keep the roleplay moving." I mean, this is a general writing tip, but the less words you use to get across a message, the better. This goes for sales pitches especially. On top of that it mixes a negative (I don't want this) with a positive (I can offer this) that improves the overall impression.

I could critique more, but it's mostly that you sound needy and insecure, your formatting is lacklustre and you don't get to the point. At this point you'd have already lost me. Not because you're a furry, not because you're a sub and not because I generally don't engage in red star roleplays. It is the way you present yourself, rather than what you're actually trying to offer or communicate.

Again, I don't know you and I've never roleplayed with you. It's entirely possible I am way off mark. However those are my thoughts when I read this thread and those threads are going to be the base on which I decide. If you want to attract more people, I would focus on getting a more positive, focused and concise presentation of yourself and what you're looking for.

Additionally, check out these threads for some great info on how to put a request thread together.

HOW TO: Make a great request thread! [1x1's]
One x One Ads that Work: a How-To
I hadnt looked at the options for the formatting, because honestly I like having everything at my fingertips (keyboard) which is my one turn-off about this site's formatting on the whole post thing, ill try to figure out how to bullet. Thanks for the additional tips. In about, like, twenty minutes? Try checking the post out again, I'll have edited.

@Kestrel actually, scratch that, it took less than 10 minutes. It was more removing and fixing than much revising

I hadnt looked at the options for the formatting, because honestly I like having everything at my fingertips (keyboard) which is my one turn-off about this site's formatting on the whole post thing, ill try to figure out how to bullet. Thanks for the additional tips. In about, like, twenty minutes? Try checking the post out again, I'll have edited.
You can always just make lists

- this

or

* this

No need to use formatting!

You can always just make lists

- this

or

* this

No need to use formatting!
you see, i tried that, and i even tried using Tab for the indentations, but because of the notepad-esque system they use, it usually doesnt register more than one space, and Tab in this just adds a bunch of spaces.

you see, i tried that, and i even tried using Tab for the indentations, but because of the notepad-esque system they use, it usually doesnt register more than one space, and Tab in this just adds a bunch of spaces.
Yeah, tab definitely messes up. Even the indent tag doesn't work if you edit your post at all (or at least it didn't way back when I tried experimenting with it). But I wouldn't think you would need an indented list; just a plain one would work.

Though you can also just type the code manually if you don't want to use the Rich Text Editor! It's very simple:

• one bullet
  • two bullet
  • three bullet

Code:
[list][*]one bullet
[*]two bullet
[*]three bullet[/list]

Yeah, tab definitely messes up. Even the indent tag doesn't work if you edit your post at all (or at least it didn't way back when I tried experimenting with it). But I wouldn't think you would need an indented list; just a plain one would work.

Though you can also just type the code manually if you don't want to use the Rich Text Editor! It's very simple:

• one bullet
  • two bullet
  • three bullet

Code:
[list][*]one bullet
[*]two bullet
[*]three bullet[/list]
well, if you take a quick look at my latest post, then youll see what ive done. I just used what was in front of me. I dont like having to learn how to type out every bit of code. It's why I dropped HTML class in highschool lol

Status
Not open for further replies.