Cotton Blossom

Feeling both offended and disheartened, Evangeline just frowned. Clearly, she had thought that Wes was a different person... perhaps someone that would be like a breath of fresh air in that cold, stuffy house. Maybe that he would act differently than his brothers. Though he did not outwardly say her position was merely to have children, cook and clean, she could almost hear it in his voice. He did not counter what everyone else had drilled into her head, what she would become.
In the end, Evangeline wasn't entirely sure what she had expected from him. Maybe that he would pick her up and carry her off, living with her in the depths of the forest. It sounded like a beautiful life. Still, Eva knew it was foolish and wishful thinking. Such things were both selfish and nearly impossible.

Rolling onto her side, Evangeline merely decided to ignore Wes. She prayed that in a few hours she'd be able to muster up the courage and strength to tell him she was ready to leave.
It was quite amazing; just last night she never wanted to leave his arms, and now she wanted to get as far away from his as she possibly could. She was merely upset and broken, thinking that the man had led her onto believe he was someone, or could do something, he could not. The thought of returning to that stupid house and that stupid man made her stomach curl.

Arathi, seeming to sense the young woman's plight, soon abandoned his master with saddened eyes, as though apologizing for leaving him. He rounded the young woman, sat down in front of her, and rested his chin against her forehead. Despite her tears, Eva couldn't help but smile at that.
"Hello," she murmured, reaching out and scratching the pup underneath his chin, "aren't you a sweet little fellow."
Seeming to agree, Arathi yaps and then plants a wet kiss on her cheek. Though most women would be disgusted and push him away, she merely giggled and allowed him to lick the salt from her skin. "You are a silly animal!" Soon enough the furry creature is curling up beside her, his breathing going swallow and his big eyes staring up at her. Evangeline smirked and kissed his wet nose. "Do not look at me like that." Her ribs and her side were still aching, but she did not want to face Wes right now. She just hoped that soon they'd make the trek back to the house (however far away that was) and end this madness.

It's better if I don't speak at all. Points have been made, Wes, you can stop being so hard on her. Now she thinks you're just another man. Another big strong white male who thinks she is nothing. An object of a man's desire. That man is my brother. Tim, that drunken scoundrel doesn't deserve a girl like this one. She is one who speaks her mind when all other girls stay locked up by their husbands. Oh Tim, my dear brother, you'll be sorry to cross her for those sad eyes will draw blood. Blood from your soul, no doubt. Your morals. But you'll be too drunk to notice and you'll never wonder at the aftermath of it all. I have learned this world from watching and she has learned from experience. Her knowledge is bountiful and mine is continual. A tree's branches can only grow up. Its roots down. A wolf howls. A cat hisses. Practical. Simple. She is the ace in the deck of cards. One of a kind.

He has been rejected by her and thus leaves. Moving to the riverbank, Wes climbs up a jagged rock that has been dumped there long ago by some un-natural force. The mountains, as far as he is concerned, are far, far west. Miles if he guesses correctly. Nearly slipping twice, the small crevasses of this rock are covered in a thick moss. Still, he climbs and finally reaches the top. Staring out over the small river, the clear water flashing as if tiny lightbulbs were taking his picture in the growing sun. This is a time where he can think freely. About Tim, his family, Arathi and more importantly, Eva. A true mountain lion, elegant and dangerous. Smooth fur, her skin feeling like a cloud compared to his.

"It's a good thing I warded her off," he mumbles, knowing that if he repeats it enough, he will believe it.

When Eva finally realized that Wes had ventured off into the woods she took it upon herself to try and stand. Arathi remained close by her side, a loyal companion despite the fact that his master had disappeared.
She hissed softly in pain as she first tried to rise to her feet. Surely there was something broken there - maybe a rib or two. Evangeline continued to test her other joints and was glad to find that albeit sore everything else seemed to be in tact. The fall that Eva had taken had been a long one and she supposed she was lucky she was alive.

Scouring the little campsite they had made Evangeline found a long strip of dirty white cloth, most likely from her dress. She quickly wrapped the white lace around her ribs, once again hissing at the pain it caused. Still, the pressure would alleviate her pain and soon enough she was shakily standing.
Eva doubted she could spend another second in the forest with that man. He was dangerous to her in more ways than one, nearly bipolar constantly how quickly his mind and mood seemed to change. One moment she was sure he wanted to kiss her and the next she feared he would slit her throat. It was an absurd and dysfunctional relationship, and now Eva saw him more of a threat than a woods itself.

After managing to find her footing Evangeline eventually travelled into he bushes to find herself some berries and fruit for breakfast. She even tried to make a little tea over the hot fire with a hollowed out rock she had found and some dried out berries. The aroma filled the forest and Eva continued to warm herself by the flames.

When Wes returned, his skin glistening with sweat and bronzed by the sun, Eva barely looked at him. She did mumble however, gesturing to the fire, "I made some tea. I can walk now, albeit slowly, but at least we can made our way back to the house today."

Figuring that Eva has had enough time on her own, Wes stands up from the rock. The water shimmers and the birds up in the air call messages to one another. Trout in the river happily jump upstream. It's good to be back. The man concludes, knowing how well nature understands him when the civilized world cannot. It's all numbers and money for the average white folk. They don't take a moment, just a single tiny moment, to stop and smell the flowers. Wes has seen them tare down the forests instead of living within their safety. White men are agitated by nature for it's deadly but isn't that the only factor pushing them onwards? Fear of death! And wouldn't the forests be the perfect place to establish and maintain a connection with mother nature? Wes sure thinks so. He finds the white man's way of life oddly disturbing with all its proper introductions and social status. Wes could care less.

A strange sort of berried aroma fills the air, much to Wes' surprise. Thinking it ought to be some other traveler, perhaps Eva's husband to be, Wes takes a short jog around the forest. His heart starts to beat as wild as the world around him. A natural stimulant that keeps him going through the screaming of his burning calves. That smell, perhaps elderberries? He remembers it well for his mother's tent always smelled distinctly the same. That scent signifying something far too tart. "Excuse me?" Wes asks the girl leaning over the fire, assessing her cooking stone. That's when he realizes the smell has been coming from their fire the whole time. Thinking about joking once more about the likelyhood of a poisonous berry, Wes holds his tongue.

"May I sit?" Asking permission seems like the best option for he has no idea what else to think, say, or do. When the option of going back comes to light, Wesinaco can only bow his head. "Then you shall be taken home and safely placed in the hands of Tim. Just know that If you're ever going to prove yourself to those white men, you'll have to be alone when you appear. They'll think you survived the whole time alone in the forest. I can spend another night or two outside in the wild. I can spend a week out here if you think it's necessary for I have offended you. As punishment, I should give you your space in order to think clearly. You see, if I return with you, another point will be scored for a man saving a woman from death. You'll still be in the same rut in their minds. Helpless. Unknowledgeable. If you return alone then you have leverage next time they accuse you wrongly of having no brain."

Though Evangeline found his suggestion brave and admirable, she certainly did not want to take him up on it. Wes was in a similar predicament as she; shunned by those man, called weak and out of place. She certainly did not want to take any of the credit for everything he had done for her. In the end, the young lady knew that no matter who appeared first or what they claimed, they both were going to get in trouble and no one was going to be admired by the finish of it all. Tim had a hard head, and wanted to blame anyone but himself. They all knew he should have been with his wife-to-be at the time, ensuring her safety in the great wilderness. Instead, he was too wrapped up in his drinking and poker games to really give a damn.

Evangeline did not speak again until they were beginning to pack up their things. "We will return together," she said resolutely; not a suggestion but a statement. "I don't want to take the credit for what you have done for me. No matter what, Timothy will call me worthless and naive. It doesn't matter."

Eventually the two of them ate the fish that had been buried under the ground. Eva's stomach was a little sore though due to her nervousness, and she ended up giving the pieces of meat to Arathi, who know seemed to dote on her side. She pet his head and spoke softly to him, almost like a baby. It seemed as though he was not used to the gentleness of a woman, and was enraptured by the sweet girl.

"Do you mind if I go and bath first, in the lake? I'm sure I will be a fright if they see me like this."
Once her companion obliged, Evangeline slowly made her way back to the lake. There was a line of trees in between their campsite and the water's edge, and so after looking over her shoulder to ensure that Wes had not followed, Eva stripped down. She tossed her dress, bandages and even undergarments on the sand and waded into the cool water. Now that it was mid-morning, it was much warmer and relaxing, almost like a bath. Stark naked, Evangeline immediately began to scrub away the dirt and grime, sweat even, from her skin. She used a bit of sand to scrub her face, and even scrubbed through her golden blond locks a little. Figuring that they had some time to spare, Evangeline laid back in the water, simply enjoying the flow of it against her limbs... even a few fish passed, causing her to squeal in surprise and delight.

"He shouldn't call you such things," Wes whispers sharply. It's anger indeed but this time, he is more distraught at the egotistical elements that all his brothers hold. They look at the world and see a price tag. Wesinaco has witnessed many good gentleman, both of his kind and of that glistening white, fall to the foil of money. You may gain your riches and large households, have your name known throughout the world, but you'll always bee cold hearted. Crass. And, not to forget, angry with no one but yourself. The more money someone has, the more likely they are to crave more. It's an ongoing cycle that may never end until death's army recruits them.

Mistake! Tell her off... His mind instructs him, wanting him to speak harsh words once more. But Wes couldn't, he wouldn't for he has done enough damage and has spread his message loud and clear. Shrugging to her question, Wes simply nods, giving her the freedom of immersing herself in the murmur of the rapids. The white water flows over the smooth and algae infested rocks, cascading down into the next pool. Wes could have spent all day sitting up above the world, looking out and into its mysteries. The thoughts tickle his mind of going after Eva but he knows that before, he could have easily gotten away with it, now the poor girl will be scared out of her mind. Horrible thoughts will overrun her mind of rape or thoughtless seduction and he could not, he would not force himself upon her in any way ever again.

"But, if you think it won't make a difference, so be it." He calls after her but she is already moving through the sentinel line of trees guarding the river from his view. When she comes back, he will be sure to ask her about the coloring of the rabbit again. It needs to be believable and she needs to live every single moment of the lie. If she fails to do so, a black and white rabbit will surely be the death of him in Tim's eyes for even his brother knows that there are no rabbits of that color, as far as Wes is concerned, around these parts.

After cleansing her skin of the grime and dirt, Evangeline redressed in what was left of her clothing. The tight wrapping around her bodice soothed her aching ribs, and she tied it as tight as she could. She imagined that Wes would be able to bind it even better, but she feared him putting his hands on her again. He was a wild rushing river, unpredictable and rapid. One moment he was so gentle, the next it seemed as though he were going to rip her head of. At first Evangeline had been drawn to him and his kindness, and now... she didn't know what to think.

After coming back to their makeshift campsite, Evangeline began to help him bury the remnants on what was left of them. It seemed as though his mantra was not to leave a mark on the Earth; if anyone were to find this place, and this spot, again they would never know that someone had been there. Evangeline found it rather beautiful. Her people had been ruining the native lands for generations now, not a care to what their legacy would be and what damage they would do.

Eventually, the two of them and Arathi began to make the trek back up towards the house. Evangeline wasn't entirely sure they were going in the correct direction but did not question Wes as he guided her. Most of the time he walked in front of her, Arathi darting between the two of them and the bushes.
Evangeline was glad for that; she was constantly wincing and whimpering in pain, but she didn't want to stop walking. There was no way she was going to spend another night out in these lonely woods... even if she might not have minded the Cheyenne's strong arms around her once again.

She sighed as they continued, "brown," she murmured.
When Wes looked back at her confusion, Evangeline merely lowered her head in shame and said in a quiet voice, "the rabbit was brown. Maybe just a baby. With grey tufts around his whiskers and ears, and a few white spots. It looked like he was limping from his back leg, but I did not see any blood. I went too far, lost sight of him... and then I was lost."

It's true that the Cheyenne man had cleared the camp long before Eva returned. The fire was put out and the coals holding the threat of flame buried deep underneath the ground by his own dirty fingers. Spreading the fire out over the clearing, Wes waited patiently for the orange embers to finally give up and die in the few gusts of wind that come. The embers burn bright, as bright as if they were to burst into flame once again, but soon die out. Wes always enjoys taking apart a fire for it makes him think upon the shortness of life. For almost two days, this fire has been crackling happily, consuming log after log, and now he, just a human, has ended such beauty. Praying silently by the buried embers, Wes looks up to Eva, signaling that he is ready to leave as well once the brush is spread over the ember graves.

He walks steadily through the woods, keeping close to the river but far enough away so that they don't have to climb over the deposited rocks that lie there. Breaking a stick from a fallen tree, he hands one to Eva and carves one for himself. Knowing they might need them, either to be used for support or to club a ferocious rabid animal, Wes is unsure. Stopping when she murmurs her response to his ancient question, Wes stops and turns around to her.

"What?" the tall man asks, looking at her innocent hues dance away from his gaze. Perhaps he didn't hear her. It's either that or he wanted her to repeat what she revealed. Smiling, he is pleased that she has finally made up her mind and is living in her lie. "Where were the white spots? Close your eyes as we stop for a moment and rest, you need to take things easy. Here, sit on this rock." He motions over to a large half submerged protrusion. "Just focus on your breath filling and depleting from your lungs. Energizing, isn't it? Such a simple task you never think about but when you do - doesn't it open many doors?" Pausing, he feels the urge to apologize but holds his tongue, focusing on Arathi as he comes to sit next to the two. Eva turns away from him and he lets her for this time.

Evangeline thought it foolish that he was asking such details, because she knew that Timothy really was not going to ask her such deep, detail-oriented questions. She supposed that the man was merely just afraid that she was going to blow their cover and break down. Little did he know, that Eva was much stronger than that. She had stood in the face of danger many times before, stared in eyes that had threatened to very well kill her. She doubted a little yelling on her husband's part would do little to them both in the long run. Once he got a bottle of whiskey, he'd nurse himself to sleep.

As he had instructed, Evangeline listens to her careful breathing. The sound of it is nearly lost in the whispering wind, but she concentrated nonetheless. It was very soothing, and the young lady felt almost as though she could drift into sleep again.

Finally, a few minutes later she opened her eyes. Arathi was trying to get his muzzle underneath her hand, prompting him to pet him. Evangeline kept her gaze away from Wes, still a little bit fearful of the strong and mighty Cheyenne man. Her heart was conflicted over her feelings, and she doubted it would ever change - he was always changing, a white man one moment and a strong Cheyenne warrior the next. He was stable, an adventure. Evangeline figured that was why she was drawn to him in the first place... he was dangerous, unlike any man she had ever met. She was sure that Wes could take her on the ride of her life if she very well chose so.

The young woman quietly began to speak of the rabbit again, where the spots were located, how large it was. She thought that she was unbelievable, but he gave her no feedback, making her bite her lip a bit in apprehension.
"What was your home like?" she dares to ask, keeping her eyes averted to the trees ahead, "the spots around it, was it anything like this?"

Wes smiles once she concludes her speech about the rabbit. Feeling comfortable that she won't just choke up and blame it all on him, he finally allows them to start walking again. Keeping his head in the clouds, he hardly pays attention to anything the girl might be saying. For the longest time he has no answer to give for he is not sure where to start. Thinking deeply on it, the man clambers over a very steep slope, grabbing onto a root in the ground and offering his hand down to Eva. She will have to place her trust in him again. If she takes the hand, she will make it to the top, with his assistance, his muscles bulging under the strain of her body weight. It surprises him when she takes his hand after a long moment of careful and concentrated thinking. She weighs nothing, as light as the air itself. Before she knows it, his hand is at her waist and he is assisting her up the ledge.

"My house..." he breathes, "You mean the one that burnt down?" not waiting for her answer, he starts to describe how the same river that they slept by comes from his mountains. Fresh and turquoise blue water tapped from the freshest springs the world should know. Telling her that she ought to see it herself one day, he compares them to the blue of her eyes. Using words as enchanting or visionary, he tells her of the promise that his house had. It was close enough to the forest for a days hunt yet far enough as to not be disturbed by the wildlife at every single moment. Chuckling, he describes the cozy wooden cabin and the fire that was always lit when he occupied it. Its clear in his voice that he loved his home as well as the company of his faithful companion. Arathi, knowing that they're talking about him, starts to yip, not in a demanding way, when his name is mentioned. A soft smile carves itself onto the edges of the dogs slobbering mouth.

"And now you know of my house when I know of yours." pushing past a clearing, he can almost smell the house in the distance. "We're almost there." turning back to Eva, his words spill out like a waterfall, "Just know that my harshness is for your own protection. I ought to be the man they describe me as. If I am not, they'll surely find another excuse or another ploy to get rid of me. They can deal with what I should be but cannot deal with you and your strength. You'll upset the balance, you see." swallowing, he hopes she understands.

Hearing of Wes’s home, Evangeline could nearly imagine it. A small log cabin nestled in the deepest woods, no one to disturb his solitude and privacy. In a lot of ways it was what Eva had always dreamed of; she hated the city and posh things… simplicity was her favourite decoration. The house that he described seemed like a place that Wes would enjoy… she could also tell that he was mourning the loss of it.

“It sounds beautiful,” she breathed softly, watching his back as she continued ahead of her. Whenever he was near, Evangeline could not help but admire his figure. There was something so alluring about that strong frame, knowing he could overpower her if he ever well chose to do so. Eva, with a blush in her cheeks, even wondered what that might feel like. It was wrong for good women to think such thoughts, but it was her feminine nature. What would his muscles feel like, pressing against her, and his lips devouring her frame? She flushed at the thought of it all.

Listening to his words and continuing to watch him carefully, Eva’s brow furrowed.
She wished that he would not try to sacrifice himself merely to save her. Evangeline knew he thought her weak, but she could face Timothy and the brothers. However, she did not counter him. She had learned quickly that he was stubborn and would not listen to her.

A few hours later, the pair came up to the back of the house. Melinda, immediately seeing them through the kitchen sink window, began to shriek inside. Almost immediately the three brothers trailed from the house, Timothy following with skin the colour of beats. He immediately lunged for Evangeline, gripping her forcefully by the arms and tugging her away. He nearly wrestled her against the back stairs, forcing her to sit down on them. His hands were tight, gripping hard and painfully.
Evangeline sat down and glared at him.
“What did you do, you stupid girl? Are you an foolish idiot, going into the forest like that!” He was nearly spitting in her face, his nose so close it almost touched her forehead.

"You know the painters in town?" he asks swiftly, completely caught up in the moment once they start for the clearing. "Well, they could try their best to re-create my land but it seems no matter who tries, the colors are always off. The greens are too dark, the blues too vivid and striking so they do not mold well. Pausing at a nearby broadleaf evergreen, Wes admires his family's house from a far. Sighing, he admits to Eva that in a simpler time, one with his father in it, Wes could have been welcome. All his brothers loved him for he was a mysterious color and had strange games to play. Looking back to her, he can't resist reaching his arm through the dense evening air.

Cupping her cheek, whether she wants it or not, he adds, "I want to..." knowing that the safety of the forest around them will cloak his actions well. They're still in the belly of the forest, the glint of her house a mere speck that lies yards away. Those green pools are weighed down by the unknown force of honesty, "kiss you." Attempting to slip his arm around her waist, he waits to see if she will knock him away. For all he knows, she could have been saying no. Never the less, Wes swings her gracefully around and pins her to a nearby tree. Leaning in, closer and closer, he can hear her heartbeat pounding away as if she were a pinball machine. That sweet and honest look comes back to his face. It's genuine because it's sad for he knows such a great privilege, being able to kiss Eva, is and will always be forbidden.

"You are the forbidden fruit in my eden," leaning closer, his lids grow heavy, waiting for her to react. Expecting a push or a yelp, Wes finds none of those where he most expected it. His muscles are flexed, his stomach pulled in for preparation. It all, might just make him more appealing to her eyes for he takes pride in the strain or burning of his body. To him, it means that he is working his muscles well. White men let themselves become corpulent and tired whilst he grows broad shouldered and tough. Still, he speaks softly to Eva, understanding that this might be his last chance, ever, to have her alone with him. Wes is well aware how Tim will seclude her from now on, the blood hound that will always protect her and be at her side.

A force, undefined to Wes, stops his lips from meeting hers. Perhaps it's the guilt that drags him down to the depths of her blue hues? He doesn't know. His sun chapped lips press against her creamy white cheek, adoring the smoothness she has to offer. Remembering the kiss she had given him in the forest, he is slow to speak, "Evangeline," combing his hand through her hair, he lifts her from the bark of the tree and takes her for a walk at his side, "just remember how you trusted me in the forest. The true me. Don't forget it for if I am... a changed man when we return, it's all a show." knowing how weak it sounds, he lowers his head and shakes it.

"Just remember that for I'd hate to lose you. Your innocence is your downfall in most men's eyes but I believe that you're ready for a whole new chapter in your life. Don't let Tim ruin you. I would be most disappointed..." smiling, he comes to the clearing and has her march ahead of him, his brothers quickly making their way over to scold him and assure Evangeline's safety. "You're a north star, shining bright," motioning to the sky, "but don't let the dark clouds," his hand comes down to the three figures running at them, "shield you from dancing in the skies. I know you won't."

Part of Evangeline had wished that Wes would have mustered the courage, poked his head forehead, and kissed her. She imagined that a kiss from him would be like any other. The young woman could almost still almost him on her lips from when she had stolen a peck from him in his sleep. Surely however having him conscious and aware would completely change the game. Eva imagined he would do it with force but with grace and gentleness, as he seemed to do most things. It was a delicate balance he managed well.

As quickly as their special moment had started though it ended and Evangeline was in the arms of the man she most despised. She had expected his onslaught of cursing and rough words, and as his face came so close to hers she could smell the alcohol on his breath. It was not often that Timothy drank during the day so she imagined he was quite angry about her disappearance.

It was not long before he dragged the woman into the house, leaving his three brothers outside. Certainly he would speak to Wes later, but for now he was intent on his wife to be, whom he seemed to treat more like a child that had run away than anything else.
His hands were tiny around her forearms as he sat her down in a chair in the front front, staring down at her dirtied complexion. He inspected her as though he was looking for the reason she had run off like that... Or maybe remnants that Wes had done something to her, hoping to send him out of their family home once and for all.

Evangeline winced when his fat hard hand came down on her fair cheek. The skin burned when he had slapped her, and tears pooled in her eyes. Seeing the encounter Melinda and Bethany rushed outside to retrieve their husbands. The Lcohol mixed with Timothy's anger was nearly lethal and he had never raised a hand on a woman before this time.

Evangeline touched her cheek as he spat at her, "you no good bitch! All this time I thought you were dead, that I'd have to return your dowry and find myself a new wife! What did you think... That you're going to go on some little adventure and not have to pay the consequences? You have been damn well eaten, or killed by that savage!"

Without his brother Timothy there, his other brothers, John and Michael, are almost civilized. At first they hold their tongues until the vibrating shouts of Tim's words retreat far into the house. But once the door slams and they're left on the dusty porch alone, the two ask if he is alright. Melinda is noticeably straining herself against the nearest pillar. She worried about Wes too when he ran from them to try and find Eva. Thinking it quite romantic, to be saved by that hunk of muscle, she sighs very softly. Unlike the two brothers, she and Bethany actually care that he wasn't injured on their safe return home. Eagerly waiting for her moment to embrace Wes, Melinda nearly turns her fingers white while gripping onto the railing.

After yet another stern lecture about the importance of this marriage and the money that comes with it. Wes can't help but frown for their mind are no surprise to him. Their heads are in their pockets, checking their wallets and bank notes. Hearing Tim cuss at Eva causes anger to knot itself against his stomach. It's only fueled when Bethany comes running in after Melinda in distress. Her husband takes her into his arms and kisses the top of her head, wishing to know what has made her so upset.

Informing the group that Tim, under the influence of drink as they all are aware, has smacked Evangeline. The news nearly puts the poor girl in tears. She knows she ought just to accept it for Eva has 'earned' herself that slap for running into the forest. Still, that doesn't ease any of Beth's sadness for she hates violence and if her husband were ever to slap her in that way, he would be booted right out the door. She is a silent visionary for her time for many women are abused by their husbands and don't speak out. Beth has found her strength in threatening to cut her husband out of her will and all of her families fortune. Michael isn't dim but he is too much of a pushover, keeling over and giving in way too easily. Tim hates that quality in him and brings it up a hell of a lot when a bottle of whiskey is depleting next to the burning candlelight.

Of course, the mans violence did not stop there. When the two women rushed from the room he smacked the young woman on her other cheek, sending her face flying the other way. Evangeline merely glared at Tim, not surprised that he had done this but saddened that he had not even asked her for answers. In the end it didn't seem to matter why she had gone in of how she had survived... All he cared was that she had emerged with his Cheyenne half brother.

After dragging his wife to be up the stairs by her hair, he threw her into her bedroom and instructed her to clean herself. For a long while Evangeline just stared at the door, but when she tried to open it and give that man a piece of her defiant mind, she realized it had been locked from the outside. For a long while after that Evangeline just stared at the door, wondering if this was the last straw. What would be do next? Beat her to a bloody pulp for not cooking on time, or bearing him a daughter instead of a son?

Timothy, still angry at the world, quickly went downstairs. When he emerged he carried a shiny bronze pistol in his right hand, his knuckles nearly white around the trigger. "You bastard!" He yelled looking at Wes straight in the she, "I don't know what the hell you fucking did out there but you will pay if you so much as laid a hand on her! I will kill you, I swear to The Lord himself that I will! And that stupid lover of yours, too, you'll all be dead!" He was barely aware of the young woman whimpering around him, clinging to their husbands and silently praying for both Wes and Evangeline. It seemed as though the man had reached a breaking point and now, he was out for blood.
"You think you can taint my house, my life, but you sure as hell won't have my wife! What'd you do to her, huh?" He spat, approaching Wes and pressing the barrel of the gun against his chest, "did you pin her to the ground and put her with your seed, like the filthy animal you are? I bet Evangeline didn't even go in there willingly, you just lured her away so you could have her to yourself!" The alcohol was strong on his breath.

Wes visibly straightens up once the barrel of the flintlock pistol is pointed right at him. Swallowing, he can only hear his own beat rumble through his head. Fear strikes fast and with a longing bite. Not wishing to return Tim's anger, Wes keeps his mouth shut as Tim spits and slurs over his words. To everyone else but Tim, they can see the Cheyenne mans legs start to shake. He can deal with wolves, elk, and animals but when a human is pointing a gun right up to his chest, the man is as frozen as the stone foundation of this house. Stepping back, he feels the lip of the step with his scuffing foot and easily backs away. His dirty hands move up and out in front of him, the only reaction he knows to trying to calm someone down.

He has to show that he has no intentions of fighting back. Open hands will signify his craving for peace instead of a hard fist that screams for a good beating. "My lover?" he finally chokes out, his eyebrows making a V above his nose. The barrel of the gun digs into his ribs, reminding him how delicate this scenario is. Confused, Wes blinks rapidly, trying to gain control of the crazed individual. It might be best just to take the gun away and slam him over the head with it. But that would only cause John and Michael to leap at him and Tim to have his revenge once he awakens. "Who is--" but his question is already answered when Tim starts to yell about him taking Evangeline into the forest and raping her until she couldn't walk any longer.

"Brother..." he starts, his hand moving to Tim's wrist, trying to lower the gun off of his drumming chest. Not really sure what he is doing, Wes just keeps talking in a slow and calm voice, trying to get the drunken man to settle. "I did not touch her, she is still as pure as the day she was -offered- to you by her father." Oh how he wants to spit his mind out to Tim, wrap his hands around the man's neck and just squeeze. Only when his eyes pop out of his head, will Wes be satisfied. Not taking no for an answer, Wes forces down his hand if he doesn't do it willingly. "I am no magic man, Tim. I simply went for a run that morning and when I came back, Evangeline was missing. You were angry so I went out looking for her. She was near the river on the top north section of the evergreens."

Timothy's face was bright red, and when Wes attempted to move the barrel of the gun the man merely lifted it to his face. It was obvious that he wished more than anything to pull that trigger and put a bullet right through Wes's face. He sneered, "the only thing that is keeping me from putting a bullet through your skull is the fact that my father might turn over in his graze!" Tim didn't want to make any connection between Wes and his own sire, and thus did not refer to him as their father. "I never did understand why he fancied you savages! He had three fine, strapping sons, and they he goes and gives his seed to an Indian." With one last spit in Wes's face, Timothy withdrew. His brothers immediately closed in and took the gun from him, fearing that the man might change his mind in his rage and do something he would regret much later.

Backing up a few steps, Timothy glared at him. Then he stole into the house, slamming the door harshly behind him. For a moment the exterior was silent, and then a few seconds later, Melinda rushed to Wes's side. She cupped his face, "are you alright?" It was obvious that the two women cared deeply for him, and because they were not like Tim, their husbands didn't entirely mind.

Upstairs, Evangeline wept softly in her bed. What in the world had brought her to this fate? She had been a good daughter to her father, a doting granddaughter, a good worker. So why had God placed her with such a monster, practically the spawn of the devil himself? Brushing a hand over her cheek, Evangeline winced, the skin still tender and raw. Timothy had used a plethora of harsh words with her before, but never raised a hand. She feared that this was a sign of what was to come. What would happen after they married, and he had complete control? Surely he would be angry over men looking at the fresh faced young woman in town, and Tim would no doubt anger even over that, and later take it out on his wife. She winced at the thought of it.

Much later in the day, Timothy grudgingly brought up a plate of dinner for Eva. He refused to let her free of the room, even when his brothers tried to convince him that she was a woman, not an animal. It did not seem to matter to Tim... he had the control, and he was going to use it.
He placed the plate down on the nightstand with a clatter, and glared at Evangeline. "You will never see that man again. You will be in here until he leaves, or I kill him. Whichever is first."

"My father." How those words made his blood boil and his lip lift up in a slight snarl. Was Tim trying to anger him so that he'll have some reason for shooting Wes? The sad bit is that Wes guarantees that is the only reason Tim uttered them. Pushing Wes back into his place. His violent savageness being released and Tim will be right there enticing him. Once Wes snaps, he will be a danger to everyone in the house and Tim will have his reason for kicking him out. Wes supposes that he should be happy his father adored him so much but at the same time, he adores his mother and wishes he could have fully grown up with her away from these white folk. They call his people savage, blood drinkers, when really these ghosts of men are the ones hitting their wives and ruining the precious earth.

After Melinda comes over and holds his face in her hands, he calms down. The large bronze chest of his slowing to a regular heartbeat. He spends the whole day with the ladies, telling them about everything, well almost everything, that happened in the forest. Trusting them not to alter the story, Wes believes that they'll tell their husbands when they get the chance and hopefully Evangeline will gain her freedom. It didn't feel right to have her locked up when it should be Tim behind bars. Dammit! This house is enough Tim's as it is his so Wes gets the crazy idea to slip out of his window once the house falls dark and silent.

Kneeling before the sill, he preys it open with his fingertips, the soft wood almost bending to his strength. "Evangeline?" He asks, carefully placing his weight on the wooden floor. Glancing around the room, he finds the body beneath the blankets. Swallowing, he hopes to the gods that he is in the right room. Whispering her name again, he crouches down and slides his way across the floor. Not on his belly, of course, but squatting does the trick. It gives him an easy moment to lunge or not be seen underneath the lip of the high mattress. "Are you awake Evangeline?"

Evangeline had been tossing most of the night, mad at the world. She was almost mad at herself for allowing her father to put her with a man she knew that she disliked. Ideas of the future filled her head, and they were not nearly as bright as they had been. She knew that after these memories, of catching a glimpse of a life she pined for, she was going to be unhappy living with Timothy. But women like Eva didn't have choices - they were put with men, and there they were meant to stay. Melinda and Bethany had been lucky, as they had been attached to kind men with both wealth and a conscience. Soon they would have children, live happily, move away. Eva truly did envy them.

Hearing the voice in the room, Eva started. She jumped out of her half-asleep state and her eyes sought the dark room. Within moments though, she felt a warm hand against her cheek, done her neck, reassuring her. Wes. Without really even thinking, Evangeline threw herself into his arms. Her ribs still hurt badly, and now that one of her eyes had started swelling from Tim's cruel slaps, she felt like her body was falling asleep.
Pulling back a few moments later, Evangeline blushed. Still, she didn't withdraw completely. If she had recieved such cruel treatment she could only imagine what he had been subjected to. For a long moment all that she did was run her hands along his muscular form, searching for any wounds or bullets. When she found none, she sighed and smiled.

"Are you alright?" she whispered. Now that her eyes were beginning to adjust to the darkness in the room, she could make out his features. Seeing that his eyes were pained, Evangeline took his hands and cupped them over her porcelain cheeks. It was just a reassurance that she was alright; that though he had beaten and frightened her, Tim had not ruined her spirit. "What are you doing in here?" she asked in a meek voice.

Crawling up to the bed, the outline of her form springs up. It even startles Wes how she could just fling herself at him in such a way. Chuckling ever so slightly, Wes returns her hug with his secure one. She is safe in these arms and Tim cannot hurt her for he will answer to the wild's call. The pads of his fingers slip over her raw cheek, the position of the moon casting shadow fingers across her face and the wall to their left. Even when she embraces him, his palm stays on her cheek. It's the least he can do, knowing that his healing touch will help her mind settle down. His mother always told him that if he is swift to act, the consequences will be grave. Now, he will take the world for what it is and enjoy his time with Eva, not worrying about Tim or what may happen if they're caught.

"Don't worry, this room is locked with an iron skeleton key. If Tim is to come in here," he assumes she is worried for the whole house heard his evening threats of killing Wes if he so much as looked to Evangeline, "we will hear him before he starts to open up the door. He is a horrible drunk and stumbles around, knocking everything in sight over. Including himself." Stay away from her? Taking no recognition for who she is at all... it'll be like she never existed. But how could his forest eyes deny the shimmering waters? There is no possible way that Wes could keep his eyes off such a beauty as hers. As fresh as the newly budding flower in springtime. She is blossoming and no matter how many times Tim may try and step on her, she will have thorns. He is sure of it for her eyes tell him what her mouth may not.

"He is a monster," Wes whispers, the creaks of the old house making his hairs stand up, "and he will pay for what he has done." His thumb carefully makes its circles into her hot face. He may not be able to see her blushing but she is as hot as a furnace. "What am I doing here? Well, I thought I ought to see how you are. Melinda told me about," his fingers run over her bruising and even he winces, "sorry, I'm so sorry." Her skin is tough and feels as if she has wet cotton balls beneath her skin. It's the broken blood vessels. Wes knows they'll heal but still, his heart goes out to her, having to death with the wrath of Tim.

"He didn't hurt me. Just was upset because he thought I lured you into the forests only to take advantage of you." Knowing he very well that he could easily have her, Wes grins in the moonlight, turning his face away for just a moment. "It sickens me to hear Tim think such thoughts for those thoughts never crossed my mind," pausing, he feels a lump grow in his throat, "W-well, it's... you... you are," he starts to nod, "very pretty I must admit. As I have told you. But no matter what my body may want, my mind controls the beast in me. We all have our feral side."