Cotton Blossom

Eventually, the scent of the forest and the sound of nature awakened Evangeline. She blinked a few times, horrified by the ache still ever present in her side, and moans out. She realized soon that she was alone, Wes no where in sight. The night had long since descended upon them and the trees cast ugly shadows against the dirt. Evangeline cowered a bit into the truck of the tree she was leaning upon, and shrieked when her hand touched a soft patch of fur.
She looked to her side, and her heart audibly slowed when she realized that it was merely Arathi, standing on guard for her. She was surprised that Wes had left her with the animal, but she appreciated the protection. There was something about that man, as different and odd as he was, that was completely captivated her. Not only was he unlike any other man she had met before, but he was kind and gentle... surely years alone with nature had done that. Unlike his half brothers his voice was soothing and soft, his frame angled and sharp. She had witnessed the rippling muscles of his bare torso, and blushed like a little girl at the memory.

After picking a bit at the food in her lap, Evangeline gave the remaining small scraps to Arathi, who gladly knawed on the bones.
She wondered where Wes had gone, and scanned the tree line. Perhaps he had gone to go and fetch his brothers. The thought made her a little sick; despite the pain and her obvious injuries, she knew they were both going to get an onslaught from Timothy and even the others. She had been foolish and naive to go into the forest, and surely they would try to blame it entirely on Wes. Her heart clenched at the thought of it.

When the moon began to rise, casting light on the young woman and her wolf-like companion, Eva realized that she was close to a small bank of water. In the night the water was still, merely lapping up onto the shore.
Considering how dirty she was, she was willing to bear with the pain of her injuries to wash herself. Evangeline slowly began to remove her clothing, her petticoats and her skirts, leaving her clad in only her silken undergarments.
She gasped as she tried to shimmy down towards the shore, pain ripping through her side. After taking in a sharp breath, the young woman eventually maneuvered down towards the water, dipping her feet in. The water was cold but refreshingly so, and soon she was sitting in the shallow water, scrubbing her skin free of blood and dirt. Arathi remained on the shore, watching and guarding, and Evangeline playfully flicked some water at him. The dog yapped and ran around in a few playful circles.
Her silken undergarments were soaked and cold, but the water felt wonderful against her wounds. Evangeline even brought some water to her face, freeing herself of the dirt and the grime. She shivered a bit in the cold, but soon dipped her long golden hair in, as well.

Eventually Wes found a spot littered with dark green trout, the white speckles covering their entire bodies. Smiling at fond memories of his childhood, the Indian drives his carved spear right into the soft stomach of one, picking him from the water. The flapping and gasping of breath from the creature used to scare Wes and he would squirm and feel sick at the sight. Now, he knows that if he wishes to survive, they must eat. in his older age, he has learned many things he couldn't possibly understand as a child. Manners, well, he always had those. A testament of him being different from all the other white faced buffoons that have crossed in and out of his life.

Walking back to camp with three fish skewered through with his spear, the dark skinned man stops upon reaching the shore. There, to his right, lies a silken pale form of a woman. Wes immediately drops to the ground, kneeling before a rock, not wishing to disturb her. It would be rude, would it not? Seeing way too much of her curvature, Wes has to rip his eyes away. A desire resides, like a chalky residue, in his stomach for once he sees her petite body, he won't be able to get her out of his head. Still crouching, he moves to the yawning trees in the moonlight. His form stays his course, not pausing as his desire wishes to stand and stare. Pretending not to even notice her, he walks along the rocky shore and right to camp. At once, he starts to skin and gut a fish for himself. Mid way though, however, he turns back to Eva.

Sneaking up behind her again, he stops where the water kisses the shore. His bare feet feet the chill of the water through his toes. "Eva," he announces as if at some formal event, "I have caught three brown trout. Do you wish to have one now or shall I wait until morning to feed you?" There is that servant aspect to him once again, his hands moving to clasp around his back, his chest puffing out as a result. "There are some vegetation that I have picked from nearby plants that will assist your pain. Dull it for the time being until you can see a proper doctor."

Evangeline loved the cool water dearly, as it soothed her aches and pains, even helped the throbbing against her side. She supposed she had been sitting there for quite a while because she soon heard Wes approaching her from behind. Crossing her arms over her breasts, Eva turned back to him, a blush rising in her cheeks. She knew that he would not be able to see much of her in merely the faint moonlight, but still, she felt a little embarrassed.

"I had some of the meat that left you for me," she whispered, rubbing her free hand through the water, fingertips barely grazing the top of the surf, "I can wait until morning. Do... do you mind... can you help me out? My ribs ache so..." It was clear that the cool water had done her well, however, as her sentences were less disjointed and her words were a little clearer. Underneath all the dirt and blood she had scrubbed away, her cheeks were a healthy and vibrant pink.
Evangeline smiled and continued to blush as Wes came around and lifted her out of the water. At first she yelped in pain, cowering a bit, but soon curled into his chest comfortably. He was impossibly warm for the middle of the night, and she rested her ear just about his rapidly beating heart. Her rounded figure was barely clad in her undergarments, and she was thankful when he slipped what remained of her dress back over her head.

Laying back down on the ground, Evangeline continued to watch Wes. She noticed there was a certain stiffness to his chest, a squareness about his shoulders. She hoped that she had not offended him, being half naked in the water when he returned. Being from a Cheyenne mother, however, she imagined he had seen all kinds of naked women. Her father always used to tell her the tales of the Indians, how they lived in communal tents, little privacy and few rules guiding them.
After ingesting the herbs that he had picked for her aches and pains, Evangeline made a small pillow for herself out of her dirty and torn petticoats. It certainly was no plush bed but was better than nothing. She curled into it and watched the roaring fire.

"If it had not been for... for my injuries... I-I-I might not mind out here," she whispered, blue eyes flickering in the firelight, "so peaceful... and quiet. It... it's much different, than-than home." She shivered a bit against the cold, and grit her teeth due to the pain it caused.

Wes wasn't offended in the slightest. As it turns out, he is thankful that the grime and blood had been washed away for he prefers a lady such as herself to be taintless. It's a breath of fresh air for him to not be surrounded by other scavengers like himself, living off the land and the dirt that comes with that promise. Doing his best to seem as if he doesn't care about her looks or figure. Easily plucking her from the water, he keeps those bright green eyes cast forward. Not once, if she keeps close contact with him, does he sneak a peek down at her wet and exposed figure. "There is nothing like the fresh river water to help soothe both a cut as well as your inner animal. A unique beauty is seen in these woods. A beauty that I have long missed."

He holds the darkly colored roots and leaves in his hands, letting her take her time as she consumes them. Another sharp breeze whistles through the trees, making the evergreens sway and shutter. Burying the fish beneath the earth, Wesinaco makes sure the fire is bright before moving back over to where Eva resides. Sitting cross legged, he speaks with her for a few short moments. Soon his thoughts aren't even on the trees, foxes, or wind but instead are latched upon the fact that she is shivering. It makes sense that dipping herself in the cold water then being exposed to the sharp summer breeze would make anyone uncomfortable. Warmth right now means that she will live. He knows that he has to help create that warm for Eva freezing to death is not high on his list.

"Are you cold?" He asks, already knowing the answer but giving her the option to speak for herself. It's unlike most men of the time. If Tim were in his situation, he would already be throwing a jacket over her, muttering about how weak she is or she should learn to conserve her heat better. Tim would have never, for the life of him, allowed her near the water's edge out of fear of a bear coming for a drink or a late snack of salmon. Wes, on the other hand, waits for her answer before nodding his head. "Don't be afraid, I won't hurt you."

Quietly, the looming man lies down next to her, Arathi coming to guard the two of them as always. "You know, it's surprising that he has taken accustom to you in such a short amount of time. It took my brothers weeks before Arathi would so much as let them look at him without barring his fangs and growling." Shifting himself in the brush, Wes slips his arm underneath her head. "It's for warmth," he informs her promptly, not knowing any other way of explaining his actions. Soon enough, they're inseparable. The wet silk of her cloth right up against the tanned savage, their forms colliding in places and cushioned in others. If Tim were seeing this, Wes would be as good as dead.

Evangeline shivered again as he came close, but the warmth he radiated beckoned her even further ahead. Her skin, even though now covered in her dress, was ridden with goosebumps. Eva immediately buried her face into his muscular chest and inhaled the woodsy scent of his skin, not able to help it considering their closeness. He smelled like the evergreens above them and the slightest bit of smoke, sweat and woods mixed in. It was more intoxicating than any cologne that Tim had never doused himself in.

At the name of the dog the animals head perked up, but he remained standing on guard obediently. Eva wondered how long it had taken the Cheyenne man to train the dog. It seemed as though Wes had quite the way with nature though, and the dog stuck to his side like a son would. He was loyal and brave, and of course, fiercely protective.

Reaching out her hand Eva tenderly stroked the head of the panting pup, "I like him, too." It was clear that the animal was not the only thing she was talking about. In her mind Wes and the animal were a lot alike... Misunderstood, a little lonely, but protective and brave. In a lot of ways the man was a lot more like an animal than a human, with his swift movements and survivalist skills. He was made to leave in the woods like this, to live off the land and be one with the nature around them.
She continued to curl into the mans heat and she sighed deeply. "I always had a dog growing up... My dad loved their company and their protection when he wasn't home. We had a collie once that attacked a man that tried to break in. I was hoping Tim would let us have one when we moved away, but now I doubt that..." She frowned a bit at that and pursed her lips against Wes's chest.
Oh goodness, his body was so wonderfully warm, like she was right up against the fire itself. She couldn't help but lean so close to him, and when her hardened nipples pressed against his torso, she shivered a bit. As tired and exhausted as she was, couldn't sleep being so chilled. Evangeline closed her eyes and absorbed his warmth, her entire soft form pressing up against him. At this point, Tim was no where near her mind; as far as she was concerned, it was on her and Wes, now.

Last edited:
"I'm glad that you like him. Most people just find him too much like a wolf and try to run the other way if they are so inclined. People are too fast to judge." Attempting to look down at her, Wes only sees the top of her forehead before his neck starts to cramp. What he would like to see are her beautiful eyes as she speaks. Knowing he shouldn't be thinking such thoughts, the still man silently chides himself. Closing his eyes, he allows himself to sink down into the ground and relax. Eva talks of her younger years and Wes cannot help but smile. "You seem to know how to treat a pup well too. What was your collie like? Tell me."

Trying to keep her mind off of the wound, Wes' arms slowly curl around her back and shoulders. Knowing where her pain is in her side, he is sure to keep his circling hands far from there. Focusing on her back, Wes too finds comfort in her returning warmth. They are a mutualistic relationship. She gives him warmth, since he does have a bare torso, and he, in return also gives her warmth as well as the comfort of being safe. He can't imagine the fear that she must have gone through to be alone in the woods. Just thinking about it makes him hold onto her tighter. That may have caused her breasts to push against his chest even more, making his blood rush from his face.

Never before has he had such a beautiful, wet, and gorgeous woman stay so close to him. This experience is new for him since Eva is a white girl and the fiance to his own half brother. Trying not to think about his sexual desire, the knot completing in his stomach, Wes clamps his eyes shut. His heartbeat starts to run, just as he had hours before through the forest, and pound up against her ear. Keeping calm is all he could do right now. Shifting his lower body, he crosses his legs. He cannot possibly be accountable for any outward affection his body may convey to Eva. Especially one that he cannot control for the life of him.

"I could always find someone who is selling pups and give you one. Perhaps as a wedding gift. I know that Tim would be -very- pleased about that." Resting his head back against the earth, Wes' lids soon grow heavy and he tries to pay attention to what Eva is saying. Don't think me rude... Hopefully she will understand.

Eva, in her haze of pain and chills, was barely aware of the reaction that Wes's body was having to her. She was much more concentrated on his soft breathing in her ear and the gentle thud of his heart, the gentle patter of a drum against her breasts. Perhaps she was naive, maybe merely inexperienced, but she barely realized that his body was hardening in certain places. His hand, so soft and gentle her skin, is like a branding iron. Evangeline is positively chilled to the bone, and he is her heater. She curled into him, closer than she had ever been with a man... yet she was comfortable, protected.

"Her name was Beauty," Evangeline explained, pressing her hands against his chest. Because of his large size, her face was against his shoulder, and her toes pressed against his shins. He was much grander than she was, perhaps double her weight and good ten inches taller. Still, it only comforted the young lady more. Where Tim was round and soft, Wes was hard, which muscular planes running underneath his bronzed skin. She wished to trace every little vein and crevice, but merely settled for stretching her small palm against the skin of his breast. She continued, "she was my father's dog, but my protector. She was truly beautiful; my father bought her from a farmer when my mother was pregnant, so we merely grew up together. She was white with patches of brown and grey, and she had a beautiful chocolate coloured muzzle. When I was a baby, she used to lick my skin, and I would giggle and laugh."

Evangeline, despite the pain it caused, laughed when he suggested buying her a puppy for a wedding gift. The mention of her marriage brought a subtle pang to her heart; catching her off guard a little. Before she had merely accepted that she would become Timothy's bride... so what was the change, now? Perhaps it was the presence of a man that was a lot less rough, a little more like the Prince in her childhood dreams, that had caused this change in her. Evangeline gulped a bit, and sighed against his skin.
"Tim would hate us for that," she sighed. Though she didn't fancy the man, she did look forward to a future... one filled with children, of course. She began to divulge her deepest thoughts to the man, her lips moving as her mind raced, "I grew up as an only child. My father had a son when he was merely a boy, but I never met my half brother. I always made me wish that I had siblings, so when I was young, I vowed to myself that I would have an entire collection of the little ones, and that I would only stop when God deemed it proper. Silly, isn't it? But that dream still stays with me t-today. A big family, if even with a man that drinks a little too much and yells a little too loudly."

Last edited:
If Wes weren't so tired, he would try and distance himself from Eva. Any thoughts or feelings, lustful or genuine, need to be placed aside. Right now, all he wants to do is relax with her voice ringing in his ears. Yet a part of him pulls away and slaps his wrists for ever finding her. Tim would somehow blame Eva's foolishness on Wes. When she, if she, tells the story about trying to find Arathi, Tim will burn like hellfire and order Arathi out. The truth of the matter is that his step brother, sooner or later, will just have to accept his pup as well as Eva's youthfulness. Her body is well shaped, he has no argument there, but perhaps her mind is lagging behind.

As soon as Wes thinks those thoughts, he rejects them. Eva, by far, has been the most clear headed young lady he has ever met. Wes appreciates her as well as respects her for standing up when no one else will. The sweet, yet small, voice is comforting. It makes his heart drum in one of the oddest rhythms he has ever felt. Normally his skin causes the devil in people to rise up and spite him. She compliments him, silently yet fluently when her fingers graze across his rising and falling chest. The square chin raises away from hers, trying to train himself, as if he were a dog, not to show too much emotion. He is an indian and she is white. Should that matter? No. But to Wes, it's the world. She isn't -just- that creamy pink complexion he could barely keep his eyes off of at dinner. Opening his mouth, he wants to tell her that she shouldn't have to marry Tim if she doesn't want to. Yet, the words never tumble off of his tongue. They can't. He can't.

"I think that's enough talking." The air around them grows stale, his forwardness bouncing off of the trees. Realizing how he must have sounded, Wes hugs her further and adds, "You'll tire yourself out and I won't have that. When you are well again, you might come to your senses and realize what you're telling me." His breath spills across her, soft and quiet as he likes it. "I didn't meant to get angry." he whispers, "It's late." is his only excuse. Not knowing how to respond to such personal details about her and her family. They have only just met and Wes believes that it's the aura of the night making her act so irrationally. Pressing his cheek onto the top of her head, Wes soon falls asleep with his arms around her waist and across her back, guarding her from any trouble that may come. Is it possible? Wes ponders, We've only just met... He may want to trust her but that defense of his is strong. Perhaps one day she will break him down all the way and they'll be whatever the world dubs them. For now, they're strangers and Wes knows it has to stay that way.

Last edited:
Evangeline woke to the soft patter of a drumming heartbeat against her ear. She stretched a bit, but realized that she was restricted. A hard pair of bars, firm but warm, kept her squished against a stone. Shifting to the best of her ability, Eva realized that it was not a hard piece of rock - but instead, a man. For a long while she merely stared at the solid chest in front of her, inspecting every little line and crevice.
Wes was impossibly warm, despite being bare from the waist up. His skin was smooth and practically radiated heat onto her. Trusting him, Eva wiggled a little closer, sticking her nose right into his skin. She sighed softly there, not knowing what time it was but the sun was just beginning to rise. It cast a soft glow on his already bronzed skin and Eva couldn't help but reach out and touch him. Was he real? Part of her had expected to wake up in the middle of the forest, half dead and alone.

The fire barely crackled before them, just some light embers. Arathi of course was also nearby, laying his head down on his paws but also remaining alert and on guard. It was absolutely stunning to the young woman, and the creature and human could share such a bond. Seeing that she was awake, Arathi stood and nudged her forehead, causing the young lady to giggle faintly. Still, she refused to move. Wes was impossibly close, and she enjoyed the feeling of his body against her much former and less sculpted frame. Her soft spots pressed against his muscled torso, and her chin fit nicely into the groove of his pectoral muscles. Had they not been alone in the forest, she would have gladly stayed there for a very long time.

Evangeline knew that it was wrong to be with a man the way that she was with Wes, now. Surely Tim would be angry if he ever found out. Still, it wasn't like they were hurting anyone, right? He had said himself it was merely for warmth, and the closeness did some special for Eva's young soul.
Her eyes traced his strong shoulders and chest, and as she pulled back a bit, she admired his features... very strong jaw, impossible for a white man, a widely bridged nose and big green eyes, now curtained with his lids. He was handsome, she had no doubt about that. There was a special kindness about his soul, though, a gentleness even while he held her in the dead of night. He had never acted illy, tried to touch her in a way that a lady would dislike. How could a man should as he be called a barbarian? He was the kindest man she had surely ever met!

There was no doubt in Evangeline's mind that she was slowly, but surely, falling for the Cheyenne man. From the day he had helped her pick up the broken china, she had seen something special in him.
Noticing he was still fast asleep, Eva dared to lean in. She ever so softly, and very briefly, kissed his mouth. His lips were warm and the gesture (though innocent) sent a shiver down her spine, a tingle that never came when Tim did the same thing. When she pulled away she closed her eyes, and then sunk back into his chest.

Wes, falling quickly asleep, would have no enlightenment underneath these summer stars. For him, it's a duty and that is all he will allow himself to think. The beating heart of his tells him otherwise. If he could listen to mother nature, she would guide him through his questions. In the end, there is no answer. He just isn't listening to the right array of animals and plant life. They're new and need to earn his trust, just as he has earned Eva's trust tonight. Unknown to him though, he figures her wounds are making her willingly curl up against him. It's not love nor the headstrong emotions that cause good and able men to become irrational. It's said that when a man truly loves a woman, she is all he will ever think about. But love is far from Wes' mind.

Arathi, on the other hand, suspects something between his master and this new smelling human. There was a way she stroked his chest in a way that would normally trouble the pup but her scent is magnificent to him. It's as if he is rolling up into the sky and smelling the freshest of winds. The pup, from the start, smelt her kindness when she pet him. Feeling a little jealous of Wes getting all her attention, Arathi nudges his head against her once more after they share a strange sort of touch. Not understanding, the pup cannot fathom the delight radiating off of Eva once their lips touch. In the middle, he lets out a tired little yip, signaling that he would like some attention. Curling up with his back to their heads, Arathi is soon snoring next to them peacefully.

The next morning, Wes awakens to a strange taste on his lips. What Eva had done was quick and painless but an observer as keen as he feels the residue of such an act of affection. Or was it that yip of Arathi's that pushed him out of his dream and into a semi-conscience world? "You are as wild as the river, Evangeline. Your lips as smooth as the finest of peaches." Wes concludes aloud, slowly turning her so that she is on her back. Awkwardly kneeling over her, Wes sets her head down in the brush. A tingle shoots through his hands once he glances back up to her eyes open and ripe mouth ready for another kiss. Captured by her beauty alone, his physical desire to hold her against him and proving his power to her washes over him.

"Why did you kiss me last night?" his eyes go wide, not even realizing he had asked her. "What's wrong with you?" Not angry at all, the Indian keeps himself suspended over her, his arms about her sides, keeping his weight from crushing her body. It's lighthearted, almost making fun of her for doing such a thing. Perhaps Wes is just genuinely in shock by the turn of events. His handsome, by standards of most drunken women, brother is losing his wife to a cut-throat indian. The numbers just aren't adding up in Wes' mind but at the same time, the man isn't bothered by it. If he is honest with himself, Wes would like to be conscious the next time she decides to kiss the redskin. "You ought to be completely out of your mind, Eva."

Evangeline stared up into those soulful green, a beautiful hue, the colour of the grass below them and the trees above them. When she stared deep into those pools of vibrancy Evangeline was sure that she could see every part of his soul... The strong warrior and the distant, lonely man. Seeing the latter, Eva wanted to heal him. She did not understand what was happening between the two of them but at the same time she knew would be entirely wasteful not to explore it.

Someone women might have been offended by his words but Eva's lips turned up in a soft smile. They were still a little bit red as though recalling what she had done earlier that done. Evagenline was certainly not used to kissing and being kissed but she found herself enjoying it with this man, even if it was just a little peck. Shivers of pleasure and delight ran down her spine, even a tingle in her toes. She was left wondering what kissing him more properly would feel like.
Of course these thoughts were so wrong, but the young woman was rather naive and perhaps a bit too adventurous. Plus there was something entirely alluring about the Indian in front of her.

Reaching up Evangeline began to trace the side of his jaw. His face was so strong and wells sculpted it was hard to keep her hands away from him. Other than his kind heart, it was Eva's favourite feature of his.
"Maybe I am," she giggled so softly, her voice almost a whispered melody in the morning breeze, carried soon by the wind. "You would not be the first to be saying that, now. But... What makes me so crazy, for wanting to merely... Explore my options?" She bites on her lower bit just slightly, normally an alluring gesture but on the small blond haired woman it's sweet and innocent. Soon Eva erupted into a smile and a soft blush came into her cheeks. It was much harder to face Wes when he was awake and fully aware of what she was doing. She hasn't intended for him to know about the kiss but she could see in his eyes that it had awakened something in him too. The thought made her shiver a bit.

"You have marvelous qualities both in your spirit as well as your physical body. For you are like a wild mustang horse with strong and sturdy legs," his hand rests on her thigh, "so that you may walk on this earth or run if you so desire." Realizing what he had done, Wes immediately pulls back from her leg as if he touched a hot stove, "Let's not forget your heart and elegance," oh it is a battle to be so close to someone he considers to be so pure and not taint her. He feels as though the more she touches his face with those distracting little circles, the redder they will become. It's as if people think his skin color will rub off like dirt from a boot. "For have you ever seen a wild horse run? With every step, they trot and gallop. With every moment, they don't waste any time. You are resourceful, stealing a kiss from a savage while he slept."

"...for wanting to merely... Explore my options?" Her velvet words ring and bounce inside his skull. Wes would be more inclined to explore many more options with her if there wasn't the chance of Tim appearing. Pulling his face back from its slow inching, he knows their kiss shall be embraced another day. Wes can't understand what has gotten into him. A constant battle, hot and cold, against his morals and desires. In the end, he know he will crack but right now, he is content with what he has. At least he got to touch her and not just look from afar.

Clearing his throat, Wes takes himself off of her, kneeling before her then standing. The wind is nonexistent on this day, making a clear path for them to walk along once Eva says she is ready. Wes, truly not wanting to hurt his family more than he has, keeps his romantic tongue locked away inside of his mouth. If she brings up the kiss or why he is acting so defensively, Wes will reply with a simple, "Don't," thinking it'll give her just enough initiative to let it be. Sooner or later, the thoughts come back when they're walking on the path. Silence clouds Wes now as they come to the clearing. The sun, almost settling underneath the horizon, aids their shadows behind the stretching trees. Wes stops her from walking out of their safe zone.

"What wil you tell your husband to be, Eva?"

Evangeline was both impressed and inspired by his sweet, poetic words. She had never heard a man speech so elegantly before, and she listened intently, wanting to hear more. He had such a special way with his words, surely a gift from Mother Nature herself. Eva's eyes were wide as she listened, and her heart pattered wildly in her chest when he spoke of her body and her heart. Never had a man serenaded her so beautifully; surely not Timothy.

When she brings up that dreaded man and pulls away, Evangeline's heart begins to slow, as she now realized that their special moment was over. Perhaps that was best... after all, no matter how many 'options' she thought she had, Evangeline knew that she was destined to be worn on Timothy's arm for the rest of her life. Before the thought never really bothered her; she enjoyed it, in fact... however, seeing the other side of a man, a naturalistic and wholesome male with eyes the colour of the trees... she wondered what more life could offer her. It was foolish, surely - Timothy was safe where Wes was dangerous, he was wholesome where his Indian counterpart was rough around the edges. Still, those traits just made Wes all the more alluring to the young, naive young woman.

She bites her lip at his question, not sure if he was referring to the kiss or the fact that she went into the woods. Assuming it is the latter, she smiles slightly, "I will tell him I thought I saw an injured rabbit - he knows I love those - and went into the forest to try to get it, and then I get went too deep, and I got lost. I'd hate for him to be angry at you or Arathi... it's not anyone's fault but my own... he thinks I am foolish, surely this will not help." Evangeline tried to sit up a bit on her elbows but the pain was still immense in her side. She prayed that it would soon subside, as they would only be able to survive out here so long. The young woman also didn't want to worry the other wives, Timothy and his brothers, and most of all her parents.
"Is that alright?" she whispered, a little unsure.

Wes finally concludes that he pulls back in order to protect her. Eva, he thinks, wouldn't understand for women are made of softer souls than a man. That's what he has been told by everyone. A man is to be strong and a woman is to stand by his side. For she is soft and in dire need of a proper protection. Eva's careless. Her actions, running into a forest alone and without the safety of a man, has shown him that. Keeping his face flatlined, the bronzed skin man grabs her by the arm. His fingers curl around her as if she were a stick, yet, he will leave no marks. Wes is not that foolish for she will move under his strength willingly and he is well aware.

"Arathi, run." he orders his pup, the furry animal scampering into the forest, his tail wagging. Thinking it's a game, the dog will try to find some hiding spaces before moving back to Wes' side. The sound of four pattering feet skipping through the brush and jumping over fallen trees and rocks both small and large.

Wes pins her to the rough dirt of the earth, straddling her so that she may not move. Yet, he is sure not to touch her wound. Speaking clearly and in a low voice, he pins her arms down with his elbows. Fingers running through her knotted hair, "What did the rabbit look like?" He whispers, enticing her to speak. Running his thumb across her lower lip, Wes smiles, meaning to distract her. If she starts squabbling for an answer, he slams his hand against the tree. Meaning to shock her, he can feel her jump in reaction. "Don't let such worldly objections distract you. Live your lie, Eva. Now, I'll ask you again, what did the rabbit look like?"

This time, his fingers run over her juggler. The vibrations of her trying to speak only push him further. Wanting to recreate a moment. The moment, full of confusion and fear, where she will have to face Timothy and his family. "Tell me again." he whispers to her skin, leaning in to kiss her neck.

• Love
Reactions: Summer Rain
Evangeline was both frightened and confused. However, she was aware that Wes was not meaning to harm her - there was a certain sternness in his eyes, but still a kind gentleness she had noticed from the first day. Her lips felt glued together; her mind scrambled for a colour, spots maybe... something that someone might believe the rabbit looked like. Evangeline, grown up and mainly raised by her mother, was not entirely good at lying.
"I... It...," she whimpered softly.
When he thrust his fist into the tree, causing the earth underneath her head to vibrate, Eva jumped slightly. She closed her eyes, trying to envision the rabbit. "It was... black... and white. A black rabbit with a white nose and behind." A soft, faint gasp leaves her lips when he pressed his lips against her neck. It felt like that entire part of her body was on fire, and his lips sent a tremour of pleasure and surprise down her spine. Evangeline's body was reacting in ways she didn't quite understand... at this point, she had only ever felt them with Wes.

When she finally opened her eyes, they were wide and naive, and the brightest of blue. Her blond curls were fanned out behind her head, knotted with dirt and leaves. Her skin was slightly raw from the sun, but in time, it would simply turn into a faint tan.
Reaching up when she realized how close Wes was to her face, Evangeline stroked his jaw. She supposed that was her favourite part about him... mainly because it was so unique, unlike the rounded faces of the men she knew so well. He was exotic, different, and Evangeline knew that he could take her on the adventure of her life.

She smiled sweetly, but there was a devilish glint in her baby blue eyes. Most men might have tried to subdue that, as women were meant to be docile and merely observers. Evangeline had a thirst though - for adventure and knowledge, power, and breaking the rules.
"What if I don't want to go back?" she whispered, raising a brow at him. "Then I would not have to worry about such lies..."

"I'm not going to hurt you," Wes breathes shallowly after his hips come down onto her and his cruel game begins. He just has to know that she won't freeze up if Tim starts to become angry. The conversation, after all, will be about him and those, he has heard from his sister-in-laws, always end in angry shouts. After, a bottle of whiskey will be opened and nearly all of it shared between the three brothers. Wes, on the other hand, has only had beer or wine on special occasions or when he has been ordered to by his family. By now, he has learned that just giving in is a fine solution to cease any arguments. He will heel to them since they are white and he is, after all, Cheyenne.

A black and white rabbit? She has to be kidding... a woman of her status! -- calm down. Breathing out, Wes seems most un-amuzed with her color choice for this hare. "Black and white?" He snaps, breathing out as if it were fire. Running his tongue over his back molar, Wes looks up at the trees around them. His eyes widen a little, his brows lifting up as well, "Look around you, Evangeline. What colors do you see?" cocking his head to the side, he moves away from her fingers and out of her reach. Ignoring the devilish look that she gives him, he gets up from her stomach and walks right over to the dying fire.

"If you were a rabbit and lived in the forest, forest," repeating the word for emphasis, "What colors would you want to be? In order to survive..." He looks around at the dark shadows of the fallen trees stripped of their pines over to the dying grasses that have turned a wheat brown. Even in the daylight, the thick evergreens mask most of the sun coming down to greet them. His eyes move to the river and then a tree split in half by a lightening bolt long ago. The forest, in time, has healed and the mystical green has come back to the branches.

Giving Eva time to think about her answer, he expects a -brighter- one when he returns. A conclusion from her observations. Rabbits ought to be a mixture of grays, tawny and a speck of white. Perhaps she can keep the tail bit but as for color choices, she ought to be ashamed of herself. Moving over with his hatchet, he starts to swing his arms and hack away at the fallen tree, obtaining more firewood bit by bit. The sound, the sharpened rock against the defenseless bark makes a hallow bang, causes birds to fly. A flock nearby settling from their hideout in the trees to the sky, parts of blue seen through the foliage.

Evangeline frowned deeply when Wes scolded her, his face going contorted with disbelief. She bit her lip, his words and the expression on his face staying with her even as he walked away. She followed his body as he walked over and began to hack rather violently at some wood. Was he angry? Perhaps the two brothers, different only half in blood, were more similar than she thought. She had seen the trace of anger and frustration when he had asked her the question.
Eva had heard it a million times before, most especially after she had moved in with Timothy. How can you be so stupid? Were you born without a brain... surely someone with one would not say the things you do! Despite the fact that Wes did not say those words, she had seen them in his grass pools for eyes. Timothy's voice echoed in the back of her head, and for a long moment, the young lady just stared up at the morning sky. The sun was beginning to rise, painting the sky in beautiful hues of orange and pink. Evangeline recalled the first night when she and Wes had sat out on the porch, how little she had trusted him then. And now...

Rolling onto her side, Evangeline stared at Wes as he worked. Without his shirt to cover his lean frame, his muscles glistened in the sunlight. They were sheened with sweat and powerfully roped. It was hard for her to take her gaze off of him. She could almost see his heartbeat underneath his ribcage, beating for their survival. She quivered, knowing that without him, she would have been hunted by an animal or frozen to death.

If the pain had not been so immense in her side, Evangeline would have helped him... maybe if even just collecting some water. Then again, the moment she healed she knew that they would return to the house. The thought made her stomach curl a bit. She hated that she knew that her husband was going to get intensely angry, yell, spit, cuss. Closing her eyes, the young woman prayed that marriage would soothe him, calm him. What would happen when their child spilled a bowl of milk, or knocked over a lamp? She shivered at the mere thought of it.

"I was not lying," she whispered, picking up a small pebble and tossing it into the fire. It disappeared into the embers, only to add to its flames, "when I said I may not want to go back." Evangeline didn't like how he had ignored that. "All you men, all you think is... that stupid girl, so naive, so foolish... she doesn't know nothing... Why would I want to return to that?"

Wes had been angry at something when he started to hack at the wood but the softer and softer his blows got, he realized that the reason for his anger had vanished. Perhaps it was her stupidity? No, Wes shouldn't have been angry at such a guess. Wasn't he very vague with his question? Anyway, it didn't matter to him anymore. Whatever volcano that had been tapped, has subsided. The result is a pounding in his ears and a shiny layer of cold sweat on his body. Collecting a bundle of splintered wood, Wes fuels the fire, smiling as the flames start to crackle and spit happily once again.

He can feel her eyes on him, both when he is chopping and lugging the wood over. Only then does he know that he has made a lasting effect on the woman. Didn't that kiss prove it to him? No, he blamed that on her lightheadedness. It's proven that women who have such a shock, just like Eva has had, need to recuperate before they're their normal selves. That kiss, as far as he was concerned was just her youthful desire for learning pushing its way through the world. Her whole life is laid out in front of her and Wes considers her to be lucky. There is no doubt in Wes' mind that she will live a comfortable life. Doubting her happiness, Wes knows that Tim will have no respect for her nor any love. She is an object to him as many women are to men.

Placing his hand on his knee, Wes looks over to her with a small smirk to his lips. "So you can read minds?" He asks, not taking her words seriously at all. "How could you possibly know what I'm thinking?" Before she knows it, his face is right back in hers. Green eyes searching and taunting her hues. They're so close to one another, he can feel her breath fan over his face. A hint of last night's dinner on her breath makes his stomach growl. "Are you some sort of harridan? Temptress?" Digging deeper into his thoughts, Wes tilts his head to the side, his eyes resting on the subtle curve of her lips. "Anyway, do you even have the attitude to flee? Without me, you'd be dead. Think about it. You have your place in the world and you ought to just accept it. People will think what they think."

Her eyes narrowed; Evangeline could not make sense of this man, could not read his eyes. His words could have been serious or mocking, but as she watched his face, she couldn't figure out which. The subtle curve of his lips makes her think that he just trying to make fun of her. Once again, it wasn't the first time for the young lady - when Timothy got drunk, even his brothers, they had a tendency to mock and laugh at the women. No matter what it seemed, no matter where a man was raised or what colour his skin, he always seemed to believe that their women were below them. It sickened Evangeline greatly; would she always be the one stepped on, never able to speak for herself?

Evangeline's brow furrowed in the center, and she rolled her eyes at his words. She wondered if he would grow angry, violent, if she acted in such a way. Ladies were not supposed to have such personalities.
"I have never been okay with the life I have been forced into. I would have gladly worked on my father's farm for my entire life, find a husband of my own. But here I am, forced to marry a cruel man, a toy for his fancy."

Slowly, the young woman slithered out from underneath Wes's muscular body. Her ribs ached very badly, but she managed to get away from him by sitting with her back against a tree. His head lifted to look at her, and the young woman wrapped her arms around her legs, barely covered in the remnants of her dress. Though Eva was well aware that she would soon need to return, she still toyed with the idea of never returning. Maybe she'd leave to live off the land, or find a nearby town where she could change her name. They were foolish thoughts, one of a girl and not a woman... but at this point, Evangeline was still a lot like the former.

Evangeline's eyes remained on Wes as she backed up against the tree, away from him. She did not understand his intentions - one moment he was kind and thoughtful, the next he was calling her nasty things. Perhaps he had taken a drink of something while she was asleep? Eva doubted it, as she hadn't smelled it on his breath, but she was used to that tonic bringing out the worst in the ones she cared for.
"I thought you might be different from your brothers," she admitted, "but I see, you are all the same. I am just the stupid white girl, destined to marry some man she hates and pop out a kid a year. I don't get a say, but that's okay - this is just how things are meant to be." She was surprised by the tears that clouded her vision, and she immediately willed them away, not wanting to show Wes such weakness.

The smirk on his face doesn't last for long. Wes, joking when he spoke before, perhaps went too far. His sarcasm, as a kid and an adult, had never been too well put together. At times, his voice grows flat when he starts to joke around lightheartedly along with his expression. Swallowing, he figures that she must have taken him seriously. When she slowly starts to back away, his hand curls into a fist and his blood pressure rises. Wasn't this what he wanted? Making distance between them in order to protect her? Confused at his own actions, Wes stands up.

Arathi makes an entrance and bounds for his master, happily yipping at him to follow. The hound runs around in a circle before panting happily. Giving another sharp yip when his master stands motionless, Arathi cannot fathom why he doesn't go running into the forest to find his hiding space. Cocking his head to the side, Arathi bows his head to the ground, trying to sniff out the emotions in the air. Sadly, all the dog can find is the smell of the buried fishes for their lunch. Whimpering, he lies down at the standing indian's feet.

Wes, on the other hand, just looks to the sunrise. The hairs on his arms stand, that same feeling running up his spine. His mother and him would always be up in their village before everyone else. Witnessing the sunrise together was the peak enjoyment of his day. Once the giant yellow ball had risen fully in the sky, Wes would long be working away from his mother only to return to find her sleeping. The sunrise was their time to converse and have breakfast together. Now, he supposes, it's Eva and his turn to converse properly. No more jokes.

His mouth had been open the whole time, words caught in his throat. "And that is what they would say, Eva." he croaks out, his fingers trembling ever so slightly. Rubbing them together, he takes a fresh breath of air. "But I am different from my brothers." He starts out harshly, not liking to be compared to those two white swine. "I don't know you, Eva. It's not my place to judge. Some are made for books and others are made for the call of the wild. I get blood on my fingers and you white people get ink on yours."