5. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Nonbinary
  4. Transgender
  5. No Preferences
Genres
Monsters, supernatural, fantasy, romance, criminality, slice-of-life (modern or set in past, usually with some twists)
26045f388af2973c1b61d21197704d29.jpg

The life of a Duchess was the closest you could get to experiencing the life of being a royal; you had wealth, prestige, grandeur and reputation. It was almost as eagerly desired by little girls in the village of Astoria was the role of Princess was.

However, for the actual Duchess, Marie Lavette, life had never been easy. She never got to experience the luxuries she was born into. Every element of her childhood was overshadowed by the looming authoritative figures of her over-protective parents, who not only ruined her childhood by enforcing their opinions onto her, but mentally abused her to the point that she felt she couldn't live without them. They'd manipulated and twisted her independence into non-existence, causing the 18-year-old to hate them, but constantly rely upon them.

She could escape if she wanted to. She was a nun now, and when they watched her head to church in the morning alone, she had every opportunity to abandon them and run off - but she didn't. They had planted the seed of fear in her brain and it had slowly blossomed over the years, leaving Marie a frightened teenager too scared to take the leap into independence. She feared that she would be hurt like they told her she would; that she'd be left to die in a ditch after becoming the prey of horrid men with horrid ideas. Thus, as deep-rotted her hatred of them were, the fear of being alone without them was rooted much deeper below it.

It was why she returned that evening from the nunnery, rather than having run off into the sunset to live a life solely led by her own personal desires and needs. She was too fearful to do such a thing, so, despite the anxiety and hatred she felt upon arriving back home at the grand mansion, she still returned there each and every day after her duties at the nunnery.

However, there was something different that evening, and she sensed that even before she saw for herself. As soon as the servants opened the door to allow her entrance to her home, she heard the voices of her overly-excited mother and father from the main living room. No fellow nobles had arranged a dinner at their home, and an impromptu visit by friends of the family never occurred this late in the evening unless something serious had happened - and given her mother was laughing, she hardly assumed something bad had happened. Hanging her coat up and anxiously adjusting her veil, she moved to clutch her rosary beads as she wandered in to settle her curiosity, her eyes locking on Bastian. She had no idea who he was or why he was there, or why her father was sharing his best wine with the young stranger.

But she knew better than to ask outright without her parents introducing her first - it was rude in their eyes to speak without the introduction, so however confused she was, she bit her lip and patiently waited. It didn't take long for her mother to speak up.

"This is Bastian-- that's right, isn't it, dear?" Valentina began as she stood to collect some wine for herself, returning to her armchair besides the fireplace. In contrast to her simple-clothed daughter, the Duchess had on the grandest of gowns and, as well as dripping in jewels, had a face perfect by makeup that Marie never had had the chance to experiment with. "He's the son of my and your father's best friend-- God rest his soul. He'll be staying for-- oh. How long do you wish to stay? Stay as long as you need, son. We'll be glad to have you. It's the least I could have done for your father, he was such a good man."

Life for Bastian had been the complete opposite of Marie's life. His life had been filled with nothing but tender loving and care. He had a wonderful loving mother, who had given him everything he needed and wanted. He had a rich father, who built he and his mother a mansion up in the mountains, tucked nicely away from any villages. Not that that mattered at all to Bastian. Bastian loved that he lived far from villages. He had all day to run and explore the mountain. His mother would teach them about their kind, and teach them the ways of their kind. And one major difference between him and Marie's life was the fact that he wasn't human.

Yup, you heard right. Bastian wasn't the slightest bit of human. Sure he had a human father, but his mother side was stronger. His species was yet known to mankind. If you'd see one, you'd think it was a very large horse fused with a prehistoric dinosaur or a disgusting monster. In his original form, he looks every bit of monster. His kind used to live in packs, and never went near humanity. And if they did, they would turn into their human forms in order to go near them. But in their human forms, they still looked...Different from normal humans. Well, for one their beauty was exotic and alluring. Two, their eyes were also some odd shade. Bastian's looking purple. And three, their ears. Their ears were very pointy in human form, just as they were in their original form. However, Bastian had on a brown newsboy hat, so his ears were nicely hidden under his hat.

Aforementioned, Bastian's kind used to travel in packs. They never left their packs and lived deep in the forests for centuries. However, as mankind began to advance, they expanded their villagers, killing the forest and pushing Bastian's kind from their homes. Because of this, many died off or was separated from families. That happened to Ayra, Bastian's mother. Her own mother died, and she was separated from her kind. This sparked a deep hatred for humans, so Ayra set out to ruin humans. Break up families, or kill them. Which is how she met William. She wanted to ruin him, however, she fell pregnant. She didn't expect it, but it was welcomed. She wanted Bastian, so she could teach him the ways of their people. She made William build them that mansion in the mountains, before killing him. Yes, she killed William years ago, not that Marie's parents knew this. And now, years later she sent her son to go ruin Marie's family. By corrupting Marie and leading her down the road of sin.

So Bastian sat in the living room, wearing a simple white cotton shirt, brown wool pants, and his newsboy hat on. He fed Marie's parents some bullshit lie about his father and mother recently passing, and he needed some help. Ashy black hair was tied in a loose low ponytail. Some of his hair fell to the sides of his face. Purple eyes looked at Marie. She was cute, very tall for a girl, and looked kind of gullible. Oh, this would be a cinch~. Smiling charmingly at the girl, he set his wine down. "Good evening, Sister Marie. May I call you that? Well, I'm glad to meet you. I hope you and I can become friends, like our parents." Grinned the boy as he stood up, walking over to her to shake her hand.

"Bastian, you look just like that mom of yours. Honey, you do remember his mother? An exotic beauty she was...She had that same unique eye color." Stated Marie's father, as his hand stroked his beard.

"Of course I remember the boy's mother. Your mother set the whole kingdom alight with gossip. She was so... different to any woman around here, so much more exotic and... unique, let's say. No wonder your father abandoned us all to chase her. He was in love the moment he set eyes on her. I'm glad they at least had 18 wonderful years together," smiled Valentina, even if that was a bold-faced lie. She hadn't been the woman's biggest fan, especially not when she had men's eyes trailing after her everywhere she went in Astoria, and definitely not when she had poor William abandoning his noble status for her.

But she wasn't going to admit to the boy that his mother had been called a 'whore' and an 'exotic seductress with evil intent' when she thought the boy had just been orphaned. Apparently, as cruel as Valentina could be to her daughter, she reserved kindness for strangers like Bastian. He was of noble blood, the son of her and Marcus' now deceased best friend. She had kindness and hospitality for him, and was quite happy to house him without considering whether he was even telling the truth. It was remarkable how well she could treat him whilst looking at her own daughter with such distrusting.

She loved Marie, her and her husband did. In their eyes, they were perfect parents simply looking out for her, unaware that their protectiveness was actually twisting her against them slowly, but surely.

"...I have no need for friends. My religion and my duties to our Lord is my life. I'm sure you can understand my rejection," responded the girl suddenly, not caring that much that her mother shot her a startled look. She knew, after all, that her mother and father had made it their mission to stop her making friends all her life - why would they suddenly desire her to be friends with a handsome strange boy her age? It would be mighty hypocritical of them if they did.

Besides, even if they did want her to befriend the son of their deceased best friend, she didn't want to. This was a chance to finally be friends, but she didn't want that - why? Because, and not entirely knowing why, she had taken an instinctive disliking to this man. There was something about him she really didn't like. Maybe it was that arrogant smile, maybe his over-cheeriness. Either way, the young Nun scowled and folded her arms stubbornly over her chest, her different-coloured eyes refusing to offer even the littlest friendly glint.

Did this stupid little human girl just diss him? With a faltered smile, he lowered his hand back to his side. Marcus looked at his daughter just as startled. This was William's son! William was like a brother to him, so he instantly saw Bastian like a nephew. And his daughter was just so rude to the boy who lost his entire family. "Marie Ann Lavette, show some respect! I raised you to be a respectable young lady! Please forgive her, Bastian, she's-"

"No, it's fine sir. I understand. I mean, I should put myself in her shoes. She's a young lady, and a strange man just came to her home and she finds out he'll be living with her. I would react the same way. Please do forgive me, Sister Marie." Bastian stated, effortlessly defending her, even if he wanted her father to yell at her some more. This little girl irked him. But he had to prove to his mother that he could o this. He'd ruin her in no time. She may be a little cold right now, but she can warm up.

"Such manners. William taught you well...Oh God rest his soul." Sighed Marcus sadly. The news of his best friend death had hurt him terribly. He may not have seen him in so many years, but he always considered the mn like a brother. To hear he was killed was devastating. "Marie, why don't you welcome our guest, and show him to the guest room? He'll be staying in there for the time being."

Oh, wasn't this just fantastic?

The one time she was in agreement with her parents' philosophy of no friends and no social contact, they were eager for her to at least be polite and befriend this boy, purely because he was the son of their old friend. Didn't they see him as any sort of threat to her safety? They didn't even like her talking to their servants because they were worried she'd either get hurt by them, or run off with one of them - so why they suddenly trusted this handsome stranger was laughable.

Nevertheless, to avoid incurring their wrath, she motioned the tall boy to follow her from the room. She was genuinely exhausted from the day at the church and then the nunnery. It was a simple life that consisted of little duties of upkeep - she did gardening, made lunch, cleaned and then prayed most the day with the fellow Sisters. It shouldn't be as tiring as it was, but it did sap the energy from her. The last thing she needed was being yelled at by her parents.

"...How long will you be living here? Didn't your parents have other friends? I find it strange that your parents told you about my parents after 18 years apart. I hardly knew of their existence."

"Aren't nuns supposed to be welcoming of all guest? And be kind to all? You aren't very kind, nor are you very welcoming. I did just lose my family. I had nowhere to go." Bastian stated, his eyes glossing over with tears. He and his mother practiced this and rehearsed this for months. He knew how to act like he lost his family. But all Bastian wanted to do was flip this girl off, and tell her to fuck off. She was so mean! And to a man who lost his family! Okay, he didn't really. But for all, she knew he did!

Letting out a shaky breath, he wiped away his false tears and smiled a bit at her. "Sorry...I'm being rude. I shouldn't be here long. I just need to get on my feet...And My father spoke so highly of your parents. He spoke of them often. He missed them dearly, was planning to take me to meet them...But...Some thief broke in...Killed my parents and robbed us of everything we had...I was a coward...I just stayed and hid in my closet. I didn't even fight back..."

It was abundantly clear from her frosty reception and her cold remarks that the girl wasn't necessarily used to social interaction. She at least got to head outside these days, but that was to head to a nunnery where most the day was spent in silence. She didn't have to practise conversational skills, and so she remained unable to handle normal conversations like normal people did. She handled them with caution and distrust.

However, she wasn't someone who had had the sympathy sucked out of her-- yet. Her parents had ruined most of her young life and had created this distrustful, cold and sarcastic young woman, but they hadn't corrupted her kindness yet. It was overshadowed by her distrust, but it was still there, and she found herself frowning guiltily when spotting the tears.

"No, I apologise. I... struggle to converse, it's not my strong suit," she admitted quietly, glancing up the stairs before gesturing him to continue to follow her. "I... my parents seem keen to keep you here as long as you need, and I'm barely around, so it's not an issue. I have my duties, I... what was your name again? Bastian? That's... unique."

"My mother told me it was a common name in her tribe. She wasn't from around here." Answered Bastian, following her up the stairs. Easily he won her sympathy. Good, this girl wasn't as cold as she gave off. So she was a softie trying to play the tough girl? He could handle this. Get her to fall in love with her, break her heart, yadda yadda yadda, and he could go home! Simple. He'd be home in a few weeks, a piece of cake. Looking around the grand home, he noticed all the grand paintings they had hanging up.

Not one of them had a single speck of dust. It was so clean here. Back at home, he didn't have servants that cleaned daily. And while his home wasn't a mess, it was kind of dusty. "...Your home is lovely, really. So, what's it like being a nun? Aren't you like married to God or something? How can you marry a God? How do you know he even accepts you?" He asked, not realizing his questions might offend some people.

And just like that, the very briefest of kindnesses from the young woman disappeared in a flash. Marie may have offered the tiniest level of human sympathy, but it was never going to last. She had taken an instant, almost instinctive disliking to this man, and while she didn't understand why that was, she trusted her instincts and her gut completely. She had no reason to doubt that she was wrong - and she wasn't wrong. Bastian was eager to witness her downfall; to convince her into sin and ruin everything her parents had set out for her.

He wasn't a good man, and her instincts had told her that. She didn't quite know what she disliked about him yet, but if her instincts warned her away from him, then this man didn't deserve the softer elements of her personality. Instantly, her face hardened and her body language toughened up again, especially after the insults to her religion. She may not be wholeheartedly in favour of her religious life, but she'd defend it, especially against some bothersome and arrogant stranger.

"My life is complete and by making this devotion to God, I guarantee my place in his Kingdom upon my death. Maybe you should focus less on criticism," she suggested, her tone sweet and complimentary... despite the harsh words and her unsubtle scowl. "...My parents like you but I don't need to. I don't need to be around you. I have better things to do than befriend an arrogant boy like you. I'm sorry for your loss but that doesn't mean I have to comfort you like my hypocritical parents."

What a sharp-tongued, evil witch. Bastian stared at her, his mouth agape as he tried to string words into his head, and force them from his mouth. But nothing came. She already disliked him? How?! He was great! He was handsome! He was charming! How could this stupid nun-body not like him! Ha, nun-body. Get it? Because she's a nun...And a nobody? Nevermind, sorry. Bastian shut his mouth, his purple eyes hardening as he crossed his arms over his broad chest.

"Well, I'm glad you don't like me because I don't exactly like your company. You're dull, and you give me quite the headache, nun-body." Stated the cocky man as they approached his new room. He couldn't believe this nun wasn't fawning over him. Why wasn't she drooling over his good-looking face? Or his strong body? She was weird. She was stupid. And she was frustrating. But he had to get this stupid nun to like him. He needed her in order for his plan to work. In order for his mother to be proud of him.

"Nun-body? Did it take you all this time to come up with something that pathetic?" Came the now characteristically cold quip, the nun's reply being nothing but her usual dose of barely-concealed hatred and disgust. Any assumption that the nun would be kind and generous was deeply misplaced. She wasn't even that innocently minded. Sure, she didn't have deeply explicit thoughts, but she had passing ones of how cute the men she finally got to see for herself were. She was sure that, as a woman now devoted to God, she shouldn't be absently noticing how cute the family gardener was, or how the priest at the church had an enviable jawline...

But she never asked to be a nun. She never wanted to go her whole life sacrificing the finer things. She didn't judge those that did sacrifice all of that in favour of religion; she was strangely in awe of the other nuns who were clearly so dedicated to the cause - but Marie hadn't asked for that. So no, she hardly felt guilty for thinking a few men were cute when it was entirely natural to think that way.

Silently smiling to herself at the clouds covering the sun up, she turned back to the boy with a faint frown. She did recognise his handsomeness (she wasn't blind to it) but that didn't mean she liked him. Personality counted for a lot. The royals, for instance; people who she had had to sit and dine with since she was a child, were all exquisitely beautiful... but all so egotistical and sickeningly pretentious that she failed to find any of them attractive. Likewise, Bastian's personality immediately put her off - even if she was already put off just because her instincts told her to be.

"...I assume my parents will invite you to dine with the royals tonight, you've clearly landed on your feet," she murmured, adjusting the cross on her necklace calmly. "So you can tell them all about your little story and win their approval, and you can all discuss how utterly horrendous I am."

"Story? You think I want to keep reliving my parents' death? I'm not going to keep saying it, you are so cold. The worst nun in the history of nuns. You're evil." Grumbled the teenage boy, crossing his arms, staring at the cold woman. "And trust me, sweety, you are not going to be a topic at all. You're vile, you're mean and cruel. I bet you're so mean because you've never had a boyfriend. Let me guess, no one wanted to date an ugly, giant girl like you, so you became a nun?"

Bastian smirked at the nun, wanting badly to get under her skin, to tick her off. Just for today, he'd be mean to her. Tomorrow he'd apologize, blame it on being so upset about his parents' death, said he didn't mean to take his anger and frustrations out on her. Today was all he had to say what he truly felt about her. Say how he hated her already, how he knew he couldn't ever like her or stand her.

Reactions: potassiumboron
Ugly, giant girl?

Were they the best insults he could possibly concoct? Of course, the boy wasn't to realise just how cruel and forceful Marie's parents were. He wasn't to realise that the insults he'd used were ones she'd heard plenty of in her life. Whenever her parents wanted to reinforce how dangerous the outside world was, they would insult her, telling her that this was how everyone outside their home would think of her and, thus, making inside the safe place she didn't have to worry about.

Outside, her parents said, was full of men who would call her ugly, make fun of the scars on her face and her odd-coloured eye. There would be men who glared at her for being so tall, who found it unsightly and disgusting and would attack her for it. They told her that being inside with them, and just being around them period, was the best thing for her.

She had grown desensitised to the insults. She believed them, even, so hearing them from this stranger didn't make her cry or even grow upset. She smirked, in fact, at how similar his insults were to her parents' ones - clearly, this boy would get on rather well with her parents if he thought the same way as they did.

"I am ugly, yes. And I'm tall. Do you want to mention how unsightly my white hair is? Or how pale I am? I can take it," she encouraged with a tilt of her head, though waited just a second before rolling her eyes. "I don't remotely care about your childish insults. Freshen up and join my parents in an hour when we prepare to leave for dinner at the royal palace. I assume you have decent clothes?"

Her lack of reaction infuriated him. Gritting his teeth, he felt the urge to get under her skin. To pull out some type of emotion. He wanted her to be angry with him. He wanted her to cry. He wanted her to just...Do something! Rather than just be this...aloof. Fuming underneath, he simply went into his room, without answering her question. Bastian would find some way to pull a reaction from him. The fact she was so unbothered bothered him to the point that he forgot about making her fall for him...Well, he either forgot or simply didn't care. Now? All he wanted to do was piss her off.

And that was the start of his hate for her. The weeks that followed might have been very...Troubling for Marie, because Bastian did everything in his power to piss her off. The first morning he stayed, he put a ton of powder on the blades of her ceiling fan while she was at church. That way, when she returned and turned on her ceiling fan, it would start 'snowing' in her room. His next antic was using her hairbrush. He knew his mother hated when he used hers, so he brushed her hair, and made sure to leave all of his dark black hair in it, just to piss her off. The next thing he did? Move things in her room, so she would have trouble finding it. Bastian had done plenty of things to tick her off.

But he didn't get not one reaction from her.

Not one! It was driving him insane. And as much as it was driving him insane, it was amusing him. It was fun, toying with the nun. But she didn't lose her cool. Or at least didn't let him see her lose her cool. He had to give it to her. She was definitely admirable in keeping her cool. But he'd find one way to get under that skin of hers. One morning, Bastian woke up early, just to catch her before she left. Still in his night clothes and hair a wreck, his pointy ears were on full display. She'd seen them before, so it wouldn't be a shock. Besides, he always came to her room before she left to do her little nun things. "Ah, nun-body, good morning~" He chimed, that cocky little smirk on his face.

The last few weeks for Marie had been tantamount to torture. She wasn't even sure if she believed fully in an overarching God, but assuming the big man was real, she wasn't his biggest fan at the moment. If he was real, then he had put Bastian into her life. On one hand, she could see it as a challenge; a test of her will, resolve and patience. On the other, she could see it as a punishment from a God who knew that she wasn't fully dedicated to the role as a nun, which she should take a good deal more seriously than she was.

Every trick he pulled on her made her want to scream; every horrid joke made her want to verbally (and physically) attack the cocky man, but she managed to keep her cool - and there were reasons for that.

She knew that a reaction would only cause her parents to yell at her, and she wanted to avoid a confrontation with them. They had taken Bastian under their wings, treated him like the son they never had so would take his side in any argument without hesitation. She also managed to keep calm because giving this asshole the satisfaction of watching her get upset wasn't something she ever wanted to give him.

Thirdly, she had turned to religion to help her. In a move she never thought she'd make, she was praying without irony, genuinely and sincerely pushing her attention onto religion and used it to help relieve her of her pent-up anger... though she had selfish reasons to rush out and pray at the church. The old priest that had worked there had died of old age, which she was secretly happy about. He had never been kind to her, so when he passed, she couldn't have cared less - especially not when he was replaced by a young, new priest she immediately found herself attracted to. It was a crush that wouldn't amount to anything, but being near him and praying in silence beside him drained her of her anger, and it was always good to do that around someone whose smile made her feel giddy and... like a normal girl.

But that would have to wait a few minutes, considering Bastian had burst into her room to distract her from leaving. Brushing her hair from her face, she tiredly pulled her veil on and adjusted her cross, shooting him a glare that didn't hold back on its venom.

"What do you want? To tease me some more? I told you, I don't like you. Your insults mean nothing."

"Ow, Marie. That hurts, right here." Dramatically, he placed his hands on his heart, and leaned back on the door, as if he was going to faint. Then, he broke into cackles as he came up from behind her, looking at her through the mirror. "Wow, look at you. Your beauty just blinds me in the morning. And wow, your morning breath nearly knocks me out." He enjoyed this. He enjoyed their arguing, their going back in fourth. When she was gone, he'd think up new and witty comebacks. She almost always had better ones, but it was fun. It gave him something to do in this home. When she was gone...He didn't have much to do but entrain her parents.

Taking her brush from the dresser, he didn't care if she snapped at him as he began brushing his own thick, ashy black hair. "Off to church? I do miss when you're gone. It's like the day stretches to years, and I yearn to see your ugly mug. And I yearn to see your eyes glaring angrily into mine, my darling~" He spoke wistfully as if speaking to a lover, just to annoy her. Laughing a bit, he sat the brush down once his hair was to his liking. Wincing a bit when he felt a sharp pain in his side, he grimaced and rubbed his ribs.

Lately, he had been getting these pains. It was from being in this human form for weeks on end. It was painful. But he could handle it. He was a strong man, he could handle anything. "What time will you be back? Your usual time? Or will you be back late?. You've been staying at the church later now. Is it to get away from me?" He didn't realize it was because she wanted to spend more time with the cute young priest.

Watching him wince in agony was the one guarantee of pure, unadulterated joy in Marie's life. It was sadistic of her to revel in the agony of another human being (or so she thought) but when that person was Bastian, she wasn't going to feel guilty for enjoying his pain. The man made her life hellish, more so than it already was. The last few days where he would stop mid-sentence and grimace to himself was a delightful moment, guaranteed to put a smile on her face. In all honesty, she'd love him to drop down right in front of her, having to rely on her to help him out. If it was that serious, of course she'd lend her assistance... after soaking up the discomfort and agony for a while, at least.

"You're not as fit as you thought you were, are you? Grimacing and wincing like that isn't a good sign. Perhaps your appendix is about to burst-- oh, I'd love you to have to head to hospital. We both know that, no matter how much money my parents have, healthcare is undeniably poor. The mortality rates are ridiculously high. Maybe you'll be another statistic?" She drawled in her usually cold manner, partnered with that icy smile that she'd perfected over the last few weeks. Her genuine smiles were reserved these days for the priest at the church, or the few nuns she'd managed to actually befriend. They weren't all old and, inevitably, she'd grown close to the one nun near her youthful age. For once, she had a friend and it was... well, it was nice. She wasn't going to deny that.

"I intend to go to the church and pray and do my duties, and I'm lucky that it takes hours away from your company. Now, if that's all, move your ridiculously large body out of the way so I can head out. Go and butter my mother up with some more soppy tales."

This cold-hearted bitch. "Ouch, Marie. I hope God didn't hear you wishing I was dead. He may punish you for that. Maybe I am your punishment, for being such a crap nun. Maybe God doesn't even want you. I mean, no man in his right mind would want you, so He doesn't either." Smirked Bastian, flipping her off as he rubbed his rib.

He knew he wasn't going to die. It was just slight pain from not changing. He'd be completely fine. So he could continue to be this big ass to her. Stepping out of her way, he ran his fingers through his hair. "Well, bye nun-body. Have fun at church. And hurry back. I already miss you." He stated, sounding sincere. "You know I think of you as a sister." Why did he just get so serious? Why did he look like he truly cares?

Well, the reason just popped his head in the room. Her dad. Anytime her parents were around, he acted like an angel. He knew that pissed her off. "Aww, isn't that sweet. I'm so happy you two are getting along. You two are like brother and sister now. Bastian, come down and eat with me and my wife. We have something to show you." He stated, his eyes proud and happy, before leaving the room.

When he was gone, Bastian flipped her off again, before leaving the room with a cocky smirk.

If anything got under her skin, it was this: Bastian switching his personality to seem like a sweet-hearted, goody-two-shoes angel. Not that her parents would remotely care if he was nasty or mean to her - they would simply assume she had provoked him into that mean behaviour. But he acted like the angel, winning their love and approval, and effectively disallowing her the chance to complain about him. Her parents weren't ever going to assume that the boy was the devil she said he was, not after his pure, angelic displays of loyalty and obedience.

He was the son they never had and they fully accepted him as a member of the family, while Marie was still on the outskirts. Her parents didn't allow her to act normally or have a proper life, and yet they barely interacted with her. It was a horrible situation she was caught in, but the one respite that came from the horrid home was when she could leave to the church, be around that young priest and, more generally, just talk with the nuns. She had hated them fiercely and passionately when she first joined the sisterhood, but now they were really like sisters to her-- especially Bella, who was the one nun closest to her in age.

It was Bella she first joined up with once entering the little nunnery right next door to the town's church, smiling at her friend as she hung up her Winter coat.

"Morning Sister Bella," she greeted with genuine happiness in her voice, her one working eye lighting at the mere presence of her friend. "Would you like some tea before prayers? I could do with it. Bastian was irritating me to no-end today. Honestly, if I didn't have the Lord to turn to, I'd lose my mind."

"What did that man do this time?" Asked the woman, after having hugged her friend as a greeting. Bella had begun hugging close friend as a hello. Bella was an adorable girl. She was shorter than Marie, but most women were. And she was rounder than most, but it only added to her adorableness. Bella told Marie that she used to be very insecure about her weight, and how neighbor boys called her piggy, but now she was comfortable in her body. She had long thick brown hair, that was always hidden of course. Her cheeks were pudgy but had deep dimples in each. Her eyes were a soft shade a light brown.

She had thick long eyelashes on both and full soft pink lips. She was an adorable girl. She listened to Marie when she complained about Bastian. She found the man to be as repulsive as Marie had told her, even though she had never met him. "Honestly, I don't know how you do it, Sister Marie. I would have lost it when he put the powder on the fan. It must have taken forever to get the powder out of everything."