Controlled

• Thread starter Jae- The nonexistant
  • Start date
Krieg rubbed his eyes and yawned. "Nah, if she comes back and the boy is infected, I'd rather be ready." He plopped down into a chair. He wanted sleep badly, but he would rather be dead tired than just dead.

Areiz nodded. "Okay, suit yourself." she sat back in her chair, still twirling the blade between her fingers, hiding the fact she was really worried for three people. 1, her brother, 2, Alice, and 3, whoever the boy Alice went to help was. She used the nervous energy to keep the blade moving and restraining it from cutting her fingers.

Alice hesitated on the doorstep. Suddenly, this was started to look like a bad idea.......Zakai shifted, his arms tightening around her neck. Sighing, Alice kicked lightly on the door, her hands supporting Zakai's weight. It's not that he was heavy, but he was also wearing the backpack with their provisions, making it a bulkly load.

Areiz jumped back up, going to the door and opening it. Seeing Alice again, she pushed the door completely open and glanced at the boy on her back. "Would you like a bed?" She asked, backing towards the bedrooms they'd set up. "The beds are set up already."

Alice shook her head silently, moving forward and carefully lowering the sleeping boy on the couch. "That's okay," Alice whispered, "It's been so long since I last slept on one, I probably wouldn't be able to now." She reached over and managed to remove the backpack from Zakai without waking him. "I wanted to thank you for the supplies. They really helped him out," She turned and looked the girl in the eyes, "Thank you. I mean it." She still didn't trust them, and she wouldn't be able to sleep knowing they could kill her, but she was still grateful.

Areiz nodded. "It's the least we can do. Death is a tragic thing, and I hate it, so I work against it." She smiled a little, her eyes revealing just how young she was. The sun had started to rise, the sky a dark, but brightening, blue.

"Then, if you don't mind," Alice hesitated, "Would it be alright if I rested here for a while?" She gave an sheepish smile. "The road's been long and the first day of the end has long since passed. I suppose even I can't go on forever."

Krieg tensed a little and his hand moved for his gun as the girl came back. She came peacefully, though, so he relaxed. He would just have to lock his door when he went back to bed. "I'm going to hit the sack. Ni-" he paused, seeing the light through the window, "'scuse me, g'mornin, everyone." He got up and walked back into the room he had taken as his, and shut the door, locking it behind him. Even if the boy was clean, he wasn't taking any chances.

Areiz nodded. "You're welcome to stay as long as you want." she said, smiling and going to sit back down. She bid Kreig a good sleep and then sat there, drifting into space, but not sleeping. she was still on high alert, but not really paying attention.

Alice sat next to Zakai on the couch, her tensed muscles trying to relax as she tried to ignore her paranoia. "If you stay so on edge, neither one of us is going to get sleep to night," She told the girl. Zakai began to mutter in his sleep, slowly tossing and turning. Alice absent-mindedly ran her hand through Zakai's hair, instantly soothing him. "I guess I should say I'm lucky to have run into you guys," She said after a moment, "His wound could have ended up much worse. Anyway, I'm sorry to say I don't remember if you told me your name or not."

Areiz glanced over on her. "I'm not really on edge, or I wouldn't be sitting here." She said. "We still need someone awake, and tonight's my night. It was nothing, and I am Areiz, and that's my big brother Hawk." She said, pointing at Hawk and herself.

"I'm Alice," She said with a shrug, "I probably won't get any sleep tonight. This one, "She nodded at the peacefully sleeping boy, "Nearly killed me with worry." She paused for a moment before adding something else. "And it wasn't nothing," She insisted, "Not to me....or him." She looked sad for a moment. "It isn't easy to be so generous when the end of our world happens," She murmured, "I'd thought I've seen it all. Murderers, rapists, thieves, cannibals, religious cults, and people just trying to survive........but I guess the one kind of person I hadn't seen, was the one willing to help others."

Areiz smiled. "Some know how to deal with the stress of death a little better. I would probably be dead, but Hawk resigned from the military to help me." she said quietly.

Alice pondered for a moment. "I'd have probably lost my mind," She said quietly, looking at the floor, "Even if I had planned out what I'd do if the end did come, it wasn't enough to prepare me mentally. Sure I was surviving, but I was alone. Everyone was dead or infected and it just made it worse when I thought that the whole world must be like this." She went silent for a few minutes. "I don't know what I would have done," She said finally, "I guess I was lucky to find someone who needed me."

Areiz nodded. "Sometimes taking care of someone helps a lot. Knowing someone might come by at any time, and we're willing to help anyone as long as their infection free, keeps our minds clear and focused." At this point Hawk had fully regained his strength and was waking up, stretching his non-injured arm. "Hello." He said to those in the room, looking out the sunny window before standing up and going to the kitchen and started making food. Areiz had started to follow him, but he blocked her path and she sat back down.

Alice nodded in acknowledgement, sparing him any more words. She hadn't talked that much for a while. Zakai stirred woken by the sounds of Hawk in the kitchen.

Hawk came back with a tray. It had five plates, each with one egg and some fruit. He set two by Areiz and two by Alice. Looking around for a second he realized Kreig was in his room and he took the plate back to the kitchen, locking it for later when Kreig woke up. He came in and sat by Areiz, looking at Alice. "Food! Yay. Hope it's okay." He said, taking a bite from a pineapple. Areiz watched him, smiling as he returned to his normal self. "Good sleep?" She asked him. He nodded in reply before look at Zakai. Areiz glanced over and remembered she didn't know his name. "May I ask his name?" She asked Alice politely.

The boy sat up yawning, rubbing the sleep from his eyes, oblivious to the group around him. "I don't know his real name," Alice admitted, "He was too scared to even talk when I first found him. This was a week or two after the start of the epidemic, so I guess he was still in shock. He was alone and terrified; he reminded me of a child," Alice looked at the waking boy affectionately, "So I call him Zakai; meaning innocent or one who is pure."

The boy yawned again before finally opening his eyes. He didn't seem surprised or even scared, he just turned to Alice and asked, "Are we safe?" When Alice nodded, he broke out in a grin and turned back to the strangers sitting across from him. "Hello!" He greeted cheerfully.

Areiz tilted her head a little, smiling. "Hello to you too! I'm Areiz." Hawk had finished his plate and smiled back at the boy. "Hey, I'm Hawk."

"Sleep well?" Alice asked him, eyebrow raised. Zakai nodded happily. "It turned into a nightmare," He admitted, "But then the evil things went away and everything was alright." He grinned like a child, impressive for someone who had been through the apacolyspe.