Conscience of a Dove

She nodded in apprehension, fancying a smile, hoping for a good ending, as she felt all good stories had one. Of course her childishness was too apparent for her own good as she sat on the edge of her seat on the couch. "It sounds like a good story, please tell it?"

With a fake cough, Alice turned back to Wren, her memory of the story a bit fogged. "Once upon a time, long, long ago," Alice began, raising her hands dramatically, "There was a great province where demons and spirits were as real as you and I. In this land, a beautiful noble's daughter was born; her kindness and gentleness surpassed by none. She had been born into a time of great strife, where demons and humans fought endless battles over their villages and many did not live to see the next day. While protected by the finest of her father's guard, the daughter ached to help the suffering people. She saw nothing of her parents and was alone save for her protective servants and silent soldiers. She was so very lonely, but she did not wish to worry her loyal servants, so she hid this feeling away."

She listened intently, her large blue eyes trained on Alice, determined to hold onto every ounce of the story's detail.

(Go ahead and just stick the entire story into one post, I'm having some mental difficulty thinking up long, detailed posts, for some reason. ^^;)

( Hehehe, alright. I was coming up with it as I went along, that's why.)"As she grew older, she became even more radiant, but her feelings had grown as well and she became restless. She was tired of only hearing of the many village tragedies and being unable to help. One day, her maid told her of a mighty, all-powerful demon that had started terrorizing a close village and that she feared it had taken residence nearby. The girl was overjoyed at finally finding a chance to do something for the poor villagers and was determined to drive the demon away. She did not know, however, that the demon the maid spoke of was known throughout the land for it's cruel and wicked ways towards humans. "

Alice for a breath before pushing on.

"The girl
managed to pry the demon's location from the same maid, faking terror until the maid re-assured her that the demon always disappeared back inside of the forest after each attack.<o:p></o:p> Then she snuck out of the mansion using the supply gate that was used to bring in provisions. She stole a horse from the stables and quickly traveled to the nearby forest. Then she left the horse tied to a tree on the outskirts of the woods. The trees were large and healthy, but the ground was too knotted with their massive roots for a horse to cross easily. The girl fearlessly pushed her way into the heart of the forest, continuing on even as the sun set and the stars came out. Just as the full moon reached it's height, she found a large clearing where the biggest tree she'd ever seen sprouted from the ground. And looking up she realized she had also found--the demon."

"Well, I guess that's enough for now," Alice broke off, "I'm sure you're bored by now."

Wren looked taken off-guard by the sudden end to the story. She blinked before letting out a long whine. "Uwaaah, no don't stop noow!~" She stuck our her bottom lip, wriggling about in her seat, obviously unsatisfied.

(Wah, maybe I need some of that caffeine too. D: I hate when I'm feeling uncreative for replies. Maybe if I had some money I'd go pick up son=me death potion, a.k.a. a Monster or something like that. The gas station is only next doooor. Pooouut.)

(Meh. Caffeine is for people who want a two hour burst of creativity and energy, followed by twenty-two hours of dead-brained, zombie-like behavior. If you really want to get the creative juices flowing, bang your head repeatedly against a nearby surface. It will encourage your brain to come up with something faster, so that the pain will stop. *smiles giddily* It also burn 150 calories an hour! *frowns* And probably kills the same amount of brain cells. *sighs* Ah. Alas. I'm no good at advice. So yeah. Caffeine works.)

Lance yawned heavily from exhaustion, giving Alice a very slow round of applause. "Brrrrravo!!" He said in a tired voice, "I say! Let's have another, shall we?" Looking over at Wren, Lance couldn't help but to be amused at her indignant response to the abrupt ending. Her bottom lip shone a ruby red, protruding in protest, and her feet waggled furiously. Lance sensed a temper tantrum was imminent. He looked urgently to Alice. "If you don't think of something quick, she's going to explode."

( Blech, I hate caffeine in the form of monsters, coffee, and 5-hour-energy. Eat an apple, it works better and don't crash you.)

Alice smiled at Wren's pouting face and put a hand on her head. "Maybe later," She said kindly,"You should be asleep in bed."

She turned her head to Lance, halting her fidgeting. "Huh?" She furrowed her brows, as if thinking of something. "Why would I do that? People don't suddenly explode, do they? Maybe.. robots and machines might if they broke, but not people... right?" As Alice sat a hand on her head, she looked back to her, whining a little once more, but deciding that it had been long enough of a day for her to be tired. "Where am I sleeping?" She perked back up, wondering which room in the house she'd get.

(Apples are good.. that's a good idea. I'll get one.~)

Raising his eyebrows at the question, Lance gave Wren a reassuring look. "As far as I know." Looking to Alice, Lance grunted. "You don't have to fork up one of your rooms to me. I'd be more than happy to sleep on the floor or somethin'. Make it easier for ya." Lance got up off of the couch, offering Wren a hand to help her up.

With a sigh, Alice slipped her hand off of Wren's head and stood up. "Fortunately for you, there's a room right next to the bathroom that you used. I haven't use it, since it's too blue for my tastes, but I'm sure you'll find it comfortable enough. As for Wren, you'll take my room since there are only two rooms here."

"Huh? Where are you sleeping then, Alice?" Wren took Lances hand, pulling herself up after smiling and courteously giving a "Thank you."

Alice shrugged. "I'll sleep out here," She said, "It's not exactly like this couch is a cardboard box in an alleyway."

(Sorry, I've not had time alone since I got home from school yesterday.)

"Aw, I'd feel bad pushing you out onto the couch in your own home," she insisted, "I'm not that big, you can share the bed with me, if you want."

Alice laughed. "Sorry, Wren," She sobered, "But I've always had this problem of not being able to keep my hands to myself when I'm asleep. I don't want you to wake up covered in bruises." (She's a sleep ninja. Kicks and chops if she sleep next to someone.)

(I wish I was a sleep ninja. And that I had the ability to think of details and stuff.)

"Oh.." She looked down slightly, fiddling with the lining of her shirt. "Well, I don't mind taking the couch, like I said, I'm not big."

Alice smiled kindly at her. "Wren, it's fine. I'm more worried about you sleeping in my room than me sleeping on the couch."

*poofs magically out of thin air, hair slightly disheveled* (I'm back!!! No need to panic. *notices that no one was panicking and smiles* Glad to see you all know how to stay calm in a crisis.)

Lance opened his mouth, a comment about his unusual night time faltulence on his tongue. Halting just moments before anything was said, he thought better of it. That was more of a dorm room kind of humor. And fairly sick as well. Smiling to himself at his own momentary immaturity, Lance saluted the pair. "Leiutenant Lance Thompson of Delta Squadron is about to crash harder than a ton of bricks, and bids you ladies a very good and restful night." Spinning on his heels in a military fashion, Lance marched comically off to the room offered to him, shutting the door softly. Pulling his shirt off and tossing it into a corner, Lance approached the bedside, kneeling down for one last prayer. Eyes shut tight, a very simple message came to his mind.

"Thank you Lord, for showing me that your love can be found in places where it would be least expected...and when it is least expected. Though I deserve none of it Father, You have given it. I thank you so much for this. I praise you and I love You very much. I treasure Your involvement in my life and have no idea what I would do without it. Lord, I know for me to ask anything of you is absurd. But I know You are kind, and I know that you will hear. I would only ask that you please watch over these girls I have met. Lead them into all the truth and guide their steps. Give them peace Father. Both externally and internally. Help us all as we rise to meet a new day tomorrow Father. And help us to find the wonders you have in store for us there. In Your Sons name.....Amen."

Alice looked over at Lance's room and rolled her eyes. "I'm just worried you'll have nightmares sleeping in such a dark room," She said, turning back, "That's all."

"Nightmares?" She tilted her head, smiling slightly. "No, I'll be fine, promise. It's only a room."

"....Yes, I suppose it is," Alice agreed, with another smile, "Come, let's get you to bed." She stood up and walked over to open her bedroom door. Though simple, her room matched her nature. She had a single bed right across from her bathroom door with black sheets, pillows, and a black bed spread. Her walls were black and her single dresser was of dark wood, but suprisingly, there was no closet. Even her ceiling and carpet were black. It was enough to make anyone think they weren't alone as they slept. Though small, her bed was very comfortable and you practically sank into it.