2. Intermediate
  3. Adept
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Female
  2. No Preferences
Genres
I'm game for almost anything, just ask
Please visit the link below for more info and sign ups. Thanks!

OPEN SIGNUPS - Conley Brothers Most Gifted Circus!

Attention all new members! In your first post, I would suggest writing a little bit about their past history within the circus. For example, things they might have done that everybody would know about. Keep in mind, these people all live together in essentially a mobile community. So people are going to know things about your character and what they've done, their reputation in the circus etc.... I am more than happy to do a short 1x1 rp via pm if you want history with my characters, you guys feel free to do the same with each other if you feel the need.

Also. Posting order. Essentially this is to prevent people from falling behind when we are all in a big group. So if it's during a performance in the bigtop for example. We don't want people to miss out on the fun so we will go in designated order

If a few people go off in a group, by all means, do your own thing, multiple things can be going on at once. Please read everyone's posts though and include people if they join your scene.

Just be nice we all want to have fun here, that's all.

Last edited:
It was still early in the day as Ilinca watched the men putting up the bigtop, the sun hadn't risen yet. That was the way Alfred liked it to be. Arrive in the night and set up, the earlier they opened, the more people they could get in, doing sometimes upwards of four shows a day in the more populated areas.

Today, there was to be only two shows in the big top, one afternoon and one evening. The sideshows and carnival would open just as soon as it was all set up.

Ilinca was already in costume as she sat up in a tree, out of the way of the working men. Most of the performers were still asleep, probably hung over. Ili though, liked to watch the circus come to life in the early hours, watch as the crowds gathered at the ticket gate, then, make her way to her gypsy wagon, which also served as her living quarters. Alfred had expanded the space behind the curtain for her so that she had her own living area, it made things simple.

She, like the other performers, weren't expected to help with set up or clean up. They all knew she would help if asked, she was always willing to help people but was too uncertain of herself to take the initiative.

-

Alfred was terribly hung over from the celebration they'd had on the train the night before. They'd had a good show in the last town and brought in a good bit of money they could use for food and some repairs. There was even extra to actually pay most of the working men. He hated short changing but sometimes it was inevitable. He tried to stagger who got paid and who didn't to make it as fair as possible. Times were hard though and everybody knew it.

Groaning Alfred rolled out of his bed and staggered to his dressing room. Even hungover, he wanted to be presentable.

As he moved to open the door he decided he needed to hire someone to bring him coffee every morning, or maybe get one of the working men or performers to do it. that would work, save money and get coffee.

Straitening up and taking a breath he strode out into the yard and made his way to the cookhouse for breakfast, it already smelled wonderful. Bacon, eggs, biscuits and of course, fruits coffee and tea as well.

Unlike everyone else, Al didn't need a ticket voucher to get in and get his food, he simply bypassed the line and walked in, got his food and made his way to the performer's tables, as opposed to the working men's tables.

Al took a seat at his regular empty table and began to eat, watching as others filtered in.

Knarlrog never ate with the rest of the crew, many had never even seen the boy eat, in fact often times when he wasn't preparing for a show he was no where to be found. Unless someone of course called for him, in which case he'd seem to appear out of nowhere.

Today however he was lurking on the outskirts of the big top, seeming to be nothing but an ordinary ten year old boy. Unless of course you noticed that he did not act like any child, far to cold, distant, calculating. He was not taken in by any of the sights, colors or smells, he did not seem to find any enjoyment in it at all. He watched the workers who would avoid him for the most part, through his stilted eyes.

His face turned towards the tree where Ilica sat, anaylizing her the way he often did.

--------

Raven had a large appetite for such a skinny boy, and would often be found slinking around the cook house, with or without a voucher. If he didn't have a voucher he'd try to lift what he could off of other people's plates who weren't paying attention. In fact even when he did have a voucher he'd do this. Of course when you make a habit of stealing people start to notice and are always more prepared. "What a bother." Raven muttered under his breath, eyeing a slice of bacon sitting on someone's plate. The man paid Raven a frown which was enough to steer the boy in a different direction to search for easier pickings.

He made his way into the line eventually, trying to sneak a extra biscuit or two up his sleeve.

Rain wasn't an early riser. She opted to skip breakfast if it meant she could catch a few more z's. Pulling her thick duner over her head, Rain hoped the morning would pass slowly. She drifted between reality and the subconscious. Everyone knew not to disturb her in the early morning. Bundling herself up as tight as possible, Rain burrowed beneath her covers. In her small tent, Rain listened to the workers outside setting up. Nothing was out of the ordinary, so Rain just continued her sleep.

By the time she awoke, people were getting ready for the first show. Rain did the same, preparing her costume consisting of a modified flapper dress, a simple head piece, and her tightrope shoes. The first performance was high wire, so she had to warm up and get something to eat. Running over to the food tent, Rain picked up some leftovers from breakfast and quickly ate them. From there, she headed directly under the big top where the high wire was already set up. Still in her pajamas, Rain cautiously checked the rigging and hardware before retrieving her juggling equipment. For the most part, Rain felt comfortable with the rigging. She would check again before she went on, but for the most part things looked good.

Remembering her first audition for this troupe, Rain got into her costume and placed her equipment under a platform. Rain was 18 when she first arrived at the troupe. With one bag containing everything she owned, Rain wandered onto the grounds. Feeling somewhat out of place, Rain cautiously approached a worker and asked to talk to the ring leader. This specific circus had a reputation for being magical, in more ways than one, prompting Rain to seek them out. After her incident at her school, Rain needed a place to belong and the circus seemed to be the only place for her to go.

Now, Rain was fully dressed and ready for the first warm ups. In her costume, since people were starting to come, Rain went back to the big top and checked the wire again. This time she made some minor adjustments before taking her first steps of the day. Everything was good and the thrill of being on the wire rushed through her body. She smiled as she slowly took a seat and looked below. Everyone was moving and getting things set up, while Rain was casually sitting on the high wire. There wasn't any one else who walked the wire, but there was another acrobat who was pretty close to. Looking down, Rain called out, "Has anyone seen Raven? He needs to check the rigging for the trapeze and shit as well. I'm not doing his job for him." Her tone was rather playful and cheery despite her teasing Raven.

(@abalint it's still morning. Your post is great just realize it's going to be a bit before the rest of us catch up to the first show. )

Ilinca sighed contently. She knew she needed to get down there for breakfast now but didn't feel too hungry.
That's when she felt someone looking and she looked down. "I visa you vouldn't do zat" she said before climbing down from her tree.

Ili didn't have to fake her accent for her gypsy sideshow, she actually was from Romania and fairly fresh off the boat too. She knew English fairly well though.

--

AL noticed Raven pocketing extra food, but said notjong. He didn't really see the harm in it. He wasnt going to break the bank having a bit extra to eat. Looked like he needed it too.

Knarlrog hummed to himself. "It is nice to wish things." He said in his soft childish voice. His face turned away from her. "I hope you are prepared... I would be displeased with a mishap."

Raven brought his tray to the performers table munching a apple. He looked at Al a bit uneasily. "Uh... hey boss."

[Flashback]

Rain was sent home immediately after the 'incident'. From there she ignored her parents' concerns, packed a bag and took off. In the beginning she was afraid and scared, but that didn't stop her from moving forward. Afraid of being labeled as a freak and sent somewhere, Rain rushed to her closest friend. Maron was a friend who juggled with Rain and taught her tight wire. He immediately knew where to send her. With the mention of an 'odd' circus, Maron sent Rain to find this strange circus in hopes of escaping the already suspicious police.

Ilinca rolled her eyes and put her hands on her hips "Of course I'm prepared, it's my job" she reminded him, not that she should have to "As long as you stick to the routine this time we'll both be fine" she added seriously. "No new tricks right?" she frowned. Having to come up with ways to react and play off what he was doing wasn't always the easiest thing to do.

--

Al looked over at the thieving boy "Morning" he greeted. He was a perfectly pleasant person to talk to, though few ventured to do so unless they wanted something "Getting enough to eat?" he asked, raising a brow.

Knarlrog seemed complentative. "I do not think tonight calls for any special plans..." he said. "But you never know who will be there."

Raven looked away chastened. "Yeah..." he said awkwardly. While the charisma did work, Ravens suspicious nature didn't completely go away. "Tastes great boss." He said starting to wolf down his meal to avoid talking.

Rain's interest in the circus stemmed from her love for the unusual. Her first clear memory was that of a large spider crawling up a wall. Instead of feeling fear, Rain was fascinated by it. She watched the creature climb to the ceiling before her mother started screaming. At first, Rain didn't understand the innate fear her mother possessed towards these creatures. Only after years of living did she learn to act 'normal'.

"Who cares? They already paid, they get the show they get" ili said "can't please everyone, just ask frank" she continued then sighed, letting her hands fall to her sides "are you going to eat this morning?" She switched topic, the line at the cook house was going down now so she figured she best get there before they pulled the flag and closed up until lunch.

--

Al smiled pleasantly "glad you're finding everything to your liking" he said simply, he never quiet knew what to say to the performers, at least casually.

Frank plopped down into the seat across from Raven. His tray loaded with bacon and ham mostly "slow down or you might choke" he said to the younger boy.frank uncorked the ever present bottle. He never drank anything if it wasn't alchaholic.

Al paused and looked at Frank.

"I know, but what you gonna do hm?" Frank said before Al could even speak.

"Frank" Al said, frowning at the old man. Frank had more wrinkles than anyone Al had ever seen. The old man's eyes were saggy and somewhat shrunken back into his skull. Sure the man couldnt die and was as physically capable as amy young man, but he looked like he should have been in the grave years ago.

"There ain't nobody in here who's gonna tell, sushi up now and eat" Frank went on, knowing what Al was going to say before Al himself knew.

Frank was one of those that Al had no influence over, and frank knew it, he found pleasure in flustering the ring leader

Knarlrog's gaze turned back towards the outlining trees. "I think not." He said, he began to walk away from her.

Raven barely paused to look between the men as he ate. He paid Frank a food full smile, specks of egg on his chin, before turning away. However as they were conversing Raven tried snaking a hand towards a slice of bacon on Franks plate.

Ilinca shrugged and walked off towards the cook house. She wasn't as disturbed by the littlean as some, because she had to work with him every day, so she knew him a little better but notich really.

--

AL shifted and just turned back to his food, deciding it best to let Frank be. That and, what was the point of trying ?

Frank smacked his hand without even looking. He didn't have to, he knew it was coming. "Never steel bacon from an old man" he turned a meaningful eye on the boy, but cracked a smirk "in about ten minutes our resident gypsy will be joining us and she's going to drop her fork' Frank said, then took a swig of whatever concoction was in that bottle, usually something that would put anyone else out for hours.

Knarlrog fadded into the woods, without another word. He would of course appear again before his performance as you usually did.

Raven pulled his hand back quickly, making a face. "ooooh Spoooky!" He said sitting back and making mock hand gestures with his fingers. "Now you're just trying to show off old man."

Ilinca made her way to the cook house and was able to get in rather quickly since she had waited until the line was smaller.

"Suit yourself, she's rather fond of sassauges and bysicuits though" frank said, nodding to the line just as Ilinca stopped for the sausages.
Frank picked up some bacon and began to eat, watching ili as she got her food and then came towards them. "Mind if I sit here?" She asked as she set her tray down by Ravens. The fork slipped off and on to the floor and ili crouched to pick it up. Exactly 10 minutes from when frank said she would

Raven quirked a sneer at Frank, then slipped a few sausages into a napkin in his sleeve. Then quickly sat back innocently. "I guess you can sit here." He said somewhat cheerfully.

Ili stood and looked at her plate for a moment, frowned, glanced at Ravan and simply took a few sausages off his plate and put them on hers
She smiled and took a bysicuit too. "Interest" she sat down.

Frank cracked up but shoved the bottle in his mouth, grinning around it. The boy had played right into his hands

Raven scowled at him, then frowned at her. He folded his arms. "You'll pay for that." He said unhappily. But didn't attempt to take anything else from her right then. "You're gonna get fatter than you already are."

Ili scowled at him "you stole my food I only take vhat mine and some for ze trouble" she answered "your fault.to be a theif" she said and Sar down to eat "your insult mean nozing" she added, though self concisely smoothed a hand over the ribbons tying her corset around her waist. Tight as they always were, no gap.

Frank chuckled and sighed leaning back and munching more bacon

Raven snorted. "I'd lay off the sausage if I was you." He said paying her a toothy smile. "Otherwise you might have to replace the fat lady soon." His mood seemed to improve at her scowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.