Congratulations! It's a...

I keep a character alphabet!

I log which letters I've used for characters' first names, and if I can (where appropriate) I try to use a letter I haven't used yet, or one that doesn't have many characters logged.

My characters are geeeenerally pretty different, but they're also typically sort of cast from the same mold, so to speak. There are certain types of characters that I just simply enjoy playing, so my characters usually fall within those archetypes. That said, as I get to write them and know them more, they often end up developing on their own.

Reactions: Mami Tomoe
List plausible names for the relevant setting and nationality/species/social status of the character. Pick one based on preference. Change my mind. Do it all over again.

I differ quite a bit.

Sometimes a name just fits, but most times I use a generator.

Of course I make sure it makes sense for the character's culture, time period, and ethnicity as well.

I didn't know name generators were actually a thing until a couple of years back.

Finding names and creating them has always been an easy task for me. Then again, I've always been interested in names, since I was a child.

I like to come up with names on my own sometimes but I also look online for names in other languages and the meaning behind them. If I have an antagonist I'll look for something to fit.

Often times I try to base my characters names not just off of where they're from, but who they are as a person. A name can hold so many phonetic keys that when sounded out play like a musical melody in my mind, like a person's miniature theme song. A strong name with hard consonants for a warrior, a soft feminine roll for someone meek and kind, something that spills hard and guttural for someone with ill omens in their future.

Mostly I like to let them speak to me, and I will spend anywhere from minutes to days lamenting over a character's name, and how they present themselves through it. What sort of nuances I've got planned for their personality or back story.

Sometimes I admit though.................I'll keyboard smash then pick out the odd fitting bits like plucking at broken porcelain until it sounds just right, gluing it all together with an extra vowel or a token combination sound. XD;

Reactions: Kitti
I stick with names that fit with what their parents would call them, so I have to flesh out their parents a little before naming the baby. I also favor short names for ease. Though there was once I had a character with a super long name that could be abbreviated to A.N.N.A. I'm so clever.

If its a name that the character made for themselves, they tend to be something uncreative. "Well he's small and quiet, like a mouse...you're name is Mouse! 8D"

I used to just smush sounds together, but its always embarrassing when it turns out to be a word in another language. So if I do make up something on the fly, I do a quick search of it.

As for types of character, I try to vary it up, but I've also been told that my characters tend to be similar. Not sure what traits they saw me favoring though. Its been bugging me for awhile. ^^; Maybe snarky characters? I tend to make a lot of those.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well often i start by setting a parameter. That being the story's theme, genre and style.
Then after that i look for a name that i feel fits that character (like in real life i rarely meet people that don't have characteristics that fit their given name) After that i just pick something from a word or name i see around me.
Like for example the word Reply can be turned into Ripley. O_O and that is often how it goes

Oddly enough, character names come to me before the character, and sometimes even before the plot. A name will pop into my head, and a vague idea for an appearance, although there are times I'll find an image and the name will come to me then. Side characters and secondary main characters are usually when I struggle to find a name, and usually when I break out the generators.

I try to keep my names original and unique, but there are times I slip into the normal and just shrug it off. It all depends on the rp I'm using the character for really.

Reactions: Kitti
I'm ridiculously picky with names. I can up to an hour searching the web for a name that fits my character. Additionally, I never use "iconic" names, that tend to be associated with a specific character from a series, such as Lelouch, Izaya, etc...

I also don't use really common names that are heard a lot. I don't have anything against names like Michael, Brandon, etc. But I like going for uncommon names. That being said, if I'm working in a real life setting, then I won't give a Korean character a perfectly English name. And I tend to research what the name means to make sure that it fits the character.

I like to have names with meanings that fit the character.

As for type of character? I used to play the same character over and over. But I hate doing that now. Admittedly, I still need to work on diversifying my characters in terms of ethnicity, sexuality, etc. If I have a character who is from a country that I don't know too much about, then I always research.

I pick names that point to the character's ethnicities. I also make sure the name (first and otherwise), is not a letter I haven't used before. An example being, if I already have a character with the last name Anderson, I'm not gonna go ahead and have my next character's last name be Abbott. I'd rather have their last name be in a different letter to try and diversify as much as I can. It's boring having last names, first names, and otherwise, with the same letter over and over again.