Common Words you Don't Like Using

Status
Not open for further replies.
Studies have found that those who swear a lot have better vocabularies than those who don't. Here's one example, with the great Stephen Fry at the end.

Umm....I find that hard to believe. Especially, since most compulsive swearers I come across (some I know quite well) have terrible English skills despite the fact that they've lived in this country all their lives. I should also add that the young people I'm going to college with right now have the spelling skills of 3rd graders.... And when I was in high school I would say a word like "analytical" and suddenly to them I'm talking like a college professor :-/ I'd love to know who exactly these scientists did their study on. It seems like these subjects are all educated people.....

Coming back to this thread:

flame-war.gif

Umm....I find that hard to believe. Especially, since most compulsive swearers I come across (some I know quite well) have terrible English skills despite the fact that they've lived in this country all their lives. I should also add that the young people I'm going to college with right now have the spelling skills of 3rd graders.... And when I was in high school I would say a word like "analytical" and suddenly to them I'm talking like a college professor :-/ I'd love to know who exactly these scientists did their study on. It seems like these subjects are all educated people.....
There's likely people on both sides of the spectrum, but the point was that swearing doesn't equal a small vocabulary and some kind of imagined handicap. The study was done to deconstruct that myth. It costs to read the entire paper they published, but if they've written it properly they will have clarified what kind of individuals they did their research on.

Let's not derail the thread and stay on topic and talk about normal, everyday words that you mysteriously don't like.

Words that are pronounced one way in the language that they come from and typically another way in English make me eh to say.

Should I say it how it should be said and people will think I'm pretentious?
How it's normally said, and people that know better think I'm uncultured?

Halp???

Halp???
This happens to me very often, especially with words from French, Urdu and Arabic that come naturally to me. As a thumb rule though, I usually try to pronounce things as how they will be in the language they come from. Even if that makes people think I'm uppity. :'D

In reference to your earlier post on the word 'hate', I grew up with a mom who really disliked that word, so much so that she'd frown at us for using it. "Hate is a strong word," she'd say. We would be reduced to saying "I immensely dislike..." :'D

((Here is a thread for vulgarities and offensive language, please stop derailing this one. Thanks.))

Halp???
Say it the way which is most comfortable for you. There are multiple words with different pronunciations: Like potato, and tomato, and so on. So long as people understand what you're attempting to convey, that is all that matters.

Words I'm sick of:

Illuminati - Cmon are they really the cause of every single thing you come across???

Real (As in "I'm real") - If you were truly "real" you wouldn't have to announce that on every social media page and to every single person (especially females) you come across.....

I'm sure there are more words I dislike, but I'm too sleepy to remember them. Lol. Maybe I will pop back in and add them.....

Oh and btw @Darog your title under your username is hella awesome 8D
Yep. Amongst African-American males where I live. Lol
As a Black guy, I would like to apologize for the real thing XD. None of my friends have ever said that so those guys you know are idiots XD lol, let them say that around my friends... won't be real for too long XD

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
I don't like swearing.

Like really, swearing. It's such an odd phenomenon.
When you swear loyalty to someone, shouldn't that technically be "I fuck to you _______"?

If someone yells at me "Don't swear!" what is that supposed to mean? Don't use vulgar language? Don't show acts of loyalty?
How am I to know?

• Thank You
Reactions: Greenie
A word I disliked for the longest time was "bagel" because I pronounced it "bah-gel" instead of "bay-gel." Everyone liked to call me out on it every time and made fun of me.

• Love
Studies have found that those who swear a lot have better vocabularies than those who don't. Here's one example, with the great Stephen Fry at the end. I love languages in general, and I have a degree in linguistics, so it's a bit silly to me to not use certain words. I'm more annoyed when I use the same words too close together to each other. I've rewritten whole paragraphs because of that reason alone.
By God, this post is my life. I often rewrite paragraphs for the very same reason also.

Reactions: napstablook
Sorry to double post!

I think it's closer to the idea that people who are more intelligent are more likely to swear often than it is that people who swear frequently are more likely to be more intelligent. If that makes sense. I think it makes sense? I do know that I have an incredibly vast vocabulary and my tendency to swear all the time is nigh unstoppable. In real life, that is. Online, I'm far more reserved.

EDIT: I believe, after rereading this post following its submission, that my use of the word 'intelligent' should probably be replaced with the word 'literate'.

• Thank You
Sorry to double post!

I think it's closer to the idea that people who are more intelligent are more likely to swear often than it is that people who swear frequently are more likely to be more intelligent. If that makes sense. I think it makes sense? I do know that I have an incredibly vast vocabulary and my tendency to swear all the time is nigh unstoppable. In real life, that is. Online, I'm far more reserved.

EDIT: I believe, after rereading this post following its submission, that my use of the word 'intelligent' should probably be replaced with the word 'literate'.

Nah, I still don't get it 8D But thanks for trying to explain~

And also: Don't say that word! Diana will come in and throw rocks at you! D: *ducks and cover*

Baby, Baby girl, boo... Other words that relate to that kind of talk. Lol I'm so rigid if I'm dating someone I'm like yeah... Can you please use my name instead?
my mom calls me baby girl, so yes, this would definitely be off limits in a relationship for me
This one thousand times.

I care not for being compared to something that's primary method of communication is screaming, cannot take care of itself, and involuntarily poops itself.

It's just not flattering.
I find the term 'baby' as a nickname so estranging, because it does even remotely portray your relationship with that person. Like don't get me wrong, I'm guilty of using vague and unspecific nicknames like, well frankly, love. But at the very least that's calling a basketball a ball instead of calling said basketball a tennis ball. It's kind of weird and feels so impersonal, which is why I dislike using it, I suppose.

Another word is Beta. First off because fucking nobody knows how to pronounce it, so I always have to spell it out, but also because if a discussion will dwindle down to the internet definition of beta male one more time when I mention "Nah, it's still in beta." I will violently murder whatever fuck tries to eulogise their selves over the latest shit they saw on 9gag.

Okay so that was only once or twice but fuck that end-of-the-centipede trash which made me despise the word.

I thought you'd all get a chuckle from this. :P

14355617_758293600988275_4716146362270221604_n.jpg

@Gwazi Magnum
it did get a chuckle out of me
a singular chuckle

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Status
Not open for further replies.