Common Words you Don't Like Using

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm... Honestly, I don't feel that a person is expression challenged just because they choose to curse at times. I have a friend who is rather potty mouthed, but when she writes for roleplays or any other work, she has all the words.

It's a person's choice is all, in my humble opinion.
I'm probably going to be bitten by interjecting in here. But Poe is in a leadership position in the military and they are trying RIDICULOUSLY HARD to really get cussing out of the military (especially leadership positions). In doing so, they come up with so many different classes/seminars/etc about reasons why cussing is bad and while personally I don't agree with most of them (I do think cussing is a leadership isn't a good thing, but not for the reasons they give) I wouldn't fault Poe for having the same opinion as the military. Whether that opinion be from his own accord or from drinking the kool-aid so to speak.

I think there's a continuum. If you're constantly using swear words then you can be a bit expressionally-stunted. But if you're just using one or two words in proper context it doesn't really signify anything. That being said, I have a certain fondness for cussing in the military because only there can you come up with some truly creative insults that just would not be possible in any other environment. In this case I think it goes full-circle and, depending on context, your full-sentence of just cussing can go from "emotionally stunted" to "displays a level of creativity I never thought possible, and I'm a little impressed right now."

EDIT TO ADD:
To make myself more clear, someone who is not proficient in English would not be able to express themselves very well since their vocabulary is not very large. We can call this person expressionally challenged without necessarily looking down on them. They might be intelligent, but they are unable to express that in this specific form.

Edit2:
In retrospect, I should've stayed out of this (despite nothing bad coming from this post). Augh. Oh well.

Last edited:
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Poe Dameron
I'm probably going to be bitten by interjecting in here. But Poe is in a leadership position in the military and they are trying RIDICULOUSLY HARD to really get cussing out of the military (especially leadership positions). In doing so, they come up with so many different classes/seminars/etc about reasons why cussing is bad and while personally I don't agree with most of them (I do think cussing is a leadership isn't a good thing, but not for the reasons they give) I wouldn't fault Poe for having the same opinion as the military. Whether that opinion be from his own accord or from drinking the kool-aid so to speak.

I think there's a continuum. If you're constantly using swear words then you can be a bit expressionally-stunted. But if you're just using one or two words in proper context it doesn't really signify anything. That being said, I have a certain fondness for cussing in the military because only there can you come up with some truly creative insults that just would not be possible in any other environment. In this case I think it goes full-circle and, depending on context, your full-sentence of just cussing can go from "emotionally stunted" to "displays a level of creativity I never thought possible, and I'm a little impressed right now."

First day of basic training, the quartermaster in charge of the supply and weapon stores blew off 26 f-bombs in the span of 3 minutes of me showing up at the armoury.

I learned a lot of colourful language over the next 4 months of training, that's for sure.

@Dervish

Me too, that doesn't change that the military as the organization is still trying to cut it down. =)

Which country, might I ask?

Here in Canada, if you're a part of a regiment, it kind of shatters the whole polite stereotype we have going on.
US Navy.

Most people I interacted with thought the no cussing thing was BS. It's very much a part of the culture. But there were still efforts to put an end to it. I only got up to E4 before I got out so only had one leadership class (that doesn't really amount to anything, honestly) but even then they really tried to say effective leaders don't cuss. Poe's an officer and I'd imagine they get more of that, since they're groomed as leaders from the beginning.

First day of basic training, the quartermaster in charge of the supply and weapon stores blew off 26 f-bombs in the span of 3 minutes of me showing up at the armoury.

I learned a lot of colourful language over the next 4 months of training, that's for sure.
My dad told me the same thing some days ago. :bsmile:

That's okay. I don't think much of polygamists, either, so it's not like I would even want your approval. I mainly just wanted to hear you state out loud that you look down on basically everyone here to firmly cemement your reputation.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a bitching soapstone carving that needs finishing.
Well you commented on my opinion to begin with, while I could not care less about yours.

The original post hand-waved swearing anyway!
We're talking about normal words! Like moist!

I'm actually a bit curious about why moist somehow ended up with all the weirdness over it. I have a suspicion that I haven't bothered to look into that someone popular probably mentioned not liking it and lots of people agreed and lots more people agreed because so many people agreed and now... poor moist. The Nickleback of words, or something like that.

At any rate, I feel so weird using the word "hate" about things. Using it as a noun is all right and all but actually saying "I hate..." is something you will probably never hear me say. If it comes to mind to say it, I usually have to have some deep personal crisis exploring why I would feel so strongly about something, whether that amount of negativity is even worth whatever it is, etc.

The answer is almost always "why did I just spend three minutes thinking about the word hate, what is wrong with me" and moving on.

• Love
Reactions: Greenie
I'm actually a bit curious about why moist somehow ended up with all the weirdness over it.
I thought being used to describe a woman's state of arousal would end up doing that with or without any celebrity mentioning that.

Yeah, the use of beta is just a giant face palm session. It pairs well with that stupid "cuck" shit people throw around now. Either of those words used as a derogatory remark instantly tells me everything I need to know about the speaker.
I don't regularly hear the word cuck to be honest, but that may have to do with not living in an English speaking country. Google tells me it means sexually inept as an insult, which I guess sort of makes sense as an insult because of it's original meaning. I'm gonna assume it's the same thing to white knight as cunt is to bitch.

Beta as an insult simply doesn't make sense because doesn't even relate to the word's actual meaning. For starters the insult suggests it's 'good' counter part is alpha, but the two ways you could define that are 'leader of the pack' of which there is one per pack which doesn't make sense in terms of social structure and suggests most people are apparently fucking losers including the person uttering the insult, the other way you could define alpha is as in 'fully developed,' meaning beta isn't fully developed, which kind of rids it of it's insult status because it recognises potential.

In general though, what bothered me in specific is the tirade of "Look at how good I am, not because of my accomplishments, but because of the failures of another."

I'm actually a bit curious about why moist somehow ended up with all the weirdness over it. I have a suspicion that I haven't bothered to look into that someone popular probably mentioned not liking it and lots of people agreed and lots more people agreed because so many people agreed and now... poor moist. The Nickleback of words, or something like that.
I agree with this
I used to hate the word moist too. Then I trained myself to associate it with cake. Now I like the word moist.

I'm surprised I forgot to mention Privilege.

That words been butchered to all hell making still more than a way for people to justify sexism, racism, classism, heterophobia etc. and pretend that it's some how under the name of equality.
Seriously, anyone who actually using the word Privilege in it's butchered and hateful definition needs to take a long hard look at themselves, and also listen to a few words:

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
The original post hand-waved swearing anyway!
We're talking about normal words! Like moist!

At any rate, I feel so weird using the word "hate" about things. Using it as a noun is all right and all but actually saying "I hate..." is something you will probably never hear me say. If it comes to mind to say it, I usually have to have some deep personal crisis exploring why I would feel so strongly about something, whether that amount of negativity is even worth whatever it is, etc.

The answer is almost always "why did I just spend three minutes thinking about the word hate, what is wrong with me" and moving on.

It's just so awkward when it rolls off the tongue. Moist. It just... feels uncomfortable and has a dirty connotation to it.

I also hate using words such as "retatded" or "gay" when trying to explain something that someone thinks is idiotic. It's just so disrespectful.

Moist doesn't really bother me that much actually. But I never use it anyway so.... 8D

Also, the people who butchered the word Privilege only feel the way they do because they've never earned any privileges before. They need to remember that these "privileges" they speak of were not obtained because the "privileged" checked a few boxes on a form before conception.

- quoted by AwakenLove, the quiet girl who was always hated on by her elementary school classmates for having privileges >.>

"Very"

It's a crutch word when I want to be lazy instead of flexing my brain and finding something more linguistically savvy. The word has little meaning beyond "more" and it seems overtly childish to me to use it.

Like, what the fuck does "very pretty" even really mean? That something is somehow prettier pretty? Does that mean I should stack them for maximum effect? Like "very very" or "very very very" or "very very very very very very very..." You get the point.

This is why English has numerous words with similar intentions. Instead of "very pretty" say "beautiful." Instead of "very big" say "gargantuan." Instead of "very fast" say "expedient." The word "very" is meant for children who don't have a good grasp of the language, it's not meant for properly educated adults.
The word "very" is actually just one of those English words which seems like a basic filler word but actually has meaning. It actually comes from the Latin word "verus", which means "true", and has the same roots as "verification" - to verify is to give proof, to prove true, usually of a person's identity or opinion. The word "very" should mean "truly". To call someone very beautiful should mean they are truly beautiful, it's supposed to show either honesty or verification of the speaker's opinion. Of course, over time, the word has been used so much that nobody really thinks about its original meaning, and has now come to simply give emphasis to a word and seems like an incredibly bland or lazy word, which isn't helped by the fact that it is always used sarcastically too, but it is one of the more honest words of the English language in my opinion.

The word I hate the most is "faggot". It is such a disgusting, vile word, and anyone who uses it instantly disgusts me. If I were to have a partner who used this word in a serious context, I would seriously consider ending the relationship. My second cousin once visited my house and called one of my first cousins a faggot and I slapped him right there and then. We haven't spoken since. I do feel bad, it was impulsive, but I stand by my actions. I can slightly tolerate the usage of the word amongst people who are close friends and use it jokingly, or even lovingly (if that's even possible) - for example I am friends with a gay couple and one of them call the other a faggot as a joke now and again - but I still cringe when I hear it. The only time I will use the word is when I'm stating how much I hate it, like now, or when I'm playing a character in a roleplay to whom usage of that word is realistic / believable.

• Love
Reactions: 2 people
I'm more annoyed when I use the same words too close together to each other. I've rewritten whole paragraphs because of that reason alone.
I can relate! :bsmile:

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.