Coming Soon to a Theatre Near You

Which movie do you want to see the most?

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Ponyo

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • District 9

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Inglorious Bastards

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
T

TheNeverThere

Original poster
Here is a place to talk about the upcoming movies that you plan on seeing, or are at the very least interested in.

To start us off, I plan on seeing 9, the latest movie directed by Tim Burton. With it's post-apocalyptic setting, stunning CGI, and amazing story, this is the must-see film of the year.

[align=center]
[GLOW="green"]9[/GLOW]
[/align]

PONYO!

I watched it yesterday.... I WISH I WERE A FISH!!

How was it? I'm thinking of going once I get some cash.

The Re-Do of Alice in Wonderland! Coming in the summer of 2010. Directed by Tim Burton, and starring the Mad Hatter, Johnny Depp.

Ponyo was good! Well, it was very random and disjointed and WTF in true blue Miyazaki style... but very wonderful! I think this review is spot-on:

All the Enthusiasm of Finger Paints, <small>27 July 2008</small>
<small>Author:</small> tinulthin <small>from Japan</small>
Gake no Ue no Ponyo is like something you might get if you mashed My Neighbour Totoro into The Little Mermaid, then put the entire project in the hands of a five-year-old animation prodigy. The film is simultaneously stunning in its beauty and endearing in its simplicity, unrestrained enthusiasm walking the edge between inspired brilliance and mind-addling delirium.

In the opening sequences, literally thousands of individually animated fish swirl across the screen—a task Western animators wouldn't touch without a room full of computers. And yet the film's omnipresent water is defined by hard lines that seem to have been drawn in with crayons and coloured by pastels. In style and content, this is clearly a children's fantasy, and yet it isn't.

Remarkably, Miyazaki has yet again achieved what he created in Totoro: a film that draws the viewer indelibly into the world of children, reminding us of the time when every discovery was unique, every possession precious, and the agony of loss crouched behind every well-meaning mistake. Perhaps this is why the film has appealed more to adults than to children in Japan: children still live in this world. They need no such reminders.

Sousuke, a five-year-old who retrieves the eponymous Ponyo from the ocean, is not another Pinocchio-like screen caricature. He is a real boy. He is intelligent yet careless, deeply conscientious but distracted by impulse. He grounds us in a world that wavers between the real and the surreal.

Wide-eyed wizard Fujimoto, voiced with narcoleptic mania by comedian Tokoro Joji, is by far the most rational of the film's fantastical creations. He's an oddball, but he makes sense. But when waves begin to lap at the doorstep to Sousuke's hilltop home and the townsfolk jovially pile into rowboats to scud over a swollen sea of prehistoric fish, we begin to wonder whether this is the real world or some beatific daydream. Miyazaki draws no clear distinction.

Gake no Ue no Ponyo is a children's love story, driven with monomaniacal ferocity by Ponyo and Sousuke's pure mutual affection. Composer Joe Hisaishi underscores this intensity, calling up mighty swells of strings to accompany Ponyo's first ascent to the surface, and later evoking Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries in a stunning sequence where Ponyo chases down a speeding car while running atop a cascading tsunami of gigantic fish.

While the film loses much of its energy—though none of its eccentricity—in the final act, Miyazaki has nonetheless succeeded in creating yet another modern fairy tale. It is a simple, pure vision, guilelessly washed across with a devoted kindergartener's finger paints.
[From IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0876563/usercomments]

Last two movies I've seen were Inglorious Basterds and District 9.

Inglorious Basterds is a delectably twisted comedy, despite the serious nature of WW II. Brad Pitt needs to do more comedy in my opinion. In true Tarantino style, Basterds is done in chapters, the whole story told from several viewpoints and culminating in a firery end punctuated by gunfire and screams, with a sadistic moment shared between Pitt and Christoph Waltz. It's not completely gory but just enough.

As for District 9, I rather liked how they swapped between documentary style and sci-fi action. It plays upon the prejudices against that which we do not understand, mixing in references to Apartheid South Africa with the prospect of First Contact with an alien race. The prejudice towards the 'Prawns' as they are called is very apparent when you hear how the MNU agents refer to the residents of District 9, especially MNU's First Battalion, their special operations force. Some may be grossed out by the Prawn in general.

I should probably mention I had calamari before I saw this movie, so all I could think of was shrimp poppers and po' boy sandwiches.

Any who, D-9 related images...
Cangohometime.png

drzoidberg.jpg

Next up: 9

Damn thats scary. I wont be able to see him the same way again. He was all cute and pink.. Must be all those Popplers he ate..

Watched G.I. Joe. Looked fake, failed to pump my adrenaline.

Plan on watching: District 9, 9, Astro Boy, and PAWNYO

Being a bit a of a Cineophile there is a a lot new movies I am looking forward to coming out; Kick Ass(TRAILERS LOOKS FUCKING AWESOME), Survival of the Dead(Romeo is starting to slip past his prime, but his zombie flicks are much more interesting than lot of the other zombie stuff out there), Expendables(IT'S LIKE THEY TOOK EVERY FUCKING 80'S ACTION STAR AND THREW THEM INTO A MOVIE. LOOK FUCKING BOSS.), Ninja(That dude from Full House((No, the korean one, not the ones with the twins)) as a Ninja? INTERESTING), and Sword with No Name(I love me some historical melodrama!)

9, Inglorious Basterds, Alice in Wonderland. Been told not to see GI Joe, probably will still rent, though.

Ok, I'm gonna put up a poll to see which movie of three is most aniticipated. Maybe we can even get a small blurb in the newletter. I'll change the poll every about two weeks, with the previous winner staying, provided it hasn't come out in theatres yet. THe first poll will be an exception, though, as I will include Ponyo.

PS: And now I've just realized that I can't add a poll...Hmm...must talk to Diana to see if something can be done...

PPS: Aaand I just solved my own problem. False alarm, Di. Anyways, I know I said I'd choose 3, but IB and D9 were both mentioned an equal amount of times, at least by my count. Anyways, let the voting begin! *a boxing match bell dings*

I saw District 9 - awesome. First half had me on the edge of my seat and the second half had me cheering all the way through. Can't wait until it comes out on DVD. I am so buying it.

I am anticipating Tim Burton's '9'. I really do love his works. And Alice in Wonderland too.

I heard Inglorious Basterds was a really good movie. Good dialogue and entertaining too. I'm also looking forward to Avatar: The Last Airbender and also Avatar. And 2012. I saw the trailer to Surrogate while watching District 9... seems okay... though it reminds me of another movie that I can't remember the title of...

The Last Airbender!!! <33 I want to see it so bad.... Ack... *sits and waits a whole year...*

I wonder how Last Airbender will do. After all, it's based off a cartoon, and being directed by M. Knight Shamalan, who generally does suspense/horror movies.

It's gonna be terrible, of this I have little doubt.

Mind you, I didn't like the cartoons, anyways....

AVATAR... the one with the blue people and mechs...