Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. One post per week
  3. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
Monday and Wendsday after 3, Thursdays before 3:30, All day Tuesday and Friday-Sunday, unless otherwise noted
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Horror, Fantasy, Modren, Romance, Magical
Howdy wonderful roleplayers! So I have been thinking about coming out as agnostic (unsure about a God) to my family. I don't have problems with any religious person here, since I don't know you well enough personally to have a chip on my shoulder about you. While I still believe in some version of an afterlife, I'm unsure about a God. I've only told a few strangers on a Discord server and another forum, but never told anyone I knew personally. I'm going to talk this over with my Therapist to get some advice from her tomorrow and I only hope for the best. Any advice on what to do until I decide to come out to people I know?

Try talking to w friend about it first. It might be easier starting with them. By the way, may i suggest looking into Satanism?

Thanks for the offer, but if I do decide to go back to religion, I might choose Wicca over my old faith (Lutheran), I'll wait until the time comes though.

I don't see a reason to bring it up.

Personal beliefs are supposed to be just that; personal. Why create a rift with one's family over it when the whole point is to calm one's soul with answers that are not readily available?

Leave 'well enough' alone. Keep your mind and heart open but don't worry too much about it. From my experience, faith finds you. If it hasn't found you yet, then just continue your day as normal and live a healthy, happy life.

Also, few things are as annoying as people who attach themselves to a faith with the zeal of a tourist convert. Consider your study of a new faith to be just that; study. If something compels you to spread its word as if entry into Nirvana is based on commissions then just stay away from it. Consider this some practical advice.

Best of luck.

I was taught this: Two things you never bring up in polite conversation: politics and religion.

They don't need to know, no one needs to know. If you wanna do it, do it! If someone asks, tell them but I have happily lived my life without telling my parents my religious views and I would never because it's drama.

Howdy wonderful roleplayers! So I have been thinking about coming out as agnostic (unsure about a God) to my family. I don't have problems with any religious person here, since I don't know you well enough personally to have a chip on my shoulder about you. While I still believe in some version of an afterlife, I'm unsure about a God. I've only told a few strangers on a Discord server and another forum, but never told anyone I knew personally. I'm going to talk this over with my Therapist to get some advice from her tomorrow and I only hope for the best. Any advice on what to do until I decide to come out to people I know?
Believing in an afterlife, and this is just an assumption but some kind of higher power would make one agnostic and not atheist. In the end, it shouldn't matter whether you are Christian, Jewish, Muslim, etc. A person is not defined by their religion, but by the actions they take. The best quote I have ever heard about religion came from a comedy movie, Dogma which kind of puts it in better words than I can.

'I think it's better to have ideas. You can change an idea, changing a belief is trickier. Life should be malleable and progressive; working from idea to idea permits that. Beliefs anchor you to certain points and limit growth; new ideas can't generate. Life becomes stagnant.'

- Rufus (Chris Rock)
In the end, your family should not judge you based upon your own personal beliefs, or lack thereof. I do understand that there are people who put their faith before all else, which makes things hard, but in the end that is what locks someone into their mindset. They lose the ability to adapt and overcome situations at hand. And again, I am assuming, but a true Christian accepts all with love and compassion, as Jesus stated many times throughout the bible. In the end, it comes down to the person, how they are as human beings and not as relatives. What makes you happy, what makes you you, and what you truly believe should always come before what others think of you.

Sorry, I know that was long, drawn out, and probably not helpful at all...

Believing in an afterlife, and this is just an assumption but some kind of higher power would make one agnostic and not atheist. In the end, it shouldn't matter whether you are Christian, Jewish, Muslim, etc. A person is not defined by their religion, but by the actions they take. The best quote I have ever heard about religion came from a comedy movie, Dogma which kind of puts it in better words than I can.

'I think it's better to have ideas. You can change an idea, changing a belief is trickier. Life should be malleable and progressive; working from idea to idea permits that. Beliefs anchor you to certain points and limit growth; new ideas can't generate. Life becomes stagnant.'

- Rufus (Chris Rock)
In the end, your family should not judge you based upon your own personal beliefs, or lack thereof. I do understand that there are people who put their faith before all else, which makes things hard, but in the end that is what locks someone into their mindset. They lose the ability to adapt and overcome situations at hand. And again, I am assuming, but a true Christian accepts all with love and compassion, as Jesus stated many times throughout the bible. In the end, it comes down to the person, how they are as human beings and not as relatives. What makes you happy, what makes you you, and what you truly believe should always come before what others think of you.

Sorry, I know that was long, drawn out, and probably not helpful at all...

Thanks for the advice. I've been meaning to talk about it for a while now, but having Asperger's and some form of anxiety, I have what I would like to say in my head, but I can't get the words out of my mouth. That's why I was going to talk to my therapist first, since I don't have to worry about losing anything.

Best of wishes,

Angel

Reactions: XycloneKiller