[ coming of age || lxngdon x DreamUponAStar ]

L

lxngdon

Original poster

•༶ kyneton high school ༶•

•༶♛ bradley lettinger ♛༶•

anigif_sub-buzz-3827-1530264125-1.gif

colour ref: #D14841

Spring. It hailed the return of grass and flowers, the embellishment of the deciduous trees, and for the senior students of Kyneton High School, it meant that graduation was looming over the horizon. Well, it was two months away. But when one's graduation is consistently portrayed, throughout their entire school career, as one of the most important moments of a person's life, Bradley Lettinger had been conditioned to anticipate that day with a mixture of excitement and fear. He was excited to leave this small town and see what the rest of the world had to offer. But there was something bittersweet about that excitement, because he was also on the verge of leaving behind everything he had ever known.
When some of the previous year's seniors had returned to Kyneton High to give the current graduation class a pep talk on exams, Bradley had been able to catch up with some of his older ex-football teammates. It was there that Bradley had learned of the coming-of-age tradition that the class of 1984 wished to leave in their wake. He had already presented the idea to his sort-of girlfriend, Nicole, but now, he was trying to convince Nicole's friend, Joanna, to come along too. He did not want Nicole to be bored, and if he was being completely honest, he would feel safer in the haunted mansion on the outskirts of town with a larger group of people.
"Oh, come on, it will be fun, I promise," he pleaded with Joanna. The three were seated in the back of the cafeteria, with the large glass windows behind them. Outside, the sun was baking the dirt that peeked through the grass on the quad. The world was still recovering from winter, and it was chilly as a result. But there was something about the Nebraskan countryside that seemed like home to Bradley -- he would miss it when he left for college.
Joanna quirked an eyebrow in disbelief. "Really? Because you're making it sound as horrible as you can."
"Hey, I am not! It's not actually haunted, Joanna, that's just a myth. The most there'll be is some spiders or dust or something like that."
"First of all," said Joanna indignantly, "spiders and dust aren't exactly positive things in my mind either. But regardless of that, I just don't know why you'd want to spend a night in a haunted house."

゚*♡ joanna bradshaw ♡*゚

giphy.gif

colour ref: #ad6a36

Joanna was pretty sure that every single senior in the class of 1985 was looking forward to graduation, but she was certain that no other student was as desperate to leave this town as she was. To Joanna, graduation did not only mean closing a chapter of her life and moving onto the bigger and better things the world had to offer her, but it was also an opportunity for her to finally escape the hellish torture chamber that was her parents' house. Joanna was working hard to cement the best grades she could possibly acquire, in order to increase her chances of receiving a scholarship for college. She had been saving every penny she could scrape for years, but a scholarship would help her indefinitely in her quest to settle somewhere else.
But the prospect of leaving her parents in a few months was not enough to shake the years of conditioning that had trained her to be on her best behaviour. Truly, she could not understand why Bradley wanted to spend the night in that cursed old mansion. She had heard the rumours and the folk tales about it, just like everyone else who had spent more than twenty minutes in Kyneton. And that was exactly why she wanted to stay away. Her parents would crucify her if they even had an inkling that she had been anywhere near that house.
"Because it's a coming of age thing! It's meant to represent the closing chapter of our high school years, the putting away of childish fears -- or something like that." Joanna knew Bradley did not understand the true symbolism behind the proposed expedition -- he was a sweet boy, but symbolism was often lost on him. "I swear to you, nothing will happen, and you'll have fun."
Joanna shook her head stubbornly. She did not like breaking rules and she certainly did not like engaging in silly activities that would earn her a week of scrubbing the floors in exchange for only a few hours of mild fun. Bradley sighed, seeming truly disparaged that Joanna was not interested in his proposed idea. He turned to Nicole, puppy-dog eyes pleading. "Nic, can you please try to convince your friend to come? Seriously, she'll be missing out if she doesn't."

° 𐐪𐑂 ♡ april armytage ♡ 𐐪𐑂 °

tumblr_n2vk1aabv81ttx0y9o1_500.gif

colour ref: #F7DA64

"Bradley from the football team is going to the mansion near the race track, because the seniors last year did. We should all go as well."
It was not uncommon for such a strange, seemingly random sentence to leave the mouth of April Armytage -- even when the previous topic of conversation had been the English final that was coming up in a few weeks. Honestly, April was such a strange person that she seldom surprised the people who knew her anymore. To experience random comments and seemingly mysterious actions was part of the territory that came with being her friend.
April often ate lunch on the edge of the football field. It was quiet out there during the break, and it allowed her to sit on her favourite log at the edge of the woods and to look up at the sky while she ate her food. Today, her lunch consisted of a container of diced watermelon and mango, drizzled in honey and sprinkled with crushed walnuts. But she was not eating at that moment -- instead, she was tiptoeing along the white line that marked the boundary of the football field, placing her feet with such precision, and swaying so beautifully to an imaginary tune, that she looked like a ballerina.
She was in the company of her friends, Michael and Jonathan, whom she cared for very dearly and whom she would love to experience the haunted house with. "I can bring marshmallows, we can toast them over a candle. I used to do that with my parents when we got them in the shipment up in Iceland."
April began to teeter, but she leaned forward and directed her body through a perfectly executed cartwheel that left her crimped ponytail covering her small face. She giggled and reached up to push her hair out of the way, and was greeted with the sight of her friends when she did so. "So when should I pick you up? I can borrow my dad's car."

CODING BY LXNGDON

Last edited by a moderator:
NICOLE WILSON​

Two months until graduation. Two months until final exams, a summer filled with swimming, final goodbyes, graduation parties, packing, and leaving Kyneton High. That was what the majority of the class of 1985 was looking forward to. Nicole, however, was not. What she was looking forward to was prom. The dresses, the crown, the perfect guy whose arm she would be on. If the man would ever take the hint that was and ask her. He had asked her to go to the haunted house with him. She thought that was going to be just the two of them, a chance to get closer, for her to pretend to be frightened and cling to him, but now they were asking Joanna. She didn't mind Joanna coming, not after hearing that he had asked April to go too. Was this boy ever going to ask her to prom?

Her attention focused on Joanna as she listened to her and Bradley go back and forth about the house and then seeing the puppy-dog eyes she just melted a little. He was just so precious! She turned her sweetest smile on Joanna. "Jo, you know that it would be a night away from home." She said sweetly. "I will even be the one to ask your parents so you don't have to say a single thing about it that would be a lie and you can come back to my house in the morning so technically, you will have stayed with me and been at my house for it."

Spinning her charm bracelet around her wrist she absently fingered the cross charm that she'd been given on her quinceanera as she thought about the best way to convince Joanna to come along as well. She knew that Joanna was looking forward to going to college, and she also knew that Joanna was someone who never really broke the rules.

"This is something that's done for all of us, Jo. It's not meant to throw in our parent's faces or to disobey them. It's meant... " Nicole trailed off for a moment, thinking of how to phrase it. "It's meant to show that we're ready to make our decisions. Like deciding where to go to college, deciding who we will spend our time with, deciding who we want to be. Going there gives us the chance to think outside of our parents influence. No one really gets that anywhere else, no matter what you think. At work, you're saving money for your choices, sure but you couldn't get a bank account without your parents permission and their name is on it so they have control of it. At school, that's not determined by us. At church? That's also not somewhere we're able to make our own choices with our parents in our ear. But at the house? We'll just be us."

Nicole gave her a charming smile. "And you can make sure I stay out of trouble."

JONATHAN PETERSON​

Jonathan looked up from the notebook he was writing in the moment he heard April's sentences and wondered if he'd mis heard her but as she talked about roasting marshmallows over a candle he realized that no, he most definitely did not mistake what she'd said. "The decrepit mansion that looks ready to cave?" He asked, his voice trembling slightly. "We would end up cutting ourselves on something and getting tetanus or finding rabid dogs or bats and getting rabies and I don't know about you but I do not want to get thirty shots in my stomach to prevent against rabies, and there are so many things that could go wrong. Like what if we fell through the floo--"

"Now you've got him started." Michael snorted, turning his head to look over at April as she did a cartwheel.

Jonathan looked over at the man who was lying on the ground. "It's true! That could all very well happen, Michael!"

"I'm sure it could, Jonathan, but she's going to go anyway. Do you really want her to go without you? The future surgeon to take care of any of the injuries?"

The blonde's eyes widened slightly and his mouth opened and then closed. That was true. He had first aid and CPR training from helping out at the hospital so much with his father. Would anyone else think to bring a first aid kit? Probably not. He'd spent some time with Bradley and tutored him, he was a friendly guy unlike most of the other jocks but he wouldn't think about first aid kits. He wasn't sure any of the others would think about blankets even or matches in case it got cold. What about flashlights, food, and necessities? No, he should probably go to make sure his friends would be okay.

"Alright, what time are we meeting them?"

MICHAEL TOWNSEND​

Moving from a prone position to a sitting one, Michael looked at his two friends. It was rare to be able to call people that for him. He didn't consider many to be friends but these two, he did. Which meant that there was no way in hell he was going to trust these two alone in a haunted house with a jock and whoever else the man brought along with him. Jonathan alone could get teased and he wasn't going to allow for that. Most people tended to not know what to do with April, but she was a sweetheart. An odd one, that's for damn sure, but a sweetheart.

Which meant he was going to be going to this haunted house tonight.

He couldn't help smiling a bit as he saw how happy April was at the prospect of picking them up and he stood up to walk over and tug on her ponytail playfully. "Pick me up in front of the school at seven tonight. It gets dark around seven thirty so that'll give us time to get there, get in, for Jonathan to get settled and reassured that the place won't cave in on us, and for everyone to show up. How's that sound?"

"You could wait at my house instead of the school." Jonathan said, looking at Michael. "I can talk to the matron, tell her you're staying the night at my house."

"Nah, I'm eighteen now. I just have to let them know if I'll be gone for more than two nights in a row before my six months are up to move out." Michael shrugged.

He was ready to move on. He had the money saved up to go to the University of Nebraska in Lincoln at the capital and figured he could get a job there to help pay for a place off campus after the first semester. Especially since he wasn't about to come back home during the summer if he had a choice. He wouldn't have anywhere to live after all. But he was focused on achieving his damn goal. He would get out of this tiny town, get away from the people who judged him, and he would be able to help the animals. That was what mattered.

But it'd be a lie if he said he wouldn't be worried about the others.

"Earth to Michael." Jonathan said, waiving a hand in front of Michael's face.

"What?" Michael asked, focusing on the blonde. "Sorry, man."

"I'm going to bring marshmallows for April, and chocolate and graham crackers for smores. Want me to bring anything for you?" Jonathan asked, polite as ever.

Michael shook his head and looked at April. "Do you know who else is going to be there?"

•༶ kyneton high school ༶•

Bradley stared at Nicole with thinly veiled admiration in his eyes as she very eloquently attempted to convince Joanna to come to the haunted house with them. Nicole had a way with words, a skill Bradley was often jealous of. He constantly felt as though he sounded like a blubbering toddler when he spoke -- he did not have an extensive vocabulary, and even if he knew a few fancy words, he was not the type to naturally use them in a sentence. Bradley's relatively blunt mind was a constant source of insecurity for him. But Joanna may be convinced to go to the house, so he had no time to dwell on it now.
She seemed to be coming around when Nicole explained how she could do it without technically lying to her parents, and Bradley suspected that the part about sticking it to the man did not hurt, either. Joanna turned her nervous brown eyes towards Bradley. "You're sure nothing will go wrong?" she pressed.
With a very serious look on his face, Bradley raised a hand and placed it over his own heart. "Scout's honour, Joanna. I wasn't a boy scout so I don't know if that means anything to you, but regardless of that -- scout's honour." Bradley raised his eyebrows and looked at her seriously, as if imploring her to believe him. Bradley really wanted as many people as possible at the house that night. Even if he could not properly verbalise the importance he felt for this experience, he hoped they would understand it from the true flame in his eyes. He wanted to have that coming of age moment with as many of his friends as he could gather.

゚*♡ joanna bradshaw ♡*゚

giphy.gif

The idea of finally doing something completely independently from her parents was undoubtedly very appealing to Joanna. They had dictated so much of her life for so long that even the smallest sliver of relief was looking quite attractive in her eyes. She was still very worried about them finding out -- the repercussions of her actions would be immeasurable if they found out about this. But if Nicole was doing the lying, they might be able to pull it off. They loved Nicole anyway, seemingly more than they loved their own daughter.
And even if she did not do it for herself, perhaps she could do it for Bradley. Making that excessively happy dork even more happy might just be worth the risk of being locked in the basement.
"...Alright, I'll come," she finally ceded. Bradley grinned and punched the air in victory. "But I just don't know what I can bring without tipping off my mom and dad."
"Pssh, don't worry about it. Just bring a change of clothes and a board game or something." Bradley wrapped his arms around Nicole and gave her a tight, affectionate hug. "You're a miracle worker, you know."

While Jonathan and Michael discussed the logistics of the expedition, April tilted her head back and stared up at the sky. She watched as a fluffy cloud crawled its way across the pale blue oblivion. The cloud looked so perfect, like one in a cartoon, or like a cloud an angel would sleep on. April wished she could step up onto that perfect cloud, and tuck herself under the folds of white mist and dream the sweetest dreams of her life.
April was often described as living in her own world. Truly, she seemed to view the universe around her in an entirely unique way -- instead of 3D glasses, she wore luminescent shades that filtered the world into a technicolour dream filled with sparkles, fairies, bright colours, and joy. She could live in the real world when she needed to. But she very much preferrred to see the brightness and euphoria that life had to offer.
"We should bring a little cheese. There might be mice." April slowly tilted her head down as she finally dragged her eyes away from the cloud. Then, she sighted something on the ground, and lunged forward like a cat, catching the item between her delicate hands and ending in a quick roll before landing on her knees. She opened her hands to reveal a dandelion puff, which she excitedly displayed to Jonathan and Michael. "Look," she said softly. "An angel must have been here." She blinked a couple of times before remembering that she had been asked a question. "Oh! Well if Bradley's going, Nicole likely will too. And Nicole might bring that Joanna girl ... she snapped at me for carrying too many books in the library the other day."

CODING BY LXNGDON

Last edited by a moderator:
NICOLE WILSON​

After getting Joanna to agree, Nicole had a satisfied smile on her face and it stayed there the remainder of the day. It was exciting, the thought of being there with Bradley and Joanna going through the coming of age tradition. She could spend time with her friend and with Bradley who she was hoping would ask her on prom. Preferably soon so she could start the process of advertising and promoting the two of them to run for Prom King and Queen. So, for the rest of the day? She kept quiet about what they were going to do--she didn't want a lot of others being there after all--and planned out what she would take and wear. Then right after school she laid the groundwork and got permission from Joanna's parents for her to stay with her and help with 'homework.'

When six rolled around, Nicole changed into a black tank top type jumpsuit with a pink tutu skirt and white lace top over it. Fixing her eyeshadow to match the pink and adding some mascara, she took her school books out of her backpack and hid them under her bed. She then put in a change of clothes, toiletry essentials, some snacks, her favorite blanket, and scrunchies. Then, avoiding her mother, she quickly got into the car her father had given her on her sixteenth birthday and picked up first Joanna and then Bradley.

As they started driving, Nicole noticed the way the sun was setting. It colored the sky in beautiful shades of dark pink, orange, and purple. "So, you guys excited?" She asked with a grin on her face as she pulled onto the highway that took them out of town.

JONATHAN PETERSON​

"Water, first aid kit, trail mix, flashlight, extra batters, matches, kindling," Jonathan listed off as he packed each item into the duffel bag in front of him. Maybe the matches and kindling was going too far but the place looked like it would fall on them at any point and if they were going to stay for any period of time they needed warmth. There was no way the building would have any and the nights were still cool. "Oh! I should grab extra blankets." He folded those nicely and put two in the bag along with an extra first aid kit and the food he'd said he would bring.

He had just finished putting on his tennis shoes when he heard his mom yelling for him, letting him know that April was outside for him. Grabbing his duffel bag and his jacket, he made his way out the house with a quick stop by his mother to give her a kiss on the cheek before getting in the car and making their way to pick up Michael.

Once he was in the car, he went through the mental checklist again. "Do you think I should've packed anything for major injuries?"

"I'm sure what you have is fine, Jonny." Michael said, shaking his head.

"I hope so, I brought a couple medical books in case I had any questions about anything I needed to do." He said, then smiling at April. "And I brought things for smores." His hazel eyes widened then as they approached the house. "Look at that." He said, his voice trembling just a little.

MICHAEL TOWNSEND​

Hearing the trembling in Jonathan's voice, Michael leaned forward so his head was between the seats and his eyes took in the building they were driving up to. It was, well, creepy. The house looked like once upon a time it would've been a nice looking place. It had a wrap around porch that was missing pieces, steps that were sagging in the middle, ivy that covered an entire side of the house. If any place was haunted, Michael would bet it would be this one.

As they pulled up, Michael didn't wait for the car to park before he hopped out of it and took a look, sliding his thumbs into his fingers and whistling. "Think it's ominous that tonight is a new moon?" He asked casually, looking over at Jonathan who was getting out of the car heaving his heavy duffel bag.

"It's not!"
Jonathan said, dropping the duffel bag on the ground.

Michael looked at his friend for a moment and went over to pick up the bag, grunting a little with the weight. "It is, but it'll be fine." He grinned over at April. "We've got our lucky charm with us after all. Did you remember candles for your marshmallows, April?" He saw another car pull up then and sighed. "Wonderful, the Brady bunch is here."

•༶ the manor ༶•

Bradley triapsed his way through the rest of the school day, greatly looking forward to the events of the evening to come. At no point in time was he anxious or worried about the visit -- he did not believe the house was haunted, nor did he believe that he or his friends would be in any kind of danger. The only emotion Bradley was feeling was excitement. He ran into April in one of his classes, who confirmed that she would be attending and bringing a couple of friends. This news only excited Bradley more -- the more the merrier.
After school, he made his way home, greeted all of his younger siblings and his parents, and then headed up to his bedroom to prepare. He left the same outfit on, but packed his backpack with a change of clothes, a few blankets, toiletries, a flashlight, candles, matches, a pillow, and some snacks, which he always kept in his bedroom anyway, as his younger siblings tended to raid the pantry with no regard for what belonged to him. He headed downstairs and said goodbye to everyone -- as the eldest, Bradley could normally just come and go when he pleased. His parents were rarely worried about where he was -- he could take care of himself.
When Nicole's car pulled up, Bradley climbed inside and smiled at both of the girls. "Hey! Are we excited?" he prompted, looking back and forth between the two with his own excitement very evident on his face.

゚*♡ joanna bradshaw ♡*゚

giphy.gif

"I actually am a bit excited," Joanna responded, surprising even herself with this revelation. Nicole had somehow managed to convince her parents to let her out -- Joanna had been incredibly anxious during that conversation, but she had managed to keep her cool and not let slip that they were lying to her mom and dad. Now that she was sitting in Nicole's car, with a bag of clothes, blankets, and supplies between her feet, it was sinking into Joanna's mind that she was actually going to do this. She had lied to her parents and now she was going to spend the evening in a haunted house. It seemed surreal to her, and in the back of her mind, she was still terrified that she was going to get in trouble. But there was no going back now -- and it was all quite thrilling.
They set off, and soon, the house could be seen looming over the horizon. It was an old building, so old that its very essence transported her into times gone by. Times of ballgowns and fancy parties thrown in the drawing rooms of rich men -- times of books and scholarship, of exploration and excitement. But as they neared closer and the decrepit nature of the building was shown, with the holes in the roof and the rotting embellishments, Joanna began to worry again. Even if the house was not haunted, surely it was not completely safe.
Her worry was intensified when they got out of the car and she saw that they were not alone. She had been told that April would be attending, but she had not expected two boys. Her parents did not approve of her hanging out with boys -- she could already hear her mother caling her a whore, even if she did not even speak to them.
"Hey, guys!" Bradley chirped, his perpetual joy contrasting sharply with Joanna's neverending anxiety. "Thanks for coming. We're going to have a fun time."

When she arrived home from school, April put together a bag with all of the things she would need for the evening, and mentioned to her mother where she would be going. Mrs Armytage did not bat an eyelash. She and her husband trusted April -- they had raised her to be independent, and as a result, April was a highly responsible and efficient individual. Her parents trusted her to make good decisions, and she had not failed them yet.
She found the keys to her father's car, then drove to Jonathan's house to pick him up, and after greeting him, made her way to collect Michael. Soon they were all on their way to the house. As the guys talked, April hummed an unrecognisable tune under her breath, while maintaining perfect concentration on the road. Soon, they had arrived. April smiled at Michael when he called her their lucky charm.
"You're sweet. I brought heaps of candles -- they're scented too!"
April turned when she heard a car, and smiled broadly when Bradley, Joanna, and Nicole stepped out of it. "Hey!" she called out happily, skipping over like a schoolgirl and landing in front of Joanna. She gave the brunette a brief hug, which Joanna responded to with a very confused smile, before hugging Bradley and then holding out her arms as an offer to Nicole. She did not know the cheerleader very well, so she did not want to make her uncomfortable by hugging her without permission.

CODING BY LXNGDON