Colony Galileo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm considering a Chrysalid, however, is all their tech organic? The OP seems to indicate that they also use equipment made using other race's infrastructure though.

I'm considering a Chrysalid, however, is all their tech organic? The OP seems to indicate that they also use equipment made using other race's infrastructure though.
Their default tech is organic, but when they take other forms, they'll adapt and use the technology of their adversaries against them. Ex: A Chrysalid taking a humanoid form resembling that of a human, will use human tech and organic tech in equal respects.

It should be quickly noted they aren't shapeshifters per say. They need to use technology aboard their ships to take a different shape and the procedure is neither quick nor painless, so it's not done with levity.

Since they're masters of genetic manipulation, they can likely reproduce a human form almost perfectly? Potential for playing an infiltrator unit?

• Name: Libero (formerly Vincente)
    Sex: Male
    Species: Duplicate AI (unique AI race with complete free will), formerly Fonte (see bio for details)
    Ship Survivor or Colonist?: Ship Survivor

Stats:
    • Strength: 8
    • Agility: 5 (4 +1 from Built For Combat)
    • Marksmanship: 1
    • Intelligence: 4
    • Courage: 8 (7 +1 from Cool, Calm and Collected trait)
    • Survival: 7 (6 +1 from Silk Skin trait)

Traits:

Trait 1: Cool, Calm and Collected- Libero spent over 50 years in and out of combat. He is more unnaturally calm than even typical experienced soldiers would be, giving him a 1 point boost to Courage.

Trait 2: Feeling Strangely Fine- The Fonte made bodies for the AIs to live in that kept the senses and sensations of organic bodies. Libero's body is capable of feeling all senses that organics feel, but his tech isn't made like typical AI bodies. As he is not a typical 'Type 3 AI', Libero cannot have new skills programmed into his mind or plug himself into tech to access them.

Trait 3: Speak Softly- His calm demeanor mixed with his extremely human-like face allows Libero to easily communicate with people, both as a calming presence in stressful situations and an inviting presence in diplomatic and political discussions. This is overriden when speaking to someone who hates or distrusts robots, AIs and non-their-race beings in general.

Trait 4: Built For Combat- Unlike the regular AI bodies most Duplicated AI have, the Birthed AI bodies were modified with combat in mind. This included enhanced speed and reflexes, which add a 1 point stat boost to Agility.

Trait 5: Silk Skin- To protect him in battle, Libero and a small number of Duplicated AI have an outer 'skin' layer made of Silk Skin, an extremely tough and heavy material that, while thin, protects the insides of the body better than regular human body armor. Humans cannot handle the weight, but these bodies are built to handle it, so Libero can move at regular speeds while getting a 1 point survival increase. The downside is twofold: first, he has no Silk Skin over his neck or joints, making them easy weak spot targets; second, he is very heavy, which can lead to a variety of problems in general.

Equipment List:
    • Two Martellos, tonfa-like stick weapons housed in Libero's arms. Their ends are flat, but can be replaced with his Martello attachments. One special function of his Martello is that a button press causes the end of the Martello stick to quickly enter and exit the base, which works as a short-range jackhammer.
    • Two Martello round-end attachements meant for hitting organic opponents non-lethally. Stored in Libero's left hip.
    • Two Martello pointed-end attachements meant for lethal attacks on organics. Stored in Libero's right hip.

Signature: PCSutfin

• Libero was originally a Fonte, a humanoid race from the planet Parivin. His people are about a couple heads taller than humans with naturally thinner bodies, but otherwise look the same. They are peaceful, non-religious and very unified in their efforts. Before connecting with the rest of the alien races, the Fonte perfected a form of AI based on making an emulator of the Fonte brain and copying the consciousness of a Fonte into it, making what amounts to a virtual clone placed specifically in a robot body. Instead of making it somehow 'more' than a living Fonte, the bodies were designed to experience the senses and sensations of living as similar to reality as possible while making the shell protective and strong, so they looked like plastic versions of their old selves.

Furdah, one of the many powerful countries on Parivin, decided to go further with AI technology. Unfortunately for Furdah, and all of the Fonte, the efforts to making an AI from scratch, or 'birthing' a mind, ended in disaster. These new AIs that felt no fear of death and saw no reason to be kind to the Fonte eventually got out of hand, and after their endangering of Fonte lives lead to the Furdahn government trying to regulate their behavior, riots and uprisings brought chaos and violence to the peaceful peoples of Parivin. After Furdah fell to their creations, the Birthed AIs set their sights on the rest of the world. They took over the factories their creators put them together in, redesigning the bodies for battlefield use with armored skin, produced millions of copies of the same AIs to put in the warrior bodies, creating an army, and began their invasion.

Libero was originally a Fonte named Vincente, a middle-aged therapist, and he had a family he felt was worth protecting. When the Birthed AIs started getting violent, Vincente was one of the volunteers willing to join together with the government to defend his home country of Wahr as a soldier. In an effort to appeal to the Duplicate AIs, who as a whole were divided on taking part in this conflict, the Birthed AIs started taking Wahr soldiers captive and making AI copies of them against their will, offering the Duplicates a larger number of 'their own' in exchange for help. The Duplicates instead stood up against the Birthed, and started fighting back, side by side with Wahr and the rest of the world.

Wanting to make use of the hundred or so Duplicates they made, the Birthed AIs told them that they could get back the lives that were taken from them by being the only 'thems' left. Vincente was one of the captives, and his Duplicate AI was told by his captors that his life as a Fonte was over, that his family, his job, his entire life still belonged to the Fonte he was copied from. If he worked with the Birthed AIs, Vincente's Duplicate AI would be allowed to have his life back. He, and all of the other captives' Duplicates, refused to cooperate, and were told to watch their old selves' mass public execution and then make their minds.

Before the execution, the Fonte Vincente offered his old life to the Duplicate, telling him that his family needs him in any way he can be there. The AI told him that the Birthed were right in saying that his life was taken from him the moment he wasn't in a Fonte body, but that they were wrong in saying that he could have it back. Making peace with one another, they went to the execution expecting it to go as planned. As the Birthed prepared to begin killing Fonte, a large force of Duplicates and Fontes arrived and destroyed the Birthed that were there. Fontes all across the world had joined together and made AI copies of themselves, doubling their soldiers' numbers and creating an army of millions.

The war of the AIs had begun. Vincente was returned to his family, and his AI, going by the new name Libero, trained with the Duplicate AIs in combat. Unlike the regular Duplicates, who were made to be as durable as Fonte bodies, the body Libero and the other former captives had was in was designed by the Birthed to be extremely tough and ready for combat. His weapons, Martellos, were tonfa-like sticks that could move through the handle connection to function as forearm protectors in one moment or reach extending sticks in the other. The sticks had end attachements that could be rounded, flat or piercing, and they were stored in his forearms when not used. The Duplicate AI military added a 'jackhammer' function to Libero's Martellos on request, allowing the end of the stick to quickly move back and forth to thrust or stab a target and quickly destroy it.

Libero was in several large-scale battles and many skirmishes with the Birthed AI during the AI War, fighting on the front lines and using the Birthed AI's hardened body tech against them. After destroying the factories the Birthed AIs used to make more soldiers and hunting the remaining Birthed down, the war was officially won. The innocence of the planet was lost, however, and the search for life after death had been over for a while. Wondering what was 'next' for the world, the collective eyes of the Fonte and Duplicates looked up, to the stars.

When contact was made with other species several years later, Libero was there to help keep things diplomatic, sent with representatives of the Duplicates and Fonte to interact with their guests. When slavers, bandits and other antagonists of the galaxy came to Parivin, Libero was ready to fight man and machine alike. When Parivin had successfully established itself as a civilization worth respecting or leaving alone, things were looking up for the Fonte. It was finally time for Libero to go. He'd moved so far away from his old life without leaving his people, and now the final step in finding himself and his purpose in life would have to be found in the worlds beyond his own. He was not a family man, he was not a soldier, an ambassador or even a Fonte anymore. Libero, for the first time, didn't know what he was, only that the universe had limitless potential.

Libero spent three years of his life with no one over his head, no orders to follow or family to work for. His time as a therapist was long gone, he thought, but then Libero had the opportunity to travel with alien refugees. Their colony had been attacked by raiders of the same species, and most of their friends and family were dead. He was a shoulder to cry on, an ear to listen with and a guide to advise for dozens of broken people, and Libero realized that his people were so very lucky compared to the rest of the universe, to only fight amongst each other in one conflict before facing monstrous people like alien raiders or godlike forces of evil like the Chrysalids. They had AIs to protect them, and were in no real danger, but the universe was so much weaker than his homeworld, where Fonte never fought Fonte.

One of the alien families convinced him to accompany them to a human colony, Galileo, where they intended to try and live amongst the humans. As they made their way to the colony, the ship Libero and the refugees were on was stopped by one of the INEF defense ships orbiting the planet. Libero didn't know this, but another passenger on the ship was smuggling some sort of contraband he saved from the destruction of his colony, and everyone was detained on the defense vessel so that the INEF could investigate the smuggling and determine who was and wasn't involved.

Then the Chrysalids attacked. Libero, being an AI of non-familiar tech, was voluntarily being examined by techies o the ship, away from the other detained travelers, and couldn't possibly get to them before the ship was destroyed. Hoping that the family also escaped, he entered an escape pod and shot towards the colony, into the unknown.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since they're masters of genetic manipulation, they can likely reproduce a human form almost perfectly? Potential for playing an infiltrator unit?
As mentioned in their history they're masters of espionage, but I'll avoid allowing player antagonists at this time. Chrysalids are playable, but only as defectors.

Okay, I'll go with the magnets.

Understood.
  • Bone-structure and Hydraulic Implants: An internal improvement upon modern exoskeletal technology. Attached to the bones in her hands, arms, legs, and spine, these implants improve her core durability, allowing her body to sustain great weight and stress. (Note: does not act as armour—harder to break, not to kill.) +1 to strength.
    • The implants also act as hydraulic boosters, allowing her lift weights greater than her muscles normally would be able to. Varies in strength at will, though technically always active to ensure she can lift her own weight. +1 to strength.
    • Magnetic nodules: Nodules in key places across her body poke through her flesh, and can be magnetically charged to lock on to large adjacent metal objects. There are located on her hands, feet, and forearms. Can be used both for a better grip, or to climb metal surfaces.
  • Non-combat: With her small stature and civilian outfit, she makes for a rather non-threatening opponent. Assailants are less likely to attack her directly when other, combat-focused operatives are around. EDIT: Changed my mind, going for the two strength.
I'll edit them into the CS if accepted.

Pfft, she's not even a fish.

Though now I'm curious, in a non-satirical CS, if I could pull off the same character concept for Galileo... Not that I would try, I swear.
Changed my mind and went back to the plus-two strength, with magnets replacing the cutter.

Name: Sergeant Max (Designation A-1205)
Species: Human, Alpha Clone

Appearance:

0xNQI0M.jpg

jcMvl4j.jpg

Standing in at 6'6" with a body genetically designed to be stronger than a regular human, Max is somewhat imposing when not in his combat suit. When in his combat suit, his size seems to swell further, with his height reaching seven feet.

Ship Survivor or Colonist?: Ship Survivor; Sergeant

Biography:
Born and raised as part of Project Apollo, Max spent his most of his life living among other Alpha Clones in a military training facility. Pitted against one another as well as external threats, and harshly trained every day, Max and his brothers persevered and overcame their hardships, emerging as what is essentially the pinnacle of human genetic manipulation and training. Pushing the boundaries of what it meant to be human, almost to an extent seen by many as distinctly 'inhuman,' these Project Apollo Alpha Clones went into service at the early age of 15, many of them as Mechanized Infantry. Max himself was occasionally deployed in various anti-terrorist, peacekeeping, or disaster relief situations that gave him a fair bit of experience in real life battles in addition to his training. But other than those events, his life has been mostly uneventful.

As a person, and Max will argue vehemently that he is a person to anyone who tries to tell him otherwise, he is a bit slower than the average human and, despite possessing an abnormal physique, is subject to the same issues as other Alpha Clones, namely the ability to push oneself to the point of even hurting one's own body. While his suit tries to limit these events, Max still trains daily to maintain his body, training that will likely grind him down eventually. The man has already begun to pass his physical peak, though it could be argued he is older than his biological age considering his somewhat accelerated growth.

For the most part, Max knows only war, killing, and the knowledge necessary to achieve such. He was not born or designed to command, but was instead built to be commanded. As such, the man is not the most out of the box thinker, nor is he particularly bright as has already been mentioned. Towards his comrades he feels a nature affection born of mutual hardship, particularly other Alphas raised in Project Apollo, but he has an extremely hard time socializing with civilians because he possesses no common ground with them. To be a civilian is almost unthinkable in his mind, and Max will often fall into military habits even during 'casual' talks with regular people. It's a strange sight, to witness such a gargantuan man stumbling over his words with a significantly less threatening person, something that causes Max to avoid talking to non-military people.

Stats:
  • Str: 6 + 2 = 8
  • Agi: 4 + 0 = 4
  • Mrk: 7 + 1 = 8
  • Int: 3 + 0 = 3
  • Cou: 6 + 1 = 7
  • Sur: 6 + 1 = 7

Traits:

Trait 1: Genetically Superior - Designed before birth to be an Alpha, Max possesses the genetic code necessary to build and maintain an almost abnormal amount of muscle and stamina than regular humans, which only further compounds his military training. (+1 Str)

Trait 2: Raised for War - Having spent his entire life in some kind of military compound undergoing some form of military training, Max is well accustomed to high stress situations and even live fire scenarios that involved near-fatal circumstances at times. (+1 Cou)

Traits 3, 4, 5: Mechanized Infantry Suit - After passing all the courses and training given to him by the INEF, Max was finally commissioned and became part of a platoon as Mechanized Infantry: Soldiers, often Alpha Clones, clothed in what were essentially battle suits or exoskeleton armor. Powered using long-duration miniaturized fusion reactors, Max's suit augments his strength, provides targeting assistance, and increases his survivability in battle.(+1 Str, +1 Mrk, +1 Sur)

Equipment List:
  • Max's Mechanized Infantry Suit: An EMP resistant, armored fighting suit that is capable of carrying significantly heavier loads on top of Max's nature strength. Comes with built-in communications and provides targeting assistance at all times including night/thermal vision. Doubles as a natural untrained-telepathy blocker due to the helmet.
  • INEF Uniform: Typical INEF uniform worn under the suit.
  • Dogtags: For identifying his corpse, blood type, or designation.
  • M-47 Infantry Railgun: A standard issue railgun for mechanized infantry that fires a 5.56mm tungsten slug at 30 rounds per minute. Has a fifteen slug magazine. Regular, non-mechanized infantry attempting to fire this railgun from a standing position would likely be thrown backwards. Designed to sever limbs or blow human-sized enemies wearing body armor in half with one round, although in reality, most hits with modern weapons are one-hit kills or incapacitations.
  • 25 Total Magazines of 5.56mm Tungsten Slugs: What it says on the tin. 375 slugs total.
  • Emergency Rations: Rations taken from the escape pod.
  • Survival/Combat Knife: Fairly standard backup knife for mechanized infantry.

Signature: Ascendant

Max's Opinions

Marcus De'Leveyan: Ranger, useful with a sniper rifle. "I'd be glad to have you a few hundred meters behind me." (Respectful)

Tharvax-8071: Big brute, could probably beat me at arm wrestling. So who the hell let this thing into our military? I'm glad he's on our side or at least seems that way, but seriously. (Suspicious)

Leonie Valkrich: Handles a rifle well, though part of me would rather have her quite a bit closer than a few hundred meters. I should stop thinking like that in this situation, it isn't right with all these people dying around me. Side note, she asks unusual questions. (Respectful, Attracted)

Quentin Brant: Useless civilian who can't shoot the broadside of a starship. "Go hide in a box, you'll only get in my way. And for fuck's sake, go run a few laps and do some exercise!" (Disdain)

Caitlin Atten, MD: A cute doctor with some serious compassion. I'd protect her with my own body if I had to. (Protective/Respectful, Attracted)

Kephart: "Kill the enemy and I'll be happy to have you." (Neutral)

Gilan Thorne: "I wish you were a better soldier but I suppose you're useful. Somehow. But you better not run off after your friend." (Neutral)

Ariston Tychon: "Sir, orders, sir!" (Utmost Respect)

Laura Shima: Another one with a potential weakness, this time for love. Hopefully she won't break and run either. (Neutral)

Gwen Argalla: Erm. Not sure what to make of this one. I wasn't given the choice about being modified, but she voluntarily altered her body considerably. I'm not sure I agree but whatever, as long as she fights, it ultimately doesn't matter. (Neutral)

Norb Chi'Surn: Another alien. Keep your plasma things pointed at the enemy and we're cool. (Wary)

Prosper: Another gun is always good, hopefully this machine is incapable of feeling fear and running. (Neutral)

Ariel Abraham: Try to fuck with my mind and I'll crush your skull. I don't like the look of you, so you've got a lot to prove. (Wary)

Phillipe Mordante: "Permission to shoot this asshat, Admiral." (Serious Disdain)

William McCormick: "Huh? You don't like alpha clones? Well fuck you too. Just try fighting me, I'd bury you in a heartbeat." (Very Wary)

Matthew Taylor: "Stop running around like a moron and take cover, you idiot!" (Neutral)

Samuel “Graz” Grazdan: "Congratulations, your ship has just been commandeered to serve the purposes of the INEF. Follow our orders and you might survive." (Neutral)

Libero: "Uh. You're tough and got some serious willpower, but modern combat involves shooting ranged weapons. Which means you're basically useless since you're an even worse shot than that slob." (Disappointment)
Morgan Ferios Mellaran: Now that I think about it, Valkrich's question makes sense. Is this woman my family? Does that mean she's off-limits? We're both clones, yeah, but we're not genetically family. I think. Hell if I know. In any case, I'll protect her life with my own. The last thing I'm going to do is leave her to these fucking aliens if she gets wounded. (Respectful/Protective, Attracted)

Nikolai Bones: "I don't trust you. I don't care about your alien-murdering, but the law is the law. You're going back in chains if you survive or I don't kill you myself. But more importantly, where the fuck did you get a suit similar to mine? It better not be stolen." (Very Wary)

Berry Wilson Jones: "Sir, orders, sir?" (Respectful)

Ralph Johannes Fredriech: I don't know what to think of this guy. I admire his romantic abilities, but otherwise, he's just too much of an unknown. (Neutral)

Last edited:
I added a second character to my CS post. I can't recall if you've said anything specific about allowing multiple characters or not, but whatever, it's there. :P

I added a second character to my CS post. I can't recall if you've said anything specific about allowing multiple characters or not, but whatever, it's there. :P

so what happens if he gets stabbed in the pouch

I presume he, the stabber and whomever else is unfortunate enough to be close dies in a glorious ball of fiery plasma.

Yeah, Snakey got it. Norb has a self-destruct button. :P

• Biography
    Name: Quentin Brant
    Species: Human

Appearance:

A slobbish young man of average height and a slight build, upon initial viewing there's not much that sets Quentin apart from the average urban schlub.

He has a hard facial structure; A broad nose and high cheek bones, complete with brown eyes and neat chinstrap goatee. Most striking is his smile. Friendly, disarming and complimented by perfect teeth, a byproduct of having them completely replaced after one-too-many punches to the face.

Dark medium length hair is kept hidden under a grey jeep-cap which sits above pair of often worn shades. He claims they're for his light sensitivity, good for him as a deeply tanned hide attests to a good portion of his time is spent outdoors. It's not as if he's naturally dark, if you were to peal off the greasy undershirt he wears everyday you would find unflatteringly pale skin and very well done tattoo of a snake eating two smaller snakes. No significant meaning, he just thought it looked cool in the selection book On colder days he can be seen sporting a fitted faux-leather jacket, on the lapel of which one can barely make out Kaleb Ireland in the shadow of some removed embroidery. He often just wears his dirt stained work pants for the sake of convenience, usually ending tucked into a pair of laceless military boots kept from his stint in basic.

Quentin carries himself as if he has a purpose and acts as if he's everyone's friend, not afraid to dish out hugs should the situation call for it. He's aware this bugs most people and it just makes it all the more fun.

Ship Survivor or Colonist?: Colonist

Biography:

Quentin Brant never existed, until a couple years ago at least. He was originally born in the the warm season of 72 AE in a small, frontier settlement of Selby under the name Kaleb Ireland. Kaleb was a single child to relatively well off family, his mother and father being a veterinarian and mechanic respectively. He was spoiled and over loved by his young, eager parents. This struck hard when his father passed away in a industrial incident, leaving the boy and his mother to cope on their own. And they did, decently enough, his father's company provided a decent life insurance policy and the mother continued working, though a lot less than before. At first she stayed close with Kaleb, trying to calm the forever-distraught child who had almost no ability to figure out what was wrong, but soon she drifted away from the child, leaving him the care of sitters most days while she went off to see other men. This continued for a couple months until it seemed her courting had payed off. Only a year later she married a handsome, older man with a small brood of his own.

No longer an only child, Kaleb was left to contend with four other screaming brats for attention. A competition he almost always lost. His new step-father didn't seem to care for the boy and whenever chores needed to be done or punishments to be dished out Kaleb's name was always the first to be bellowed across the house. Needless to say, he developed some resentment to his step father and siblings and slowly grew apart from the family as a whole. Even his mother did little to defend him, too infatuated with her new husband. Years passed and into Kaleb's younger teen years he was rarely ever at home, he couched surfed across a few friend's places who's parents gave him the attention the youth desperately craved. Soon enough he simply just never returned home and lived essentially as a couch-jumping vegabond.

One day into his fifteenth year Kaleb was made an offer by one of his closer buddies, come with him to Bellsford and live a life totally free of parental control. He didn't take much convincing. Unfortunately, his buddy was unable to secure a place to live (who would rent an apartment to a teenage dropout?) and cancelled last minute. More unfortunate, Kaleb didn't know this until he had already dropped out of school and scrounged enough money to take a shuttle to Bellsford. Homeless, penniless and trapped in a city he knew nothing about he was almost willing to admit that he had made a grave mistake and call crying back to his mother. However, pride is a powerful force and teenage pride is further tempered by naivety, so he stayed. The streets were rough at first, Kaleb's relatively cozy life biting him hard in the ass as he nearly starved and froze to death in the first week of homelessness. By the second week he had his vision of independence thoroughly shattered, every night was colder than the last and he was approached by various shady individuals with 'business' offers, all of which he turned down until his third week. By then he had suffered from hyperthermia, been mugged twice, was offered money for sexual favors on a bi-daily basis and all-and-all was about to give up on on his barely held illusions of freedom. Then he was a approached by a man who only called himself The Savant.

The Savant was significantly more approachable than most other hustlers, He wore clean, but modest clothes and lack of stench coming off him suggested that he showered at least occasionally. Much more than could be said for most "benefactors" that tried to take him in. More-so, his proposal seemed actually beneficial. Kaleb would play in illegal card games, The Savant would assist him in winning said card games and they would split the spoils. A strange set up, but the boy wasn't in the position to be picky and took the offer without much fuss.

The idea was simple in concept, Kaleb, a true-born unmodified human teenager, was one of the least likely people to be accused of cheating and they would use that prejudice to, well, cheat. The tools of choice were a set of strange contact lenses and a small box of almost perfect insect drones. Where The Savant got such outlandish and advanced hardware was never explained, but it made little difference as the set up was pretty simple. Kaleb would wear the contacts and have a live feed steamed into them from the insect drones to spy on the other player's cards. It wasn't a perfect system, but the small-time operations they planned on hitting wouldn't likely have near enough tech know-how to stop them. The Savant on the other hand would set up gigs, provide tech support and call in contacts should things get rough. It worked. For years the petty misuse of highly advanced technology provided Kaleb and The Savant with a decent living. If things got to hot they changed their names and laid low for a while. Krisio DeJesus, Greg Cennick, Keith Young and Luka Dobbs were just a few of the names Kaleb adopted over the next few years. Despite these attempts at subtlety Kaleb eventually earned the attention of the local mob.

He was formally invited to a large gambling event with the pot measuring in the millions. The Savant pleaded the now over-emboldened and egotistical Kaleb not to go, but the lure of cash blinded him to the obvious danger of the situation. And so he went, but not before a hard night of partying that would prove to be his savior. Blitzed off his ass and high as a kite at the same time he stumbled to the event and was somehow let in, the cyborg doorman apparently taking pity on young man who could barely walk. He was shuffled to the table where he would play, seven others waited there and a surprisingly large crowd sat around them protected by what seemed like blast-resistant glass. This didn't set off Kaleb's alarms as he was too busy gawking at dealer's strange purple suit. Soon after he was sat down the game began. He slipped on his shades and waited for the video feed to fill his vision like he had done so many times before. When nothing happened it finally hit him that he had forgotten the hardware in his stupor.

Kaleb hadn't realized until that moment how bad he was at cards, it's not like showing up to games smashed was new to him and one would think he would have picked up at least some tips along the way, but no he just sucked. Still, he tried to do his best to pay attention to what was going on. The man directly across seemed to be having an allergic reaction and constantly stopped to rub his eyes. Kaleb wasn't the only one to see this and soon it had attracted the attention of the cyborg enforcers watching over them. The game stopped and the man was taken aside, what looked like physician examining his eye. After he finished the 'good' doctor wandered over to the dealer and whispered something. The room went dead quiet, the viewers ceasing their mild chatter and the players struck dumb with confusion. The silence was broken by the dealer who tutted and loudly declared, "Looks like we got ourselves a cheater!" The crowd burst into cheers and a few players flashed panic. The man with the itchy eye was taken to the table and in full view of everyone had his offending eye pried out by the enforcers with a sick squelch. It plopped onto the card table was subsequently crushed with a heavy metal fist sending bits of eye-flesh in all directions, in the mush a tiny implant was visible. "Alright, lets see if we got any more!" The crowd cheered even louder and some of the players made a run for the door. Kaleb just sat in his chair, all buzz ripped from in the sudden act of ultra-violence.

Every player was put through a rigorous series of tests to determine if they had any hidden implants. One women had strange finger cameras and had her hands lopped off in return. Another man had similar hidden eye implants to the first and he was dealt with in a similar manner. Everyone else, including Kaleb, was determined clean, but that was not the last of the horror. A black cube with a single button was placed in the middle of the table, the howling spectators hushing with it's presence, allowing the mewling cries of the dismembered to shine through. Kaleb shared some confused stares with the remaining players, two of which seemed especially worried. The dealer pushed the button on the cube and nothing happened. At first at least, only a moment later the two worried players descended into screeching madness not silenced until they mercifully passed out.

The remaining three, covered in eye gore, just stared in abject horror. "Well then, looks like their are only three honest folk in the room, lets continue the game." The dealer declared. So they did, in complete silence. Kaleb ended up losing all of the cash he had on hand, but that was the last thing on his mind. He was in way over his head, and though he may have survived the mob's strange game there was no telling what shit awaited in the future.

He cut off contact with The Savant and changed his name one last time. Quentin Brant was born. He went back to high school to finish off his diploma and was shipped into basic training as normal. He finished his stint the militia with little incident and earned a reputation as someone who would try everything once. Back as a civilian he entertained the thought of going back to his family in Selby. He didn't, but he give them a call and they understandably freaked out. Quent picked up a gardening job from a military buddy and kept it, the honest work satisfying him more than any big win ever would.

• Technical
    Stats:
    • Strength: 4
    • Agility: 6
    • Intelligence: 5
    • Marksmanship: 2
    • Courage: 10
    • Survival: 5

Traits:

- Fool me once...: Despite his positive exterior Quent is a weary soul. Hustlers, sharks, thugs and more have tried to take advantage of the optimistic youth and he's learned to spot such deception from a mile away. Quent's got a head on him, even if it ain't screwed on quite right. (General bonus to detecting lies, calling bluffs and discerning hidden motivations.)

- Friends In Low Places: Despite leaving his old life behind him Quentin still maintains relationships with some of his more trusted "friends". Name it and he'll probably have a guy for it. (Can call contacts to assist, usually in the form of more illegitimate services. GM discretion on potential price of help or even if the contact is willing to help at all.)

- Just Another Schlub: Sometimes the best way to avoid trouble is looking like you aren't worth bothering in the first place. Just keeping your head low and acting confident does wonders if you're looking to have people just pass you off. (General bonus to stealth, larger bonus if in a group.)

- Dark Lenses: These nigh-invisible contact lenses are more than meets the eye. Not only can they correct vision, but enhance it to nigh super human levels. The wearer can change to see any type of light on the spectrum, or even zoom in on a subject (to a relatively small degree). In addition, the lenses can take, store and replay soundless video as well as take still pictures, this video can be streamed to other devices or, working the other way around, video can be streamed back into the lenses. All of this is controlled through thought alone, requiring no voice or touch commands.

- Insect Drone Kit: A smallish, dull steel box fitted with an advanced lock. When opened it reveals a strange assortment of common insects and a small built in computer. Upon closer inspection the insect's mechanical nature becomes more apparent. Each of the several dozen tiny disposable drones are equipped with a whole gross mess of sensors, ranging from visual feeds to radiation detectors. This information can sent over an encrypted stream to the box (or any other synced device) or be stored and accessed manually. If the drones should fall into the wrong hands they can be remotely destroyed, detonating with a satisfying 'pop'.

Equipment List:

- Standard Issue INEF semi-automatic pistol.
    - A big nasty looking knife.
    - Dark Lenses.
    - Insect Drone Kit.
    - PDA Phone, three generations outdated.
    - Baggy of fine smokables.
    - Vessels in which to use smokables.
    - Prescription painkillers.
    - Wallet with a decent bit of cash.
    - A couple fake IDs.
    - Small backpack.
    - First aid kit.
    - Standard outfit complete with jacket.
    - Trendy shades.
    - Extra pair of pants.
    - 84 Ursus Kodiak - A small, electric utility vehicle that comfortable seats two. Affectionately called The War Wagon.

Signature: I, Snakey, agree to be a pawn solely in service to the story.

[/tab][/tabs]
Approved. Found your character's theme too, unless you have one better... Mr Smokeables.
the incorporated technology from the cube allows the suit to shrink the wearer to a subatomic scale and retains her natural strength (like The Atom from DC universe).
Vetoed. This isn't possible with current technology, as it would kill any human trying to shrink down due to square cube law. Basically: Humans haven't figured out how to deal with lung inefficiency at smaller sizes yet, and heart over-efficiency.

The rest of the suit is fine as is. :ferret:
+ Personal Drone: This is a small floating globe about thirty centimetres in diameter. It is equipped with holographic projectors which can display the image of a person, allowing a character to have a virtual presence over a great distance.
This won't be a useful distraction device in most instances, just letting you know now.

• N/A

• ef55fe46a5f0d6e7af6bd24586a5ae5c-d73iprt.jpg

Laura Shima - Art by David Paget

Sex: Female
      Species: Human
      Additional Appearance Notes: 5’9”/175cm.
      Ship Survivor or Colonist?: Ship Survivor
      Biography: Laura was born on New Earth to two newly weds on the cusp of finding out that maybe they weren’t right for each other. They moved too fast and soon found themselves chained together by their daughter. Needless to say, there was tension in Laura’s home life. A troubled home led to a troubled mind, and a troubled mind led to a troubled social life. When it was time for her mandatory service in the military, it become more of a second chance than an unwanted duty. A potential fresh start.

Unfortunately, Laura found out there’s some baggage that distance does little to solve. Some of it follows you, and sometimes you pick up something new. Such as a new robotic arm when a training exercise goes awry. Awry, in this case, meaning Laura grabbed live explosives instead of duds by mistake. She spent weeks in the hospital, and even longer working late on menial tasks as punishment for her carelessness.

A silver lining appeared in the form of Renard. Another person serving their mandatory military service for the Terran Confederacy. They were briefly friends before moving onto something more physical. It was perhaps the most positive bond Laura had had with another person, and was cut short by the inconvenience of a sudden invasion of Galileo-3 by hostile warships. The last thing she saw before her overcrowded escape pod ejected from the crumbling INEF vessel was Renard climbing into a separate pod.

Stats:
      • Strength: 4
      • Agility: 7
      • Marksmanship: 6
      • Intelligence: 9* (8+1 {Situational})
      • Courage: 3
      • Survival: 5 (4+1)

Traits:
      • A Cold Hand: After crippling her arm in an explosive training exercise gone wrong, Laura received a mechanical replacement. Technically stronger than her normal arm, said strength is counterbalanced by the fact that the upper arm and shoulder are still normal. It’s definitely more durable, however. (+1 Survival)
        • Don’t Let Go: The arm - or at least the hand - also has the capability to become adhesive at will; allowing for a solid grip on anything ranging from handheld objects to the vertical surface of a tall building.
        • Reach Out: The hand can also be fired several dozen metres to act as a grappling hook, including a powered winch to draw her up. It’s strong enough to lift Laura as well as what she’s carrying - usually - but even a light second person would be severely pushing it.
      • Distance Yourself: Problem solving on the fly is easier when done with calm precision. As long as Laura herself is not in immediate danger, she is more likely to notice potential solutions or previously unforeseen problems. (Situational +1 Intelligence)
      • Out of Sight: Laura has a talent for getting around unseen. Be that moving from cover to cover under cover of darkness, or passing unnoticed through a crowd, she can generally get from point A to point B with no one the wiser.

Equipment List:
      • INEF-SP3 - Standard issue pump-action sniper rifle. Uses an eight-shot detachable magazine.
        • One equipped magazine (8 shots)
        • Two spare magazines (16 shots total)
      • Military Communications Interchanger - Transmits and receives both civilian and military frequencies.
      • Combat Knife
      • INEF Survival Gear - An outfit meant less for defense and more for protecting the wearer from the environment of whatever planet they may find themselves on - as long as it’s terraformed to a modicum of basic survivability, that is. Includes a rebreather to filter out potential toxins. A touch excessive on an agricultural planet, but it's what the escape pod supplied.
      • Flashbang - x2
      • Military rations - Two days worth
      • A Photo

Signature: Herzinth does hereby declare his mortality.

• N/A
Approved.
Bone-structure and Hydraulic Implants: An internal improvement upon modern exoskeletal technology. Attached to the bones in her hands, arms, legs, and spine, these implants improve her core durability, allowing her body to sustain great weight and stress. (Note: does not act as armour—harder to break, not to kill.) +1 to strength.
  • The implants also act as hydraulic boosters, allowing her lift weights greater than her muscles normally would be able to. Varies in strength at will, though technically always active to ensure she can lift her own weight. +1 to strength.
  • Magnetic nodules: Nodules in key places across her body poke through her flesh, and can be magnetically charged to lock on to large adjacent metal objects. There are located on her hands, feet, and forearms. Can be used both for a better grip, or to climb metal surfaces.
Please just edit your CS in the future and then post to let me know you've done so. It's confusing otherwise to my tiny, ferrety brain.
giphy.gif

Your character is approved. Edit your CS.
Though now I'm curious, in a non-satirical CS, if I could pull off the same character concept for Galileo... Not that I would try, I swear.
Probably, given enough edits to fit the universe.
Trait 4: Carry a Big Stick- During his time fighting for the Fonte, Libero was trained in using advanced tonfa-like sticks. They are made out of fairly durable material, harder than the material his Shell Skin is made of, and are stored in his forearms. This is the only weapon he is well-trained in, as his body was made specifically for close-ranged combat.
You don't need a trait for this. You can keep the tonfas and use this trait on something else.
Trait 5: Silk Skin- To protect him in battle, Libero and a small number of Duplicated AI have an outer 'skin' layer made of Silk Skin, an extremely tough and heavy material that, while thin, protects the insides of the body better than regular human body armor. Humans cannot handle the weight, but these bodies are built to handle it, so Libero can move at regular speeds while getting a 2 point survial increase. The downside is twofold: first, he has no Silk Skin over his neck or joints, making them easy weak spot targets; second, he is very heavy, which can lead to a variety of problems in general.
No. You can only get +1 on stats per trait. :ferret:
Max's Mechanized Infantry Suit: An EMP resistant, armored fighting suit that is capable of carrying significantly heavier loads on top of Max's nature strength. Comes with built-in communications and provides targeting assistance at all times including night/thermal vision. Doubles as a natural telepathy blocker due to the helmet.
All of this would need to be a single trait. It's an advanced military suit that provides telepathy blocking power, EMP resistance, carry-load bonuses, built-in coms, night/thermal vision, and targeting assistance. :ferret:

Everything else is fine though. Make this tweak (drop the mechanized suit or make it into a trait) and I'll be happy.

Name: Norb Chi'Surn
Age: 42 human years, which is not far into the cultural age of majority for a Chiwen.
Species: Chiwen. They are a small and not particularly robust species. Chiwen are best known as a tech-savvy people, often to be found working in maintenance and engineering sectors, though it's not uncommon to see one in a marketplace selling anything from shiny trinkets to space ship parts. They were one of the first to use plasma-based weaponry on a large scale, and it is said they're still the best at it today. The Chiwen have genetically modified themselves over many decades in order to promote the highest of intellects, among other strange changes.
Appearance: See image, borrowed from
Ship Survivor or Colonist?: Colonist.

Biography: Norb has led a simple life. He grew up on the Chiwen homeworld and was just as fascinated by technology as any of his fellows. Throughout his schooling years he developed particular interests in the wide world of technology, as was common for his species. Norb found himself especially fascinated by plasma weaponry, the history of technological advancements, and modern primitive tech. It came as no surprise to anyone when he chose to leave home and go in search of primitives to study as soon as he reached the Chiwen age of majority (roughly equivalent to 38 human years).

Upon hearing of the species that managed to survive a Chrysalid extermination attempt despite only barely being to the point of solving the light speed barrier problem, Norb knew he'd found a worthy species to study. He slowly made his way to Terran space, working as an engineer and maintenance person on various stations and ships to pay his way. Rather than making it to their new homeworld as intended, Norb found himself somewhat marooned on an agrarian colony on the outskirts of their territory. He worked hard to learn their language (developing a fascination for curse words along the way, since they were a linguistic phenomenon not found in the Chiwen tongue) and found work for himself in a city called Bellsford.

Lacking money and expecting life on New Earth to be as relatively expensive as it tended to be on most home worlds, Norb kept on working after scraping together enough money to buy a spot on a ship headed elsewhere. He helped the locals repair and upgrade machinery and tools of all kinds, and along the way he did some work to teach the backwards people some more advanced techniques. After a while he hatched a plan to make himself a wealthy Chiwen: convince the humans to convert from their foolish ballistic weaponry to superior plasma armaments from his people, with himself as the middleman of the deal of course, and everyone would be happier for it. It felt somewhat wrong to manipulate a primitive species for personal gain, but Norb told himself it was fine because he could use those finances to further his studies and his side projects in invention in innovation, and that would outweigh the negatives by tons.

Unfortunately, long before he could get this plan in motion an attack came that shook his greedy dreams. In the very recent past Norb decided that staying alive was better than making tons of money, and now he simply wishes to survive and go far away from Terran space as fast as possible.

Stats:
  • Strength: 3
  • Agility: 8
  • Marksmanship: 6
  • Intelligence: 10
  • Courage: 3
  • Survival: 2

Traits:

Chiwen Pellets: One of the more radical genetic modifications the Chiwen have made to themselves is their method of waste disposal. Rather than excreting it as most other species do, they have a special organ that acts as organic nuclear fission reactor that takes in waste material and produces energy that is stored in roughly spherical hard shelled pellets. The form of energy found in these pellets is a volatile cousin to traditional plasma, and it has a couple possible uses: if a pellet is punctured and the energy is not contained it will violently explode (much like a plasma grenade) after a few seconds; if a pellet is punctured and then plopped onto a valid energy receptacle (such as where the fuel pack for a plasma weapon would be plugged in) it can provide a bit of emergency energy to that device, enough for two shots with a plasma rifle and up to four for a plasma pistol if they're not high energy models. Norb's internal pellet pouch can hold up to three at a time, a new one is made roughly every 12 hours, and they are expelled through the mouth at will rather than through less convenient orifices. Fun fact: Chiwen are the only known species with a vestigial anus. (Biologically produced plasma grenades/emergency energy supply for plasma weapons, max hold limit 3, new one produced every ~12 hours.)

Chiwen Tech Savant: One of the less radical genetic modifications the Chiwen have made to themselves is to favor intellect over physical prowess. That combined with good old cultural eugenics of certain traits and skills being highly attractive have pushed the species toward great inborn talent with technology of all sorts. Norb is no exception to this. No matter where it comes from, no matter how primitive or advanced or alien it might be, he has a knack for figuring out how something works, how to break it, how to fix it, and how to hack it. Give him some time and supplies and he can probably come up with ways to improve it, too. (Bonus to all use of tech.)
--Customized Chiwen Multitool (Rank 2): Many races have created tools that can be altered on the fly to fill many uses, and of course the Chiwen have done so. They are among those who have declared mastery of this nice little utility tech, for they (as with some other species) discovered the secrets to making the tool respond to the needs of the user without any physical input. What this means in less mystical terms is that these tools are made of special metal and treated by powerful telepaths to make them quite literally sense the tool needs of the wielder and morph to fit them. It's fancy and impresses the primitives, but it's simple enough that the most tech-savvy species take it for granted as a norm, and the Chiwen rank among them. Norb has such a tool and as such doesn't need to lug around a giant tool kit, but what makes his special is that he has modified it to also be capable of delivering a powerful electrical jolt to something it touches; it can be used to overload electrical systems or as an antipersonnel weapon. Though it's something of a downgrade of the fuel's potential, Norb added on a port so that plasma energy cells can be used to power the thing at need, and each zap takes about as much energy as a plasma pistol shot. (Multitool that negates the need for other tools but provides no special bonus to tech things, has electrical zapping ability for overloading electronics or shocking people.)
--Adaptive Engineering (Rank 3): Norb has gotten used to lacking all the parts and time he would like, and as such he has figured out many ways to speed things up and to make do with what is on hand. He carries a lot of odds and ends with him out of habit, and they are usually enough to get by with thanks to his particular talents. Some notable useful things he can do that others would find nigh impossible includes tinkering with energy input interfaces to turn them into plasma energy adapters so they can use that instead of whatever they were built to work with, repairing machines by welding together bits of scrap, and building all manner of useful gadgets on the fly. As long as he's carrying some metal, wires, and a few other choice bits (or can cannibalize other objects to get them), Norb can make, alter, repair, or upgrade pretty much anything. (MacGyver type skills with all manner of technology.)

Old Melty: No self-respecting Chiwen would go out into the cold and unforgiving universe without some kind of weapon, ideally a Chiwen-made plasma blaster of some sort, and Norb does indeed respect himself. Old Melty is the modern iteration of what was the first plasma rifle Norb ever built, but it has had so many repairs, replacements, and upgrades that none of the original components remain so it's hard to call it the same gun. Even so, Old Melty is an old friend and companion to Norb, and he never goes anywhere without it. It's a rifle sized for a Chiwen (meaning that in size it's about half the size of a human rifle), but it packs all the punch of a larger gun without any loss of structural integrity or added kickback or danger of exploding horribly in Norb's hands. It doesn't look pretty, all of cobbled parts from different sources, but it fires bolts of plasma that can melt through organic material and most metals with the same ease, so it gets the job done.

Equipment List: Chiwen Pellets (stored in an internal organ, 3 max storage capacity)
Customized Chiwen Multitool
Old Melty (plasma rifle)
3 Plasma Rifle Energy Cells (ammo for the above, 12 shots each)
Techie Leathers (worn clothing)
4 Pouches of assorted bits (wires, scrap metal, fasteners, and other assorted detritus that could be found around a workshop; used for Adaptive Engineering trait)

Signature: Jorick still agrees to the murder clause.
Approved.

The suit is a trait, it's the Mechanized Infantry trait. The trait doesn't apply if he doesn't wear the suit.

I suppose I can edit it to be a little more clear that the trait is the suit itself.

Last edited:
The suit is a trait, it's the Mechanized Infantry trait. The trait doesn't apply if he doesn't wear the suit.
Thing is though, each trait point is giving a +1 stat, then you want the other bonuses attached with that--the aim assist, anti-telepathy, et cetera. I've been generally trying to make the +1 to a stat for a trait an equal exchange--one trait point, one stat point. Nothing more, nothing less.

So if you drop one of the +1 stat points on traits 3-4-5, to replace it with the suit's other capabilities, I can approve it in good conscience. Otherwise, I'll be giving you an edge that I haven't allowed others. :ferret:

Aim assist is part of the marksman, anti-telepathy is natural because of the metal helmet is it not (wouldn't anything that encompasses the head work?), increased carrying load is the strength part, and the additional armor is the survival part. I figured night/thermal and built-in coms would just be a natural part of most modern helmet tech.

• Thank You
Reactions: Brovo
Aim assist is part of the marksman, anti-telepathy is natural because of the metal helmet is it not (wouldn't anything that encompasses the head work?), increased carrying load is the strength part, and the additional armor is the survival part. I figured night/thermal and built-in coms would just be a natural part of most modern helmet tech.
Ah, my bad then, because I thought those were other bonuses atop the stat bonuses. Okay. Nevermind, you're all good, approved.

Nevermind, all good then. Just a side note about the helmet thing: Trained telepaths can easily pierce the helmet barrier. The note is primarily for untrained telepaths living day-to-day life.

Alright, Brovo. I changed my trait to Built For Combat, giving Libero +1 to Agility, and took the +2 survival stat boost from Silk Skin down to +1.

Status
Not open for further replies.