Collateral ( A Super Hero RP with Consequences) IC

Ian Booker and Matthew Harris

Ian knew that shadow manipulation was a common power, but he decided to not comment on it. He was sure that if John was smart enough, he could piece things together.

There was a lot to be said about him glancing at Dream, but he did leave some room for mystery, even if it was just a thing as simple as who his father was. There was very little in the world that were exactly like him, but then again, maybe that was a good thing. He had to wonder if it was a good or bad thing to keep secrets though.

" Revolution and change has never happened by people following the rules. If anything, Myst is drawing from both the history of the world and the history of meta-humans. All the laws came from some of protest. Things don't often change legally and that's the sad truth."

Ian would listen to him. He had heard some of this from the grapevine. " I do have to wonder how the three fused into one got that way though. I feel like each time we get a piece of the mystery, we gain another question, but then again such is life. Life is just a serious of answered and unanswered questions, but it does add up when we have the cryokinetic and fire wielder and the shapeshifter. Of course, if I remember much about Logan, his villain name is the Golden Distraction. Which does make me wonder, what was the murder supposed to be distracting us from and should we worried about it? I feel like the answer might be yes to both questions though. But that seems like a problem that we will have to deal with at a later point in time. Right now, our focus should be about finding those files and stopping the crimes before they happen. Nothing else really matters at the moment," he replied, wondering how much longer they would be waiting for Reed for. Somehow he guessed it wouldn't be a very long amount of time.

Matthew would be fidgeting around the room when he heard the door disengage. Damn, he was hoping to beat the current level of Candy Crush that he had been playing before He would look over at Reed, not sure how the man was tall, yet still a bit shorter than him. This was his first time meeting Reed.

Damn, he wondered how his suit had gotten so messed up. Matthew couldn't imagine how much the dry cleaning bill was going to be for the suit as he looked back at him. He wondered how come the man was looking over at Emerald Dream, but then again, she did have more of a connection to John then he did. It wasn't that he didn't want a connection, it was more that he had a harder time forging them than most.

Matthew was pretty sure they were early.

Ian would look over at him and had to wonder how everything had happened so quickly; He did have to admit one thing, the mercenary made a good point. There was nothing that they could do without him.

Matthew would go back to his phone and playing his game of Candy Crush, finally beating his current level.

Ian would take the moment to check his phone and pause about something. " Hmmm... that's certainly something I'll mention to them later.... unless....."

Matthew would take the moment to look over at Ian. He wondered what he had found out and used his speed to look over his shoulder. However, he wouldn't be able to understand what was written as the text was encoded. He frowned, wondering why Ian had encoded texts on his phone or for that matter, what was the encoded text telling him?

Matthew looked over at him. " I mean, I've never seen someone wear a suit that good looking. I can see why he responds well to you, you have a certain amount of charm to you." Okay, so maybe Matthew found both John and Reed a touch attractive, but he could say the same for Dream and even Ian. He would wait outside with Ian.

Colton Blake, Catherine Harris and Morgan Jones/ Figment

Catherine looked back at her and offered a smile. It felt good to be listened too, even if it was only about her own fears and not as much as the cases or even the heroes.

Catherine figured that vendetta was the right word to use here. Her ex-husband had gained a load of vendettas from both personal and business demons. Though she had to wonder what Nicholas had to gain from working with a woman who was causing more problems than most. " I find it funny that even as we evolve a society, things don't change. They stay static. There's no telling if she's doing it to show that the rules are broken or that the man who made them are flawed. Though, I feel like Dean Chambers would be a better authority to vet any claims. But I'm not sure where he is at the moment."

Colton didn't disagree with what Valerie was saying. In the current state of things, a man coming back from the dead and coming here seems suspicious. He had to wonder why Morgan would fake his own death.... but then again, maybe it wasn't that though. Perhaps.... just maybe.

Colton would look at her. " Well, as the name Jones imply, he's Layla Jones, younger brother. Though he was a hero before. Figment, he could make anything he imagined, though they were often flawed."

"
Is anyone in there?" Morgan asked in a British accent.

@Astroblaze @Gands @Huntress

JohnR
Reed
John Reidenbach/Spectre | Reed Overton/Agent Fury
April 3, 2018 | afternoon | Brooklyn, NYC—warehouse yard

Emerald Dream (@Gands), Agent Fury (@Astroblaze)
Twiggy (@LuckycoolHawk9)

Spectre wasn't exactly known for his social prowess, but even he could tell that Twiggy had just flirted with him... and Fury, simultaneously. Suddenly feeling very aware of his own straightness, the vigilante awkwardly decided not to comment, instead continuing on his chosen trajectory.

As he seated himself stiffly before Fury's desk, he was surprised to find Emerald Dream taking the seat beside him. He glanced to her, feeling conflicted: on the one hand, he was grateful for her company, but on the other, he didn't want her in such a potentially volatile situation. He murmured a brief affirmative to her explanation, wishing that she had caught him outside the office to say that so that Fury didn't overhear, regardless of the mercenary already knowing that. He could only hope she knew what she was doing; the last time they had worked together against Fury, it hadn't exactly been a diplomatic experience. Plus, he had gotten away, which counted in Spectre's book as the mercenary having won the engagement.

Agent Fury leaned back in his chair, folding his arms as violet eyes scanned the two heroes with a smug grin. "Well, would'ja look at this," he sneered. "Local white knight and his darling dame here in my office. I thought you people didn't work with people like me."

"The circumstances aren't exactly ordinary," Spectre responded tightly, doing his best not to rise to the merc's taunts.

"Agent Fury, so nice to finally meet you. I only know you by your carefully crafted reputation. I know, these files almost weren't in your grasp. That flying mentalist might be more of a bad guy than you are. From the press that I have read, money is a frequent motivator for you, so without wanting to spoil your moment, what will this cost us? With perhaps a bonus for any insight on mentalist guy."

Regarding body language, Emerald seems very comfy dealing with Fury, bad guy or not.

Valerie
Valerie Newmann
April 3, 2018 | afternoon | Manhattan, NYC—The Nook

Colton (@LuckycoolHawk9)
Layla (@LuckycoolHawk9), John/Spectre (@Astroblaze), Morgan (@LuckycoolHawk9), Wildfire (@LuckycoolHawk9)

Layla Jones? Valerie didn't recognize the name. Maybe John would, though; she'd have to ask him later when they reunited. Colton's words, meanwhile, only made her more skeptical.

"'Flawed'?" she repeated. "Like, for example, a British accent in the middle of New York City?" She shook her head, lips tightening in a grimace. "This whole thing gives me seriously bad vibes. I wouldn't let him in."

After a moment's hesitation, she reluctantly offered a conceding shrug. "Of course, I'm not in charge here. Just..." She lowered her voice, wary of the man outside overhearing. "We're in a very compromised position, with all these critical documents lying exposed and an unconscious mind-controlled metahuman in the corner—" she inclined her head toward the booths against the far wall— "not to mention that out of all half-dozen of us, you're the only meta, i.e. the only one with adequate force to effectively stave him off if he turns hostile."

Last edited:
Felicity
Lexi
Samuel
Felicity Alerio | Alexandra Kalomoira | Samuel Alerio
April 3, 2018 | late afternoon | Queens, NYC—Samuel's home

collab with @Gands
Emerald Dream (@Gands)

As Felicity had hoped it would, a hot shower helped warm her up and soothe the muscles left sore and bruised from the impact of the water jet and the ground. Dressed in a clean and dry set of clothes, she wandered down the hall, fluffing her wavy brown hair dry with a hand towel, and found her brother in the kitchen. His large, spindly hands still trembled slightly as he set the ancient white kettle on the stove and turned the burner to high, but he seemed at least marginally better than he had been when she had left him curled up on the couch in the living room.

Samuel glanced to her as she rested her shoulder on the entrance frame, pale blue eyes finding her hazels for a moment. "I think your phone rang while you were in the shower," he commented simply as he took a tea bag from the jar on the counter and a mug from the cabinet overhead. "Do you want some?" he added, gesturing to the kettle.

"Sure," Felicity agreed.

Stepping back into the foyer, she retrieved her phone from the table by the door. When she turned it on, sure enough, a missed call notification popped up on the lock screen, labeled with a familiar name.

"It's Lexi," she called back to him as she swiped open the notification. Wandering into the living room, she plopped down on the couch, setting one foot on the coffee table and hugging the opposite knee as she listened to the dial tones.

"Hey there! How are you?" Her voice sounded cheerful.

Felicity absently rubbed her bruised shoulder with her free hand. "I'm okay. How about you?"

"Me? I have been watching the riot on tv all afternoon. I saw you and your brother. Some guy was about to do something to you when that green super chick bopped him. Outside of that, bored to tears. You sure you are okay?" Lexi was drapped unnaturally on her little couch as she spoke.

Felicity shrugged. "Well, my shoulders are kinda banged up, but other than that, yeah, I'm good." Glancing over her shoulder, she leaned in, lowering her voice. "It's Sammy I'm worried about. You know how he gets with this kinda thing. He's better than he was when I got in the shower, but he still seems kinda shaken."

"Well, I'd come over and hang out, but he and I aren't exactly close." Lexi turns on the camera phone option on her cell phone, so that Felicity can see her face. A rare picture of the teenager without her sunglasses on. "But if you'd like I can hop onto the scooter and head that way?"

Felicity immediately reciprocated with her own camera and gave Lexi a bright grin, though wondering in the back of her mind if her lingering exhaustion and worry was visible. "You can if you want. I'm not sure what he's planning to do, but I doubt we're going anywhere for a while." A thin, keening whistle rose from the kitchen behind her, fading out with a click into clinking and shuffling. "I've got my car; maybe we could head over to the cafe?"

This gave Lexi a visible grin. "Sounds cool, I can have a bite with a celebrity!" She snarked playfully. "Use the side entrance by the house, Dad is working late tonight and I'll wait for you."

Felicity couldn't help a giggle at her friend's antics. "Alright. I'll be there in a flash. See ya."

With that, she ended the call and got up from the couch, wandering back into the kitchen. The teen noticed her brightly patterned travel mug already set on the counter, a light wisp of steam rising from its lidless mouth and the tag of her favorite spice tea hanging over the lip.

Samuel glanced up from stirring a generous spoonful of honey into his own mug. "So you and Lexi are going into town?" Something seemed off about his tone: even softer than usual, with a hint of unsteadiness, perhaps.

Felicity took her mug from the counter, smiling as she breathed in the familiar fruity aroma. "Yeah. We'll probably just be out for a couple hours, but it has been a bit since we've gotten to hang out. We've got a lot to catch up on."

Samuel just nodded quietly, turning back to his tea.

Lifting her gaze to him, Felicity noticed that his shoulders were tense, brow knitted tightly over pale blue eyes and fingers trembling against the ceramic mug. Sighing, she laid a reassuring hand on his arm. "I'll be fine. Lexi and I will look out for each other, like we always do."

Samuel just turned and pulled her into a hug, resting his chin on her head with a quiet breath.

Felicity wrapped her arms around his thin frame in return. "I'll be fine, Sammy. I promise."

Her brother just held her more tightly. "Just... after this afternoon... please be careful. Don't do anything brash. I can't..."

Felicity patted him on the back reassuringly. "I won't."

Reactions: Huntress and Gands
Colton Blake, Catherine Harris and Morgan Jones/Figment, enter Angelo Rose

Catherine would not open the door, opting to remain silent, finding that Colton made a point, they had no clue where the shapeshifter was. "Not knowing where the shapeshifter was is very problematic."

Colton would ponder for a second,. " Yes, that is a great example of a flaw in Figment's powers, though, it does leave the question. How can a creation of his exist when the man himself is long dead? Unless, it does think it is him."

" Honestly, I think you are right about the situation. I'm the only one with powers here, we should only let in people we know who also know about the case, but we have to also be on our guard. We don't know who the shifter is currently pretending to be."

Morgan awkwardly stood outside, looking around, before he noticed the reporter who was looking at him. Goddamn it, it was Angelo Rose. Didn't he have like anything else to cover? "
Well, I was coming here to do interviews about the murder or the files, but now I have a different story, hero back from the dead, seems like front page stuff to me."

Colton just sighed. " Angelo always find the worst times to show up."

@Astroblaze @Gands @Huntress

Reactions: Gands
Valerie
Valerie Newmann
April 3, 2018 | late afternoon | Manhattan, NYC—The Nook

Colton (@LuckycoolHawk9), Victoria (@Gands)
Morgan (@LuckycoolHawk9), Logan (@LuckycoolHawk9), Angelo (@LuckycoolHawk9), Spectre (@Astroblaze), Agent Fury (@Astroblaze), Emerald Dream (@Gands)

Valerie pursed her lips, considering Colton's remarks. "Huh. It's possible." She shrugged. "I've seen stranger. Depends on how dependent his figments are on him." She frowned at his closing comment. "Oh right, Logan. With everything else going on, he completely slipped my mind," she admitted.

Glancing warily to the locked front entrance at another, much more familiar voice, she groaned, dropping her head into her hand. "Oh, goddamnit. Not letting him in, either."

The alarm bells that her father had painstakingly ensured were well-calibrated and in tune had been going off with increasing fervor ever since Morgan's first knock and call, and it was really starting to worry the woman. She found herself drawing her phone from her pocket, halfway inclined to text Spectre and let him know what was going on, but... She stared at the blank screen, brow furrowed. He was surely deep in negotiations with Agent Fury at this point—especially given the text that Victoria had received from Emerald Dream just a moment ago—and the last thing he needed was a distraction. 'Best not to interrupt,' she decided, returning her phone to her pocket.

She scanned the documents scattered across the table. "Let's get these organized and put away. I'm really not liking the vulnerability of our current position." Fortunately, she had just about succeeded in separating out the three files from two of the folders, though she hadn't put each set in order just yet. She glanced over to where Victoria was working on the same. "Vick, how are you doing?"

JohnR
Reed

Emerald Dream (@Gands)
Icarus (@slifer), Vengeance (@jeshem)

Spectre couldn't help an admiring glance to Dream at the calm confidence clear in her tone. The heroine never ceased to amaze him.

Fury seemed fairly impressed as well, painted eyebrows rising before his mouth widened in a grin. "Hey, this one knows what she's doing," he joked, slinging an elbow over the back of his chair and shooting her a wink. He chuckled at her remark about Vengeance, shaking his head slightly as he recalled the events of the last few hours. "You're tellin' me, sweetheart?" A hint of grit crept into his voice as he spoke, irritation radiating from a momentarily stiff posture and overly tight jaw.

His attention returned to her as she continued, the mercenary scoffing slightly to himself in amusement. "Fair enough," he shrugged, glancing instinctively to the clock on the far wall—he didn't want to lose track of time, not with Icarus waiting.

The grin returned in full force as his gaze lowered to Spectre. "As much fun as you make baiting you—" Spectre shot him a bemused eyebrow, which he ignored— "I've got places to be. So tell you what: I'll cut you some slack." He leaned forward, piercing eyes studying their every move. "Eighty thousand dollars. That's how much your precious documents are worth."

Spectre's eyes shuttered in exasperation, a bandaged hand lifting to pinch the bridge of his nose. "Of course you did..."

The mercenary's grin only widened. "Listen, I went through a lot of trouble to get these fucking things—significantly more than I anticipated—"

"How generous of you," Spectre interjected dryly.

Fury continued as if he hadn't spoken— "and I expect compensation for my efforts."

Spectre folded his arms, quirking a skeptical eyebrow at the mercenary. "You're still charging more than they're worth."

Fury mimicked the expression with a smug smirk. "Oh? What are they worth to you?"

He chuckled at the mutant's stony silence. "You can't bluff me out, Ghost-man. I know you need these documents, and you've given me no reason to be more generous, as you put it." He spread his hands in invitation. "Though if you want to pay me extra for the lowdown on mister White Knight, I'm all open. I'm not exactly inclined to do that sack o' shit any favors after the runaround he put me on." His grin turned positively ferocious. "Better believe he's getting the full force of these guns when I see him again." He flexed one corded arm, sending a ripple of raw power through the inked bicep and shoulder.

Nobody had quite noticed something small waddle its way behind Reed, as it had kept quiet. It had attempted to follow Icarus, but it had lost him very quickly, as the man seemed to love jumping through trees, making him harder to follow. The penguin had decided to follow the scarier man, shifting to his human form and then back when he thought Reed could see him. He had managed to slide his way into the room, looking over at the files.

He would tug at Reed's pants legs. Him using his power slightly scared him and he was worried that he had found trouble. He didn't want that. Should he maybe shift into his human form for his new dad? He decided against it, looking to see if Reed reacted to him.

@Astroblaze @Gands

At Fury's warehouse HQ
Emerald Dream

Vanessa was listening to Fury discuss the matter with Spector. It was really all noise to her though. There were lives at stake. Fury was right, the good guys needed these files. She pulled out a credit card. An American Express Black card. There was no personal name on it, but the company name of Victoria Murphy's attorney firm and E. Dream.
She called Victoria to let her know the card was being used and for how much.

As the two men were talking, she quietly put the card out in front of herself.

"A couple of things Agent Fury, First, I agree to your terms. Second, I'll need a receipt. Third, include an extra $10,000 for a detailed report on the mentalist please. You can send that tomorrow if it is convenient."

Both men will notice Emerald Dream tilt her head to watch a penguin walking up to Fury with an odd expression.

" The reports if you please Agent Fury, lives are in the balance, If someone could get back to where the meeting was, there seems to be a situation developing there. (She is looking at the speedster. )

At the Nook
Victoria Murphy

Victoria is really mostly having her head in the file documents, working hard to unravel the code. She was making irritatingly slow progress. She has noticed people talking about people at the door, but she felt she couldn't be bothered about that at the moment. She did notice her friend Valerie pulling out and checking her gun. That did get her attention.

" I don't think it is a good idea to let anyone in who shouldn't be here. No Angelo either, his job is to get information, and publish it. We neither have time, nor should we have the inclination to bother with the press at the moment. Val, maybe slip them one of our cards under the door and tell them to go away ? "

Then she gets the phone call from her sister.

"Yes, I understand, go ahead and use it. How much ? Alright. Send me a picture of the receipt the moment you get it. Thanks. I will contact the card company after that. "

Icarus Valaith and Felix Valaith
NYC, Heading Home/Bay Ridge, Brooklyn
Today had been frightening, especially scary, and personally, Icarus was glad that he had a break from his feelings, especially as Reed was going to take him out on a date, as well as some other...extracurricular activities that were set to occur. All Felix knew was that Icarus was going to be out late with Reed, and all Reed knew was that they had time for a decent date. It didn't take that long for Icarus to find a hiding spot with Felix, for him to put on something normal for the train, and for them to get their asses towards home. It was always a relief to come back to their apartment, one he had managed to snag in a decent neighborhood, in a decent part of New York.

As always, he went in first- a slight purple haze around him as he placed a translucent shield around him- still thick, but see through. Leading Felix up the stairs, he went slowly but surely- paranoia was in his blood, and he wasn't about to get ambushed in his own home. Finally, he made it to his apartment after going up a flight of stairs. Taking out his keys, he swiftly opened the door, leading the way inside. He took a glance in every room, making sure they were empty before relaxing, his home as safe as it could be. Though if Spectre or anyone else with powers such as him came into his abode or was waiting for him without his approval would be met with extreme prejudice.

He returned to Felix, reaching for his wallet and passing money to his younger brother. "Get some food for yourself when I leave. Right now, I'll be taking a quick nap and a shower to get ready for the date." Icarus looked pleased at the thought, making Felix give him a pretend disgusted look. Reed was alright....but he couldn't really like the man, knowing that the only reason he was polite was because he was Icarus's younger brother, and because he was getting paid. He couldn't accept Reed in the least, mainly because there was money involved. Did Reed like Icarus for real? He wasn't sure, meaning that Reed was a weirdo that Icarus liked.

Either way, about an hour later, Felix was out the door with a surprisingly nice looking Icarus, who looked like he had actually tried to dress himself up the best as he could. He had clearly showered, wore his favorite cologne, and even had his expensive date outfit on- his nice sweater/shirt/polo thing with his best jeans and dress shoes. Icarus hugged him goodbye, and watched Icarus walk his way to the bus, a pep in his older brother's step before taking his own keys and wallet, walking outside, locking the door and heading off to the grocery store.

JohnR
Reed

Emerald Dream (@Gands), Valerie (@Astroblaze), Derrick (@LuckycoolHawk9)
Icarus (@slifer)

Admittedly, Fury wasn't fond of payment methods outside of straight cash—anything other than that could be traced much more easily, after all—but with this sitting right in front of him and Icarus waiting, he didn't feel like haggling anymore. His finance guy could handle scrubbing the money trail.

"Well, how could I say 'no' to an offer like that?" he chuckled, taking the card from the heroine's hand. With a flick of his wrist, he spun a notepad with a pen laid across its open pages across the desk to her before writing out her card details on another. "Jot down how you want me to contact you. I'll write you an email."

And that seemed to be the end of it. Spectre, warily monitoring the mercenary's posture in case he had miscalculated the situation, cautiously reached out and lifted the case files from where they lay unattended on the desk. Fury glanced up briefly at his movement, but made no attempt to stop him. Unfolding first one, then the other, he flipped through the loose pages within the envelopes. There was no evident rhyme or reason to the order of the pages and they almost read as completely disconnected from each other—in other words, they presented exactly as expected, and according to some familiar details, they appeared to be legitimate.

Tucking the folders securely under one arm, he took his phone from his belt and shot a quick text to Val: "We have the documents. We'll be back with you all shortly."

Fury had just torn off and tucked the paper slip with Dream's information into an inner pocket of his vest when he felt a tug on his pantleg. Quirking a curious eyebrow, he glanced down to the source, only to sigh and pinch the bridge of his nose upon sight of a familiar penguin staring up at him expectantly. How had Derrick even gotten in here? It was as though the goddamn sentient zoo exhibit had imprinted on him, or whatever the fuck birds did.

"What part of 'fly be free' didn't compute for you? I've got nothing more for you. Go, shoo." He waved his hands at Derrick in a shooing motion.

Glancing up at the seemingly out-of-the-blue complaint, Spectre raised a skeptical eyebrow at the mercenary.

Seeing that the creature wasn't about to just go away, Fury sighed and grasped the bird under his wings, his calloused hands practically enveloping the little creature. He lifted Derrick over the desk, offering him to Spectre. "Oh, and would you like a penguin with your documents? You don't have to pay me for him, just take him. He's been following me around since the zoo and I sure as hell don't know what to do with him."

Spectre frowned, his confusion blatant in his furrowed brow. "A penguin."

"Shapeshifter," Fury explained. "Pretty new to the world, too. Calls himself Derrick."

Spectre was skeptical, but well, he had seen weirder. After all, one heroine he had crossed paths with time and again back when he was still adjusting to his then-new powers had essentially been a cat furry. Besides, this didn't sound like the sort of prank Fury would be inclined to pull.

Last edited:
Valerie
Valerie Newmann
April 3, 2018 | late afternoon | Manhattan, NYC—the Nook

Spectre (@Astroblaze), Victoria (@Gands)
Emerald Dream (@Gands), Agent Fury (@Astroblaze), Angelo Rose (@LuckycoolHawk9), Morgan (@LuckycoolHawk9)

Looking around the table, Valerie noticed Victoria answer her phone, the lawyer evidently talking with Emerald Dream. It sounded like things were working out with Agent Fury, thank God—hopefully not too painfully; the mercenary could be an absolute ass when he wanted to be.

Right on cue, her phone buzzed with a text from Spectre: "We have the documents. We'll be back with you all shortly."

"great," she texted him back. "kinda wish you were here rn anyhow. got some unwanted visitors"

Considering Victoria's suggestion, she pursed her lips hesitantly. "That's not a bad idea," she conceded, "but it might not be wise to let them know that we're in here at all, at least until the heroes get back and can back us up if needed."

Vanessa O'Toole / Emerald Dream

As Fury was producing a receipt for her expense account, Nessa sent another quick text back to Victoria.

{Achieved objective. Check films of Zoo for a penguin. Possible we have same here, prior target of reprehensible individual handing out samples at park.}

"Spectre, I can take the Penguin, it's possible that it might have some tale to tell. "

She turns back to Fury...

"Thank you Mister Fury. I would like to look down on you because of how and why you do what you do. But I have access to funds. Let me know if you find it acceptable for ongoing contracts in the future. I feel that myself and my allies may need all the help we can get. I included a phone number with the email drop box information. "

With that, she reaches over to take the hapless penguin gently looking over at Spector with an obvious lets get a move on expression.

"Hello Derrick? You can call me Dream. "

@LuckycoolHawk9. @Astroblaze @slifer

Victoria Murphy

Victoria had gone back to studying the few files that they had. It seemed like each page was coded differently. She mad in effort to put the disturbing thoughts of the people outside way to the back of her mind.

It was about then she received another text from Nessa. This produced a sigh as she took a break from her aggravating project to look through the drone zoo footage. There did not seem to be any penguins. But there was a man, someone the flying mentalist had flown off with. She captured a photo for Vanessa and ran it into the expensive facial recognition app.

JohnR
Reed
April 3, 2018 | late afternoon | Brooklyn, NYC—warehouse yard

Emerald Dream (@Gands), Derrick (@LuckycoolHawk9)

However, the more insistently Dream tried to lift Derrick from Fury's hands, the more tightly the penguin clung to the mercenary. Spectre frowned, confused by the shifter's overt lack of desire to be separated from the man. "It looks like we couldn't separate him from you if we tried." Well, that wasn't completely true: he could turn Derrick intangible so he was unable to get a grip on Fury. The experience would likely frighten the poor thing, but he'd be safer with them than with a capricious mercenary...

Fury glanced down to the distressed shifter clutching at his arms and shook his head with a sigh and a muttered "Goddamnit." Before Spectre could reach out to help Dream, he abruptly snatched Derrick away from them. "Oh fuck it- nevermind, I'm keeping him. He'll probably just end up chasing me down anyway." Twisting away from the desk, the mercenary plopped the penguin none-too-gently right back on the floor at his feet. "You stay put," he snapped. "I'll deal with you in a minute."

Spectre noted with no small degree of concern for the hapless penguin the irritation visible in the metahuman's dark eyes, but before he could intervene, Emerald Dream spoke up. His head snapped toward the heroine, brilliant green eyes wide in shock at her offer to Fury. "Dream-"

He was interrupted by a low, deep chuckle from the mercenary. Agent Fury had propped his elbows on the desk and rested his chin on his interlaced fingers, his grin broadening by the moment. "So what you're saying, sweetheart, is that you need me." He chuckled again, shaking his head to himself. "Ah, all you hero-types think you're so superior, but at the end of the day, it's folk like me who actually get shit done. Don't sweat it," he reassured her, though the condescension in his eyes as he scanned the heroine gave away the mock in his comments. "It ain't no big thing to ask for help from someone better than you."

Spectre visibly stiffened, eyes hardening for a moment before he was able to rein in his emotions. The flare of the mutant's hackles, though brief, was not lost on Fury. The mercenary's gaze flickered over Spectre in turn, quirking an eyebrow at him with a smirk—it didn't take being straight to know what was up between the two heroes. Spectre briefly met his eyes, keeping his expression carefully neutral though he honestly wanted to sock the arrogant meta in the nose at that moment.

Emerald Dream / Vanessa O'Toole

Dream was still looking at Fury as he was playing superior. Her expression didn't change. She chuckled a bit.

" You don't disappoint expectations do you mister Fury. I do think you are smart, tough and strong, and despite everything, I do think this town will need you before the end. Do I think I am better or you are ? That rather depends on what task we are doing. Each of us has our gifts. That being said, you make a big effort so that people won't like you. I suspect a defense mechanism, or as others might think, you're just an ass. Either way, you have an excellent reputation for a fighter and survivor. You may not be on my invite to a party list Fury. But I'd rather have you on my side in a fight regardless. Until next time. "

She looks at Specter now, her facial expression calm and pleasant to her friend, and for a brief moment at the penguin.
" You ready to go Specter ? "

Icarus Valaith - Brooklyn, NY,
Heading towards his date

Of course Icarus watched the bus roll away as he ran down the street. It was that kind of day- the kind that peppered in a lot of bad moments to try and ruin a day that was supposed to be great. He was going to meet Reed, and they were going to eat dinner together! Unfortunately his extra meeting had been changed for right after their date, but that was alright, as he was sure he could eat his weight in food from how much he used his powers.

Icarus changed course quickly, racing off into a side street that wasn't filled with people, racing at a tree with full force. One second he was there, the next he was 500 ft away in front of a new tree, not feeling the shift as his powers teleported him to another tree. It took two more shifts, thinking of the direction he needed to go before placing absolute trust in his powers again and again. They hadn't failed him before, and they didn't fail him again, depositing him close enough to the station that he could run on the line waiting to get on the bus. He claimed a seat by the back of the bus and went to thinking on what he should bring to Reed. Flowers were kind of cliched, but he could make them mean something, while being beautiful and probably worth more than Reed's warehouse. Money was awesome to have, and before the unspeakable had happened, he had been given access to plants that were incredibly rare as well as incredibly dangerous. Fruit baskets weren't quite that romantic, and chocolate covered strawberries were a bit too romantic.

When he was close to their meetup spot, Icarus hunted around for a shop selling flowers. He bought the biggest bouquet and started to manipulate the flowers inside to make them what he wanted, of course doing it on the sly while walking. Plants calmed him down, and using his powers to make impossible beauty calmed down the butterflies in his stomach. In the center of the bouquet was the Middlemist Red Camellia, which only had grown in two places in the world. In the middle of that was a small circle of Rothschild Slipper Orchids. Around that was a small circle of Franklin Roses, and outside of that was filled with Juliet Roses. Satisfied with what he had, even though he was unsure if Reed would even notice how valuable the bouquet was, he continued on. Now, in theory he could make a ton of money with replicating such valuable flowers, but that was something for him and him alone to enjoy. Mass producing flowers like that only made his powers seem cheap and worthless, but Reed was worth any trouble that came with the special bouquet.

JohnR
Reed
April 3, 2018 | late afternoon | Brooklyn, NYC—warehouse yard

Emerald Dream (@Gands), Twiggy (@LuckycoolHawk9), Ian (@LuckycoolHawk9)
Valerie (@Astroblaze)

Fury, like Dream, maintained steady eye contact and expression for the entirety of her assessment, though with a brief skeptical eyebrow at "defense mechanism." Everyone sure liked to assume that he was just a petty bully—'hurt people hurt people' and all that. Can't a guy be a piece of shit just for the fun of it?

Spectre just barely managed to smother his admiration of Dream's calm in the face of Fury's arrogance. Perhaps the compliments weren't the best solution to his ego, however; he didn't exactly need the encouragement. He nodded affirmation to her question, shifting the files under his arm. "Val just texted me. We're needed back at base."

Ignoring Fury's smirk and smugly lazy farewell salute, the mutant turned and left the office to rejoin Twiggy and Ian in the outer room. "We have what we came for," he informed them, tapping the files. "Now it's time to head back."

Meanwhile, Fury had gotten up from his desk and strolled out of his office, pausing in the doorway to survey the grouped heroes, thumbs tucked in the pockets of his trousers. Noting that he'd gotten their attention, he smirked and sauntered straight to the seated Twiggy. Setting one hand on his hip and the other on his thigh, he bent down toward the speedster, well aware of how his person cast the other man entirely in shadow.

"Don't think I didn't hear you talking me up," he crooned, painted face splitting into a devilish grin. "Glad to hear my efforts are noticed—guess you lot aren't a lost cause after all." Violet eyes scanned Twiggy, blatantly checking him out. "You don't look too shabby yourself. Bit skinny for my taste, though." He winked and straightened, turning and strolling out the front door, leaving it ajar behind him.

Spectre had observed the entire interaction in a sort of stunned and incredulous silence. Fury disappearing from view snapped him back to the present and he cleared his throat awkwardly. "Right, okay, um. Let's go."

Last edited: