1. Beginner
  2. Elementary
  3. Intermediate
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Fantasy, Adventure, Romance
Throughout history, man has ever been the most self-destructive of creatures. No species in all of Creation has ever refined the art of killing their brethren quite like Mankind. From ballistae to bombs, rifles to artillery rounds, man is eternally seeking a 'better death'. A better killer.

So tell me, reader. What happens when, instead of technology and science, man turns to the occult in this quest? What if, in his attempt to perfect the art of murder, mankind manages to wake something never meant to see the light of the sun again?

Such was the fate of the Cognoscenti. Originally a free-lancing group of international mercenaries devoted to the manufacture and sale of arms to the highest bidder, they eventually reached what they considered to be the pinnacle of technological might. Sonic weaponry, laser rifles, plasma... Their wares were in high demand.

And yet still, they wanted more. Something stronger. More deadly. They had exhausted their scientific options... so they began to explore the supernatural.

Sinful rituals, ancient rites best consigned to a forgotten corner of history. Blood sacrifices. Possession. More and more, the Cognoscenti hoarded knowledge of the occult much like they did arms; they also drew the attention of something far more horrifying than themselves.

From deep within the Space Between, the never-there, the unseen, came a man. Or at least, he seemed a man.

He called himself Iscariot, and he claimed to have the answer to all of their desires. What he brought, what he offered, we may never know the specifics. All we know is that, when the Cognoscenti unleashed it for the first time, Hell tore through onto Earth. The terrors they called forth ravaged the land and the populace, slaughtering millions within hours. Over the course of two weeks, called the Culling by the survivors, over 75% of mankind perished.

It was left to the remnants to pick up the pieces, and find a way to combat these otherworldly horror.

Hello, everyone, and thank you for perusing my short teaser for 'Cognoscenti', a Lovecraftian dystopia roleplay I've been tossing around for awhile now! The basic concept would be a small group of survivors banding together and attempting to find a way to fight the horrors called forth by the Cognoscenti, who now rule over the remnants of Old Earth with an iron fist. Those who rebel are slaughtered, tossed to feed the noneuclidean daemons called forth by whatever power granted them by the mysterious Iscariot!

It's somewhat of a work in progress, and I'd love to have a core group of dedicated people to join me in exploring the lore and helping it evolve and take on a life of its own!

Reactions: Fijoli
Character Guidelines
I'm not one to dictate what a character should or should not be. However, there are some basic guidelines I feel should be put forth in order to maintain the integrity of what my original vision for Cognoscenti was.

1. Your character cannot be directly aligned with Iscariot or the daemons.
Your character CAN, however, identify with them, sympathize with them, agree with them, or take advantage of the chaos. I am not discouraging villains, only preventing others from tying in with the Cognoscenti.

2. In terms of player characters, this is considered 'low-fantasy'.
Your character cannot summon the forces of nature to destroy a small army. You cannot call forth the thunderstorm, freeze a skyscraper, travel through time.
You can, however, have low-grade supernatural abilities. Basic magic, telekinesis, prescience or minor precognition. If you're not sure about a power/ability, send me a personal message to discuss it. Also, humans only.

That's it!

Combat
Player/Player combat is something I would like to avoid if I can. However, I understand that a lot of you absolutely adore it. Basic TB rules apply, with (and I'm preparing for hate right now) myself or another story guide having the final say on the victor. We will generally try to decide based upon which outcome would most positively affect the current storyline status.

Character Sheet
Below is the basic character sheet for Cognoscenti.
Code:
Name: [Self Explanatory]
Height: [Self Explanatory]
Weight: [Self Explanatory]
Eye Color: [Self Explanatory]
Hair Color: [Self Explanatory]

Physical Appearance: [Describe your character's appearance from a second person perspective.]

Weapon of Choice: [Self Explanatory]
Fighting Style: [Agile? Strong? Trained, or wild? Efficient, or showy?]

Personality/Background: [Self Explanatory]

Notable Achievements: [What makes your character special or notable? What have they done in their past?]

NOTE: Everything you submit in your character profile must be 100% hand-written. Please do not submit huge blocks of copied text.

The Protagonists

The Antagonists

Name: Iscariot, the Fall of Man
Height: ??
Weight: ??
Eye Color: ??
Hair Color: ??
Physical Appearance: ??
Weapon of Choice: ??
Fighting Style: ??
Personality/Background: No one is sure whether the being known as Iscariot is man or daemon, or something else entirely. The only common knowledge about him is that he holds dominion over Man from his citadel, erected in the center of [TBD].
Notable Achievements:

Hi! I really hope I haven't messed up your thread and it's okay to post.. if not I'm sorry and I'll delete this.. but I was wondering.. may I join? :]

Hi! I really hope I haven't messed up your thread and it's okay to post.. if not I'm sorry and I'll delete this.. but I was wondering.. may I join? :]
Absolutely! Simply fill out a character sheet to the best of your ability, we'll go over it, and if you're approved you'll be added to the Protagonist list!

Name: Herogachi
Height: 6-2
Weight: 150
Eye Color: green
Hair Color: Black

Physical Appearance: well built but not to much. He carries himself like he's high up in class. He where's red pants and a band around his head. His hair is down to the middle of his back and it covers his face a lot.

Weapon of Choice: spear
Fighting Style: Bokator

Personality/Background: Travelled all around the world learning all the different styles of Bokator. It is an ancient Cambodian martial art having its origins on the battlefield, its name literally translates to "pounding a lion". By using a diverse array of strikes and weapons it is known that Bokator has been responsible for numerous deaths. Herogachi was left by his family when he was very young. He has learned how to survive on his own. He keeps to him self mostly. really shy around the opposite sex.

Notable Achievements: Known in the art of Bokator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Name: Herogachi
Height: 6-2
Weight: 150
Hair Color: Black

Physical Appearance: well built but not to much

Weapon of Choice: spear
Fighting Style: Bokator

Personality/Background: Travelled all around the world learning all the different styles of Bokator. It is an ancient Cambodian martial art having its origins on the battlefield, its name literally translates to "pounding a lion". By using a diverse array of strikes and weapons it is known that Bokator has been responsible for numerous deaths. Herogachi was left by his family when he was very young. He has learned how to survive on his own. He keeps to him self mostly. really shy around the opposite sex.

Notable Achievements: Known in the art of Bokator.

The profile itself is sound; my only request is that you fill out the physical appearance with a bit more detail. Other than that, approved.

(I hope this is okay.. please let me know if I should change anything :] )
Name: Sepiroth Anramath Silencia
Height: 6'6
Weight: underweight
Hair Color: light blonde, however it went grey prematurely.
Physical Appearance: Sepiroth has long blonde-now white- hair that reaches down to his waist. He has long bangs that are parted and rest on ether side of his face, they highlight his narrow emerald green eyes. He's very pale with scars and burns littering his body. He's also rather underweight. But what makes Sepiroth himself is that he looks like a women, and is easily mistaken for one.

Weapon of Choice: gun
Fighting Style: I'd say a mixture between showy and agile..

Personality/Background: "I do not see why I should tell you, after all.. who would believe a mad man, hmm? Don't look at me like that, you could never hope to understand! Fine, I'll tell you!" he looks gloomy. "I was traumatised as a child.. all I want is.. to be a ballerina.." Sepiroth's past is pretty dark, it may or may not be revealed.. in terms of his personality he can be very cold and aloof, but also insane and cruel..

Notable Achievements: he's known for his satire writings 'Obey or die.' which parallel the current age.. other then that he has a really nice singing voice..

While I am loaded with rps, I would be willing to help you settle any combat disputes that may arise. Awesome idea! I hope to read some IC soon.

I'm interested in this, is there still space to join in?

I'll get to work in the character sheet after I get some sleep.