Coexistence

Status
Not open for further replies.
"How about not..." Kai responded to Aki's question as he pulled on his hood to cover his face. The angel's flustered response making him slightly upset. Though Kai just ignored it, knowing that Aki's intention wasn't to make him mad, so he sighed and let it go. It was kind of hard to get mad Aki, knowing how cheerful Aki was and his good intentions, it was kind of impossible. Although it did make him frustrated at times Kai tried not to let it get to him.

"H-hey!" Kai exclaimed when Aki grabbed his hand to drag him somewhere. What have I gotten myself into... Kai thought as he just followed Aki. When they neared a dock, Kai watched as Aki counted the boats and excitedly led him to what was a baby sea lion and it's mother between a giant wooden pole.

Kai stood by Aki and kept his distance as he watched the two sea lions and Aki interact. "Hm..." Kai remarked as he walked closer to the mother. He then bent down and examined her, looking into her eyes. To Kai, he noticed she was a half by seeing how she had a few different qualities from the shape of her fins. When Kai looked at her, he was calmer and his eyes held understanding, but also sadness. Slightly deep in thought, he looked into the water and saw his reflection of his two different eye colors. A half...

((XD I can tell that was intentional on your part))

(I realized I should have asked about Kai being pulled along before I did it. I apologize! O_O If I do that again, feel free to whack me. I won't mind ^_^

Also, not sure what you meant by the sea lion being half…is she a half-demon in disguise? XD I had these images of her suddenly turning into a sea-lion monster and attacking XD)

The mother sea lion wasn't bothered by Kai's examination, only curious about him. In the angel's presence, she felt none of her natural fear, and got close enough to sniff at the half-demon, before turning back to the angel. Aki was holding his hand in the water, stroking the baby, letting it swim around and under and nip curiously at his fingers.

"That tickles!" he laughed, his shining eyes looking over at Kai. That expression of laughter faded somewhat as the other boy's pensive look caught his attention. Aki scooted over next to him, still crouched on his haunches, his hand being played with by the squeaking baby sea-lion.

"Kai? What's wrong?" The angel tilted his golden head to one side. Having caught the other looking down into the water, Akiel wondered if it was his own reflection that troubled him. Kai wasn't looking at the mother or baby in that moment.

((Oh, no. It's fine ^^ and I thought you mentioned the sea lion was half domesticated? I didn't mean she was a half demon, but never mind. I mentioned her fins were different, I kinda meant she was mixed with another type of seal, but I just realized you mentioned domesticated. So... I feel kinda dumb now :P Should I edit that part of my post?))

Kai was drowned in his thoughts, his mind wandering back to the books that he had read, none about halves besides the fact that the off-springs would become undeveloped. He then began to wonder how many years it would take until he found any leads to answers and what he should do to deal with Varin. How troublesome... Kai thought to himself until he heard Aki calling him in the distance. "What?" Kai questioned, snapping out of his thoughts and turning to face Aki.

(That's awesome! I just wasn't sure XD And yeah, I think one of the fishermen took her in, so to speak, because she's a half. Or she could be 'half-formed', like she never grew her flippers out or something. Whatever you want. I like it!)

"You were thinking about something painful." Aki said, his wide eyes solemn. "Is it your eyes? You were looking at them in the water…" The angel wasn't a mind-reader, but he often got closer to the truth than was comfortable for those around him.

The mother sea lion nudged her playful calf, who then turned to nuzzle her, swimming in a little circle that sent ripples around their bodies. Aki turned to watch them for a bit, a thoughtful expression on his face.

((Alright ^^))

"It's nothing," Kai answered in a monotone as he got up. His shadow looming over Aki's. Without thinking, Kai put his hand on Aki's head as if to say that Aki didn't need to worry about someone like him and pulled his hand back instantly. He then turned around and faced in the opposite direction as he watched people pass by. "We're leaving," Kai said as he walked away from Aki, not realizing that he just said we're instead of I.

Aki looked up at him with wide eyes for a moment, as something warm passed between them. At least, on the angel's side. He wondered if Kai could also feel that rush of light between them, or if it was just his imagination. It felt nice, though.

As the half-demon started walking off, Aki scrambled to his feet, following him almost like a puppy. He felt concern about his new friend, as clearly something was bothering him, but didn't want Kai to get angry and storm off. Humans could be so sensitive, and Aki had to be careful. He wasn't exactly sure what had set Kai off.

"I guess maybe you didn't like the sea lions that much." he mused out loud, watching his new friend. "Maybe you just have to get used to them. They're always there, though, right in that spot, so you could go back if you wanted to. Mr. Blandings said the mother has a hard time swimming as far as other sea lions, so once in awhile he finds some fish for her." He rubbed his hands through his golden hair, messing it up adorably. "Her calf still loves her, though. I love to see them play together."

"I didn't hate it..." Kai mumbled as he began to think about visiting them when Aki wasn't around. He didn't hate animals specifically, but he also didn't like showing people his soft spot for animals. Especially not if they were going to laugh him.

"Do... You like animals?" Kai asked Aki hesitantly, thinking that maybe it would be alright since Aki seemed like the type of person to like animals. Maybe I shouldn't have asked that.... Kai thought regrettably, but shook his head now that he had already asked the question.

Yet another non-committal response- Kai seemed to like giving them, rather than saying what he thought. Or, maybe he just didn't like positives. In a way, "I didn't hate it" was kind of a positive. Aki noticed that about the boy, that he would say one thing and do another. The angel believed that was a 'teenager' thing. He would have to read between the lines a bit.

At the half-demon's next question, he smiled brightly. "I love animals!" he exclaimed. "Especially mammalian and avian creatures, since they're soft to touch. well, porcupines aren't, but their spines feel interesting. Reptiles and amphibians are nice, too, but not as warm or soft. I love petting them, and playing with them. But I especially love watching humans and their animals together, when you can tell they care about each other."

This little outburst of joy was brought on by positive emotions and thoughts, and the angel couldn't help rambling a little, because there were so many words bubbling up in his throat. Looking at the other boy, he clasped his hands behind his back, smiling. "Are there animals you like? Maybe not sea lions, but something else?"

Kai was surprised by Aki's sudden outburst, but smiled nonetheless. He was right that Aki loved animals and that made Kai's expression soften. He then began to wonder if that was how all angels were, or if it was just Aki. Maybe I'll ask him someday, Kai thought while thinking that now wasn't the best time to mention that he knew what Aki was. If Aki didn't know who he was, Kai figured it would be best if he didn't mention anything at all. Maybe the reason Aki was only being this way with him was because he thought he was a human and if he found out, he would think differently.

"I... Like animals," was all Kai said. He admitted he liked animals, but he wasn't about to admit the kinds of animals he liked. Animals fascinated him and he wouldn't mind spending his whole day watching how they lived or survived. To him, he didn't think animals were free. It was just a misconception to humans who say they wish they were free like the birds. No one is free in Kai's perspective. No matter how vast the skies are, there will always be a restraint on any living thing. No one is truly free in the corrupted world that they live in... And they probably never will be.

"Do you want to go... See some animals?" Kai suggested as he looked at Aki.

It was hardly to be wondered at that Akiel didn't know what his friend's true nature was. Very few of even the Archangels had ever seen the result of a successful breeding between humans and demons, meaning one that lasted for more than a few days or weeks. The monstrosities that usually resulted in such pairings were violent and destructive, but short-lived. Fewer still of those highest ranking of angels had seen a half-human, half-demon hybrid like Kai.

To Aki, there was something very dark about Kai, but to his knowledge that could have been anything; mental-illness, disease, trauma. Humans all had darkness, but they had light as well. All humans were born with that light, and only their own choices could utterly extinguish it. Even though he was just a half, Kai had light in him, inherited from his human parent. Unless he gave in fully to his demonic nature, that light would remain. Akiel was drawn to it, and perhaps partly because he felt it needed strength.

For some reason, Kai's answer made Aki very happy, as though finding more in common with the other boy was the best thing ever. "You do? What kinds?" As they walked past seaside shops, and the people who had come down to the wharfs, said people watched them interact with smiles on their faces. Aki was practically bouncing as he went, waving at those they passed like he knew them, stopping to pet dogs or look at birds. Light and cheer seemed to follow him, spreading outward in unseen sunny beams. The whole time, however, he never stopped listening to Kai, who was his main focus.

At Kai's suggestion that they go 'see some animals', the angel took his hand, squeezing it, eyes bright. "Oh, yes! Do you have some friends to show me?" He naturally assumed that was what the other meant by the hesitant invitation.

Kai ignored Aki's question and continued to walk ahead when Aki took his hand. "Friend?" He asked. "What do you mean by that?" Kai questioned as he tried to get his hands away from Aki. "Never mind, don't answer that. Just... Yeah, sure. Whatever you want to think," Kai said as he walked ahead of Aki.

Kai took a path that led to an area crowded with people. It was a large area that had a gate surrounded by walls up ahead. The largest zoo in the area ever made. As he led the way, Kai made sure that Aki didn't get separated from him and continued on. Maybe I'll go visit the aquarium... Kai thought to himself as he was decided which animals he should go see.

Today, wasn't Kai's first visit to the zoo. He visited many times and a demon he was acquainted with gave him the access to visit without any authorization. So he could come and go whenever he pleased. No one said anything to him. Kai came very often, to the point where even the workers knew him. Although they would try to converse with him, he always gave them the cold shoulder which eventually made them leave him alone. Thus, the workers ignore him. He was even given a key that could open the cages and allow him to walk into areas where tourist or even workers weren't allowed to. All thanks to his own kind. Another reason he was grateful for being a demon.

"Animal friends." Aki said innocently, letting the half-demon pull his had away with a little frown. Trotting to catch up with him, the angel watched the other boy as they walked down a path that began to feel familiar. Even so, his focus was on the dark-haired boy. Kai was somewhat confusing to him, but he wasn't put off by his behavior, exactly.

As they walked, Aki continued to study his new friend, a curious smile on his face. He noted the way most of the zoo workers ignored Kai, but seemed familiar with him, how Kai got them both in without paying (which Aki was about to do, without thinking about it), and even how he had a pass key to the cages.

"Do you have a relative who works here?" he asked, very interested. "They must be on the Board of Directors. I hope I can thank them sometime." As full demons were not exactly known for doing things altruistically, Kai's damon friend was likely hoping he would cause havoc at some point. They were also not known, in the lower echelons, to be much for grand plans. These lower demons tended to do things on a whim, only so they could pettily deny the same nice things when they felt like it. However, as they were often rather lazy, sometimes they forgot their own plans and the 'nice' thing they intended to take away and ruin just continued because they couldn't be bothered. Higher-up demons tended to call them, among other things, the Unambitious. It was probably the nicest name in their repetoire.

Not that Aki knew any of this- he saw it as a really nice thing, and it more or less confirmed what he thought about the other boy. The angel kept it to himself for now, however, as they came across a flock of flamingoes near the entrance.

"Oh, look!" he cried, moving over to the edge of the enclosure. "They're so pretty! Much better than the ones on Mrs. Fastbacker's lawn. Those don't come up and greet you." Which was exactly what quite a few of them were doing. If humans didn't know what Aki was, animals certainly did. The brightly-colored birds seemed to want to look at him, or gently nibble him with their beaks. Once more, the angel forgot that this kind of thing was not helping him blend in.

(I apologize for Aki- he's a walking Disney Princess stereotype, sometimes. O_O Also, he's going to be so impressed with Kai when they get to go inside the cages XD)

Kai walked passed the gate with Aki following behind as the workers that regularly saw him, stared the rare guest he brought with him. The employees didn't say anything since Kai never caused any trouble and hopefully wasn't trying to because they saw him as a person up to no good. Since Aki gave off a different vibe that showed he was harmless, the workers didn't give much thought and ignored him following Kai.

"No, just an acquaintance and you don't need to meet him," Kai answered Aki. Hopefully Aki doesn't run into him, Kai thought to himself. Like Natsume, Pyro is one of the demons that threw his life away to live like a human, because of that his darkness is less likely to affect humans which gives him the advantage to be less likely caught by angels. But because they are a full demon, it is a lot harder for them to conceal themselves, so they tend to blend themselves in a large environment filled with humans.

Although they are a full blood demon, they are one of the few who choose to be like a human. This type of life they chose, puts them in danger with their own kind even more. Thus a vast majority of demons living as humans are killed and labeled as traitors. They are one of the few who are the lowest of demons, but never as low as a half.

As Kai saw a flock of flamingos approach Aki, his aura began to brighten a little, causing some flamingos to approach him. Whenever he was around animals, he felt calm and at peace. As contradicting as it is, animals were like humans, but they also weren't. It was the truth. They were similar no matter how different their natures were. Despite that, Kai preferred to be around animals than humans. Most of his reason was probably because they couldn't talk, but also because they were loyal to those they trust compared to humans.

"Well, yeah... The one's on the lawn are wild and less tame. They prefer to stay away from people and keep to themselves," Kai explained. Most wild animals were like that. They don't approach humans out of fear and because they weren't used to human contact. It was foreign to them, so they tend to avoid people with caution. Although, some people are lucky enough to be approached by wild animals, a majority... Not so much.

((Haha, yeah it's fine ^^ and yes, Kai has a lot of connections with demons which gives him lots of privileges and that... He should be glad for. Oh, I never mentioned Natsume was a demon did I...? And for the unambitious, did you mean that Pyro was one of them? Because if you did, I said that he was like Natsume, but I'll leave that up to you whether he is an unambitious or not, since you mentioned/explained it first.))

(Ahhh, I wondered about Natsume. If he was a full demon, Aki would have been able to sense him. Giving up his demonic life and powers would explain why Aki didn't recognize what he was. Latent demonic influence would just be felt like the average human, who has good and bad in them. I guess if Aki was ever alone with Natsume or Pyro, he would sense their demonic nature? And I think the Unambitious would be a title for any low-level demon that mostly does petty mischief and doesn't follow through with evil plans very well because they get bored or forget what their intention was. I think all upper demons would see all lower demons as being this, to a certain extent, since I think demons rise in the ranks according to their power and their ability to wreak havoc. Maybe Natsume's cover to keep himself from getting killed off by his own kind is that he's one of the Unambitious. That's just my idea, though. It can always be rewritten!)

Being an angel, Akiel naturally drew the bright and the good around him, repelling others. This included humans- those who were giving themselves over to darkness would not have been able to stand being near him. Those who still felt the desire for innocence and the lovely things of the world found him a refreshing companion. For Kai, it was a mixed bag, because he had those warring sides of himself. Not that Aki knew what his friend was, just that he was conflicted, and that was ok. Angels were there to help humans be better, as much as they were there to fight demons.

While animals did not need the same help as humans did, and were not within the jurisdiction of angels' duties, they still seemed to crave that taste of the heavenly that little Aki brought with him. Perhaps that was why he liked them so much- they saw what he was when humans didn't or couldn't, and didn't mind. They were definitely easier to deal with than humans, who were often so fickle and arbitrary. Plus, humans were difficult to make friends of once they knew what he was. Angels could sometimes fill humans with as much terror as demons. With animals, there was almost always an immediate acceptance of his true nature.

Akiel stroked the noses of the flamingoes, as though greeting each of them in turn, and was delighted when they approached Kai as well. "They like you!" he grinned as a few of them reached over the railing to try and nibble on his hair. Akiel giggled as the flamingoes did the same to him. It tickled! "I love when they say 'hi'. They're so happy to see us…and when they're wild, they're happy to forget they're wild for a little while." He'd come across quite a few wild animals during his time on earth.

Other zoo patrons started gathering around, marveling at the odd behavior, and taking photos. A few children approached the gaggle around Aki and Kai, choosing to speak to Aki initially because he seemed the more open of the two. The angel patiently showed them how to touch the flamingoes, but wanted to include Kai as well. When one of the children asked if the flamingoes were around him because he was feeding them, he shook his head and pointed to the half demon.

"This is my friend, Kai. He can tell you what they do eat….and why they're pink!" For whatever reason, the angel had the impression that Kai knew about animals, and was eager for his friend to have a chance to show off his knowledge, even though Kai had never professed to be an expert.

((Natsume and Pyro are a full demons. I agree that Aki would have noticed if he were alone with them, but maybe if he was in his full angel form he would have noticed sooner even if he was around Kai and other people. Also, that would mean that all low ranking demons would go into the category of unambitious? I think that actually makes things easier if their given a certain category or type their called as based on their ranking cause then you know what type of demon they are. But then again, I wouldn't know what to call the other higher ranking demons... Oh well ^^;))

A small smile that was barely visible made it's way on Kai's face when he interacted with the flamingos, completely forgetting that Aki was around and that a crowd of people had now surrounded them. It took a while until he noticed when a camera flashed and dropped his smile as he backed away from the people that were surrounding Aki and talking all at once.

Kai thought that if everyone was focused on Aki, he could get away without being noticed. That is... Until Aki put him on the spotlight, making him scowl.

The kids that were hording Aki, all turned to him and hesitantly approached him, making him back away even more. He wasn't good with children or people to be more specific. Normally he was used to people just talking about him on side, staring at him, or just completely ignoring him. Now that Aki was around, his usual routine was crashed and he had to deal with a situation he rarely ever had to deal with in the past few years. It was nerve wrecking and he just wanted out and away from everyone. But by looking at the stares of the children that were innocent and filled with curiosity, he just couldn't bare to disappoint them.

Sighing to himself with frustration, he tried not to glare at the kids specifically and looked at Aki accusingly for putting him in the center of attention. "First of all... Flamingos are pink because of the type of food they eat," Kai said as simply as he could for anyone at any age who was listening could understand. "Flamingos usually eat algea, small insects, small fish, crustaceans, and molluscs." Kai explained as he pet the flamingos. When he turned to look at some people, he noticed the confused faces when he mentioned the term molluscs and sighed again. "Molluscs are basically sea slugs or snails," he said in a more simpler term for them to understand. When he said that, they began to nod in understanding with a smile and he looked at Aki to fix the problem he gave to Kai.

Kai wasn't used to explaining things fully for people to understand. He never even gave people a straightforward answer. He just found it troublesome and a waste of time on his part when he already knew it and he was slightly annoyed by the lack of knowledge most humans had. Although he couldn't blame them since all he was doing for the past few years was reading books and finding information while often visiting the animals. It was no surprise that humans never really spent their whole time to learn about the things around them, but Kai was amused that most humans study as much as they can, despite not having enough time in their life to learn as much as demons or angels. Now those humans... Were the ones that were called wise.

"Enough questions. Why don't you go study if your so interested," Kai stated to the humans more than asked. He then stepped away from them to let Aki take over the crowd. Kai had already had enough attention from people and he spoke more than he normally did. Being around Aki, made him do things he never did before and didn't understand why. A part of him wanted to know if it's because Aki's an angel, but it couldv'e been any angel then if it wasn't Aki who approached him. He just wasn't sure and another part of him didn't want to know the reason, so he just ignored his confused thoughts and waited on the sidelines away from the crowd for Aki.

Last edited by a moderator:
(I don't think they could hide from Aki if he was in full angel mode, and if he was alone with them in human mode, he might figure them out if he was alone with them. But yeah, that's how I see it working. And I think 'Unambitious' is the nicest term for them. I'm sure the upper ranks have way worse things to call them, most of which aren't printable on this site XD I'm not sure what I'd call the upper ranks of demons, either, though I'm sure the lower ones have unprintable names for them, too. We can come up with a ranking system if you want, I was just kind of dividing them into two very broad categories.)

The intent of Aki pointing Kai out to the others was not to discomfit him, but because Aki felt it would be selfish of him not to include the other boy. The moment the angel saw Kai's expression, he regretted putting him on the spot. It honestly hadn't occurred to the angel that Kai would rather just fade into the background, and Aki felt bad for not realizing that. He should have known…

Angels hated to hurt anyone, other than demons, but they didn't take delight in that, either. It was just a job. Causing even minor emotional harm to a human was a terrible thing to them, and Aki's tender-hearted nature made this even more so. Seeing Kai's discomfort made him feel truly sad, as much as a bright and cheerful being could, anyway. Angels grieved for the pain of others, but unlike humans, that grief could not destroy them. It simply made them more determined to right wrongs and protect those they were called to serve.

Aki dealt gently and sweetly with the crowd, but mostly his thoughts were on Kai. It was therefore necessary for him to slip out of the crowd as soon as he could, without hurting the feelings of the children there. The flamingoes had gone back over to the water, wandering away from the humans, who were more or less content to take pictures and split off to look at other exhibits. Many of them thanked Aki, or waved to him, and he returned their happy gestures, but felt a bit pensive. He wanted to make sure his friend was not in a bad way. Akiel had dealt with some very shy and nervous people before, so he was worried that Kai would completely retreat into himself. He was glad that his friend hadn't just slipped off and disappeared.

Sidling up to the half demon, Akiel looked at him with a frown and a wrinkled brow, eyes filled with worry. "I'm sorry about that…I didn't realize you weren't fond of crowds….or attention." he bit his lip. "I thought you were just trying to hide that you care about things. I….I didn't stop to think that maybe you don't like to deal with people. That wasn't very nice of me." Really not happy with himself for that, the angel scuffed a pebble on the ground with his toe.

((Yeah, that's true. Or we could just call the higher ranking demons the 'Ambitious'?))

Kai wasn't exactly mad at Aki and it seemed like it wasn't getting through when Aki looked unhappy. As Aki was dealing with the crowd, Kai looked at the other animals and his frustration from before all began to disappear. He felt calmer and not only that, he just couldn't seem to be upset at Aki. Kai realizes that Aki doesn't understand things about him and he didn't mind. Aki didn't need to know about him anyway.

It was just in Kai's nature to be anti-social. He preferred the solitude than being around social people. That was just how Kai was and it didn't mean that all demons were like him. He just grew up without socializing with people and he didn't understand what the point of it was. He thought it was pointless to talk to humans despite partially being one.

When Kai heard Aki apologize, he sighed and shook his head. "It doesn't matter. I'm not... Mad at you for doing that," Kai said truthfully as he began to walk towards the part of the zoo that held a flock of birds in a cage. "It's not like you knew," Kai stated as he stopped at a cage that held rainbow lorikeets.

The large cage was filled with the colorful exotic birds, flying around. The color of their beaks were red and the color of their feathers were a vibrant: blue, red, green, and yellow.

Kai stopped right at the gate and watched as they flew around inside. He then thought that maybe Aki would probably, most likely want to go in if it were possible and wondered if that would make Aki forget about the incident that happened previously.

(Whatever works! I'm not picky XD It would be the nicest thing to call them, as I imagine their relative ambitiousness dictates the kind of damage they can do. Determined demons can do a LOT of damage, like start wars, inspire genocides, that kind of thing, but it takes a lot of work for these things to be 'successful'.)

"I should have been more observant, though." the blond said, his full lips downturned in a frown, "I should be a better friend. How you feel about things is important!" Aki said the word 'friend' like it meant something to him, and it did. Though he tended to make friends easily, being what he was, the angel still felt every one of them was important. Even Kai, whom he had just met a day ago. That was just how Aki functioned.

The angel trotted along beside his friend, watching him closely, only noticing the lorikeets when Kai stopped in front of their cage. Turning to look at them, his eyes became bright again, and he leaned closer to see the brightly-colored birds.

"They're so beautiful!" he cried happily as, once again, many of the birds came gathering near him, chattering happily. "They're just like flying jewels! Do you like to look at the colors, too?" He turned to Kai, just as interested in his friend as the animals. Akiel wanted to know all about him. Not that he had forgotten the incident at the flamingo enclosure, but the angel wasn't one to dwell too long in darkness. He simply made a note to himself that Kai didn't want attention. Aki was happy to draw it all away from him, not because he himself was an attention hog, but because it would make Kai happier that way. For his own part, Aki tended to prefer individual interactions over a group.

((Alright, I don't really mind either ^^ I think we should just call them ambitious then.))

"You say that, but you can't be observant all the time." Kai stated to Aki, without denying his statement of them being 'friends'. It was odd to Kai because he never tried making friends. He wasn't even sure what made people friends in the first place. Whether they say their just friends or the fact that they get along makes them friends, was all complicated to Kai. It was no wonder he didn't like to get along with people. He just found it confusing and tiring. Yet, when Aki said that they were friends, Kai felt slightly happy. Although he didn't seem to show he was happy, he didn't deny it or get mad Aki, but he didn't admit it either.

When Kai watched Aki's reaction, he smiled. For once, he agreed with Aki that the rainbow lorikeets were beautiful. They were after all exotic creatures. Kai couldn't help but admire the vibrant colors of their feathers. Though their affectionate and trusting behavior didn't bother Kai much, he did find their energetic and playful natures to be quite annoying. It reminded him of human children: hyper and playful, but troublesome. Compared to humans, he would have preferred the birds anyway, so it didn't matter. He didn't find them as annoying as humans. Kai would pick animals over humans any day if he had a choice. To him, animals would never be as annoying as mortals. Although he was partially one, he rarely interacted or acted like one anyway.

Kai nodded his head in agreement to Aki's question and walked towards the door of the cage. "Do you want to go in?" He asked Aki as he held up a key he had that was attached to a key chain on his bag. He always had the key with him. In fact, he had several keys that would be hard to indicate by anyone but him. All the keys looked the similar, but Kai knew by instinct.

It may have looked strange for him to have more keys than one would usually carry, but they were necessary for him to keep since it gave him access to locations that some people normally can't get into.

(That works! It's fit to print, anyway lol)

Aki listened to Kai's response with a bit of a frown for a moment, still thinking he should have been more aware. Angels hated to fail in their duties, whatever they were. However, next moment he realized that Kai hadn't said anything about the word 'friends', and Aki knew very well he'd heard it. That fact made him very happy. He knew Kai would have made it clear if he didn't like the idea…and anyway, they were at the zoo together, and that was Kai's idea.

Akiel was so pleased that he almost almost hugged the other boy, but refrained, remembering how little he seemed to like physical contact. Instead, he just beamed like a star, and when Kai suggested they go into the lorikeet cage, nearly started jumping up and down with excitement. Remembering Halcyon's words about 'acting his age', meaning his 'human' age, the angel just hugged himself a bit with happiness and let it go at that.

"We can go in? Really? That's wonderful!" The birds seemed to know what he was talking about, because they chattered as happily as the angel and perched as close to him as they could. They also knew Kai, and that he might be bearing food, so there was that.

Akio watched him open the cage, grinning. "That's a lot of keys! You must have lots of people trusting you with things. Are those the keys to your house?" He pointed to a smaller set, "I guess we're both old enough to have house keys…your family must trust you a lot, too."

Though it may have seemed innocent enough a question, Akiel had suspected that Kai might not have parents, or a guardian that cared where he was. After all, he'd gotten hurt, and seemed to hang around the cafe a lot, even when normal kids his age should be home. Plus, he hadn't mentioned any family, and seemed to always be alone. Akiel was just trying to figure him out without asking point-blank questions, since Kai shot those down pretty quickly. There was no ill intent in Aki finding these things out, but a desire to help Kai. It would make perfect sense for a homeless or neglected boy to get involved with the wrong sorts of people. and not seek anyone's help.

Status
Not open for further replies.