Coexistence

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Hahaha, that works XD Shall we cut now to another day? Or did you want to see something of Aki with the angels? I leave that to you, but Aki will notice that Kai is hurt if he doesn't heal by the next day XD)

((I don't really mind. Maybe if Aki was having an important meeting with the angels and they suspected him for being with a demon because of the lingering demon energy? or is it too soon for them to find out? Maybe they could suspect Aki, but don't say anything about it because they don't think it's serious yet? Or you could write something about ezekiel reporting about what he encountered to the angels? And yeah, Kai will probably heal slower than a demon, but faster than a human. He'll maybe cover it up somehow and try to make it unnoticeable to Aki.))

(OK- I think I'll write just a little blurb with Ezekiel, and going back to report. I think Aki would have told Halcyon about Kai, but they might not put two and two together yet. There are humans who are more sensitive to angels and demons than others, so they'll wait to see what happens.)

((Okay, that makes sense and I kinda forgot, Aki still doesn't know about Kai being a demon. So if Aki told Halcyon about it, then maybe Halcyon believes that Kai is just a human and when Ezekiel reports about what happened they won't know it's Kai. Ezekiel will know about Kai but not that he's Kai because he doesn't know that's his name, while the others will think Aki is just talking about a human named Kai. Phew.... That sounds kinda confusing ^^;))

Ezekiel would have cursed, if he was a demon, on letting teh other one get away, but it couldn't be helped. Dusting himself off and cleaning his blade with a flash of golden light, he spread his wings and went back to meet with his partner. The older angel had just dealt with the last of the demon power floating in the air, a less violent but trickier thing to do, as it was ephemeral and spread quickly. A panicking crowd was also harder to calm and sort out. He had sent his younger partner to deal with teh demons, knowing him to be ready and more than able. Ezekiel now returned to give his report.

His older partner knew right away that things hadn't gone as planned. "Well, Ezekiel?"

"One demon disposed of. The second got away." The younger angel said, a deep frown on his handsome face. Flashing lights of police cars lit up the square where the fight had started, though it didn't reveal the angels, who hung over the crowd, watching them and keeping them calmer with their presence.

"It couldn't be helped."

"Yes it could- I wasn't fast enough." Ezekiel paused, and his partner watched him, knowing there was more. The younger angel's face was drawn in a deep, thoughtful frown. "One of them was something I haven't seen before…. It was…strange. Sometimes it felt like a demon, and sometimes it didn't. It didn't even look like a full demon, and it was fighting with teh other one. It seemed like a personal fight, though."

The older angel looked over at him, frowning as well, listening as Ezekiel gave a brief description of Kai. Few enough, even of the older angels, had ever even heard of a half-breed, much less seen one. Unions between humans and demons weren't uncommon, but they almost never produced anything other than shapeless, formless bags of flesh. Neither Ezekiel, nor his partner, had any idea what the other not-quite-demon was.

"We'll have to ask Gabriel about it." the older one said, watching as the crowd was slowly dispersed by the police. "Come, this area is secure. Let's move on."

Ezekiel nodded, but as they spread their wings and launched into the air, he still couldn't shake the strange feeling teh sight of Kai had given him.

(LOL, yeah, t's confusing. If they knew about half-breeds, it wouldn't take so long XD But I had the idea that a successful half breed like Kai is extremely rare. Like, I think other halfbreeds that don't die at birth have their demon sides so strong they just turn into even more monstrous flesh monsters. That's just teh idea, though XD)

"Heh~ Is this what the human world is like...?" A young female demon, barely in her teenage years, that had the same emerald eyes as the male demon laying on the ground; appeared in the area where the fight had occurred and picked up the male demon's severed head. "Lord Verin isn't happy with you brother," she spoke as his eyes opened and the wounds on his body began to heal.

"Shut it Lilith, I don't want to hear that from you," he said, as he looked at her while she held his head by his red hair. "Just bring me to my body already," he demanded grouchily as Lilith pouted and did as he said. Walking towards his body, Lilith reattached his head to his body and the organs began to reconnect themselves. Getting up from the ground, the demon cracked his neck and examined his body that was now healed up completely. "So... Lord Verin ordered you to get me?" He asked.

"Yeah. He sounded really upset too," Lilith spoke honestly, watching the older demon as his expression looked glum. "I don't understand Malphas...." She said, causing him to look at her questioningly.

"About what?" He questioned.

"About Lord Verin and Kai. Why he's so intent on messing with the halve's lives? What they have to do with each other... And why he hasn't decided to kill him yet," Lilith explained deep in thought.

"I think a lot of us are thinking the same thing. He should just kill the half blood already," Malphas said as he got ready to go back to report his failures to Varin and prepared himself for the upcoming punishment. "Let's go Lilth..." He said as he held his hand out for his younger sister to hold.

Lilith nodded at him and took his hand as they went back to the Demon Lord's lair.

As Kai's wound had healed slightly and he managed to stop the bleeding somehow by adding pressure, he decided to stop by Natsume's cafe. Walking into the empty cafe leisurely despite the sign that said 'CLOSED' on the door in bold and capitalized letters, he just ignored it.

"Sorry, we're clo-" Natsume didn't finish his sentence, when he saw Kai walk in. "What happened to you?" He asked with concern as he walked up to Kai and took a look at his arm. "Did Verin...?" Natsume didn't need to finish his sentence as he sighed and fixed Kai's wound for him in silence. "Done!" He announced, slapping Kai's wound and walking away, causing Kai to glare at him.

"Thanks..." Kai said gratefully as he looked at the neat bandage wrapping on his arm. "Mind if I stay here?" Kai asked Natsume.

"Not at all," Natsume answered. "Not like this is the first time anyway...." He mumbled as he cleaned the tables.

Removing his bag, Kai took out a hoodie that resembled the current one he was wearing, except it had longer sleeves and covered his arm with ears on the hood. Removing his sleeveless hoodie, he threw on the other one and shoved it in his bag. When he was done, he went to the back to grab a few books and sat down in his usual seat and began to read throughout the whole night, until it was morning and the regular customers began to walk in when the sign for the shop was changed to 'OPEN'.

((Yeah, and maybe those flesh monsters could be the ones that are usually killed before they can do anything by their own parents, or because Verin is in charge he would let them do as they please and let them sabotage the human world, giving the angels more work to do ^^ And they could be the ones that attack the humans blindly just for their amusement and constant hunger))

Last edited by a moderator:
(*nodnod* I think it would depend on what the particular 'boss' of an area wanted to do with them. I think they could also cause harm even to the demons if they get out of control, which is why some demon lords kill them on sight. Also, I think good/righteous humans can do damage to demons and make them weaker.)

Akiel didn't come in until later in the morning, having had to take care of some minor havoc at sunrise. The demons always seemed to make a last stand just then, so the night watch and day watch often had more to do then than at night. But as the sun rose, the balance of power shifted again, and the area was mostly peaceful now. Just the early morning traffic, people starting to go to the shops, getting breakfast and coffee. Since Halcyon liked to make sure his junior partner got acquainted with the humans in their charge, to encourage love and affection for them, he let Akiel go back to Natsume's shop. He had been told about Aki's new friend, and as long as nothing got in the way of Aki's duties, he was allowed to go and see him.

Yet, Halcyon had another motive, one he had deemed it best not to share with Aki yet. Given Kai's description, and teh fact that Aki felt something strange about him, the older angel felt it might be good to find out more. He knew Aki was smart and insightful, in his own way, and that Kai would be more likely to open up to him. The angels wanted to figure this one out. So far, not knowing his true nature, they were only somewhat curious. Had they known his true nature, things would have been more serious.

The young angel's cheerful presence preceded him, as the air of the cafe seemed to get lighter and warmer, right before he stepped in. There were only a few people there at this time of day, but they all greeted him with waves like they knew him, and he returned their greetings with his own happy ones. He was always the most bright and cheerful when coming from teh heavenly realm, and getting to see his new friend made him even happier. It wouldn't have been a surprise if he started actually glowing, even in his human form.

"Hey, Kai! You're here! I didn't expect you to be here so early. But I hoped you would be!" Without further preamble, he slid into teh chair across from the half-demon, grinning.

((Yeah, that makes sense ^^))

Kai was had a stack of 5 books on his table and looked up from the one he was currently reading to see Aki walk in, his vibrant energy never failing to brighten the atmosphere around him. Grunting at Aki, he slid the stack of books to the side so that the table had more space. Kai figured that Aki would come, but he begin wonder what the other angels would think of Aki if they knew, but he tried to keep his identity a secret so they couldn't find out... Could they? Pushing the thought away he looked down at the book he had in front of him and wrote in some symbols, his movements slightly stiffer than usual because of his injury. "Your back..." Kai said, sounding annoyed, but not entirely honest that he didn't mind the company.

Aki payed no attention to the annoyed tone, or the lack of enthusiasm. He dangled his legs and smiled over at Kai like he'd gotten the biggest, happiest reception ever from the half-demon.

"I am!" he chirped. "And you're reading again. You must really like those books! What are they about?" Reaching out, he tried to take the top one off the stack to see what the title was.

Seeing Aki's hand reach toward ones of the books on the top stack, Kai quickly grabbed Aki's hand and stopped him from touching the book. "It's not that I like it... I'm reading it because I need to," Kai spoke in a firm voice with a determined look in his eyes. "And it's not like you would understand..." Kai mumbled, letting go of Aki's hand and pushing the books further from his reach. "Why do you even want to know?" He asked.

Aki's interest was piqued- why didn't Kai want him to see what the book was? The other boy's sudden increase in irritation, bordering on anger, was a dead giveaway that he was either reading something private, or something he shouldn't.

"Why do you think I wouldn't understand?" Aki tilted his head to one side, golden hair framing his face like a halo. The sunrise was almost directly behind him through the window, which made it look even more ethereal. "Maybe I could help you, especially if you don't want to read those books. It's an awful lot to get through."

"You can't help, it's not as simple as you think it is," he said looking away from Aki. Because you're an angel... Kai thought. "I'll spend my whole life reading those books if I have to...." Kai stated, not a single thought of giving up ever making it's way into his head. Even if their was a small chance that he might never find out what he really is and what he's capable of doing, he'd still take the chance to find it because he knows that there are people like him who are alive and have written about it somewhere where it couldn't be found by the wrong hands. "Just give up already, you can't help everyone," Kai said stubbornly, refusing Aki's help.

Then, the call came again. The phone in the cafe began to ring and Kai fell silent and rolled his eyes with annoyance as he glared in the direction of the phone. Natsume, who was busy tended to the customers while the phone was continuously ringing and getting on Kai's nerve. One of the employees, went to the phone and picked it up, listening to the call silently until a gasp escaped.

Kai used his hearing to listen, as he only managed to hear parts of the conversation and the employee gulp nervously as he put the phone down and peak out of the room he was in to spot Kai and gestured for Kai to come over.

"Don't bother... I already know who it is," Kai replied from across the room, causing the customers to watch curiously, wondering about the mysterious phone call and how the employee could hear Kai from the distance across the room.The employee nodded and went back to his work as Kai looked at Aki and tilted his head to look at the clouds in the sky blankly.

"They must be very important to you." Aki said solemnly, his hands upon his pinkish knees. "Or, what's in them must be important."

The comment on his not being able to help everyone actually stung- it was an angel's biggest sorrow, if that glorious, happy race had one. "I know." he frowned, and for the first time, the happy aura around him dimmed somewhat. Not that his mood would have spiraled, however, the phone call broke him from what little vague despondency he could feel.

Now, his mood was one of curiosity, and he leaned in a bit, as if trying to hear what was going on on the other side of the phone. He'd decided too late to try and eavesdrop, however, as the phone was hung up. Aki made a mental note to give the poor shaken employee a smile or a hug later, when she wasn't so busy with customers. At the moment, he just looked back at Kai, frowning thoughtfully.

"The bad people jeep calling you." he murmured. "Are they the ones who hurt you?"

Aki, in his totally guiless way, had just revealed that Kai's pretense was vain, at least in terms of his injuries. He was moving stiffly, and had enough human in him that the angel could feel he was in pain. He didn't know from what, though in his mind, it couldn't have been too bad or Kai would have gone to the hospital. Aki would have visited him there if that had happened, and cheered him up. Now, he wished he could give his friend a little bit of miraculous healing.

Kai didn't answer Aki when he questioned the importance of the books, because if it wasn't important to him... He wouldn't even be reading them in the first place. He then noticed Aki's aura slightly dim from his remark and he began to feel guilty about it when he was distracted by the phone call. No longer in the mood to even try to brighten the angel's aura considering his own was decreasing as usual, he stayed silent while watching the clouds pass by.

Hurt...? Kai thought to himself when he heard Aki ask if the one's that constantly called him were the one's that injured him. "I'm not hurt..." Kai said in a monotone, knowing that it would be quite hard to mask his injury from an angel after all. Was I too stiff? Kai wondered, thinking that he was probably right. The injury was deep and hurt considering he was hit by an ax, but it would heal eventually, at least a lot quicker than a human anyway. If he was a human... His arm would have been amputated on the spot, he thought to himself silently as he thanked no one in particular for being a half demon for once.

Despite knowing that Aki knew he was hurt, Kai decided to just feign his injury, so that the angel wouldn't worry or try something to cheer him up. Since he was demon, Aki's attempt to cheer him up would be partially futile to him. Though somehow, his mood did feel lighter when Aki was around; which somehow made his aura less dark.

Aki frowned again at the lie, wondering why humans all seemed to do it so often, especially when they were hurt. They weren't even good liars, either. Their tone always made it obvious they were fibbing. It only made Aki more worried.

"You are hurt, even if you don't want to admit it." Still, knowing that humans had their agency, and that their agency couldn't just be revoked on a whim, he supposed there wasn't much he could do but try to persuade.

It was hard being powerful and not being able to just force people to do what was best for themselves, but angels were chosen because they inherently understood that force was, most of the time, not an acceptable measure. Humans forced to do what was right would never learn, and never be truly good. Only mindless drones. So the angels, understanding this, though it was sometimes difficult to deal with, didn't use their powers that way.

They were great persuaders, though, even through just their presence, and Aki hoped maybe his was enough. If it had just been an injury Kai was ignoring, but wasn't life-threatening, Aki would have left it. However, he could almost testify that the injury was because of those 'men' who kept calling the dark-haired boy. Aki knew that, if they were willing to hurt one so young, they were capable of many worse deeds. However, last night's plea to leave the 'bad men' hadn't worked. The angel decided maybe gaining the other boy's trust might help more than open persuasion now.

"You know, it's such a beautiful day already." he mused aloud, then his tone turned excited. "Why don't you save those books for later and come with me? There are all sorts of things to see out in the market, and the ocean is nearby. It's so beautiful in the morning!" His eyes were wide and sparkling, as though he talked of things so exquisite they had to be shared.

Kai saw Aki frown and ignored it, for he couldn't do anything about it. It was hard enough for him to hide his injury, but it turned out to be for nothing considering how Aki had already noticed it instantly. Though he didn't expect the angel to be completely honest and blunt about it by telling him he didn't want to admit that he was hurt. "Whatever..." Kai said, unable to say anything else.

He then leaned on one of his hand and watched as Aki began to speak with excitement about sightseeing. Morning... I should have known.... Kai thought to himself, not agreeing with Aki one bit about it being a beautiful day and already predicting that he would try and do something. Although he wanted to decline, he decided that he didn't want to make Aki feel disappointed. Letting out a sigh, Kai got up without saying anything to Aki, grabbed his books and put it back. He then came back out and stood by the table to grab his bag and walked away. "Are you coming?" Kai asked, without turning around or waiting to see if Aki would follow him as he left the shop, not bothering to say anything to Natsume since he was too busy.

Kai then waited outside for Aki and put one of his hand up to shield the bright sun from his eyes and flinched from his injury, forgetting that he had injured his arm. He put his hand down and pulled his hood up to shade the sun from his eyes, not caring that it had ears on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aki knew enough about humans to recognize that 'whatever' meant 'I have no solid argument/I don't want to deal with whatever we were talking about'. Humans did that so often, and he never understood it. Why wouldn't they ever accept help? At least Kai didn't brush off his sightseeing idea like the angel thought he would, though at first Aki thought he'd offended the other boy. Kai had just grabbed everything and walked off, leaving the angel looking a bit bewildered and sad, before it became clear what he was doing.

With bright eyes and an eager step, Akiel sprung from his chair, waving to the few cafe patrons cheerfully as he followed his new friend out. He was at Kai's side at once, a little bundle of sunbeams himself, reveling in the bright daylight. The angel took a deep breath, not because he needed to actually breathe, but because he could still smell and taste the air.

"Isn't it beautiful?" he asked, letting the air just stay inside him. He only remembered to exhale at the last moment- sometimes pretending he was human was difficult. Aki was such an intuitive and fun-loving soul. Even Kai's rather dark appearance brought out a grin.

"Your hoodie makes you look like a cat!" he exclaimed, touching one of the pointed ears with his fingers. "That's so cute! Where did you get it?"

(Yes, he just called a half-demon 'cute' XD)

"Hm... Sure," Kai responded when Aki asked him if it was a beautiful day. He then turned to look at Aki, watching him forget to breath for a moment. As he watched Aki, a small smile appeared on Kai's face, but he quickly turned around in another direction to conceal it. Great... I just smiled like an idiot and I'm hanging out with an angel, Kai thought. If Varin finds out... I'll never hear the end of it, Kai thought as he thought of his status being lowered even more.

"What are you doing?" Kai asked, as he felt Aki touching his hood. "It's just a hoodie that you can find at any other clothing store. Now stop touching it," he said as he swatted Aki's hand away from his head, suddenly feeling embarrassed. Did he just... Call me cute...? Kai thought. Nuh-uh, no one calls a demon... Cute, Kai thought disgustedly. "And I'm not cute... so don't call me cute!" He nearly shouted, making a few people pass by him snicker and point at them. He then glared, making them look away. "Where do you want to go? Before I change my mind," he asked Aki frowning.

((Haha, yeah ^O^ Aki made Kai embarrassed >_<))

"I love how it looks!" the angel said, eyes bright. "Maybe I could get a white one, then we could be black cat, white cat!" The thought made him happy, so he danced around a bit, though Kai's outburst put a stop to it rather quickly. He blinked at the other boy, frowning slightly.

"Your cheeks are red…" he almost touched one, but didn't, pulling his fingers back at teh last moment. Realization dawned on him, though it wasn't quite correct. "Oh! calling you cute made you angry…I'm sorry! I meant your hoodie was cute, but you look nice, too. I mean….I won't call you that anymore." He was a bit flustered, hating to say anything that hurt anyone's feelings. He wasn't that concerned with onlookers, however. At least the other boy didn't walk away and leave him.

"Oh…oh, yes! There's something I want to show you. Come on!" Smiling with a bit of relief, the angel took Kai's hand, leading him down the street toward the nearby wharfs. He was brimming with excitement again, having found something he hoped his new friend would like. As they got closer to the docks, where the boats rose and fell gently in the water, they would hear the loud cry of gulls, and the even louder bark of sea lions. Aki followed the wooden pathway, counting the boats, eyes slightly narrowed. As they reached one called the "Surly Mermaid", he suddenly turned and led Kai down one of the loading paths, pointing to a space in the shade under one of the docks. Right between the giant wooden poles swam a tiny baby sea lion, its mother watching just beyond.

"Look! It's swimming today!" Aki beamed. "That little guy almost lost his flipper a week ago- I didn't think he'd make it." Being an angel, his presence meant the sea lion mother felt no fear, and even swam over to nudge at his hand. She may also have just been half-domesticated by handouts anyway.

(Hahaha! Totally unintentional on Aki's part, totally intentional on mine XD)

Status
Not open for further replies.