Cloudborne

Isabel spent the rest of the day texting Janai, who had briefly wondered why she and Liz had left school early today. She gave her a lame excuse about feeling sick and they rest of the night they spent talking about schoolwork and random books they had both read. Richard had also texted her, but that was a lot earlier in the day, so Izzie just assumed Liz had already returned his texts. She's usually good about that.
While Isabel caught up on her schoolwork and even got ahead to distract herself, she considered telling Janai more of the truth, but decided against it for now. Why tie someone else up in all of this when everyone would be equally helpful. So she ended up saying goodnight prematurely and going to sleep around 8, which was early, but if she was being honest with herself, it was because she didn't want to see her mom when she got back.
She knew that if she came home early enough to see Isabel, it would either be a sweet conversation with a kiss to the forehead or a concerned lecture about why the school called to say she didn't attend classes today and Isabel wasn't sure she wouldn't just burst into tears and tell her everything because she was too out of her depth for all of this. So she went to sleep and hoped again that this was all some long nightmare.

--
But she woke up Wednesday morning to another dull headache and ended up waiting outside for Eliza's jeep to pull up. Isabel was wearing a hoodie, which was strange in this warm weather, but it was going to be fall soon, so nobody would really care. When it was getting to be kind of close to class time, she called Liz to make sure she hadn't slept in or to ask where she was on her way here. The phone range for awhile, but she eventually answered. "Hey Liz, please tell me you're almost here? I mean I could take the bus if you slept in again, but I would love if I didn't have tooo," she smiled, hoping the joking tone was carried through. Everything that hung in the air between them lately felt too heavy right now, so lightening everything else up was all Isabel knew how to do.

• Love
Reactions: Snowflake
Liz spent barely a moment sleeping while her mind raced to try and think of how to live with the information she had been handed. Or perhaps force-fed was more accurate. Learning she was some sort of a product of eugenics and careful breeding did not help one bit. The holy purposeful attitude her parents had about such a job left her wondering if they were blind to her behaviour so far. They should've known she would rebel against that kind of thing, special ability or not.

Morning came and she was working on barely a few hours of sleep when she came down after showering her hair still wet. After eating the scrambled eggs and bacon without a word she grabbed her pack and hopped into the Jeep headed for school ignoring the demands from her mother to stop and have a conversation. The fact that her father hadn't joined in only meant that it was okay for her to leave and figure this out. She was halfway to school when she got the message and realised she forgot something, or rather someone. Using a hands-free system she called Izzie and let her know. "Sorry, it's been a rough morning. I'll be right there to tell you about it." While she wasn't sure last night she was certain that Isabel should know what was going on. It was impossible to miss the deduction that she was becoming one of these Omens but that didn't give Liz any comfort.

She rolled up rather quickly as she was halfway to her place as well. "Hop in." She said and rather than head to school she took towards one of their hangouts that few people knew of a trek just outside of town. "I have something serious to talk to you about, school is irrelevant for now. To her it was, there were more serious things to consider and it was very likely they would need to start running if she was correct and Izzie was becoming an Omen. There was no way she would hunt down her best friend or let her parents do it instead. Once they were off the road she sighed and rubbed her eyes clearly lacking sleep before she started to share everything she learned and not bothering to filter the information. It explained why Izzie had a bad feeling about it, but it also explained that it wasn't that the Omens are causing these things, but rather they are seeing them and feeling them. Unless there was something deeper there. "I still firmly believe you are seeing these things because you are supposed to stop and avoid them. I'll be there for you, so please don't do anything irrational." She asked with a weak smile fatigue getting to her. She wanted to sleep, in fact, if she had gone to school they would have likely sent her back home to sleep.

Isabel waited impatiently for her friend to pick her up. She was worried and fidgeting, wondering what she meant by a rough morning. Even small problems sounded monumental now that everything was spiraling out of control. She was wearing a hoodie today even though it was warm. The bumps on her back had grown again. So when Liz stopped suddenly at the end of her driveway, she did as she was told and didn't question that they weren't headed for school. She pulled over someplace they wouldn't be looked for and Isabel grew more worried every mile. Liz looked exhausted. She wouldn't be able to go to school anyway.

And then she explained everything. Isabel couldn't look away as her friend rambled and tried to repeat things her parents had said verbatim. Finally, they were getting answers, but none of them were good. By the time Liz finished, Izzie could hear her heart pounding in her ears as her world turned on its head.
"I still firmly believe you are seeing these things because you are supposed to stop and avoid them. I'll be there for you, so please don't do anything irrational." She asked with a weak smile fatigue getting to her.
"Heh. Irrational. Right," she breathed. "As if any of this could be considered rational.."
tumblr_inline_p9zz67nDFP1sh6het_250.gif

"Um. Well." Isabel could see how tired Liz was. She had to take charge, regardless of how terrified she was. "If you're right about..Omens. Then my mom might know something about this. I shouldn't have left her out of this. But she won't be home til dark and your parents will be suspicious if you're gone from school and from home afterward. I'll..go through the day at school and cover for you so they won't call your parents about an absence. You can hide out at my house and rest. We can figure this out. Together," she reached for Elizabeth's hands and held them in both of hers. "I'll take the bus home after school and meet you then. For now, do you think you could drop me off at school and drive back to mom's house? I'll leave my house key here in the cupholder," she pulled it out and showed it to her, then let it rattle when she dropped it into the cupholder between them. She heard the sound louder in her ears than she thought it would have been.

Rubbing at her face with her hands trying to somehow make herself less worn out Liz felt bad that she was leaving her friend all alone to fend for herself with all the headaches and... Visions? It was so hard to believe but impossibel to deny the evidence shown to her. Sure computer animation and props were highly realistic nowadays but the look of utter terror on the faces of these 'omens' as they were being restrained was as real as it could get. There were few gritty details that Liz decided to keep quiet about, too terrified to voice as it would make her parents out to be monsters. With a faint smile twice as sad as it looked she fought to accept that fact. They were still her parents, even if they were involved in these inhumane practices. How?! She wondered internally for some time before realising Isabel is there at her side. It was so easy to get lost in her thoughts now, she was too tired.

"I should go with you, to keep an eye out if you have another headache." She turned the car around and headed for the school. It was unfortunately glaringly obvious she won't be of much use in school as her thoughts and mind were distance and mere driving took all of her focus. If the situation wasn't how it was she wouldn't dare drive in this state. By the time they arrived, driving at well below speed limit, she sighed, fatigue was clear in her voice. "You're right, I should rest. I'm sorry, Izzie. For my parents, for the news, for being so useless right now." She hugged her friend and said her goodbye then headed towards her house as agreed. Upon arriving she parked the car in the driveway and let herself in collapsing on the couch and settling into a restless sleep right away.

((sorry you waited so long T-T I still don't have internet in my house but I'm finding ways to get some posts out))

Liz took a little while to respond and Isabel worried she might be too tired to drive by herself. She couldn't think of another way she could sleep though unless she wanted to nap in her car?
"I should go with you, to keep an eye out if you have another headache." She turned the car around and headed for the school.
Isabel kept her eyes peeled, paying attention in case her friend missed anything on the road as she turned around back toward school. She kept her back off of the seatback. It ached too much to press her lumps against anything. "No way; it's not like they'll be any less frequent with or without you. I can handle myself for today. Let me take care of you for once," she pushed, her tone slipping firmly into a stern Mom voice her friends used to joke about with her. Her friends... Max, Janai, even Dave had been texting her-- concerned about how flaky and out of it she seemed lately. She kept brushing them off or leaving their texts unread, but she knew she had to face them soon enough. Especially if she did have to run away from Liz's parents. Or based on how fast her lumps were growing...fly away. Izzie shook her head; she didn't have time to overthink things, not today. They got back to the school safely, just in time for the first bell.
"You're right, I should rest. I'm sorry, Izzie. For my parents, for the news, for being so useless right now." She hugged her friend and said her goodbye then headed towards her house as agreed.
"You're not useless. I couldn't do any of this without you, Liz," Isabel squeezed her best friend tightly, masking the pain of Liz's arms pressing against her budding wings by burying her head in the other girl's shoulder before she gave a wan smile, "Drive safe," and dashed out toward the front entrance. At least she wouldn't be bombarded by questions until later in the day.
---
Staying focused in class wasn't going to happen today. She couldn't believe how long this week felt. And it was only Wednesday! Her back muscles spasmed around another cramp. Isabel grit her teeth and took deep breaths. It was like period cramps, but worse because it was all along her back and spine. All she could do was deplete her ibuprofen bottle and wait for it to fade again.
At lunch, she sat with Janai and Max and they tried to draw her into conversation, but she couldn't really keep up, so only gave short vague answers. Everything was so loud today. It was almost uncomfortable and under normal circumstances it would give her a headache, but somehow the sounds were much clearer than just noise. She heard Richard step into the cafeteria from across the large room full of teenagers. He sat with Izzie and her friends with an urgent air about him. "Do you guys know what's going on with Liz? She hasn't been answering my texts or calls lately," He asked the question to the table in general, but kept glancing at Isabel, knowing she probably had the answer. Izzie sighed, came up with a quick lie. "
"She's getting sick. Not hospital sick or anything, just a bad headcold. She's exhausted, trying to sleep it off without taking medicine; you know how she is. I've been taking care of her, I should have reminded her to check her texts," Isabel nodded, giving an apologetic smile.
"Is that why you guys have been so weird lately?" Max stated, finally addressing the elephant in the room.
"Yeah I've been trying to convince her to stay home, but her parents would kill her. Super strict, you know. I'm covering for her, so try not to mention her absence okay guys?"
Janai didn't look too convinced, but Max went back to his cafeteria spaghetti.
"Is there anything I can do? Stop by with soup or...something?" Richard asked, looking helpless. Isabel sighed, she knew that look too well now.
"I, uh. I think she's embarrassed. Probably doesn't want to get you sick either. I'll make sure she texts you later okay?"
The bell rang. Isabel let out a huge sigh of relief. She had a feeling she would have to keep practicing lying this much. She wasn't used to it.
--

The bus after school was too boisterous and distracting to let her keep a straight train of thought. It was strange now, this weird selectively strong hearing. Isabel knew it was abnormal, but she much preferred this over any of the other 'powers' she was suddenly developing. Besides, it was kind of a relief to stop overthinking for the duration of the ride.
When she got off and remembered she'd left her house key with Liz, she knocked on the door with more force than necessary, wondering if she was still sleeping. Isabel tried to take deep breaths. There was... a lot to talk about. She just hope that first and foremost, Liz was okay.

Reactions: Snowflake
The sleep was a problematic one. Despite collapsing right away her thoughts were still a raging storm of anger, helplessness and uncertainty. It was driving her insane as she tossed and turned in her sleep, head throbbing and body becoming covered in sweat as it soaked into her clothes. Why did it have to be her parents and her best friend, was the world just taking a piss by pulling her in two different directions to see if she breaks. If anyone were in the room with her they would hear her mumble incomprehensible strings of syllables and weep in her sleep. Only a single night without sleep and stress was getting to her head this much. All the repressed problems of the before, whenever her parents demanded perfection and she failed to see the importance, all of it collapsed into itself here and now. It was a nightmare, she was jostled from her sleep every few minutes but was just as quick to go out again.

When the knocks came from the door she sat up straight like spring-loaded. She was still wound up from it all. The sleep as restless as it was did help her organize her thoughts a little. She was certain now that her parents could not be obeyed. Before she disobeyed and protested it because she was having too much fun breaking from their norm, now there was a proper and serious reason to do so. He wiped off the sweat from her brow and straightened her hair as she headed for the door unlocking it right away and pulling her friend inside to hug her tightly, paying attention not to squeeze her around the lumps.

"I'm here for you. No matter what you decide, I'll be there to help you." She whispered into her shoulder before letting her go. "How are you feeling?" Even though she wasn't all too hot herself Liz was concerned for her friend more than for herself.

Isabel heard her swift footsteps just beyond the door before it opened and she was pulled into a fierce hug she gasped into and tensed. Well that was unexpected.
"I'm here for you. No matter what you decide, I'll be there to help you." She whispered into her shoulder before letting her go.
Isabel hugged her back, concerned about what might have happened while she was gone. Liz still looked exhausted and here she was, asking how she was doing.
"I'm fine. Normal...almost. Just worried about you," she responded, softly, carefully placing a soothing hand to Liz's cheek. "Let's go inside," she ushered the blonde further into her house and locked the door behind them. "Have you even eaten anything today?"
Just a few moments ago she'd been planning to go into their plan on what to do about her...situation and Liz's parents' involvement and what might be really going on, but now. That could wait. They needed a breather. Liz definitely needs one. She started toward the kitchen, anticipating Liz's response while shedding her hoodie and backpack by the coffee table. The bumps on her back were showing plainly even under her thick tee-shirt.

"Hmm? No, I... Yeah, I guess I sorta forgot." Liz admittedly did forget to eat something and while stress did not seem all too appetizing she was having that in spades. Still, she knew she also needed a bit of food despite not wanting for any. At least now Izzie was around and she could be a bit at ease now that her friend was within her sight. "It's alright, I don't need any big meal, just a granola bar will do for now." She tried to dissuade Isabel from getting distracted. She knew they had to have a plan in the works. Whether Izzie decided to listen to her or insisted on making something to eat Elizabeth still insisted they at least discuss things.

"I know they're my parents but... Fuck I cannot be responsible for what they do. I will at least take what they taught me and use it to protect you." She spoke with certainty. Whatever happened she knew she would be there to keep her friend safe from the world. "They tried to turn me into a hunter, now I will ensure they cannot hunt a damn thing. We will have to run soon." She knew her parents, they weren't the kind to leave things to chance. They were both also incredibly clever and intelligent. "It won't be long before they add up the two and two. Sooner or later they will come either for me or for you. Depending on where they start to connect the dots. We need to go soon, tonight even." She couldn't believe what she was saying. She was prepared to leave everything behind, her entire life, all her dreams and aspirations. Her boyfriend, her band, her friends. All that to keep her first and best friend beside her.

"Hmm? No, I... Yeah, I guess I sorta forgot." Liz admittedly did forget to eat something and while stress did not seem all too appetizing she was having that in spades.
Isabel sighed and started toward the kitchen to at least put together a sandwich for her.
"It's alright, I don't need any big meal, just a granola bar will do for now." She tried to dissuade Isabel from getting distracted.
"You can talk and eat at the same time, Liz, I've seen it," she dismissed her urgent energy calmly, a stark contrast to Liz's worries. Isabel would be her rock for now. She felt like she's been so anxious for so long that she was beyond hysterics at this point. She was growing wings out of her back and her best friend's parents might come hunt her down and kidnap her because of it. Yep.
"I know they're my parents but... Fuck I cannot be responsible for what they do. I will at least take what they taught me and use it to protect you." She spoke with certainty. Whatever happened she knew she would be there to keep her friend safe from the world. "They tried to turn me into a hunter, now I will ensure they cannot hunt a damn thing. We will have to run soon." She knew her parents, they weren't the kind to leave things to chance.
Isabel listened with kind and worried eyes, her movements slow and deliberate. She only turned away from Liz to open the fridge and grab some lunchmeat. There was a sticky note attached to an aluminum foil covering a plate inside. The note said: Talk to me, hija. Isabel winced, but ignored it for now. She could deal with her own mom later.
"It won't be long before they add up the two and two. Sooner or later they will come either for me or for you. Depending on where they start to connect the dots. We need to go soon, tonight even."
Isabel finished the sandwich and pressed it flat the way Liz liked it, then pushed the plate across the counter to her. "Not tonight. Eat." she insisted. "If they haven't figured out what I am for this long, I doubt a few more days would change that. Besides, what 'we' are you talking about? This is my problem, Liz. I can't let you drop out of high school, or your band, your Life, just because of me! If I have to, then that will be how I have to survive I guess, but you're not coming with me."

"NO!" Liz said sharply and took a bite quickly afterwards swallowing the half-chewed bite of sandwich. "These are my folks, I can't do what they do. You didn't see the videos. I cannot stay, I have to run too. Either we run separately and we get caught or we stick together. And we should run soon. I can feel it more clearly now that I am aware of it." She paused to take a bite again and swallow quickly. "They will start sensing it soon too, maybe tomorrow, maybe the day after, maybe even now they can feel you and are gearing up." She kept eating and talking between bites, taking a glass of water to wash it down. "We need to leave tonight, once you talk to your mother. You have no idea what they're capable of." Her eyes and thoughts wandered, connecting the pieces and dots of interactions throughout the years. "I always thought they were just fitness buffs and martial arts fanatics that all the nonsense was just a quirk because they grew up a certain way. No... They were training me from the start. They FUCKING BRED ME Isabel! They made me not out of love but out of eugenics!"

She was furious, more so than ever before. She was always combative and it seemed she wasn't going to change how she deals with this kind of situation. Her fist was clenched and her fingernails dug into the flesh with the brow furrowed more than ever before. "I won't allow them to control me or my thoughts. I am leaving, you are leaving. We need to let your mother know, see if she will come along, but you cannot stay. No more than one night and even then we leave at the crack of dawn. So don't fight me on this and help me figure out where do we run." This was no joke, Liz was more serious about this than anything ever before.

Isabel flinched at Liz's loud tone. She was still really sensitive to noises. What did this have to do with being able to see the future anyway? Or was this just some sort of normal human illness borne from stress. It didn't matter to her. She shook her head and winced whenever Liz got louder.
Either we run separately and we get caught or we stick together. And we should run soon. I can feel it more clearly now that I am aware of it." She paused to take a bite again and swallow quickly. "They will start sensing it soon too, maybe tomorrow, maybe the day after, maybe even now they can feel you and are gearing up." She kept eating and talking between bites, taking a glass of water to wash it down. "We need to leave tonight, once you talk to your mother. You have no idea what they're capable of."
"But you know what I am. They don't. Why would they be able to find me now and not the first day I moved here? Or even the day these bumps showed up?" she asked softly, but Liz just kept trying to convince her. She clenched her teeth, but that just made her forming headache hurt more. She was starting to develop way too high a tolerance for ibuprofen.
"I always thought they were just fitness buffs and martial arts fanatics that all the nonsense was just a quirk because they grew up a certain way. No... They were training me from the start. They FUCKING BRED ME Isabel! They made me not out of love but out of eugenics!"
Isabel looked down, ashamed that she hadn't thought of how much this had affected her too. Yes, her body was going bonkers, but Liz's family was a part of this too. Would she be able to live with them if she was in her shoes?...Probably not. But Liz was always far more courageous than Isabel ever had been. She was afraid to run away; she didn't know how to do it. Especially on such short notice. She bit her lip worriedly.
"I won't allow them to control me or my thoughts. I am leaving, you are leaving. We need to let your mother know, see if she will come along, but you cannot stay. No more than one night and even then we leave at the crack of dawn. So don't fight me on this and help me figure out where do we run." This was no joke, Liz was more serious about this than anything ever before.
"Okay!" she took a deep breath. "Okay...Can I convince you to stay at least until the end of the week? I'll talk to my mom tonight, but if we leave so soon I think it would be too suspicious. Just...act normal, maybe even learn more about your parents'...Hunter stuff while you still can before we head out with no idea what we're really up against. I mean...don't you want time to say goodbye? Some last few days of normalcy? Come to school with me. Talk to our friends...your boyfriend.." she gave her best friend a pleading look. "I think we'll both regret if we don't."

"But you know what I am. They don't. Why would they be able to find me now and not the first day I moved here? Or even the day these bumps showed up?" she asked softly, but Liz just kept trying to convince her.
"Why do you think they settled here after so much moving? They must have sensed something in this town." Liz said calmly and silently. The truth was more dreadful than she wanted to admit, likely her parents already had that suspicion growing within them, that pull of the gut and that itch in the mack of their mind. She felt her teeth grind against each other as she knew all too well how that sensation was. It was why she was so driven to help Isabel.
"Okay!" she took a deep breath. "Okay...Can I convince you to stay at least until the end of the week? I'll talk to my mom tonight, but if we leave so soon I think it would be too suspicious. Just...act normal, maybe even learn more about your parents'...Hunter stuff while you still can before we head out with no idea what we're really up against. I mean...don't you want time to say goodbye? Some last few days of normalcy? Come to school with me. Talk to our friends...your boyfriend.." she gave her best friend a pleading look. "I think we'll both regret if we don't."
Her brows furrowed a little bit. She stared intently at her friend, deliberating internally if that was a smart idea. She was prepared to run away this instant but Izzie... Perhaps she had a point. At least Richard deserved a proper goodbye. He didn't deserve to be left wondering what was going on. Although perhaps it was better to not let him know what is going to happen. Not entirely at least, otherwise he might get involved and try to run as well. She couldn't afford to bring more people into this mess. Isabel and she were involved by blood and birth, others still had a future ahead of them.

"Fine... I'll try and act as normal as I can given the situation. I'll be a cranky teenager and yell at my parents and then go to school and say goodbye to everyone. But we leave Friday morning, use the chance to get a head start." She said as if it was decided and there was no debate there. She rubbed her eyes and sighed. This was a lot to deal with but the sooner they were on the road the better it will be. "What a fine mess we've gotten ourselves into." She shook her head and chuckled. "Are you gonna be okay? Want me to stick around until your mum gets back home?"