Closing Open Registration on January 15th

Status
Not open for further replies.
THAT member count is Daily Logins. That's how many people are actually logging in to the site on a semi daily basis.
That's going to be problematic... I don't log in daily - I leave my account logged in and the website open so I can just hit refresh and see all the notifications and stuff that have accumulated. According to your logs I probably haven't logged in for a good couple of months, so wouldn't I count as inactive? Wouldn't daily post count be a better idea?

That's going to be problematic... I don't log in daily - I leave my account logged in and the website open so I can just hit refresh and see all the notifications and stuff that have accumulated. According to your logs I probably haven't logged in for a good couple of months, so wouldn't I count as inactive? Wouldn't daily post count be a better idea?

Oh, it still counts even if you haven't "technically" logged in! Your account still updates as active because you've visited the site while logged in!

Oh, it still counts even if you haven't "technically" logged in! Your account still updates as active because you've visited the site while logged in!
Then I have no further problems :D I look forward to hopefully a better community! Now I shall be able to effectively achieve my goal of becoming the most hated user! MWAHAHAHA

I think this is a good idea. It's not actually going to affect anyone already here, guys.

Excellent. Thanks for the heads up.

This is terrible. =/

I don't know about anyone else, but if I'd been in the search of a new forum for roleplaying, and I'd come across this place only to see that I need an invite from someone already on the forum? I definitely would have said 'well screw you guys too' and move on to someone else. I definitely wouldn't bookmark the site and keep checking back in the hopes that I catch an open enrollment period. Since when does roleplaying have to be as annoying as health insurance?

And then everyone here would not be able to enjoy my writing, and I wouldn't be able to have met the cool folks here that I have.

And you might not have played with me so you might not care- but think about your favorite writing partners. What if they'd tried to join after the registrations were closed, and had then moved on elsewhere? It's easy to not get riled up over lost opportunities you never knew you had, but try to wrap your heads around the potential amazing writers and friendships that will never have the chance to happen because of this change.

Seems awful to me.

I too would skip a roleplay site if their registrations were closed, and likely forget all about it.

But you know what, if bitches can't run their site because there are too many people for them to handle, then the logical thing to do is to stop letting in so many people until they get things under control, instead of continuing to do a shit job of running the site. o___o;

If you CAN'T do it, you shouldn't be doing it. A restaurant is not going to keep serving more and more people when they are crowded, running out of food and under staffed. D: They HAVE to reduce and downsize. Otherwise no one will go there anymore ANYWAY cause the place sucks balls. >>

if bitches can't run their site because there are too many people for them to handle
I would challenge the logic that people need so much handling.

This isn't a restaurant; there isn't a limited number of seats, we don't need cooks to make content for us, we don't need waitresses to direct us around. This is more like a picnic ground- we might need one or two security guards to break up fights, but generally people should be bringing their own food, and cleaning up after themselves.

This isn't a school where we need teachers and faculty running things, this is an open message board where all we need is a giant wall upon which to staple our writings.

And that should also explain exactly why limited access to this place is such a bad idea.

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
And then everyone here would not be able to enjoy my writing, and I wouldn't be able to have met the cool folks here that I have.
Think about it this way: if you went somewhere else, then they would be able to enjoy your writing, and you'd probably meet lots of cool folks there too. :o I don't think hypotheticals like that have much meaning...

would challenge the logic that people need so much handling.
I don't think you understand the sheer volume of reports the staff handle daily. :ferret:

EDIT

Also, think site maintenance. Whenever they change categories up and what not, they have to move every thread in that category. That's a lot of man hours.

Think about it this way: if you went somewhere else, then they would be able to enjoy your writing, and you'd probably meet lots of cool folks there too. :o I don't think hypotheticals like that have much meaning...
And I very well might have to in order to meet new people, as this place will become a stagnant pool otherwise.

And I very well might have to in order to meet new people, as this place will become a stagnant pool otherwise.
There's also no guarantee that this change of no open registrations is permanent. The only reason I'm tentatively supporting it is because I realize that if it becomes a problem and we bleed more members than we gain, we can always ask to open registrations again.

I don't think you understand the sheer volume of reports the staff handle daily. :ferret:
I don't think you understand my point. Let people handle their own stuff. If it's a bug, okay, add it to the work list and let people know it'll be fixed when it can be. If it's a personal problem- there's an ignore function. Tell people to grow up and handle their own crap. This isn't kindergarten.
Also, think site maintenance. Whenever they change categories up and what not, they have to move every thread in that category. That's a lot of man hours.
I'd infinitely rather have the opportunity to meet and play with new people, than to have new categories. Leave the site as it is and let the new members come up with new content, not have it forced upon us from above by administrative changes made on a stagnant membership.

There's also no guarantee that this change of no open registrations is permanent. The only reason I'm tentatively supporting it is because I realize that if it becomes a problem and we bleed more members than we gain, we can always ask to open registrations again.
I already think it's a problem. That's why I'm saying they should remain open in the first place.

I don't think you understand my point. Let people handle their own stuff. If it's a bug, okay, add it to the work list and let people know it'll be fixed when it can be. If it's a personal problem- there's an ignore function. Tell people to grow up and handle their own crap. This isn't kindergarten.
Unfortunately that just doesn't work! I've been on forums with little to no moderation and fights got really out of control. Not everyone is that mature.

I would challenge the logic that people need so much handling.

This isn't a restaurant; there isn't a limited number of seats, we don't need cooks to make content for us, we don't need waitresses to direct us around. This is more like a picnic ground- we might need one or two security guards to break up fights, but generally people should be bringing their own food, and cleaning up after themselves.

This isn't a school where we need teachers and faculty running things, this is an open message board where all we need is a giant wall upon which to staple our writings.

And that should also explain exactly why limited access to this place is such a bad idea.

EDIT

There is a LOT more that goes in to running a good, active, healthy community than just posting up the boards and letting people play. O_O A LOT. Otherwise it would be easy for people to go out there and make an rp forum last longer than 6 months.

If your biggest concerns are about stagnation, registrations are not completely closed. There's unlimited invites, open reg dates, we're not going to run out of new people. We're just limiting the amount we get.

And if you biggest concern is about that poor person who decides "fuck this!" when they can't register right away - you don't need to. There are other great roleplay sites out there who deserve awesome people just as much as we do. If we don't get that one person, that's okay. They'll still be able to find places to play. And if they REALLY want to try Iwaku, there will be opportunities. Hell, closed registration in Iwaku is now going to give a lot of smaller starting RP sites a chance to grab members that might have ignored them otherwise! This is good for them!

@Diana

But BUt... I dont want the other sites to do well... I want them to suffer... Suffer a horrible fate of doom and destruction. While we rise to the top as the best RP Site in the world....

(Ps i dont disapprove your decision... I just never heard of such a thing as a website not wanting more members lol. That really shows me how well this site is doing haha)

• Love
Reactions: Kyy Namosaka
@Diana haters gonna hate. ^^

At the end of the day, if this makes things easier to handle for the staff, then I'm for it!

As it's been said, the doors aren't closing forever, guys! THE SKY IS NOT FALLING I PROMISE! <3

Will there be reopening for staff and community volunteers? I'm happy to help in anyway I can! ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.