(CLOSED SIGNUPS) Let the games begin-OOC thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice.

Might I recommend maybe doing some kind of two man throw/climb with Elizabeth to get up?

Or you could just beast it yourselves and get up solo. Either is cool, just thought I would share an idea.

*appears*

Hi, Could I join you please? I just joined I'm bored out of my brains and not quite sure what to do yet. And sci-fi/fantasy/steampunk sounds like just what I need

Hello Rhian! Thank you for being polite and asking in here as opposed to just barging in into the actual RP. I will ask the others in a message. I will say we did turn down another person already so don't get your hopes up.

How ever if this one does not work out for you to participate, I would love to start something new with you! :)

Any chance of some critique on my last? I was pretty happy with it but I'm quite tired and might've missed some things.

I'll read through it again just to check but heres what I think!

Your writing is clear and understandable. I had no trouble visualizing what was going on.

How ever, I did not have the disk throwers attack fandirm yet. By the time the disk throwers take the center platform, Fandrim and Elizabeth should be ready to scale the wall. The strategy was to let the disk throwers take the center to give them a false sense of advantage, thinking that they got the high ground with no resistance. Then they attack Oliver and Lena who are out in the open in a phalanx maneuver. So when they start attacking they can't see that Elizabeth and Fandrim are close to the tower. They take the disk throwers by surprise. Then when you two have engaged the disk throwers, Lena and Oliver break off and go after the mages who made the steam cover. Make sense?

So I would say (and I honestly don't care 100%....maybe like 50% care) change the part about the initial disk throwing, and instead of her surprising you, you surprise her? Make sense? But if you left it as is, I won't pitch a fit, though there is some inconsistency between my post and yours.

It felt more like they were simply advancing together to attack us - being able to switch targets quickly seems like a skill of the mechanics to me - that's what I was going on. Plus, having control of my opponent does give me the opportunity to create a more focal point for me in later posts - on top of that tower. A phalanx manouver might draw some attention and deflect some shots, but the shield probably isn't that big, and as we can still see through the mist I think that its safe to say we can also be seen well enough. I read your post carefully beforehand just so I could consider this sort of thing.

Ok. It was my intention to have the mist cover right up till the the center 20 foot tower. Oliver did not see them running to the center, he anticipated it. So we couldn't see the movements until they were on the tower. And they couldn't see us. The casters stayed back and made the mist while the techs ran up to the platform. Where you would then ambush them.

And you are right, the shield isn't that big. It would be more akin to using a Captain America sized shield (perhaps smaller) to defend some one in a game of intense dodge ball while they threw from behind the shield wielder. The speed of the guns/slingers/casters would be that of Avatar bending. Dodgeable and blockable, but NOT super high speeds.

Did that clarify well?

But for reals, it's not a big deal to me. If you leave it as is it won't effect anything. In the end Fandrim engaged the slinger on the platform and took the pressure off of Oliver and Lena. So I am content. Truthfully.

**I edited where the bold underlined all caps not is ^

I do sort of like it as is, and as is often said - no good plan survives contact with the enemy. This is just a good way of showing that.

Hey all, I've read and reread the posts. Just trying to get a handle on what's happening. There's a lot of tactical talk here that is going way over my head. But I am working on a post! Attempting to, at least.

Digi, do you have any preconceived ideas about the Storm Chasers (other than what's been stated)? Or is it kind of a free-for-all, mold-as-we-go type of team? I'm not sure if I'll need to control any opponents yet, but if I do I want to make sure that person aligns with your plans.

Let me break it down

What was planned
-plan was to let storm take the center
-Oliver and Lena distract them while Elizabeth and fendrim climbed tower
-Fendrim and Elizabeth ambush the two on the tower
-lena and oliver hunt down casters who were not on the tower

Whats happened
-oliver is defending for lena
-Fandrim rushed and got to the tower first (no waiting)
-I think Elizabeth did the same (not sure tho)
-lena and oliver are now free to engage casters.

As far as the opponents, keep the elements the same and classes the same but i have no other details pre made. I will control enemies for people who dont want to control them as far as which one we engage head on.

Hey guys. So I was thinking about my character Oliver. I think I need to improve on how I play out his strategist-ness. Here's my thinking. If Oliver makes a plan that doesn't make sense to you the readers, or If your characters decide to do their own thing, whats the point in Oliver?

So what I want from you guys is some advice. I don't want to just have Oliver bark out commands that squishes the life out of your creativity. If you just do everything how I tell you, that's no fun. So here is my questions.

How can I as a Game Master better explain or make up tactics that Oliver creates?
How can I as a writer make the plans more understandable?
How can Oliver make strategies while making best use of your characters skills and personalities?
How can Oliver make a plan that the other characters would want to follow?
How can I make tactics that leave plenty of room for creativity from you guys?

I know that it may be a lot to answer all those, but you would really do me a favor in answering them. I also think that it will greatly improve the RP. So please help me out here :)

Sorry that took forever! I had difficulty figuring out how much control I had with the other team. Had I come here first, I think I could have solved a lot of my problems. -_-

Apologies also if my post was in some way inconsistent with those before it. Again, if I had read Digi's chronology here first it would've been an easier write.

As for your questions, Digi,

How can I as a Game Master better explain or make up tactics that Oliver creates? Perhaps we just need to dedicate more time to the pre-game strategy. A single paragraph embedded in the middle of a long post is not very easy to respond to. But if its closer to the end, then characters who are more independent will have time to voice objections. Maybe?

How can I as a writer make the plans more understandable? For me, it was difficult to understand only because so much was going on in the same paragraph. When Oliver describes what he believes is the Storm Chaser's strategy, he simultaneously describes how his team should counteract it. Rather than discuss both at the same time, I'd suggest leaving the other team's strategy out. Let Oliver direct his team as he sees fit. Consider writing out what Oliver is thinking only if another character asks. After all, introspection is not something a roleplayer can respond to.

How can Oliver make strategies while making best use of your characters skills and personalities? Maybe this warrants further planning. Perhaps our characters' personal tactics, battle strategies, strengths, and weaknesses should be something we add to our bios.

How can Oliver make a plan that the other characters would want to follow? Since the canon of this world is that Oliver is a respectable leader with incredible intuition, there is no reason our characters shouldn't follow him. I'm content with how he leads now.

How can I make tactics that leave plenty of room for creativity from you guys? I think what you did earlier was perfect - give vague enough orders that allow the players to decide how they want to carry them out. I think the confusion with Fandrim and Elizabeth "going rogue" just boils down to miscommunication.

I hope this helps, but please take it with a grain of salt. :)

It was taken with two grains of freshly ground sea salt from the Mediterranean sea! Very helpful! Seriously, thank you! Since I can't show you my face of pure gratitude, I will instead leave you with a saying my dorm brothers and I coined

"If you see a brother messing up or not being the best he can be, you must confront him. To not do so would be a disservice to your brother."

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
How can I as a Game Master better explain or make up tactics that Oliver creates?
Well, I found the way Oliver treated the enemy as a little bit contrived - sure, knowing common battle tactics and combat strats is fine, but he felt...too much like he knew exactly what they were going to do. That's a bit of a problem with the GM also having a character who controls battle strategies. Since its a free form, prose only game with no dice it doesn't really matter, but you should try to be more detached and have him be less sure - back up plans are important.

How can I as a writer make the plans more understandable?
The plans, for me, are fine enough to understand. I just have a character with his own way of doing things and still getting results - even if said results do almost get him killed every once in a while.

How can Oliver make strategies while making best use of your characters skills and personalities?
Talk to the character's about it in game, each - I expect - would react in a different way and have their own ideas. Even the greatest general had his lieutenants and tactical aides.

How can Oliver make a plan that the other characters would want to follow?
Fandrim's an independent fighter who likes Oliver - that's why he follows him. That's why he follows him. He doesn't see him so much as a leader as a friend and team-mate who sometimes tries telling Fandrim what to do.

How can I make tactics that leave plenty of room for creativity from you guys?
Well, Oliver's a strategist - not a tactician, is that not so? I feel like you should focus more on pre battle, long term combat plans rather than on the in battle tactics - tactics being an in battle decision for each individual character. An overall unity, with a gooey, fluid centre.

Thanks for the input Belakor! Greatly appreciated!

So I was watching Young Justice and I had an idea. Aqua-lads weapons control water. He can use it to shot out water "bullets", he make water melee weapons, he can make a water shield, and control water like a water bender. Could this be a viable option for Battle Mechanics?

I LOVE Young Justice!

I think an Aqualad-type weapon is totally plausible, but it sounds like a very, very high end gadget. A machine that produces a water whip, shield, and bullets is something I'd imagine only the extremely well-sponsored teams to own.

That's my two cents!

Aqua-Lad uses Atlantean Sorcery last time I checked...

EDIT: not to say its a bad idea - something similar to his channellers using pseudo-science or something could work.

Last edited by a moderator:
First off, let me say that anyone who loves that show gains cool points. Several of them.

Aqualads powers are based in sorcery, although I'm not sure about his weapons. But most likely they are.

I would agree, a pseudo science (some type of energy that doesn't exist in our world) could control water. And I imagine it would be something that would be on the pricier end.

I was thinking that something like that would be more useful for Oliver then a Cryo Gun. I think the cryo gun is cool, but I feel that Aqualads "water conductors" would give me more room for creativity. Maybe he will get some laterzzzz. Assuming the RP goes long enough.

So we had a break in the RP yesterday. Which I think was a good thing, I was feeling overwhelmed to be honest. But the break helped me clear my head and make me excited again. By my count, two opponents are down. The only two left are Belakors Stone slinger and Mikas Fire caster.

Lastly upon reflection of Oliver, I feel like he is more of a tactician then a strategist according to Belakors explanation of the two words. Sure, there are strategies that have been thought out before the game, but mostly he is a 'in battle tactician'. I Have thought of many ways to make it so that I leave free will to you guys, but still work in tactics from Oliver that would use your characters strengths. Thank you soooo much for the input. It has really helped me out!

Status
Not open for further replies.