*Closed* Royal and Not *Lady AlainXShadow Assassin*

• Thread starter DJae Writer Chick
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched closely as he wrapped the leather and sharpened the blade. When it was finished, I smiled. "Thank you kind sir." I said, taking it in one hand. It felt just like mine, only it wasn't as flashy. "How much do I owe?" I asked, looking at him.
The general returned, but was silent as he stood by the door. He did not enter, smiling faintly. He knew that with my back to him, I did not know he was there.

I flushed again at her words and bowed my head. Kind sir? Did she not see the monster in me? Did she not fear the giant? I mumbled at her thanks and gestured to Boss, who was just finishing another horseshoe. Since Ellie had freely said they'd pay any price, I knew he'd milk her for all she'd give him and would be furious if we didn't take advantage. I didn't have the heart to ask her for more than a fair price. "I have to go man the bellows. He'll talk price with you." I paused and offered her a shy smile. "You're welcome to come watch... any time." I then made my way to the back of the shop to stoke the fire again.

Boss took over where I left off. "Well, m'lady, ye 'ave a fine sword there. Be ye satisfied 'nough to pay 10 gold?"

My jaw tightened. The sword was worth a gold piece at most, but I kept my mouth shut and focused on the bellows.

I nodded. Easy enough. I took ten gold pieces from my pocket, handing them to the boss. The General walked over. "That's a nice sword." He said quietly. I nodded, glancing to the back of the shop and smiling faintly. "Good day." I said as the general tugged on my elbow and I followed him out.
"Can we stay here a while?" I asked him as he led the way to the room he got.
"Why?"
"Because I want to explore!" I smiled, waving at a few people.
He sighed. "I might be able to arrange it.. Why did you pay so much for the sword?"
"Cause that Boss man asked for that much."
"Didn't it occur to you that it was a waste of money?"
I rolled my eyes. "Didn't it occur to you that they do not have the same lives and reasons for money as we do?"
That earned him silence the rest of the way.

As soon as Ellie left the shop, I paused long enough to yank my shirt back off and toss it to the side. The thought crossed my mind that I maybe should have suggested to Ellie to slump her shoulders a bit more like a peasant, but I shrugged it away. Her business wasn't my business and it was best not to get caught up in the affairs of the nobility. I had a hard enough time surviving the affairs of the common folk.

"Where does a peasant girl get coins like that?" Boss asked in amazement as he pocketed the gold. "Fool girl didn't even barter. She'll be broke if she don't be careful."

"I doubt it," I replied. "She's no peasant."

"Eh? 'ow'd ye make that out?"

"Didn't you notice the way they both knocked even though it was wide open?" I glanced his way and nodded towards the door. "It's a habit the snobs use on each other. I'd say they're mighty sheltered nobility seeing as they didn't barge in here like they owned the place. Maybe a baron's only child." I didn't bother to mention the sword. She had been reluctant enough about it with me and I doubted she wanted me to take liberties with her trust.

"Yer always so observant," Boss chuckled. "But that's what sets ye apart from me apprentices. Ye'll get much farther than any of them, ye will. Just as soon as ye get the folk's trust round 'ere."

I ducked my head at his praise and smiled to myself. I knew better than to say anything after that admission. Boss would take it back in a heartbeat.

I put my royal sword under the bed in the room, slipping the new sword in the old sheath. I looked at the general. "I want you to explore the shops, I've got more research to do."
Before he could object, I left the room, walking around and kindly speaking to the friendly townsfolk.

It was almost sunset as the General was getting unnerved. I hadn't returned yet and he paced in front of the inn, looking around for me.

I had fallen asleep in the book shop, the keeper in the back, unknowing of the time.

Sunset was always my favourite part of the day. As soon as the brilliant colours bathed the sky it was time to let the forge fires die and clean up around the shop. I liked this time of peace after a bustling day. It allowed me to think and today I had more to think about than usual. I had a puzzle named Ellie to solve. My mind was already racing to fill in her story. Why was she running away? Who was she running away from? Where was she running to? What was her relationship with her servant? Straw broom in hand, I swept the dirt floor of the shop while Boss finished organizing finished products along the wall for pick up the next day.

The General gave up. He was not going to wait any longer.. He had to come find me. Walking down the street as calmly as he could, he gently called out, "Ellie!" as he passed a few shops. Some people mentioned seeing me, but no one knew my location at the moment. He groaned softly. "I have to find her.." He mumbled when he saw the bookshop. It was starting to rt dark. He walked over and stood in the doorway of the bookshop. The lights where out and it was hard to see. "Ellie?"

I paused in my sweeping at the doorway when I noticed the manservant from earlier wandering the street without his mistress. He looked like he was searching for her. I watched him curiously, wondering where he might find her.

"Jabez, lock up the shutters if ye don't 'ave anything better to do!" Boss hollered from inside. I propped the broom against the interior wall and shuffled outside to the windows to untie the leather straps holding the wooden shutters open. With my over 6' height, lowering the slabs of wood over the windows was no chore at all, but I took my time and kept my eye on the manservant.

He walked in, glancing around. The bookkeeper walked out. "Hello..." She blinked at me.
The General smiled. "I'll be taking Ellie and going." He said, gently picking me up. He no more than made it out the door before he set me down. He could wield a sword, but he didn't lift weights. He watched me a moment as I continued to sleep. My vice-like grip on my sword handle reminded him how cautious I could be.
"Ellie.." He whispered. I stayed asleep.

The last shutter clanged shut and I slipped the padlock into place to lock it. "All locked up out here, Boss!" I hollered into the shop, exchanging my dirty apron for my equally smudged shirt lying just inside the door. Boss came out of the shop wiping his hands on his pant legs and noticed the manservant carrying his mistress out of the bookshop. Never to pass up helping a wealthy customer, Boss crossed the street and addressed the man.

"'ere now, ye 'aving a bit of trouble with yer lady now?" he said in a conversational tone. "She's might tuckered out to be sleeping so soundly. If ye need her transported anywhere, Jabez will be more than willing to 'elp ye out."

I coloured as Boss's words reached my ears, but made no move to encourage or discourage his offering of my services. I focused extra hard on shouldering the door along the squeaking track until it clicked shut.

The general hesitated, watching me carefully a moment. He pressed a gently hand to my cheek. I didn't move. "Okay...but be careful. She's been known to wake up panicked if she doesn't know what's going on." He said, looking at Jabez as he spoke. He didn't seem too worried though, remembering how I had been so relaxed around the blacksmith. He looked back to me, whispering softly as if I could hear him. "We're going back to the room, just sleep mistress." he pat my shoulder before standing. "And I want to give my humble thanks, I'm sure the mistress will have her own say when she awakens in the morning." He said, smiling faintly.

"Jabez, 'elp the poor bloke's mistress," Boss ordered. He towered over me as I knelt down next to the girl. I wasn't sure how to go about picking the lady up, but it couldn't be that different from carrying an armful of logs, could it? One arm slipped under her knees while the other wrapped securely around her back under her shoulders. As I stood to my feet again, I angled her body so her head fell against my shoulder. I couldn't help myself from gazing at the woman in my arms, trying to put a few more pieces of her puzzle together while her features were softened and vulnerable from deep slumber. I looked over to the manservant.

"Lead the way," I said quietly.

The general nodded, relaxed now that he knew I couldn't get hurt or run away. He led the way back to the room.

I shifted. I knew I was being carried, but I was wiped out. I nuzzled my head slightly against the warm object it was resting on, sighing softly as I slipped back into my deep sleep.

The general paused outside the inn. He opened the door and held it open for Jabez and me. "It's the last room on the right." he said quietly, most of the people in the inn already asleep, allowing Jabez through before going ahead and opening the other door.

Ellie seemed perfectly content to keep slumbering in my arms, though I knew by the way she shifted she could wake up if she wanted to. So, falling asleep in random places without a care in the world must be another luxury she was accustomed to. The manservant opened the door to the inn for me and I ducked through the doorway, keeping my eyes focused straight ahead to block any stares that might come my way. It was a habit of mine in public places. We walked down a hall where the man opened the door to Ellie's room. Again, I ducked my head to avoid smacking my forehead on the low beam. Once inside, I crossed to the bed in the corner and gently laid the maiden down. Turning to the manservant, I bowed.

"Better be getting along, sir," I mumbled.

I shifted slightly, sighing slightly and yawning.
The general glanced over at me, then back to you. He nodded. "I shouldn't keep you longer than needed. Thank you, for your help." He smiled.
I curled up under the covers, hugging the pillow and slipping back into sleep. "Goodnights.." I mumbled before falling completely asleep.

I bowed again and hastily left the room. This was way out of my comfort zone. Darkness was quickly encompassing the village so I jogged the rest of the way to my room above the public stables. It wasn't much, but it was a roof over my head and a corn husk mattress. Plus it had a view. The only window looked out onto the corral below where the stable master let the horses roam during the day. I sunk down wearily on my bed and looked down at my calloused hands. They had held a woman. An attractive woman. As if on cue, my fingers tingled with the remembrance. I didn't want to admit it, but I really liked having her so close. It felt nice being trusted-- so wholly trusted-- by someone. I'd give anything to have that kind of closeness again.

As my eyes closed one last thought drifted through my mind. I wondered how long Ellie would be allowed to stay, and if she'd visit the shop again.

The general laid down to rest, falling asleep in his own bed.
~~
Only a little after the sun had risen, I yawned, sitting up and stretching. Rubbing my eyes, the smell of fresh orange juice wafted through the room. I looked around. The general was writing in his log about the past day's events and my breakfast was sitting on a small tray, an already empty plate in another tray. "Morning."
He jumped slightly. "Morning Princess, how-"
"Not Princess." I corrected him.
"Sorry, miss. How did you sleep?"
"Wonderfully." I said, sipping the orange juice. I took a bite of the toast. "Simply wonderful. Say...what is the longest we're allowed to stay here?"
"Oh..a day or two I suppose."
I sighed softly. "Can we make it a week? Please?" I asked hopefully.
He gave me a curious look, but then looked at the schedule written in his log. "I can extend it most to four days, today, tomorrow, and the day after." He said.
I bit my lip, but nodded. "Okay...I must make the most of it then!" I smiled, eating my breakfast.
Only slightly confused by my comment, the general nodded and continued to record the events in his log, then changed the schedule so he would be sure to visit everywhere the King wanted before we returned home.

As usual, I was up before dawn to sneak into Jasper Hodgesen's orchard for my breakfast. I never took anything from the trees, but rummaged around the fallen fruit to find apples that hadn't rotted yet. This morning I was lucky and found four. I stuffed three of them into my various pockets in my trousers and jerkin and sunk my teeth into the fourth. A smile spread onto my face. This one must have fallen during the night for there wasn't an ounce of sun-baked taste in its flesh.

By the time I made it to the shop, all four apples had been reduced to cores and were discarded along the side of the street. Boss was just raising the first shutter. "Jabez, just in time. Ye fiddle with these shutters, will ye? I'll see to setting up the forge." I nodded and braced my hands under the shutter so he could let it go. First the one shutter was latched, then the second. I walked into the shop and went straight for the woodpile. With the logs Boss had just removed, we were a might bit low. I wandered outside to the wood block to chop logs.

After breakfast and a quick brush of my hair, I decided it was time to have some fun. "Hey, general, did you say there was a competition tonight?"
"Yes, I thought of entering, but would it not be unfair for one trained in swordfighting to enter?"
I shrugged. "I think it'll be fun. I think I might sign up."
He scoffed. "But miss! You might get injured?"
I looked at him and laughed softly. "Yeah....sure. Well, right now I'm going to take a stroll." I said, attaching the sword Jabez made to my belt before wandering out.
The general stood, grabbing his sword and following me, desperate to keep me in his sight this time.
I wandered down the street, watching my feet as I walked, counting the many different colors I saw. Not many people seemed to be out yet.

"Jabez, ye finished yet?" Boss shouted from within the shop.

"Not yet," I called back. "Got a few more logs to go yet."

"Keep on chopping. Sir Vincent is just down the street. 'e may be on 'is way for 'is 'orseshoes."

I sighed and propped yet another log on the woodblock. Maybe someday I wouldn't be treated as a freak, but I doubted it would be any day soon. It was hard to win the confidence of people when you repulsed gentry like Sir Vincent, and you couldn't be a proper blacksmith unless you had the confidence of your customers. I held the axe well above my head and proceeded to hurl it down on the log before me, taking out my frustrations on the wood until I couldn't see it clearly for the tears burning in my eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.