Close to Perfection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miyuki saw Lance stepped out of the classroom. She quickly stood up thinking of following him but a group of girls called out to her. "Miyuki!" She turned to the girls plastering her usual smile on her face. "Miyuki, what was that thing about Lance? Do you guys have... you know.." One of the girls asked shyly. Right, she can remember this girl saying how she came to like him the first time she saw him. Miyuki shook her head to reassure the girl. "Nothing to worry about. That thing a while ago, it was just a misunderstanding, really." The girl then pulled off a smile towards Miyuki and to the other girls. "Thank goodness. I was just worried that if it's Miyuki, I might not have a chance at all. Thank you!" The girls then left, seemed to be relieved by her words. Miyuki didn't understand what she was saying about not having a chance though. But at least, the misunderstanding was cleared up to a few people.

Which reminded her of the current situation. It might not be a good idea for her to stick with Lance. She has caused him enough trouble and any more than this would not be good. And she has a few reasons for herself as well....

Miyuki stepped out of the classroom to go to the nearest vending machine to buy a juice. It didn't took long for her to reach it but a sign was posted on the machine itself. 'Out of Order', it says. "Eeeh.." There's one in the cafeteria too but it always has a long queue. If she remembered it correctly, there is also one on near the Student Council room and students don't really frequent there that much. It wouldn't take too much of a walk either so she decided to make her way there. On her way, she saw a familiar figure eating happily on a window sill. "Isn't that... Lance?" She already decided not to cause any more trouble for him but she was still feeling guilty about everything that happened. She had to apologize.

Gather up all her courage, she walked towards the lad and lightly tapped his back once as she wore a rather worried smile. There were earphones placed in his ear buds so calling out might not work.

Lance had put in his earbuds, listening to his country music and trying to stay awake. The time change still messed with him. He lazily ate from his lunch, blinking and rubbing at his eyes to fight sleep.

"Lance! I thought I told you to stop messing around with that!" His mother chastised when she saw him playing with race cars. "Now get inside and continue practicing!"
Lance frowned. "Mommy, I don't want to practice...it's not fun anymore!"

Lance shook his head, dispelling the memory from his thoughts. No, it hadn't been fun since he was a child. Since his talent was first discovered and he had been forced to practice continuously. But now...oh how he wished to have his violin sing to him.

"Eh?" Lance seemed to be too deep in thought that he didn't notice nor felt Miyuki tapped his back. She was quite surprised as he suddenly shook his head. So he was really thinking about something. Maybe she should just leave him alone. Bothering him won't do any good...... But Miyuki was worried after all. Anyway, she just wanted to apologize and she would take her leave immediately after that. "Hey, Lance," She tapped Lance's back several times with a little added strength as compared to the first one. "Are you okay? Is there anything wrong?" Her head was tilted to the side as she waited for a response from him. He has earphones on but she hoped he was able to hear her.

[[ Sorry, it was quite short. I can't think of anything! orz I'll make it up to my next post! :3 ]]

((not to worry! Just happy you are on!))

Lance felt the tapping on his back and took his earbuds out. He had the music turned up, but paused it as he turned to look at Miyuki. "Hey. Everything okay?" He asked, taking another large bite of salmon and rice.

Glancing at the clock on his phone, he realized that they had a limited time left for lunch. He wondered why Miyuki was coming to talk to him, and silently wondered what he had done this time.

"Ah.." Miyuki had a one step backwards as Lance turned and finally noticed her. "Uh, no.. It... It looked like you were thinking of something a while ago so I just......" Now that he finally turned up to her, words couldn't flow properly from Miyuki's mouth. She felt nervous all of a sudden for some reasons. "A-anyway..." She had an unusual pause as she looked to the side, avoiding eye contact. "It's... just..." God, when did it become so hard to apologize?! Anyway, she was already taking too much of his time so she should just hurry or he might end up thinking that she's annoying.

She swallowed before hesitantly looked back at Lance. "About this morning... I'm sorry, I suddenly threw my bag at you. I-I know it was very rude but, you see, I have this very bad temper that even I myself find really troublesome..." She slightly bowed her head, once again casting her eyes away from the guy and rubbed the back of her neck with her right hand. "And... About the thing in the classroom when you returned to me my bag..." Miyuki softly groaned and returned her line of sight to him. "I seem to cause nothing but trouble so I would like to apologize for that. And you just transferred here too... I would understand if you don't want anything to do with me. Don't worry, I won't bother you anymore so..... I'm sorry." She bowed deeply for a few seconds before rising up her head again with a wry smile. "Well, that's all... I'll be taking my leave now. Sorry to take too much of your time.." Slowly, she started walking away. She was still lost in thought and even forgot her real intention of going that way, to buy herself a drink from the vending machine.

[[ Yeah~ Sorry, I was out the whole day! >w< ]]

He smiled, listening to her ramble on. The more Lance thought of it, the more he thought it was cute. He watched as she bowed deeply, remembering it was some sort of apologetic custom in Japan and shook his head. With a smile he reached out, grabbing her arm as she tried to walk away. "Stop, stop...don't walk away without letting me respond to this."

Lance chuckled, pulling her closer. "I was just surprised by you throwing your bag at me this morning is all."

Miyuki felt her hear skip a beat as her arm was suddenly grabbed causing her to let out a soft gasp and immediately turned only to see Lance preventing her from getting away. Oh, how she wanted to quickly disappear in front of him because of all the embarrassing things she just had said. She tried to move away her face from him as he was pulling her closer. Just surprised, he said... Does that mean he's not angry at her? "R-really? Even if I caused you so much trouble? I... I even made unnecessary attentions be directed to you.."

Chuckling and smiling, Miyuki coulnd't help thinking that he was amused by something. Too close, was the other thing that was in her mind. Being able to have a good look on his face, she finally knew why girls are fawning over him. Indeed, he has good looks and even though she wanted to look away from the guy, something seemed to be keeping her eyes glued to his. "This is bad..."

Lance let go of her arm, folding his hands in his lap. "Don't worry bout it!" He chuckled, putting away what was left of his lunch. Standing, he tucked his earbuds in his pocket. "Just relax. I don't bite..." He walked back to the classroom, sitting down in his seat and relaxing. He was exhausted. He wondered for a moment if there was a place after school where he could fix the string on his violin. It would also help him avoid his mother's evening phone call.

Miyuki felt her breathing rhythm went back to normal as Lance let go of her arm. He seemed to didn't mind everything that happened today and she was very relieved to know that. She couldn't stop the smile that's wanting to form on her lips that time though her head was slightly bowed down to hide it as she was just following closely behind him. The class resumed and unlike the first period, Miyuki was able to concentrate in class this time and was attentively listening to the discussion. For some, it felt like several hours had passed but for Miyuki, time went by fast before finally dismissing the class for the day.

As soon as the teacher left the room, Miyuki started fixing her things and as she opened her bag, she saw her mobile phone's light blinking and vibrating - it was a call. Wondering who was calling, she took it out and she immediately saw the word, 'Home'. It was a call from her parents' place. Seeing this, she immediately rushed outside leaving her fully-opened bag and quickly looked for a place where there were no people around. She reached the stairs going to the second floor and at that time, no one was there so she finally answered the call.

"Hello?" Just as she thought, it was her father and he was shouting at the other line. Miyuki sighed and shook her head, unwillingly listening to her father's rants. "I know.... Yeah, I read your letter. You could've just called. You don't need to make your men come here...... Yeah..... I will, okay? I will visit tomorrow...... No, you don't have to..... I'm fine by my own, you don't have to send someone...... I'm doing this for a year already! I know my way....." Miyuki's voice was slowly raising as if she was getting infected by the temper of the man at the other line. "I said I'm fine! What if someone saw me with those suspicious-looking men?!...... I said I can do it on my own!...... Dad, you don't understand!" The persistence of the old man seemed to make her finally snap. "I don't want to be called a Yakuza daughter ever again!! I don't want people to avoid me because of that!!!" She said, almost shouting to the person on the other line. Again, her temper took over her way of thinking and said unnecessary things. The silence on the other line was deafening causing the young lady to feel bad. "No, dad, I'm sorry. It's just--.. Hello? Hello, dad?!" The other person suddenly hang up without saying anything. Removing the phone away from her ears, she groaned in frustration as she threw her head backwards. She made her father feel bad, that's one thing for sure. "What in the world have I done.......?"

Lance was curious as to why Miyuki left so rushed but shrugged and picked up his backpack. He searched until he found an empty classroom. Taking out his violin he changed the string. He stared at it, memories flooding his mind and emotions filling him. He delicately fingered the neck, taking the bow in hand. Then, setting the violin under his chin, he began playing.

It was a sorrowful tune. It was as if his whole being was being poured into making the strings sing with a longing noise. All his dreams, cares, and worries were poured into the song, igniting a response from him he had not had in a long time. Tears streaked down his face as he stood with his violin singing.

"Anyway, I should definitely go home tomorrow." Miyuki muttered to herself as she put her mobile phone on her skirt's pocket and strode back to the classroom. Her father may look all tough but he's really sensitive when it comes to his family and she knew quite well that he was just worried about her living away from them. Despite know that, she still talked that way to him. If only she wasn't being a total blockhead... She had a deep, dismayed sigh and brushed her raven black long hair with her fingers. Today seems to be her unlucky day.

While she was on her way back to their classroom, she heard some kind of a melody nearby. Miyuki isn't really a instrumental music enthusiast but something about that melody captured her and yet again, curiosity aroused to the mind of the girl. She turned to her heel and began following where the sound was coming from. Not too long, she found herself in front of a classroom and just standing in front of the door, she could hear the melody clearly. Who could be making this kind of melancholic sound? Miyuki didn't wait any longer to satisfy her own curiosity and quietly opened the door to not disturb whoever it was. Upon opening, her eyes widened at the presence of the only person inside the room. "Lance....?"

Lance jumped, turning around and hiding his violin behind his back. "Miyuki? I was pretty sure everyone else left..." He muttered. He quickly shoved his violin and bow back into their case. Clicking the case shut, he shoved it in his bag before looking at her. His eyes held sorrow and fear as he looked at her, hoping she wouldn't say anything.

How could he have been so stupid? He had come to Japan to avoid all of this and make a new start. He was already on the soccer team and had been making a new identity. Then, he had to be stupid and play his violin in the school...curses! Why couldn't he have waited to check on it until he got home? He could easily have changed the string there...

The perplexed Miyuki watched Lance as he desperately hid the instrument which he used to produce that wonderful yet sad sound that completely caught her attention. She clearly saw, though, that it was a violin. Either way, she entered the classroom despite of the awkward atmosphere that seemed to built up. "Uhh, well, I had to take an important phone call so I stayed for a bit..." She directed her line of sight towards the bag where he hid the musical instrument for a moment before turning back to the guy. Examining his face, it was definite that he didn't want her to see him playing the violin.

"Uhm... Sorry... I think I saw something I shouldn't have..." Miyuki was unsure what to say or if she should really say anything at all. "I... I didn't know you play the violin.. It was really beautiful... The melody, I mean..." Those words were followed by dry, awkward laugh. She knew quite well that it wasn't such a good remark to say with the current air surrounding the empty room but she couldn't go against her sparked curiosity. She might not even know the saying that curiosity killed the cat.

Lance groaned, putting a hand to his face and rubbing it furiously. "No one was supposed to know I played!! Then they would recognize me and I could never escape my family and 'destiny' that they were the ones to decide for me!" He looked away from her, his fist slamming down on one of the desks.

Lance looked back to her. "Have you ever had something you wanted to run from so badly that your whole body seems to scream? I ran from America and the people there. I couldn't even go to school anymore without people fawning over me or trying to get my autograph!" He paced the room for a few minutes, hands going to his head in absolute anguish. "I even died my hair!" He growled.

Turning to her, Lance walked over, setting his hands on her shoulders and looking into her eyes. "Please, please don't say anything....let me live a normal teenage life away from the crazy publicity...away from expectations..." He shook his head. "The bands, the producers, the agencies....I don't want them to find me."

Miyuki was stunned as Lance became suddenly furious. See? She should have not said anything. "I.. I'm sor--" Her shoulders flinched as he threw a fist on a desk. Calm down, she wanted to say that to him but it felt like saying that would be useless too. He was in a total loss, and hearing everything he was saying, every frustration he was letting out at that moment, she had concluded one thing - they are the same. Wanting to run away from something, wanting to change how people knew her, she was also feeling that way and she totally understood how Lance was feeling as of the moment. She was also at the verge of losing it when she saw Lance while she was talking with her father's men. She was quite perplexed as the guy approached her and put hands on her shoulders.

"The bands, the producers, the agencies....I don't want them to find me."

He was just worried, she knew it and she can somehow relate to it. Smiling, she lightly tapped Lance's both cheeks and held his face steady. "Calm down, Lance. I won't say anything to anyone. You have my word." Her bright brown eyes were directly gazing to Lance's showing how serious and sincere she was. "Besides, I don't really know you as a musician so I only know the you who I met here. No need to worry." Miyuki finally broke the gaze and let go of his cheeks before breaking into a soft laugh.

Lance was shocked as she put her hands to his cheeks and his shockingly green eyes widened. He listened carefully and nodded with relief. "Thank you." He hugged her before letting her go and walking over to grab his bag. "Oh, gosh...I'd die if everyone knew about me." He slung his backpack over his shoulder.

He paused. "Someone...well, perhaps you understand me more than I thought..."

Miyuki's eyes widened, surprised that Lance suddenly hugged her. Though it was just short, her body seemed to froze even after he let go of her. "Uhh.. Yeah..." Was the only words that came out from her. It was the first time that a person of an opposite gender hugged her. well of course, aside from her family relatives. She could have punched him instinctively but it seems that luck was on her side that her brain shut down for a moment. After a few seconds being in daze, she frantically shook her head to gather back her composure.

"A-anyway, you don't have to worry. I'm not really the one to talk about others' secrets." Miyuki let out a dry, nervous laugh as she tried to calm herself down. "Le-let's go back before anyone finds us and think about weird things again." Continuing with her awkward laugh, she turned to her heel and headed towards the room's door. She still had to go back to their classroom for her bag, she almost forgot about that.

Lance shrugged. "I'm actually going to head home..." He frowned, going back to his house would be lonely and quiet. He wondered for a moment if it wasn't better that way so he could complete his homework.

He reached the door before she did, holding it open for her. "I guess that means I'll see you tomorrow."

Miyuki went out of the room as Lance held the door open for her. "Yeah... See yo-- Ah." She suddenly remembered something causing for her to abruptly stopped talking. "I almost forgot, I have to visit our house tomorrow so I won't be around.." Now that she remembered it, she was still undecided what should she bring for her parents as a gift.... And also she has to think of something to make it up to her father. Since her family likes sweets, she wondered if cold desserts would do. Or maybe cakes...

Cakes.

Just a few moments ago, she saw the frown that formed on Lance's mouth. It might be because she had found out his secret or because of something else but she wanted him to at least cheer up and ease a bit of his worries. "Hey, do you like sweets? There's a cafe near here that I really wanted to try. Do you want to come with me?" She asked with a really bright smile. Just a while ago, she was all shy and worried about how other people might think but none of those seemed to matter at her at that very moment...... Or was it because she was just really the type who can easily change one's own mood?

Lance looked at her in shock of the invite. "Sure, sounds good actually...I haven't had much time for exploring since I got here." He smiled sadly. He silently wondered why she was inviting him. At least he had made a friend. One that wasn't fawning over him all the time.

That had been the hard thing with his life at home....there never was a peace for him. It was always go and do, sign and write, play and perform. The very few friends Lance actually had were ones that were only his friends for his fame. He was a talented performer, knowing guitar, violin, piano, and how to sing. This had made him desirable by just about everyone and every agency. Real friendships....he hadn't had one since preschool.

Lance looked away from Miyuki, realizing he was staring. "Lead on..." He said, clearing his throat.

Status
Not open for further replies.