Clock-Work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Avery was just finishing up his lunch when a shot rang out from the middle of the town. He frowned when he realized it's came from the bell tower and stood up. He waited a few seconds in case there were more shots but he didn't hear anything. He made his way outside greeted by everyone rushing around, probably livelier than Avery had seen in weeks. It seemed that everyone was gathering at the gate entrance to look at what happened.

Avery pushed his way through and saw a German soldier laying on the ground holding his arm. The soldier was, what Avery presumed, swearing at his injury. Avery's commanding officers yelled at him to detain the enemy. Avery approached the soldier slowly before hoisting him up and practically dragging him towards the infirmary. Avery thought that the German just wandered too close while lost, but now the camp was on high alert, which meant he was going to be under scrutiny whenever it was his shift in the bell tower. It was going to be an interesting week.

As she listened to Bode explain who they had come for and why she sighed at the burger at her plate, which she had been enjoying very much. In Amese she muttered to herself, "Just what we need. A trigger-happy man from a time of war, assuming he's not delusional like everyone else here."

In cleared English she added, "I will go, but not without my Roll Rider. It may be out of place (if there is indeed another time waiting out there) but the speed will make me feel comfortable."

She went to her own closet of period wardrobes and eyed them all as though they might come to life on their hangings. "It is hard to believe how long it took for Etheral to be invented," she said, holding up a WWI era dress. She silently fumed at thought of being made to wear something so cumbersome. Wrong war, but this was all the 2nd Millenium. She didn't know the difference, and with dresses there wasn't much of one. "They feel so heavy."

She stormed out of her room and went to find Bode, finding only a locked door. She rapped on it sharply. "Bode," she yelled in Amese. "There's nothing but dresses in there. How am I supposed to move about covered in pleated skirts? You must have a spare change of pants."

Last edited:
Xanthia decided to stand. She went to the main room, sitting in the corner. She looked up, just staring blankly at the ceiling it seemed. Really, she was lost in thought.

Year: Irrelevant, Location: A Bubble Outside Time
I sighed as I heard Mondanda's voice echo through the locked door at me. Hitting the button for the com system I answered her, "Did you tell the closet what you wanted?" Perhaps it was a simplistic approach for someone who was so used to an age of heightened technology, but it had always worked well for me. "Close the door, put your hand on the latch, and tell it you want a World War Two era women's pantsuit from one of the allied nations. Preferably in a style created during or prior to the year 1941. It should then give you a number of choices to choose from. I'm sure you can find something you like."

Some few minutes later I waited for her at the Gateway dressed in a classic men's suit that looked as though it had seen better days. My cane was in one hand and the Gateway was oped to reveal the landscape of an English countryside beyond the cops of trees that currently his the S.T.A.N. from view. Just beyond that was the camp where Avery currently was stationed.

Last edited:
Xanthia looked at Bode as he stood there. "Be careful." she said out of habit, tilting her head slightly. She held her phone in hand, though it was turned off.

Tell the closet what you want. Of course. Wasn't it just so obvious? Some people Mondanda knew did have closets like that, but there was naturally a finite number of wardrobes available, and the revolving closet was considered an impractical and unnecessary luxury in her time. Still, she went back, closed the closet door, and said to the door, "I want World War II clothes. Namely pants. I want pants."

She opened the door again and found not just women's pantsuits of the era, but ones of further back and further forward eras, too, and men's trousers as well. She reasoned that she probably shouldn't have specified her desire for pants so much. In the end, she eventually found a set of trousers that struck her as very steampunk (again she wasn't quite familiar with the time period she was entering) and put them on. As out of place as it may appear, she kept her Etheral jacket on over a more accurate blouse.

When Mondanda went back to the door and saw Bode standing there she was agast at what was waiting for her beyond the doorway. Waiting outside was a countryside that had not been there when she went into the office building in Nomad Sity. The trees - they looked like the trees shown in History of Biology texts and were very familiar, but not quite the same as the trees she knew. In the far distance were primitive dark green tents, an obvious encampment of some kind.

"It's...real," she said in Amese. "We're really...It's the past. This is impossible."

Year: 1941, Location: A small French Village
I had to raise and eyebrow at Mondonda's appearance. She looked ridiculous, but I wisely refrained from telling her so. After a few moments' thought I supposed it was close enough, and if anybody questioned us on her absurd collection of garments, well it was a time of war. It would be easy enough to claim the clothing had been picked up at various times along our travels. Technically true, just not as these soldiers would understand it.

"If this is impossible," I answered Mondonda's outburst, "then what are you seeing?" I carefully stepped outside and made my way forward through the coupes of trees, feeling the ground with my cane, and not bothering to look back to see if the girl was following.

My plan was to convince the soldiers that I was a journalist and Mondonda was my assistant, that we had lost our transportation some miles back, and if possible that I wanted to interview some of the soldiers in the area for a story I was writing. Journalist really was the only way to go in this situation. I was far too old to play a soldier, even a general, and Mondonda, well her weirdness just wouldn't be explained any other way.

Mondanda followed behind him, walking with a completely lost feeling about her. Indeed she was lost. Lost in time! It was real. The insane, impossible claims she'd been hearing in that place were true. She still couldn't quite believe it. She half-expected it to be some kind of sensory illusion, but those often had blind spots that gave it away, areas that didn't quite make sense. But not here. This was all real reality, and past reality at that.

As she walked after Bode two things occured to her. First, that she probably was conspicuously dressed, given the nature of Bode's clothes. And second, that if time travel was real, then the possibly of Henry stumbling upon it was real, too, and he really hadn't belonged in her world. This had the effect of curbing some of her years of resentment towards him, but she still didn't let it all abate. He wasn't that easy to forgive.

"So where is Henry, or whoever we are getting to help us find him?" she asked Bode from behind him.

[bg=black]Year: 1941, Location: A small French Village
"He is no doubt going about his ordinary every day life," I answered as we walked through the trees and towards the small village where the soldiers had set up. "Now before we get there I must recommend you allow me to do the majority of the speaking until we are able to find and communicate with Mr. Avery Malster." No sooner had I spoken then I spied two guards ahead probably patrolling the perimeter of their area.
"Excuse me sir! Sir!" I called out hoping he'd ask questions first and not shoot at all. "Can you - can you help us? I'm afraid my companion and I, we lost our transportation a while back, and we've been walking for some time. I'm a journalist you see and I've got to check in with my editor!"
[/bg]

The soldiers raised their rifles to the strangers, they couldn't afford to let just anyone through even though they were about one hundred meters from the fence. The female looked odd which raised a question in both of their minds. "I'll need to see the credentials for both of you before you're allowed to pass" one of the soldiers ordered before approaching them with his rifle barrel down. "Camp is on high alert, I'll need to see British Papers to allow you to pass" he explained while watching his surroundings carefully.

Avery pushed the German soldier into the infirmary where the medics immediately sprang into action. The enemy was taken from his hands and pushed on to a cot where they worked to take out the bullet. Avery stood a few feet back with his hands on his rifle, ready to act if anything happened. Once the wound was tended to he and one of the medics locked him to a bed in the corner. Avery wasn't quite sure if he could leave so he stayed nearby watching the medics go on with their duties.

"Yes, yes of course," I answered hurriedly, "they're just in my jacket pocket . . . no wait other pocket." After making a show of fishing around for the credentials I pulled appropriate paperwork for both Mondanda and myself from my worn suit coat and handed them to the guard. One of the perks of being a time traveler, I guess. The creation of legal documents for previous centuries had become child's play. closer to my own time frame there might have been problems but now . . . well my biggest worry was that Mondanda would mind that I had "borrowed" a picture from her ID records and altered it for this time frame, and say something where the soldiers could hear her thus blowing our cover.

"If everything is in order I would greatly appreciate the use of a phone, or maybe someone to drive us to where we should be, and if possible maybe I could conduct a few interviews while we wait for the logistics to get hammered out? I do have a story to write after all." I smiled, "What about you, son? where are you from? I'm sure your family would love to see a quote from you in the next issue . . . provided I make my deadline."
[/bg]

Mondanda couldn't help looking at the IDs he produced funny. Not only were they primitive (they didn't even have a genome map in the bottom corners), but one had her face perfectly framed in it. It looked like a genuine ancient document. She decided wisely to stay silent while he passed the identifications around, and demand to know how the hell he'd gotten that after they were through. Until then there was nothing she could do but avoid drawing too much attention. It wasn't all too easy, given her slightly off-period outfit and the etheral jacket she'd insisted on wearing with her. No doubt someone would ask what the "Z" stood for eventually.

The soldier rolled his eyes while he waited for the old man to procure his papers. Once the old man held out documents the young soldier took them out of his hands. Nothing seemed out of place except the girl, who seemed like she didn't realize that the old man had her ID. The soldier tapped his foot thinking for a moment while staring at the papers. He sighed and gave them back to the old man "You can go, and I don't make a promise of either of those things, we're at war old man, we don't have the time or the resources to give rides or hand out air time." he grabbed his rifle and pointed it down "As for the interviews, I'm alright, don't have any family alive that I know of"

The soldier pointed with his rifle "There's a barricade just a hundred and fifty meters along this road, don't make any trouble." he warned before turning to continue down his patrol route.

"I understand. Thank you for the directions." I muttered putting the papers back in my pocket and leading the way to the mentioned barricade. Once there I pulled the papers out and handed them to the waiting guard, once again explaining our situation, and asking who we should talk to about a car, a phone, or interviews. [/bg]

The guard gave the two of them a short reply saying someone in the mess hall or in the medical clinic might give them a ride but there was no guarantee.

I led the way deeper through the base following the guardsman's directions, leaning on my cane, and trying not to look anymore out of place than we already did. Modonda's jacket was getting odd looks and I regretted not making her leave it behind, but maybe in the grand scheme of things it might actually help. We still had someone to convince of joining us on this mad chase through time. I only hoped it would be easier than convincing Mondonda was. But then these people were in the middle of a world war, so easy was unlikely.

After a few minutes of walking I could see the building that had been described as a medical clinic just ahead.
[/bg]

Year: 2553, Location: London, Sentinel Clockworks (Sentinels of Time local HQ)

Henry was a fool after all, Ryan had sent the last two years teaching Henry about the time stream, how linchpin events were often disrupted by bad actors trying to manipulate time for their own ends. Ryan had spent a decade as a temporal investigator chased and caught a few dozen criminals who had gotten their hands on protected time travail tech out of the 30k's all trying to change the world in some form. Henry was the first man Ryan had thought might not be like the rest. He was wrong. All this talk of "changing the world" and not a seconds consideration for the consequences. The Henry's time machine was missing form the vault. he had suck in the previous night and spirited away knocking a few guard unconscious in the process. Ryan was sure he was planning something big, something that would be catastrophic for the time stream and it was Ryan's job both as a Temporal investigator and as Henry's supervising agent to ensure he didn't.

Ryan swept through the corridors of the Clockworks with purpose, gray trench-coat flapping in his wake. His destination, a high security chrono-vault in the bowls of the Clockworks. chrono-vaults were a interesting security measure but a necessary one. When most of the people who would steal their contents could travel in time and space a simple locked box wasn't good enough. Instead of a locked door chrono-vaults used out of sync localized time fields to perpetually keep the contents a few seconds in the future. There was one vault in the 2500's version of the Clockworks, brought back special from the 30k's to keep the only 2 objects in the period of temporal significance safe. the first was of course Henry's own incarnation of the time machine, the second was Ryan's.

The advantage of being a time agent from the 30k's stationed throughout the past was that you were issued your own time travel devise. They worked nothing like the big time ships that were used to transfer agents around. you couldn't just pick a destination and go. The personal devices issued to agents were a a more linear tool. They attached to the time line of something specific and then transferred the user along the path that something took through time. The something could be a person, that was easiest, or an object of significance but that was a bit tricky. What exactly constituted an object of significance wasn't really known. A good rule of thumb was that if it eventually ended up in a museum or traded through an auction house it would work, but somethings the machine recognized perfectly ordinary objects like a hair brush or teddy bear as having a string enough signature to attach to.
Reaching the vault Ryan gave the command to open and sync the vault. The guard standing by complied with a salute. These were fresh guards, the ones who had been on duty last night were recovering in the medical ward. The vault door wasn't exactly impressive as it slid back into the wall to reveal the room beyond. Bu then the appeal of a chrono-vault wasn't in the door that was never locked. it was in the temporal ensigns that moved the content in and out of sync with the rest of the time stream. The tell tail humming the engines warming up was fallows shortly by the sudden appearance of rows of shelves and boxes in the previously empty room. Ryan marched in and headed for the back. There on a small pedestal sat a grapefruit sized ball of brass clockwork strait out of a fantasy game, and the empty space to it's right was where Henry's time machine should of been.

Ryan picked up the orb of ornate metal styled like some sort of dwarven master piece strait out of the pictures - engineers in the 30k's could get a bit esoteric with their designs - and taped his right index finger against the gold frame of his glasses to activate the inbuilt display. The scrolling text told him the temporal engine was warming up and a soft werring sound form the orb confirmed it. Every time he activated this thing adventure and chaos followed in the case or mission involved. This time though he time traveled to chase Henry, a man who Ryan counted among his good friend. With a few simple command Ryan instructed the orb to lock on to Henry's time line and chase it forward, Henry's recent presence in the room being enough to track. With a soft sigh Ryan placed both hand on the Orb and prepared for the temporal shift.

Flashing red text form the engine diagnostics was the only warning Ryan had before the light enveloped him.

Year: 1941, Location: A small French Village, Barracks Tent

A small flash of light and loud whip like crack split the air of the army camp. A barracks tent just across form the medical building spewed a light gray smoke out the flaps. Ryan Dunderhill stumbled out of the tent, head to the ground, waving the smoke away form his face; time orb help at his side in the left had.

"Blasted!..." Ryan, ignoring his
surrounding, examined the Orb for what had gone wrong, diagnostics scrolling across the right lens of his glasses. "Of course he bloody reversed the dam matrix! Oh! and overloaded the field crystals too! Bloody hell, where did he ever learn... Where the hell did I end up!?" Ryan dropped the orb back to his side and examined the area. The readout on his glasses told in he was somewhere in France in the year 1941, and his eyes told him he was standing in the middle of a war camp, Two women - one in a very odd jacket - and an old man stood just in front of him. Ryan froze, not in fear of being discovered but because they all has temporal signatures that didn't match the current time period. His glasses had flagged them immediately.,

Talking a half step forward Ryan spoke softly partially to himself but loud enough to carry a few feet "your not supposed to be here..." a quick glance to his side and the time orb reminded Ryan of the situation he was in, Quickly stuffing the orb into an inner pocked of the trench-coat Ryan turned full circle to get a good look at the camp.

"For that matter, neither am I."

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: - Falcon -

There was a sudden commotion from one of the barracks tents that had been set up to accommodate the surplus soldiers the buildings in the base couldn't hold. The tent in questions was directly across from the medical building we had been aiming for. As smoke rolled out of the now open flap, carrying a man with it, I could see medical personal and the soldiers who were present running for the place and trying to figure out what had happened.

The man who came with the smoke looked around shoving something into his pockets.
I smiled as I leaned on my cane.
"And so it begins," I smiled.
[/bg]

Mondanda had followed along behind Bode with a heady mixture of suspicion, curiosity, and avid interest. There was also a wrinkling in her nose that came along with her disgust at where she was, in the middle of one of humanity's greatest wars. Fought by men of course, and started by them too. She found herself searching around for Henry, but of course not seeing him anywhere as she moved about the camp. It was calmer here than out on the battlefield, but it was still chaos, albeit a less violent, more organized chaos.

A sudden smoke and commotion made Mondanda automatically crouch down for cover. After a few minutes it appeared they weren't being blown up and she shook off the hand of the soldier who had tried to help her back to her feet. She looked over in the direction Bode was looking; looking and smiling over his cane. At his annoucement that they shouldn't be there she wanted to point out just how obvious his comment was, but decided that might not be best where they were.

Instead she leaned toward Bode and asked quietly, "Who is that? Does he know we are not from here?"

"That," I answered Mondanda, "Is a face I have not seen in a very long time. Though he does not yet know me. And yes, I would say he knows very well that we do not belong to this time."

It was at that point that the smoke that was still floating around from this new man's entrance began to affect me. I was too old, and I had inhaled too much of it. The two together were not a good combination. Coughing violently, one arm over my mouth, and leaning heavily on my cane I was quickly drawing attention to myself, and out of concern one of the soldiers who had run to see the commotion began herding me towards the medical building, along with Mondanda and this new young man who they assumed was a member of our little group.

They took me inside and one of the medics sat me in a chair and handed me a glass of water which a drank gratefully.
"You are looking for Henry Marsdale." I stated when I could speak again, addressing the stranger who had popped into the middle of the military base. I didn't bother to lower my voice. It didn't matter what I said as long as I kept my conversation era appropriate. Beside, I was hoping the person we had come looking for might overhear. "As are we. Perhaps we can lend each other a hand?"
[/bg]

Status
Not open for further replies.