Clock-Work

Status
Not open for further replies.
The S.T.A.N. Gateway, steelblue
S.T.A.N. Space Time Activity Navigator

What is S.T.A.N.
S.T.A.N. is not a ship, but a gateway from the earth at any given point in time to the Servant of Time's "bubble", which exists outside of time entirely. It is not large on the inside, it simply leads somewhere else.

STAN.png

What S.T.A.N. Does
The S.T.A.N. gateway can travel back and forth between any point in time, however it must travel in space separately. It can travel in time, or it can travel in space, but not both at once.

Because the earth moves, STAN uses a set of sensors and computers to approximate the exact date and time it needs to move the gate to in order to maintain its position on the earth or to arrive at a particular destination. Only after these calculations have been made can it make the jump. De-materializing on one end and re-materializing on the other.

On some occasions it may be necessary for the S.T.A.N. gateway to be moved either before or after a jump has occurred in order for those waiting on the other side to arrive at their desired destination. For example if jumping from point A in time 1 to point A in time 2 would land the gate in space, the gate may jump instead to point B in time 2 and then move to point A.

S.T.A.N. is designed to survive in space so should a miscalculation occur the only trouble is how (or when) to return it to earth. This takes a lot on energy to moving it in space in not preferred.

S.T.A.N. Blending In
S.T.A.N. is equipped with "shifting" technology allowing it to take a form commonly accepted by the locals in order to blend in. For example an out house, roman statue, or grain silo. When needed this includes allowing the gate to shift in to transportation of some sort (i.e. A motor vehicle or aircraft) and be moved to a better location.

S.T.A.N. cannot carry people so if it is necessary for them to move about once at their destination, they must either return to the Servant's bubble and wait for the gate to be moved to the new location, or find other means of transport.

Last edited:
I guess where STAN takes us is dependant on what the bad guy's actually trying to do. I feel like I'm not clear on that, or how.

I'm saving the villain's motives to be revealed in game. All you need to know right now is that he's trying to mess up the world.

What I want to know is when/where you want to go. When do you think would be fun? What setting do you imagine your character having to get through?
I'm going to create little mini arcs with each of the places/times you request. Five of us equals five time jumps and five places/times for our characters to navigate through.

The Pacific Desert, from the Chinese-American War (WWIII) of 2287. Basically take the Pacific Ocean, build a bunch of walls around it, and then drain it. Mondanda would blame it on the male leaders. What do you think? Too out there?

As much fun as I think the drained ocean idea is, I feel it's too much for this RP. Maybe a different RP :)

However, I think you may have something with WWIII and tensions between China and the former USA. Especially since by 2287 the US would have been split into the GNS (Great Northern State) and the SAR (Southern American Republic) as mentioned in Hillary's bio. Sort of a three way hostility sort of thing.

If you still want to work out a WWIII we can discus it in PM and surprise everybody in game.
Or if there's something else you want to try let me know.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I'm not sure how much my character would know about what is essentially ancient history to her. She's from 20,000 years in the future, the equivalent of a modern day person looking back at Sumeria twice over. Mondanda would have very limited context. Maybe the year 10,000? Around the time the Zed Chromat mutation occurred? She may be interested in seeing her forebears.

That works :)

I'm glad. The only other things I could think of involved civil rights and Ghandi.

Sorry for the delay everyone here's the deal:
Ryex's schedule is more hectic then we originally anticipated. Not to worry though, we have come up with an alternate plan!
I am going to get this RP started without him and he is going to post his character bio and jump in when his schedule allows.

so . . .

Role Call, everyone please post if you are still playing!

Now I'm off to write the IC and in the meantime I am going to give you all our Villain's character sheet.
Please note that the bio has information pertaining to each of your characters.

Name: Henry Marsdale

Title: The Villain

Nationality: The United States of America

Job: None, Former Soldier, Former Reporter, Former Student of Time.

Time Period originally from:2016, has jumped around since.

Skills Set: A mathematical and scientific genius he understands theories and formulas far beyond his original time. He is also a competent engineer capable of building what he needs to in order to test his ideas.

Height / Weight: 5' 10", 150 lbs

Appearance: Average height with tanned skin, he has shaggy, dark brown hair and brown eyes. He is somewhat lean and sports a well trimmed beard

Henry tries to blend into the fashion of whatever time he is in, but favors earth toned colors like browns, tans, and greens.

Other Distinguishing Features: tends to wear several watches on his left arm.

Weaknesses: Leans a bit to the emotional side and can also be a bit nostalgic. what he does he does because he believes he is right, and he doesn't always pay attention to the facts of a situation.

Personality:
When it comes to dealing with the consequences of his actions he quite simply doesn't care. Though genial as a youth, he has grown into a rude and aggressive sort of individual with a rather large ego. He has a tendency to believe he is always right, and is more then willing to debate anyone who says otherwise.
That being said Henry can be quite charming when he wants to be winning people over to his side before they even realize there were other options. He's quick witted and can often talk his way out of any situation.

Biography: Note: this Biography has been broken up into sections of the information relevant specifically to each character.

Born in 2000 to a pair of loving parents Henry grew up in the same town as Xanthia. The two went to high school together and were good friends. Henry had a bit of an obsession with the works of H.G. Wells and often talked about what if some of those inventions were real. He was gifted in both math and science and his father, who was an aerospace engineer, encouraged him to continue to learn and refine his talents in pursuit of his goals.

When he was 16 Henry successfully recreated H.G.'s Time Machine and attempted to test it out without telling anyone what he was going to do. However his calculations were off slightly and he ended up "crashing" in Great Britain in 1934. Henry was forced to create a persona and live out what he thought would be the rest of his life in the past.

[MENTION=2387]SilverJae[/MENTION] – for Xanthia this RP starts in 2016 two weeks after Henry's disappearance

With his knowledge of the "future" Henry was easily able to find a job and home in 1930s Britain. By the time 1941 came around Henry had fallen in love and proposed to a girl named Anne, but the war started up and the wedding was postponed when he enlisted.

At age 23 Henry was in the same company as Avery and the two had a bit of a casual rivalry going. Mid year Henry received a letter from Anne's father informing him of her death and he began slowly sinking into depression. Avery was encouraged to continue the rivalry by their commanding officer who hoped that by maintaining a sense of normalcy Henry might be better able to snap out of his depression. After a while Henry requested a transfer. Avery never saw Henry again, at least not in that time-frame.

[MENTION=5470]towerofpimps[/MENTION] – for Avery this RP starts 1941 three days after Henry's transfer

With the war ended Henry had to acknowledge that he had survived the fighting, but with Anne dead he had very little to look forward too. A stray conversation with a drunk at a local pub inspired him to attempt to return to his own time. By 1946 Henry had managed to locate, return to, and rebuild the remains of his time machine. But as he worked he struck upon a new idea. Instead of returning home he had hopes of going back and saving Anne. He returned to the past several times in hopes of rescuing her, but no matter what he did events always played out the same way.

Deciding he was missing something, some key bit of information; Henry concluded he needed someone to teach him about time travel. There were quite simply things he just couldn't figure out on his own. Henry calculated an approximate future date where he believed he could find out what he needs and launched himself into the future to the year 25052.

Now 29 years old and in a time far beyond his own Henry decided his best chance of blending in was to pretend to be a journalist. He even managed to get a job with one of the Journals. That way he could say, "pretend you have to explain this to someone from the year 2016," without appearing to be out of place. His lack of knowledge on future matters lead to the mistaken exposure of the Zed status of one of his neighbors, Mondanda. The two had been on somewhat friendly, if distant, terms giving him ample time to observe her behavior. For example, the way she grew uncomfortable when the Zed chromate gene was mentioned. Not like some one who didn't like the zeds, but as if she had something to hide. He theorized on, "what if?" to his editor, not realizing the danger of even making such a statement and less then a month later Mondanda's secret was uncovered.

But even as Henry was learning to blend in he was also seeking information on time travel. Perhaps it was because he knew what to look for, but almost as soon as he arrived in the year 25052 rumors began reaching his ears about a secret organization that protected time. Upon closer investigation he inadvertently made content with an agent of that organization who realized exactly how much Henry actually knew about time travel and as a form of recruitment, intentionally let something slip about a mission in 2551. Henry had no idea who he was really talking too at the time. The intention was that if Henry was half as intelligent as the agent believed him to be he would return within a matter of days with the puzzle solved. What the agent forgot to factor in was the possibility that Henry would have his own time machine. Instead of returning to the agent (who Henry didn't know was an agent) Henry climbed back in his time machine and set course for 2551 when he believed he could find the answers he so desperately sought.

[MENTION=3204]Quiet One[/MENTION] - For Mondanda this RP starts six months after she was exposed as a Zed and Henry "moved" away.

When Henry Arrived in 2551 he believed he was only investigating something that had just happened in hopes of meeting an agent of the organization. However he stumbled right into the middle of the events they were trying to control. A man by the name of Ryan Dunderhill realized the danger and in a split second decision recruited Henry as a means of damage control. Henry now had what he wanted, an instructor.

Henry learned everything he could from Ryan and by 2553 at 31 years of age he felt he was able to go out on missions of his own. However there was a problem. Having had two years to watch Henry, Ryan felt he wasn't to be trusted on his own. Henry had on more than one occasion expressed a desire to attempt to change time in order to make this better for the world. He refused to listen to Ryan's cautions that time was more complicated than that and the two quarreled. Henry left in a rage, sabotaging Ryan's time machine in the process to prevent him from following, and this is where our story begins.

[MENTION=4238]Ryex[/MENTION] - for Ryan this story is consistent with his own personal time line. It starts after Henry sabotages Ryan's time machine and leaves.

Last edited:
Ok All

The IC Thread is now up!

Your intro post should include where your character is and what they are doing Also please posts a year and location at the top of your posts i.e
Year: Irrelevant, Location: A Bubble Outside Time

After everybody makes an Intro post I'll have the Servant of time pick everybody up on by one. Pickups should go relatively fast, but more about that once the Intros are done :)

Missed the opening of this. Still in!

Quiet One your post was perfect. I like the whole Mars thing.
Here's a cookie :cookie:

Oh...This is awkward. I just completely changed it because I didn't like how I wrote it.
*looks left and right, then steals the cookie and runs*
I can put the Mars thing in a later post.

The second one is good too. You can keep the cookie :)

[MENTION=2387]SilverJae[/MENTION] [MENTION=5470]towerofpimps[/MENTION] [MENTION=3204]Quiet One[/MENTION] [MENTION=4238]Ryex[/MENTION]

I'm going to go ahead and start the pickup posts with SilverJae's character. It should only take one or two posts to get her Character on the S.T.A.N. before moving onto the next. If someone wants to volunteer to have their character picked up next let me know, and we'll work out the best "hook"

Otherwise feel free to have your characters go on with their daily lives.

Okay im going to try and post tonight I'm sorry It's taking so long I just had a lot of stuff come up this week

Status
Not open for further replies.