Cliche or Original Cliche?

Oh, the lightning was just something that's written in her profile. She was a character created in a video game where you can use elemental magic. I Tend to keep profiles of characters as they were in their moment of creation but they can always be changed to fit the setting. :P

We still need to figure out what kind of magic there is. >.>

I vote for some weird, off-the-wall type of magic system. :)

There is the traditional islander belief that sacrifice is necessary for divine blessing. Perhaps magic in the islands comes from willfully sacrificing something of self to the diety of the islands in exchange for power.

Ive seen systems where magic requires special hallucinogens to access the portion of brain to make magic. Shamanic type stuff.

There's also tattoo and rune escribing in the flesh to allow for limited and specific magical effects.

The idea of collecting magic tattoos to give you powers sounds interesting. Reminds me of the movie the Apprentice, I think it was called? Where Nicolas Cage plays a wizard in modern times. They ended up fighting a man covered in tattoos that he could bring to life to fight for him. It was a cool concept.,

Yeah, that is pretty cool. Maybe they are from a lost age, so the only way to find the design/spell for them is in ruins? It would be a good reason to be a part of the treasure-hunting crew!

There's also no reason all of the systems couldn't be used! Maybe the rune magic is more dependable and safe, but scarce. The other methods like the sacrifice sometimes don't work, or the results aren't as intended. The drug one could be bad for your health, or addictive? So finding more runes is like a treasure!

I'm in it for the treasure, though! :D

Last edited:
World history claims the islands were once home to a currently extinct race called the old ones. Perhaps they are the source of ruins, tech, and obscure magic knowledge found in the region

oops, sorry i edited my post after your reply :C

Sounds like the suggestion is to have magic be scarce due to the terrible price of use vs it just being too mysterious and obscure to find.

Question; is the entire roleplay going to take place over Discord?

Ah okay. Cause roleplay over Discord is too fast-paced for me ;_;

About the magic system. What if we think of a theme for the system? That might help narrow things down.
Like do we want to go with an element theme? Do magic users need to use a focus/tool to activate their magic? I.E weapons, jewelry, tattoos, etc...? Do magic users 'borrow' magic from an entity? Or borrow it from a familiar type creature? Or do we seek inspiration from existing systems from elsewhere? >.>

I like the idea of blood sacrifice for magic. The idea of sacrificing a living being or x amount of your own life for terrible powers from a diety or primordial elemental being.

Sacrifice chicken to vulkan the elemental of heat and magna for the ability to lighy something on fire.

Sacrifice a kidnapped man to the flames and get the ability to conjurr and hurl flames.

Pour out your own blood short of dying to the sea and be granted the ability to conjure a terrible storm be the water elemental.

Stuff that takes your life or a life as a payment for limited use or limited power magics of tremendous power.

Reactions: ImaginationGoneWild
I like the idea of ones life for power most. The closer to death you bring yourself or the greater the setback, the greater the arcane power from the one you sacrifice to.

Anyone pkay greedfall or new world. I like this sailor, exploerer, settler period aesthetic for our rp.

I like the idea of ones life for power most. The closer to death you bring yourself or the greater the setback, the greater the arcane power from the one you sacrifice to.

Anyone pkay greedfall or new world. I like this sailor, exploerer, settler period aesthetic for our rp.
Neat idea. I wonder, can the power be stored up in advance or is it more like a "use it the moment you sacrifice" type?

I'm not planning on being a magic user, but magic-systems make me nerd out, lol. I guess you wouldn't really be called a mage in this would you? More like a Faithful or something. Really interesting to think of how society would be in this world.

Also, if we're going with getting the power through a deity, I would think each god would be picky in some way right? For instance, the fire god would be a jealous god (for example), so if you call upon another god's power he would get pouty and not grant your next fire spell. And some gods wouldn't mind if you made occasional offerings to other gods, so long as you follow their rules/tenants. Like the water god forbids you from killing any sea creature, so you can't ever go fishing?

@ImaginationGoneWild What you think, Wild? What kind of magic would you like to see? I don't feel right throwing suggestions when I'm not even gonna be using magic XD

I'm fine with any kind of magic system. (household is a bit busy lately so my replies are scarce for now x-x ).

But I like the theme of sacrificing something to a deity and then based on the sacrifice they'll give you power from their domain. (fire god gives you fire powers, ocean god turns you into aquaman, zeus gives you lightning powers etc....) It's a simple rule and easy to follow. And makes people wonder, 'what did you do for your power?'.

All sensible suggestions and pretty much what i had in mind.

Either of you guys have any friends you wanna invite on our adventure rp?