Classic Anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unico. I was around 7 years old and it was on the "Beta version' of what is now Nickalodean. It was pretty freaking awesome compared to the boring kids cartoon shows that I had seen up to that point. It was the first anime I ever watched. It was weird and different and cool which made in very interesting and later in life I searched it out and re watched it, still weird and different and cool all these years later.

GunBuster is the pinnacle of anime...

giphy.gif

Hf8h0CO.gif

Personally I'd use 'retro' to describe any anime made in the 80's or sooner.
So, everything that'd fall under it is too old for me to have seen.

Anime I did grow up with (before I found streaming, and high quality anime) were:
  1. Pokemon
  2. Digimon
  3. Beyblade
  4. Yu-Gi-Oh
  5. Naruto
  6. Dragonball Z
  7. Transformers

A lot of my classics have already been mentioned here... EXCEPT FOR THIS!

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
robotech-logo-copia.jpg

Little known fact:

Many decades ago, Carl Macek had the insane idea of taking 3 unrelated anime and mashing them together with English dubbing to make a multi-generational space opera epic.

Without it, we wouldn't actually have a modern-day anime industry.

Robotech, with both its fandom and detractors, is one of the cornerstone productions of Western exposure to anime (then known as Japanimation - I remember when it was still called that, too! Fuck, I'm old!).

Corrected. IN 'MURICA!
Real talk. I watched robotech first, on VHS like a real OG. Got all of robotech on dvd, along with the unaltered Macross. They are both dear to me. And yes, Robotech paved the way.

BUt man. There was some top tier butchering going with how they treated the orginal material.

Reactions: Razilin
Cyborg 009 :D The second anime series I watched ^_^

This version isn't the oldest of course, but the one I watched :3 It had a pretty retro feel to it.

index.jpg

I don't think I saw anyone with that one. >_>

Man, I miss the Hard Sci Fi of the 80's.

I mean looking all This Shiirow Masamune titles is starting to make my heart ache and make me realize how old all this shit is.

Oh man, childhood anime. I remember staying up late with my sister when we were kids, watching Revolutionary Girl Utena until we fell asleep. Gotta love that retro Shoujo-ai shit.

Just hearing the music is bringing back so many nice memories.

Reactions: Razilin
Status
Not open for further replies.