Circus by Day, Assassins by Night

• Thread starter All My Love Is Books
  • Start date
"I don't know Logan. Just something... I mean don't you remember when we were fresh out into the world? We didn't hardly ever fight and there was none of this worrying about getting into trouble with the other genders. I just want to take some time and go back to those beginning days. Even though what we do for a living isn't happy... I was happy doing it with you. I miss the old you." Markie murmured as she turned on her heel and walked to pick up the knifes. She was slow and deliberate, even stopping to pick up the arrows that she had shot off.

When she came back she put them in a pile on the ground and looked over at him. "I want to be happy again. That's all I have going for me in this world and I am starting to lose it." She looked almost... sad and Markie hardly ever showed that side of her. She preferred to go for brute force or being a complete and utter liar because she didn't want to deal with the effects of being a girl and the emotions that came with that.

"I'm sorry," Logan said, walking to her. Without warning, he pulled her into a hug, His arms found the familiar places to hold her that he had once known so well, back when they were still 'friends' and not 'partners'. Back then, they had always been there to comfort each other, but it had been many years since Logan had embraced her last.

He held her for as long as he deemed fit, before taking a few steps back, to gauge her reaction. "If you truly think it would help," he said, "then we can leave, for as long as you want."

Markie was taken back by his sudden embrace, but she quickly relaxed and wrapped her arms around him. For a moment it was like they were young teenagers again and they had first been paired up. She had thought that he was most definitely the cutest boy of the lot and he was going to be her partner. She smiled a bit at the thought of that first day and then he was pulling away and Markie felt a twinge of sadness. She looked back at him and smiled at him. Just that one hug had pretty much made up for their fight last night and while she knew that they would be okay... the next fight was always just around the corner.

"I don't want to go for long. Just two or three days. Just enough time for us to calm down, come back to each other and be real partners again." Markie murmured and reached out to grab his hand. She gave it a firm squeeze and then dropped it. She turned and grabbed her weapons, picking up the bow and letting the arrows fly. All three hit the tree this time, but only one hit her target. She was working it out though and her body was feeling better now that she was doing some physical activity.

"Okay," Logan consented. "I think a break would be good best for both of us...Where are you going?" He had to know. He didn't want to pry, but he couldn't help it. Markie was his partner, and there hadn't been a day gone that he hadn't seen her since they had first been paired together. He could still remember how scared he had been, not knowing what sort of person he would be paired with, and then the immense relief when he saw that it was just a girl. But years and years had gone by, and now they were both adults. Still...he couldn't help but feel a sort of protectiveness about Markie come over him.

"I don't know. Not many places to go. Can't see our families because they think that we are both dead. I don't have any friends aside from you and the trainer for the lions back there and I don't think that I need to tell her I'm an assassin. Always wanted to go to the ocean and stay there for a few days. Remember when we traveled there last year? Oh it was amazing. I never wanted to leave." Markie murmured with a happy smile on her face. Now she picked up one of the throwing knives and twirled it between her fingers. "Where would you have us go?" Markie asked, turning around to look at him.

The knife never stopped moving once and she just kind of smiled at him. She was good at knives and this was childs play to her. Logan would know he had nothing to be worried about. She was genuinely happy that he had decided to go with her... just get away from it all.

"I'd want to go..." he thought for a moment, pulling up a blank. "I don't know...It feels like my whole life has been spent as an assassin, first training and then actually killing someone. Running a hand through his hair, he sighed heavily. The only place he could think of wanting to go was the town he had been born in. He had a twin brother and a few younger siblings he had left behind, and he would want to be able to see how they were doing. He would be fine not even talking to them, just looking.

Sighing softly, he frowned, wondering what he could say that wouldn't have him sounding selfish or cynical. "Why don't we visit the capitol? We can see the city, buy some new clothes, that sort of thing, We could be there and back in three days, tops, and no one would miss us. What do you say?"

Markie shook her head. "We can't go there.... too many people. Somebody might be there that could recognize us. As much as I would love to go back to regular civilization, we can't afford that luxury." Markie murmured softly. She had stopped twirling the knife and then suddenly threw it right past his head and it landed with a deep thud against the tree behind him. She grinned and then began pacing back and forth, still smiling just a little bit. "Maybe we could go there for a few hours, but we can't stay there." The allure of new clothing was the part that was catching Markie up. She felt petty and girly for wanting to go and get new clothes, but it was time that her old ones were burned at the stake. "So that way... you know we can go shopping." Markie murmured softly not really wanting Logan to hear.

"Yeah..." He hadn't liked how she had scared him, with her knife, but as he saw how excited she was getting, he had to forgive her. "It'd take almost a day to get to the capitol, we can camp out for the night, then go into the capitol, spend a few hours, leave, and be back by the time the circus has started packing up. It's a perfect plan!" He smiled. He needed new clothing, too, though he wasn't as excited about it as she was. Maybe he could even get a new knife, if he had enough money saved up. He could use a new one...his current one had too many nicks in it to count, and was likely to fall apart the next time he used it.

It would be perfect. "We'll take one tent to make sure we aren't carrying as much so that way the horses aren't tired." Markie murmured as she walked around him and picked up her throwing knive. She studied it for a few moments and then began collecting all of her things and putting them back where they had come from. "I think that I'm good for the day. Unless you're up for a little wrestling match." Markies eyes glinted with hope that were saying she hoped he would say yes because she could use the extra physical training. She was always somewhat gentle when it came to wrestling with Logan though because he would be no good to her all beat up and broken. "Please? It would be good for you too. Get some anger out. You can even hit me... if I let you." Markie taunted with a smirk on her face.

Logan ran a hand through his hair. "I really don't...." he sighed heavily. "Fine. I'll spar with you. No cheating, though." Straightening, he rolled his shoulders before taking a defensive position, making sure to keep his stance wide. "Since I'm a gentleman, I'll let you try to hit me first. That way, it's self-defense." He chuckled before raising his hand in a yawn and then resuming his defensive stance. Normally, he would warm up first, but in a real fight, you didn't get to warm up, so he decided he would work on warming up in the middle of a fight.

"We all know that you are the cheater between us." Markie muttered and walked back over to the clearing. She lightly jumped between shifting weights and stared him down. The way to figure out what the person would do was to look straight into their eyes. Since he hadn't made a move yet, Markie quickly moved in with a punch to his gut that she knew he could easily block. It would be harder to go for her foot thought that was coming in to sweep him and knock him off balance. She didn't say anything as she attacked because that would only make her lose her breath faster and then she would be the weak link.

Logan had been about to make a smart quip about her comment when she attacked. Blocking her first punch, he had to jump into the air in order to avoid her leg and not fall. As soon as he was on the ground again, he aimed a left hook towards her side, aiming to unbalance her so he coudl get her on the ground. Suddenly wishing he had eaten that morning, as he heard his stomach growling in agony, he forced himself to ignore it, and focus on Markie. She made him keep on his toes all the time, and if he gave her an inch in a fight, she would take a mile, and he didn't want her to gain the upper hand at it. Sometimes, he could do that, but right now he felt like he had to ascertain himself as the dominant one in their partnership. Aiming a high kick, he forced his mouth into a tight line, his hazel eyes fierce with determination.

Markie slid in almost under him when he jumped high to avoid her leg coming in. She was quick to balance herself, but not quick enough to block the hook. She felt him connect to her side, but she didn't go over like he had wanted. It still bloody hurt though and that just turned on Markie and she kicked it into high gear. Each block was stronger and she was now aiming to be on the offensive and wear him out. Everytime he kicked or punched a little bit of his energy seeped away and as long as she blocked it, everything would be okay. With the high kick though, Markie grabbed his foot and immediately twisted it over his body so that his other leg would be forced to move and because she had his foot, he would go tumbling down. There was no other way to get around it.

Shouting out a curse as soon as she twisted his leg around, he threw out his arms in order to lessen his fall. Throwing himself into the fall, he let himself fall onto his shoulder, yelling out when it collided with a root. Twisting around, he faced her, his shoulder throbbing from where he had fallen onto it. With his other leg, he kicked out at Markie's legs, before forgetting about that endeavor and reaching up to grab the edge of her shirt. Yanking her down, he aimed her so that she would fall on top of him, and not get hurt. "Does this mean I win?" he asked, smirking.

Markie looked triumpahnt but it was quickly replaced with a look of surprise as he swept her legs and then grabbed her shirt. she landed on top of him with an "Oof." She took a few breaths in and then shook her head. "No... technically since I am on top that means that I win." Markie replied. She shifted her body around so that her arms pinned his and her legs pinned his also. Now he wouldn't be able to try and roll them over and be the pinner instead of the one being pinned. "So this means that I win... like I knew I would." Markie told him and grinned down at him. "It's okay, just means you got beat by a girl that's all." Markie murmured before she stood up and put her hand out for him to take to stand up. "Let's go back. I'm hungry."

Though Logan would never admit it, he kind of liked it when Markie had him pinned to the ground. Ignoring that feeling, he ran his fingers through his hair before grabbing for Markie's hand. Having her pull hm up, he nodded and said, "Fine." Picking twigs out of his hair, he said, "If I didn't know better, I'd say that my shoulder is dislocated," he said idly, using his right hand to rub his hurt shoulder. "Might just need to find that glowing circus girl to massage the pain out of me..." Logan knew that he was fighting dirty now, but he couldn't help it. Saying stuff like that was sure to spark a fight again, but they weren't technically on vacation yet. "Sorry," he mumbled a few minutes later, a frown on his face.

Markie had not moved that far away from Logan when he taunted her. She was still feeling that good old fiesty spirit and she was quick to turn around and punch him in the stomach. It wasn't hard, but it wasn't exactly soft either. "If I see any more of that glowing circus girl on you then I will personally take her into the lions cage and leave her there acidentally." Markie muttered and stared at him. She had heard his apology but it did not mean much to her because she had laid it out there on the table and he could take that how he wished. Yes she was violent, but he knew that. "If your shoulder is dislocated I will put it back in place for you, would you like that Logan?" Markie asked with an absolutely much to cheerful smile on her face.

Maybe she was going crazy...

"Hey, hey, careful with the violence." Logan said, before he added, "No need to be jealous of glowing circus girls." He rolled his eyes. "It's not like anything's gonna come out of it." Sighing softly, he continued, "I think you're too riled up to be trusted in relocating a shoulder. That might end up bad for me." He smiled, though it was kind of forced. His stomach hurt from where she had punched him, and he wasn't in a grinning mood.

Putting his saddle back on his horse, he gently patted her neck softly, smiling and murmuring softly to her. Raising his voice just enough for Markie to hear, he said, "You don't get jealous of me when I start kissing other girls, do you? You accept that I have emotional trauma from countless years of killing people for money. Isn't that right, girlie?" He smiled, inhaling that sweet, horsey smell she had to her.

"Careful with the violence?" Markie repeated, but did not go into any further depth with that particular sentence because he knew who he was talking to. When he mentioned not needing to be jealous and nothing would come of it, the smug smirk on her face said everything that she did not say aloud. "Oh so you're just going to walk around all day with a hurt shoulder? Good idea. Just let me do it. I promise I won't make it any worse." Markie told him with a serious tone to her. She grabbed his hand and pressed it against her side so that it wouldn't move.

Then she put her other hand on his shoulder and without any warning at all she pushed it back into place, clicking it in with a POP noise from his joints. "See? I know what I am doing." Markie muttered and slowly let his hand go. She had pretty much ignored his ramblings to the horse because if she paid any attention then she was more likely than not going to flip a lid again and she wanted to stay calm. "Now, let's go home. I'm hungry." Markie told him again before walking over to her mare who was to busy eating to want to leave. "Come on you lazy thing." Markie muttered, pulling the saddle on and climbing on her back.

As he led the way back towards the camp, Logan tried not to jostle his shoulder. It still hurt from where Markie had popped it back into place, and every time he moved it weird, it would hurt. "Now," he called back to Markie, "I'm wishing I'd kept my shoulder dislocated...I'm pretty sure this hurts worse." He frowned, before letting out a soft sigh.

When he returned to the corral at the camp, he unsaddled his horse before letting her run off to the other horses. Feeling his stomach growl again, he muttered, "I wonder what's for lunch today..."