Chrysalia Chronicle (1x1 Qrow and Magissa Kei)

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Alright then, time is wasting the longer we sit here. Time to saddle up." Lumin stated, hoisting herself up onto one of the horses. "If you're ready Cora, we're heading north to the capital." Galahin nodded to the both of them, "I'm praying that the two of you are able to do what you need to do." Lumin nodded to the man, but was a bit caught up, when she was in school, there'd been one day that the students had earned to ride horses, and she'd been pretty good at it. But, it had been a while. She moved her hands over the reins, tapped the stirrups with her feet, and petted the horse's soft mane. It would be touch and go at the very least, she was counting on nothing but muscle memory. "You good with horses, Cora?" She asked, looking back at the other girl. Beyond the corner of her eye, she could physically see her hands, looking more rough and cracked than before. She nearly risked an alarmed cry, instead pulling at her sleeves with an annoyed huff, face shifting momentarily into a harsh grimace.

Immediately recovering, Lumin looked towards the edge of the village, having a better look from the vantage point of the back of a horse. There were forest, to the east of there, the lake that they'd run into, to the west more forest and another village. To the south there was the large ocean, actually named Ocean Largo, and the north were the winding forest paths that led to the capital city. She had a map, but honestly, map-reading was a lot more difficult than it's portrayed in the games. Ah, that's the first thing she had to stop doing. She'd been walking around, assuming that because of the likeness of the situation, it was similar to her video-games, but if she kept that up, she would get them both killed. It would take a good long while to break the habit, but she needed to ground herself on the fact that this was fast becoming the new reality. There was no doubt about that, the sooner she got that in her head, the better.

Following lumin lead cora hoisted herself up onto her own horse, taking the reins as she shifted in the saddle making sure it wasn't losses and everything was on that they needed before looking over at lumin nodding "I'm good with them..I used to have riding lessons but I...stop when I was thirteen though in the summer I work on the ranch" clicking her tongue getting the horse to start moving making their way out of the village.

She would miss galahin he was a nice man but they couldn't have stayed in the village for ever expecially if they wanted to go home, it was exciting but also scary but at least she had lumin.

Ever the rough and tumble leader, Lumin immediately pulled out her map. They could probably get in ten kilometers before they needed rest, but that would still be only a third of the way there. Realistically, they would need the break, but that didn't stop Lumin from daydreaming about pushing herself to the limit. She snorted, pushing aside the idealism for the moment, and turning to Cora, now other own horse. "We'll be traveling for a good three hours, thanks to the terrain alone. We'll take a break after that, get our bearing and continue on as much as we can, but we won't travel if it gets to be nighttime...Which I realize is closer the more I sit and talk about it." Lumin put the map away for the moment, then, with a swift whistle, Lumin sent a light kick to her horse's sides, urging it to gallop.

In no time, the clearing of trees surrounding the village melded into a dense collection of overhanging limbs and bumpy terrain riddled with roots. They had been forced into a trot almost immediately, much to Lumin's chagrin. Even worst seemed to be the setting sun that forestalled her carefully thought out plans. Lumin ground her teeth at the fast approaching delay, but there weren't that many other options. "...Are you any good with camping?' she called back to Cora, mostly to break the otherwise large stretch of silence between the two of them. "We'll have to stop soon, and set up a camp for the evening." She was going for polite, but it would have been foolish to ignore that condescending tone of voice. Lumin looked at the surroundings as shadows climbed up the trees and cast ghastly looking shapes just outside of her vision. Conversation was a good buffer for the unease she had begun to feel, but with her "stunning" conversational skills, she would find herself surrounded by the silence soon enough. And the dark. And the cold.

Not to mention the itching sensation in her arms had grown even more severe as the temperature dropped. It must be the dead of Autumn for the biting cold she was feeling. Or the start of winter....It reminded her of her dorm room in the summer, closely guarding the thermostat from her roommate, and keeping the A/C on insanely low temperatures. Her roommate had said it was ironic that she wanted the room so cold, what with her being so "cold-blooded." If Lumin remembered correctly, she had just scoffed and remarked that it was more punny that anything else. She would really love the security of four walls and bad company right about now. Though, if she thought about it hard enough, Cora seemed to be cold and she was company, so that counted for something.

Clicking her tongue as she lightly kicked the horses sides going into a gallop following after lumin though it was short lived once they were out of the village the terrain became more dense and roots poked out of the ground making them slow down.

Looking up through the forest Cora could see the sun starting to set even though they had started to travel they hadn't gotten as far as they wanted go, the roots made it hard for the horses to go any faster and with the sun setting they'd have to stop somewhere for the night. If they did stop they'd have to make camp, looking at the packs on the horse she realized she never looked inside to see what they had hopefully some kind of tent or blanket and how would they make a fire well if lumin could light it than they'd be fine thinking as she heard lumin.

Clicking her tongue so the horse would move up to beside lumin "I've gone camping a few times but...I'm not sure what we have to use for camp in the packs galahin gave us" motioning with her head to the packs on the horses catching a glimpse of white in her vision. Cora had forgotten about her new white hair not having seen it yet it had been a while since one of them had accidently used their new abilities though now that she thought about it she didn't feel cold even though it was getting to be that time of day.

"Yeah, we should set up a camp for the moment, it'll be treacherous to maneuver the horses like this." Lumin stated, veering her steed to the left, heading for a more stable patch of land. "Don't worry about the camping aspects of everything. I checked my own horse's carriage, and except for the lack of a fire, I'm pretty sure we've got all we might need for shelter." Lumin hopped off of her horse, tying the reins to the secure part of a low-hanging branch. "Let's get set-up as much as we can right here." She looked into one of the large packages on her horse's side, there was material for a tent (thank goodness, she wasn't sure there for a second), and even a cover for the horses if it got too chilly. Fun.

Lumin moved the materials towards the center of the clearing. "We should probably collect wood, it'll get really cold soon... We need to start a fire." It was, just as soon as she'd said the words, that her body seemed to glow up, illuminating the skin light a light bulb. She didn't even really notice at first. Not until she moved a hand to her face and noticed the brightness, and strange heat coming off of it. "Well, this is weird... Guess I don't need the fire that badly..."

Steering her horse after lumin following her to the more clear area of the road, getting of the her horse tying it to a low branch giving it a tug making sure it was secure before going over to Lumin helping her out with the tent, she didn't want to stand around and doing nothing.

As she helped lumin with the tent moving it closer to the center, nodding at lumin agreeing that they needed to make a fire when lumin had started to glow. Blinking to make sure she was seeing things right and realized lumin was actually glowing "Well...at least now..we'll be able to get fire wood easily" smiling at her, not sure what it was but once lumin started to glow it was hard to look away she was very pretty.

Lumin sighed, in a more comical manor than usual. Honestly, compared the straight-out fire she managed to cause earlier, and the ice-thing Cora could do...and the shape-shifting bull-man. and-...Well, compared to all that, the glowing of her skin was a more tame surprise. They would still need wood, regardless of the fact they didn't need the light anymore. The warmth was still important. "Cora, can you put up the tent, or get started on it. I'll go get some wood." Lumin inspected the immediate area around their small clearing. There were a few branches that had probably been knocked down by some wandering predators, or even some of the hunters from the village. The latter was especially possible, with what Galahin had told them about their strong magical abilities. "I can see some wood over there. I'll be back really quick." With that, Lumin walked over, hopping over some large roots, and making sure to keep the campsite in her sites.

It was literally no trouble to get the wood, however, as Lumin tried to pick it up the wood burned up immediately, cause her to step back in surprise as ash fell to the ground in front of her. "Oh!" she whispered, followed by a dissatisfied hiss as she realized she would have to gather more wood. But if she was gonna burn it all again, she would be in a rather large spot of difficulty. With a sharp snort, Lumin stood and flipped her satchel, which had never left her back. She took out her old clothing and wrapped her hands with them. And with a silent prayer, she hoped the clothes would stay un-burnt long enough for her to transport wood to the camp. Lumin let out a sort of cry of relief as her prayers were answered. But she could smell burning cloth, and quickly hurried back to the site with teh wood, dropping it down plainly in the middle of the campsite. "Alright-y, how is the tent coming?"

Nodding watching as lumin went to collect Wood than looking back to their tent (I'm assuming it's an old style tent) making sure it was laid out completely before taking the ten pegs beginning to hammer them into the peg holes on the left side looking up every few seconds to see if lumin was back or if anyone or thing was here but besides the horses it was just cora. Moving to the right side of the tent hammering the pegs into the ground making sure the tent was tight so it wouldn't fall over when she tried to stand it up, once all the pegs for the sides were hammered down she assembled the pole lifting up the tent sticking it in the top corner of the tent while wedging it into the ground. Sure that the pole wouldn't fall over she let it go taking hold of the guy rope pulling it until it was tight than pegging it to the ground once that side was done she made her way to the side doing the same thing before undoing the flaps for the back and front hooking them together.

Taking a step back to see the tent she smiled to herself glad that she had set the tent up correctly turning around when she heard something being dropped on the ground only to see lumin there with the would she collected on the ground but her hands where covered with her clothes "Good I think I set it up correctly, are you.. are you okay? Are you hurt?" Moving closer to Lumin glancing at her hands worried she had gotten hurt.

"Hurt?...Wha- Oh! You mean this." Lumin shook her covered hands, shrugging it off with a small laugh. "No, I'm not hurt. Sticks burned as I picked them up...this helped, sort of." Lumin let out another small chuckle, this time in concern to her reaction for the flammability of her hands. It was kind of unfortunate that it had become so common place. "What about you? Was everything alright with the tent? It looks great." Lumin looked over their temporary sleeping quarters for the night. With an appreciative nod towards Cora, Lumin slipped the clothing off of her hands, and folded it up, slipping her satchel around and placing the clothes back inside. Then, she head to the horses, where there were some foodstuffs they could be eating. They would have to preserve this, seeing as they would be here a while, and Lumin had vastly underestimated the route they would be taking. Lumin sighed, " We've got what looks like that soup from earlier here, would you like to eat that? We've also got some covers that are probably supposed to serve as sleeping bags, if you want me to go ahead and pull those out."

Lumin gathered the food and covers, patting her horse on the back before heading back to the campsite. Lumin neared the tent with materials in hand, getting a closer inspection of the tent that Cora had put together. It really was a good job. Like Lumin would see in movies, or video-games, or when her father would set it up for herself and her brothers. Taking a bit of a breather, she turned towards the center of the camp where the fire wood was dropped, rather haphazardly on her part. "I can try to get the food and fire started for us, Could you set-up the makeshift sleeping bags? And thank you, your a huge help."

Relieved that lumin wasn't hurt she let out the breath she was holding in "Oh um thank you, it was fine nothing to difficult" looking at the tent than back to Lumin watching as she placed her clothes back into her satchel before making her way over to the horses taking something out of the packs than making her way back to cora.

Nodding cora took the makeshift sleeping bags from lumin softly smiling at her as she did "You don't have to thank me...besides if you weren't here I don't think I'd be able to do any of this by myself" blushing slightly as she looked at the ground avoiding eye contact.

"Aw, don't yourself so short. I'm sure you would have been capable of something great." Lumin waved the idea away, focusing on the task in front of her. She could cook, though there weren't many opportunities to in a small college dorm, however, she was more worried about something else. She was going to be a little bit risky here, and try using the glowing warmth that her hands emitted to try and start of a fire. There weren't many risks, aside from the fact that she would then have to go for flint rock if it didn't work. She didn't want that. They'd been given a sort of cooking bowl to use, and so Lumin poured the ingredients into that. It was sort of a leftovers kind of deal, where they were just re-heating food. Then, with a look of utter contemplation, she created the sfire pile and had teh bowl suspended with its content above the wood where the fire would be. She felt a slight tightening in her stomach as she cupped her hands together and held them under the bowl and over the wood stack. It was a weird sensation when her hunch paid off.

Her skin had began to glow a brighter white hot, the flaky scale designs on her hand were a tad bit more prominent as well. And... well, the woods sparked, and a small fire began to start up. Lumin let out a shocked laugh. "Oh! Wow, that's cool!" she exclaimed, even better was the fact that her hands couldn't feel the fire that had started up, nothing but the own warmth they had already held was there. "First I glow in the dark, and now this..." she mused, pulling her hands out from under the cooking bowl, careful not to spill it over. Not to mention (though she surely wouldn't) the scales popping up in all sorts of random places around her body, itching against the fabric. Though that last one was sort of a different kind of cool. Like bugs are to adolescent boys. Nonetheless, Lumin turned to Cora, saying, "Food should be done in a good minute or so!" Though her timing was somewhat off, as the food was back to the its normal boiling warmth in what might have been a good record. Fun.

With more of the materials from the bags, Lumin readied two bowls, one for herself, the other for Cora. She was going to give themselves large helpings and give the rest of the cooking bowl to the horses. "Here you are." she stated, holding the bowl out in front of her friend.

Smiling turning to the tent unhooking the entrance going inside with the covers or they're makeshift sleeping bags, putting the covers on the ground thinking of how she could make the blankets into a sleeping bag. She could fold them in half the blankets were a good size not to mention thick so they'd keep there body heat in, looking back over her shoulder to the other girl hopefully lumins power won't set the blanket on fire that's be a problem since they'd only have one and there still far away from the city though they could share blushing as she thought of the idea.

No use thinking of something that might not even happen thinking to herself as she toke one blanket laying it out than folding it over, doing the same with the other one as she heard lumin. Exiting the tent doing it back up as she did, walking over to Lumin taking a seat beside her in front of the fire as lumin handed her a bowl "Thank you it's looks good" enjoying the warmth from the fire and the heat from the bowl though it took a while to really feel it must be because of her abilities well at least the bowl isn't frozen though it was curious of how their abilities.

"I know right? And I used the fire power-thingy that I seem to have! It's like if you focus hard enough, you can control the Mana in different parts of your body or something." Lumin kept the idea in mind as she greedily began to chow down. She could see the horses eating so it wasn't terrible. Then again, she already knew that, having eaten this same food before. She continued on to say, "I mean, if we're going to be here a while, then it would probably be good to have a handle on this Mana and how to use it. Hell, we might even be able to keep this ability when we go back home too." Now that was a thought that made Lumin chuckle, being able to spontaneously burst things into flames would be so problematic in college, especially in her dorms.

"We'll probably have to learn this world by experiences anyway, while we're looking for Haber. Since all those probably-very-helpful books that Galahin gave us are illegible, at least to us." Lumin sighed, a light humor tinting her voice, "God! We are going to make a lot of mistakes! I hope there aren't any sort of special customs for this capital city we're heading towards. There's nothing I want here badly enough to stake my life on yet!"

Smiling as she listened to Lumin talk as she ate her food nodding in agreement to what she was saying it made sense that if they were going to be here that they get a handle on their abilities maybe after dinner she'd ask lumin if they could practice. Though she wasn't sure if she was excited or nervous about the thought of still having their powers if they did get back, would she still have her white hair but being way more tolerable to cold was a pretty good thing.

Shocked at lumins out burst cora quickly put her bowl and lumins bowl down on the ground before taking her hands in her own feeling the heat off of them "Lumin look at me, we are going to be fine. Yes were going to mess up but we'll get through togethor no one was born with this knowledge so we'll find someone to teach us as we look for clues on Haber" giving lumins hands a gentle squeeze smiling softly at her "Well can do this just one step at a time okay".

Lumin held a small look of surprise, "Yeah, I know. I just wanted... to point out the obvious. Sorry, it's a bad habit I do when I'm nervous." With the utmost care, Lumin sipped her hands out of Cora's grip. "Thank you though." she rubbed her hands, surprised that the girl didn't let go when she felt the scaly texture. She looked down a her bowl, not really hungry anymore at the moment. "I'm sorry if I worried you." She looked, the sun had already settled under the horizon, and the light from cooking served as their light source. There wasn't much else to do. Except for maybe sleep. "Hey, you have the sleeping arrangements set-up, right? I'm thinking about going to sleep. We'll need all of our energy for tomorrow morning. Or, well... the horses will." Lumin stood up, stretching arms and legs before making her way to their makeshift shelter. She looked in, seeing the space, and let out a little sigh. "Not to be rude...but I think my dorm is bigger than this..." she mused quietly to herself. Sucking up her rather pompous attitude to the floor cot, Lumin sat on top of her bed for just a moment. She wanted to try and turn off the glowing warmth. If she set the bed on fire, not only would that be lost, but so would the tent, and herself, and Cora.

Lumin sighed, taking deep and even breaths. She tried to think of cold and dark, something that might cool her internal temperature. Just repeating some random mantra to herself, they didn't even make sense. For a second, she felt even hotter, which caused her to worry for a second, but when the glow of her skin died sown back into her normal pale skin tone, she smiled, laying down onto her bed with a somewhat tired smile. "Oh!~ I'm so glad...I just....I just needed to..." An immediate sense of sleepiness began to overtake her. The actual act of using her powers must've managed to tire Lumin out immensely. She could barely see straight, curling tightly into a ball, before welcoming the tired aching her entire self.

"Oh no..its fine I..I'm glad your okay and yes their all set up..I'm going to finish eating than I'll turn in too" blushing as she picked the bowl from the ground before looking over watching lumin go into the tent. Letting out a sigh bringing a hand up to rubb the side of her face before rubbing her fingers togethor remember the odd texture of lumins hands they were smooth but ruff if she had to give it a word it'd be scaly must be the same as her hair turning white but they were warm to the touch.

Shaking her head clearing the thoughts away beginning to eat the rest of her stew watching the fire flicker and Crack as she ate the rest of her stew, putting the empty bowl inside of lumins bowl turning back to the fire. The warmth of the fire was making her eyes begin to close but quickly sitting up realizing how to tired she was but she could t leave the fire burning but she didn't have any water to put it out with so what could she oh what maybe her abilities but she had no idea but might as well try. "Okay I can do this" shaking her hands letting out a deep breath as she held her hands out to the fire closing her eyes trying to focus making the wood colder trying to imagine the mana flowing through her up to her arms to her hands to the fire, after a few seconds opening her eyes surprised to see that the fire was indeed out but the logs were covered in ice well at least the fire out. Getting up from her spot walking to the tent going inside to see lumin fast asleep in her sleeping bag, she must have been tired walking over to her own bag lifting the covers sliping inside laying down listening to lumins breathing as she slowly fell asleep.

The morning greeted Lumin with the smell of horse, the smell of dirt, and the rather distant smell of animal feces, though she couldn't discern the exact type. She sat straight up, having to take a moment to breathe, get her bearings and remember everything from the day before. She was very groggy, from sleeping on the floor, and her throat hurt. It was like her body knew something was wrong about the world she'd woke up in, and was trying to fight it, to no avail. Lumin let out a tired peep, not wanting to wake the person beside her, and slipped out of the tent as quietly as she could. The horses were up quick enough, and the fire was out. She'd completely forgotten about the fire, so she was glad to see that it was out, no doubt thanks to Cora.

Lumin greeted the horses, petting their manes and looking around them to make sure she didn't step into their business. They would probably need to get started on their journey again, especially since their setback yesterday. Lumin made sure to call her way over to he tent, gatherings the left-about dishes as she drew closer. "Cora, you're going to have to wake up, please!" she called in and she opened the tent. "We're going on the move in five minutes!" Lumin contemplated staying a little longer for breakfast, maybe for the fact that Cora might be used to breakfast...but she just wanted to go. That capital wasn't getting any closer with them just lounging about. Putting the dishes back in their respective bags after cleaning them as much as she could, Lumin readied the horses, untying them and holding the reins in her hands tightly.

The sun had begun to rise, it must've been horribly early when Lumin woke up, she winced, feeling bad for waking up Cora... Her attention didn't linger for long, as Lumin caught the glistening of something on her arm in the sunlight. It was shimmering, and so she maneuvering the reins, she began to pinch at the shining object, only to wince in pain. Upon closer inspection, Lumin found that her forearms were now speckled with flaky scales, very similar to her own pale skin in color. Had it gotten so bad? Why? Yesterday, she'd been wondering if their changing appearances and how fast it happened relied on how much Mana they used...but she hadn't really used- It was at that moment that Lumin remembered all that she had done exactly, and her wince turned into a slight groan. Cora had white hair. White. Hair. Why was it that she was plagued with such persistent scales?!

Bolting upward startled awake from lumin waking her up hopefully she hadn't overslept that would be embarrassing not to mention time consuming for them. Quickly standing up almost tripping as her foot got caught on the blanket she picked up the blankets shaking them getting rid of a young grass or dirt before rolling them up as they were before carrying them with her out of the tent putting them on the ground and began to take down the tent which didn't more than a minute or two since it was only pulling out the pegs, dismantling the stick than folding it back up.

Gathering everything in her arms cora quickly looked around to make sure she had everything with her, nodding satisfied walking over to Lumin with the horses. Making her way over to Lumin she saw the other girl holding her hand up to the sun it seemed something on her was reflecting the sun of whatever it was, she'd have to ask the other girl later now beside her horse packing the blankets and tent away taking the reins from lumin "Sorry for making you wait I didn't realize I overslept" saying as she got her horse.

"Yeah, don't worry about it. We just have to get back on the road again." Lumin stated, coming out of her own daydream back to reality.With the rest of their materials packed, Lumin mounted her horse as well. She was ready to go. Despite the now uncomfortable feeling of the reins under her now scaled fingers. "Let's head out! We've got a lot to cover today." With horses primed, Lumin lead her steed towards the clearest makeshift path, beckoning Cora and her horse to follow. After a few minutes on the path, in what Lumin hoped was the right direction, she checked the map in her satchel. Yeah, they were a little held up thanks to that detour, but if they continued on in the northeast direction for a good ten miles, then they would be fine. Hopefully, they would be able to make their destination.

There was no need to keep the information to herself, so Lumin decided to update Cora as well. Maybe start up some small talk that would make the entire trip feel a little less tedious. "So we'll be travelling for a good ten to fifteen minutes, if the trail is a little less perilous than yesterday...And I'm sorry we couldn't eat breakfast. We can make it up by having a big lunch." Lumin even made a large gesture with her hands. "How did you sleep?" she asked, rubbing her own tired eyes, and allowing the foreign sunlight to meet her face.

Breakfast? Oh that's right we didn't have any before we left and packed up "Oh that's fine...I don't really eat breakfast so I'll be fine until lunch don't apologize" How long has it been since I actually had breakfast probably just a little while after Sarah was born than she had to come. Just thinking of that awful women gave cora shivers shaking her head looking over at lumin smiling as she saw her rubbing her eyes "I slept alright a little bit sore from the ground, how did you sleep?".

Status
Not open for further replies.