Chrono Asylum: Prelude to Madness (OOC/Sign up)

I am not sure what's the actual conclusion in our debate regarding having each specialization focus on particular branches of Alchemy, but here is a summary of some of the facts that Xodus and I discussed towards the end:

Learning Alchemy at the Academy (Innocence):

Each student is taught various types of Alchemy and the one they are most proficient in is given to them as their alch-specs, which means that everyone starts off with potential to use Alchemy and not the ability to use a particular kind of Alchemy (think Harry Potter learning different types of spells, but being exceptionally good at the Patronus charm and the Protego charm). Students are encouraged to learn as much as they can so they can excel. After all each candidate is supposed to be above average to begin with.

Being Assigned Your Specialization (Hunter, Sniffer, Silencer, etc.):

As you study those in authority will decide what you are suited for and start training you in that area of expertise (it’s almost like how you select modules based on your major).

Others Facts:
  • Those who enter the Academy at a young age would know their alch-specs and specialization by the age of 10. Teens and younger adults learn faster than children, so discerning their alch-specs and specialization won’t take that long.
  • Those who fail to meet the cut will be terminated. Call it AMRO’s way to motivate you to study. =P

To put it simply, we will stick to the original design. We have our main alchemic specialty but with that to a lesser degree, we can also utilize other forms of basic alchemy. The reason for this is simply at the start all Asylums are at a basic level. Yes there are advanced forms of alchemy but we will not learn that yet.

With that said, yes as we advance our characters will improve and eventually you will get the option to create your own unique form of Alchemy that advances your specialty. But everything is due time.

• I: Personal Information

Name: James Quincent van Derros

Team Title: Creatures of Prey

Official Title: Taipan

Position: Asylum

----------- AMRO Stats -----------​

Specialty: Silencer

Code: XXXVIII (38)

Position of Tattoo: Underside of the right forearm, in the exact center spot between his elbow and his wrist.

Alch-Specs: Creeping Silence (silence falls over a specific target or over an area of effect, effectively deafening those effected without any later effects.)

Alchemic Style: Vocem (Primary); Motem (Secondary)

• II: Weapons:

Nearblades: Two vambraces with mechanical devices on the undersides that extend blades used in a similar fashion to the hidden blades of the AC universe.

Silence of Night: A black PSS modified to have a longer barrel and a reflex scope. It fires anti-alchemical bullets, but he carries regular ones, as well. He carries six magazines of the usual 6 bullets of the anti-alch ammo, and three mags of regulars.

Climbing Gear: Gloves and shoes that have the ability to latch on to almost any surface, which he uses to help him climb about. He doesn't know how exactly they work. Good thing for him, the tech department does.

• III: Appearance

Not the tallest of men, but neither the shortest at a solid 5'11", Taipan is a lanky, yet strong individual. Unable to gain much muscle mass (or fat) due to his genetics, Taipan possesses just the right amount to be able to do what he does, not much more, no less. His shortish, dark brown hair is styled to stay out of his way, and well accompanied by blue-greenish eyes, which he has had modified to have slitted pupils for better vision at night. His ears have been surgically modified to be elfishly pointy for cosmetic reasons, and his smile is pronounced by unusually long canine teeth, a perfect match for his preference of meat for sustenance and his predatory nature.

He has a slightly more urban style, fit for blending in with crowds and moving quickly. Wearing loose-legged dark grey jeans for excellent mobility, and a darker grey zip-up jacket with a beaked hood, it can be hard to spot him in a large crowd unless you look very carefully and specifically for him. His shoes are matched to his preferred style of movement on foot, a modified form of parkour, with soft-rubbered soles, good grip (excluding the climbing devices) that extend to come just over the tips of the toes.

• IV: Personality

Quite simply, the open psychopath. He is naturally sadistic, and more than happy to not only share his desires to kill people and eat them with close friends, but partake of some "long pig" whenever he gets the chance. He knows when to tone it down, though, no point in scaring newbies or risking being reported and getting locked up. He can be funny, witty, sarcastic, or charming, depending on what he wants you to perceive him as. More often than not, though, he's the crazy, casual one with no regards to useless things like "formality" and "honor". He has a deep belief that those who lack the ability to kill are the ones who are truly weak, and everything is prey to the strongest. He can be a big nerd sometimes and fan-boys about certain things, especially pertaining to anything Star Wars, LoTR, or assassin/thief related.

• V:History

Raised in an environment not the best for a child, his life growing up was a difficult one. A rare twist with an abusive, drunkard mother and a quiet, submissive father, James was raised to be a Shadow Child, taught from a young age to stay quiet and out of sight, often to avoid invoking his mother's wrath. He didn't get eat much, and soon began stealing things for food or to sell so he could buy things the family needed. The more he stole, the more he realized he enjoyed it, and continued to steal. He rapidly became an expert at evading the law, developing his own style of parkour to help him traverse the tight urban passageways and dense crowds. Getting bullied at school for not only this but for being an introvert, James became more introverted and exceptional at hiding weapons such as small knives on his person. His father always taught him to "Always have a weapon in reach, James. You never know when you'll need it." Young James took this to heart and soon was almost never found without at least one blade or weaponized regular object on his person.

At about 12, James's only friend from school, a boy named Charlie, was living with James in his private, self-made room under his family's house to escape his own, more abusive family. One day, after overhearing his mother beating his father once again, James conspired with Charlie to kill his mother and end the terror. That night, as his mother went to bed, James crept into her room through the open window, charlie quickly behind him. They stabbed the woman multiple times in the chest and neck, and James, becoming overcome with bloodlust, used his teeth to rip her throat out. AMRO soon took the two away to be trained, as it would turn out James's mother was an alchemist by blood, and thus so was he.

• VI: Other:

+Taipan is a kleptomaniac, often stealing things for the sheer enjoyment of fooling people and taking their things.
      +He often talks to himself, ranting or escaping into some fantasy world or another.
      +Wary of women, he was very glad to have not been assigned one.
      +Very much respects predators found in nature, with special attention being given to snakes and big cats.

• VII: Personal Information

Name: Charlie Faudbachle (pronounced fod-bahkle)

Team Title: Creatures of Prey

Official Title: Falcon

Position: Asylum
      ----------- AMRO Stats -----------​

Specialty: Silencer

Code: LIX (59)

Position of Tattoo: Outside of the left calf.

Alch-Specs: Raptor Eyes (up to 20x zoom and reaction time that makes things seem to slow down for him, though they actually don't. Raptor Eyes can also be transferred to other people within an area to mess with their vision, making things seem too far away or too close up, or even fluctuating between the two.)

Alchemic Style: Sigillum (Primary); Vocum (Secondary)

• VIII: Weapons:

Wings: Two small, four-bullet pistols. He keeps them in small holsters on either side of his torso, ready to be drawn to deal with anyone who would try to sneak up on him or got too close to use Talon on. He carries 48 anti-alchemic bullets, kept of quick loaders like this, but four bullets in a square instead of six in a circle, totaling to six reloads for each gun.

Talon: A lightweight, semi-automatic breakdown sniper rifle with a 7 bullet magazine and a bi-pod for stability. Loaded usually with anti-alchemic bullets, but he carries regulars, as well. The whole thing is kept in what looks like a regular briefcase. He carries five magazines of anti-alch bullets, as well as two mags of regular bullets.

Feathers: Throwing knives designed to look like a bird's feathers, thrown with deadly accuracy and precision. Always aim for the legs. And arms. And hands. And feet.

• IX: Appearence

The average height, weight, and build for a man his age who regularly visits the gym for health and fitness. He is the more formal of the two, a business man with a cold glint in his eye. Black, slicked back hair and eyes just as dark, he looks more like a raven than a falcon. His ties range colors depending on situations, but he usually sticks to brown. His shoes are specially modified, classy-looking but durable and comfortable.

• X: Personality

Cold and calculating, Falcon is usually distanced from other people by his absolute air of professionalism. He is both the perfect compliment and polar opposite of Taipan, part of why they work well together. He almost never lets people close, keeping them as just partners in business, and the only expletives he ever uses are in frustration and quietly to himself.

• XI: History

Born into an abusive family, Charlie moved into James' room he dug and built under the house when he was 12, about one year of the two being friends, to escape his life. The two felt each other to be brothers, close but different. It was the same year that he moved in with James that he helped kill James' mother while she slept. Soon after the murder, AMRO came for James, and the boy vouched for Charles' assistance. The "recruiters" took the pair away together, and soon inducted them into the academy. After they had both graduated, they were paired together.

• XII: Other

+Falcon loves birds of prey. Their speed, their hearing, their sight, and their deadliness. All things Admired by the man.
      +Falcon's first pet was a brave little cardinal named Reggie. Reggie got eaten by a large dog.
      +Falcon doesn't like dogs.

Last edited:
Alrighty. ^^

Hm. I wonder, though, if James is starting to go crazy, wouldn't he be terminated by now? Or is his sanity still within the "acceptable" range?

After Ryver sent me a message last Saturday, I have been contemplating on the matter of whether or not I wish to involve myself with another tale of madness. Due to my lack of time in the past week and personal duties that I had to attend to, I could not properly concentrate on the system of this role-play, thus I can not present a character sheet at the moment. However, I wish to express my interest and state that, regardless of whether or not I am accepted, I will be keeping and eye on this story.

In the future, I will most likely have many questions regarding the role-play's mechanism, but for now I desire to ask three simple questions from the top of my head:

1. What shall the required posting rate be for this role-play?
It is highly unlikely that I will be able to post every day or every two days. Perhaps twice a week would be possible, yet I give no promises, for the future is always quite vague.

2. How different are the historical events of the role-play's timeline?
Albeit A.M.R.O. and alchemy have been kept secret or are a mere urban legend in some parts of the world, no doubt they have somehow contributed, willingly or unwillingly, consciously or unconsciously, to the events in history. Perhaps, some wars occurred or did not occur, due to their existence?

3. Is it truly obligatory to create a pair of characters?
Despite still being fresh to this story's concept, I already have an idea for a character. However, I would prefer to pair up with another user, rather than simply create a counterpart. While rule number 4 still stands, I simply wish to inquire it. This question is directly linked to the first. If given enough time, I suppose I will be capable of handing a duo, but if the pace is fast, there is the possibility of me falling behind.

Nice characters Thomas, I specifically loved your Alchemic specialties and how realistic yet efficient their purpose is. Though how about I give you an idea that would make the two alchemy work in tandem. How about make an addition to "Raptor Eyes" to also influence the sight of people other than you. For example make things look really far or too close. This combined with "Creeping Silence" would work nicely.

Also it is not uncommon to find psychopaths, sociopaths in A.M.R.O. The fact is Asylums tend to use alchemy and the toll does hit them, gradually their sanity fades. However A.M.R.O always keeps tabs and if the threat of going insane is eminent, they will silence the target.

This is one of the reasons I liked your characters Shy, they didn't come across as Psychopaths but Asylums who believe in a duty. They portray another side to what an Asylum is.

@Headphone: Thanks for showing interest mate, and to answer yours questions:

1) The posting requirement is once post per three days. This however can be altered based on the significance of your characters to the plot line. In certain situations a post is necessary in order to move a plot along in which case the post requirement may change accordingly.

2)Historical events will remain the same. To put it simply the history happened as the way humans remember it. Certain aspects of history will be hidden where as certain aspects may be completely forgotten. Though these changes will be explained as we go, for now history happened the way we remember with certain differences. For example it is well known that both the World Wars had alchemic influence.

3) And yes it is necessary to create two characters. Also I wish to avoid a partnership with users. Say one user becomes unresponsive, not only his but your character will stagnate as well. Plus creating two characters allows for greater character mechanics, character building and interaction especially in a setting such as Chrono Asylum.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Vonz Haha, Bits probably only uses her alchemy if she absolutely needs to...and encourages her brother to be sparing in his use!

For future reference, I am willing to create extra characters if someone absolutely doesn't want to make two. I am a dedicated rper and barring death or a total inability to keep up (which shouldn't happen with an every-three-days time frame) I doubt I'll leave the rp. I have other ideas for alchemy that I'd love to use, like a force user (more akin to wind than gravity, as it's pushing, not pulling), or something where the effects are more subtle, like, Iunno, something that could stop body systems? Stopping a heart is a surprisingly small thing, but the effect is huge! I got that last one from a book I read a long time ago. I think the title was Elfbane or something like that.

@Vonz Thanks for the input, I'm glad you liked them! ^^ And that's definitely a change I'm willing to incorporate. Now, not only will they be deaf, but they won't be able to see straight, either!

Reactions: Fox of Hearts
@Thomas McTavish I am glad you are very open to changes. :D We really appreciate it. <3

@shylarah :P Those abilities sound cool, but I am afraid I have to back Xodus on this decision. I don't want two players to share a team because it can get complicated in the future for various reasons.

@Headphones are you still up for the challenge? :) I promise it will get easier overtime. Controlling two chars will give you more things to control on the battlefield which is where the fun is.

Alright people!! The rp will start today >=D

Be prepared to go insane!

Oh dear I suppose I should get to writing down my characters P:

I am finishing up my second character here in a bit but I wanted to make sure to PM you my CS to make sure that the idea I am going for would be okay with you so expect something in a bit Vonz.

@Vonz I need to know what AMRO proceedure is when fighting a rogue alchemist in a heavily populated area, since they're not supposed to make it known that they have alchemy, and not supposed to let outsiders see their weapons. I want to post for my two, but I'm not sure if it's okay to pull out a gun and start shooting. ^.^;;