Chronicles of Sunken Refuge (Lithel Aelfwine x SilentxChaos)

Aelita nodded. Her eyes were trained on the small figure that was the dragon-which, from here, could have been a hawk if not for the enlarged wingspan- and the smoke.

"Gylam-"

"I'm your quartermaster, not your bloody errand-child," the elf snapped as he reappeared again. He was on her other side this time, farther way from Lara though certainly not out of her reach. He glared at her as if daring her to say something else about his magic.

"And yet you act like my bodyguard as well," Aelita responded drily. "Now stop glaring at our allies and get me Foudin."

Gylamion narrowed his eyes but nodded curtly, storming off.

Aelita ignored his attitude and turned to Lara. "You have been generous with the chink, so I suppose it is only right I return the favor," she paused, not elaborating further, and instead asked, "What is your counter-strategy against the dark elves?"

Could you stop holding magick at my home!? Lara commanded more than asked with disgust. Clearly, she didn't like to be out of control and magick wasn't her strong focus, so it was unnerving for her.
There's no need to. We're even. Lara answered, not flinching. THey could take us because they had powerful magick and a dragon. Without them, they're worthless, so we take that from them. We need to find a way to neutralize or slay the dragon and to find the sorcerers and kill or neutralize them. Once that's done, we round them up, strip them from all they think of worth and we kill them all. If we have the numbers when everything's ready, we attack their lair and erradicate them all. What do you think?

"I think you're going to have to get used to magick," Aelita said wryly. She glanced at Lara and decided to let that matter drop, for the time being. Instead she folded her arms and nodded towards the smoke.

"You're right, I'd imagine they are making furnaces. That can only mean one thing: they are entrenching," she took the spyglass back from Lara and looked out to the horizon, speaking as she surveyed the land again, "They are doing the exact thing you are doing now, except better. They have the superior force, more magick to speed the process, and a dragon that at this very moment is more of a warning symbol than an actual threat. It's presence is meant to deter you from getting any closer. My advice?"

Aelita collapsed the glass and stared at Lara. "Send an envoy back to the Fae Court. The people may not help you, but their libraries may. Talk to Ambassador Sylvienne; she will get your envoy the access he or she requires. That's the only place I can think of with information on dragons...the only thing I can tell is that one is young, but the books might help you defeat it. As for as the dark elf forces..."

Drumming her fingers, Aelita remained quiet for a moment, thinking on her response. "I believe the actions you decide on today, now, will determine the outcome of any and all major battles to come. You'll need to resort to guerrilla tactics to harass them in anyway possible. Disrupt their supply chains, poison their water, make it so they go days without sleep-- I honestly don't care as long you ensure that their position weakens. If you let them become more entrenched then they already are, then I'm afraid you've already lost many battles to come."

She looked up at the giantess, her mouth set in a hard line, yet her eyes taking on a surreal green quality. She spoke plainly as she saw the situation laid before her, with cold subjectivity. But her eyes gleamed and her fingers grazed the hilt of her sword and as she swept her gaze again towards the distant horizon, one could still see the ideas clicking in her mind like clockwork, all of her attention narrowed down to this single problem- a puzzle, really.

We knew it was young, but you're right. Some info on the beast could make the difference. Lara nodded in agreement. As she spoke, Lara sat on the edge looking over the bay. I don't know what else we could do. We can ambush them, we don't let the boats get out of the island... but they retain their magick and we can't hide.
We have tried to break out fires... but the dragon is some kind of... i don't know. It ATE the fire, sipped it like water and looked at our arsionists. Desireful.
Lara remembered the reports and looked down over her shoulder. That kind of monster is what we are facing. Our druids could awaken the volcano's spirit, but... they could kill it, and the fire giants with it. Lara explained. Any other ideas?

Far to the east, the sky rumbled. Aelita walked to the other side and saw blackness lining the horizon. She gritted her teeth and collapsed the spyglass. "I suggest finding Regald if you want anymore advise. He served under my father when we were at war with the human refugees and is versed with subterfuge and sabotage. However, I'm only giving two hours before departure. We've wasted enough time with the storm coming..."

Aelita paused at the top of the stone steps just as Gylamion re-appeared with Foudin. He looked at her and Lara, frowning. She sighed and looked at Lara. "Are you sure you won't consider my favor to you? Foudin is a scyer. Used to be one of the best in fact. He could potentially give you eyes around the dark elves' encampment providing they also have no scyer. He is...skilled, at worming around protective spells."

We can be ready in half, and talk on the ship. She nodded, ready to go and prepare her departure. Upon the appearence of the elf, she simply sighted, more so by the words of the captain about the scryer.
I would accept his help with this matter as a sign of help and colaboration between allies, but no as a personal favor. Having said that, she turned to the man. He looked frailer than he probably was, and Lara asked herself where would mages store so much energy. You will do that then, and help on the planification of an attack here, with the other kings. Could you help us communicate with the main land?

His lips trembled faintly as he swallowed. It was plain it hurt to speak. "Y-yes but my place, Lady Green, is on the Zephyr."

"You won't be staying, Foudin," Aelita said. He glanced at her dubiously. She gave him a smile and touched his arm, then did something odd. She lifted her right hand and made a series of gestures: she made a fist with her thumb sticking out and twisted it, then opened the palm and spread her fingers, moved them together, then made another fist and placed it on her chest. Foudin watched and grinned. The worry was gone and his shoulders straightened. He touched his three middle fingers to his lips and pressed them to his chest. His captain nodded.

"Foudin and Regald will help you formulate the starts of a strategy in the hours before we sail," Aelita returned her attention to Lara, "After that Foudin can continue communicating with your people on a select schedule. He is old and the farther we go from Sour Rock, the harder it'll be on him. I suggest finding someone else once we reached the Refuge we can employ part-time. Trustworthy, of course."

Gylamion leaned down and whispered into her ear. She waved him off. "If you excuse me, milady, I must determine where the chonk will stay on my ship."

Aelita bowed from the hip with her hands outstretched towards Lara. It was a traditional sign of respect between an underling and royalty, or someone deserving of high respect, amongst the elven people. After a brief glare from his captain, Gylamion replicated her with stiff disapproval. They left just as Regald bounded up the steps, breathing harshly and supporting himself by hands on his knees. "Th-those are some big narakine (fucking) steps."

Lara looked this desplay and felt uneasy, a little ashamed of her own ignorance, but remembered that temperance was a trait she had to cultivate. All this secrecy among allies made her unconfortable nonetheless, but she endured for the sake of her people.
We'll do. We set sail with the tide. She said before returning the courtsey. I advise you to ride the Chonk. You'll go down quicker: There's no mount quicker in land of sea than those beasts. She said as they left.

Once alone with her kings and most influencial vassals, she met at the top of the tower.
We need WeedBeard's expertice. I need you to go to the court and use their library to find a weaknes on the dragon, and on their magick. We can't ignore them for any longer: Magick has to be learnt and quickly. You'll take your most skilled apprentices to learn at the elven capitol. She ordered the older sage they got. What happens then? Magick requires a lifetime of work and dedication to master He said, reluctant. You'll have 2 months. They are entrenching, and we need to stop them least we go back to a wateland on our shields. She sentenced.

As this went on, Potapu raised his voice, his imposive but usually pasive presence opressing everyone's chests We can't trust the elves. Least of all the Pirates. What will be our orders if everything falls down? The feeling of dread of all present was manifest in their eyes, but Lara's voice, so sure and lordly eased a little the atmosphere, at least until everyone understood the meaning of her words. If Everything seems lost, return to the Crystal Grove, set the Blood Pulse and pray to Arautator and Othala for forgiveness. Such is my order.
Although many would have liked to discent, everyone understood that it was the right call, even if a dire one. That same afternoon Lara set sail, and that night there was no sleep for any of her vassals, only the reminder of impeding disaster.

2 days later, Morning
En Route to Sunken Refuge

The storm caught up to them three hours after setting sail. It started as droplets that turned into a torrent without warning. They lit oil lamps on the deck, only for them to be snuffed out, and so lightning was their only source of light. The worst was the wind. It was wild, unnatural in strength, tossing loose crates aside and knocking an unwitting sailor to his knees. Despite the conditions, the ship did not pitch as it should in a storm of this size. It did not take on water. Those who kept wary eyes later reported to any open ear that they witnessed waves- which should have, by government of sea and storm, crashed onto their deck and capsized the Zephyr- altering their law-bidden course to avoid the ship entirely.

Naturally, those who listened dismissed such a sighting as a trick of the mind. The crew were exhausted by the time they retreated to the galley and locked the hatches. Aelita had ordered the sails to be left unfurled for as long as possible, to gain as much distance as possible or, improbably, outrun the storm. They were drenched to the bone before she let them climb the masts to bring in the canvases. Once that was accomplished, with cargo secured and the rigging checked, she ordered them into the lower decks till the storm passed.

They waited, for over half a day.

Regald exited the captain's cabin, wincing as Gylamion's and Aelita's voices raised behind:

"Last I checked, our captain was not so foolhardy to fight a storm. She neither recklessly risked herself in a mission barely begun."

"I do not answer to you, Gylamion vak--"

He shut the door, before it reached the ears of the crew. Foudin glanced at him from the ship's wheel but the rest were hustling their duties with high spirits. After nearly a full day of being battered by the elements and crammed together in a small space, the feel of the sun was like a good-morning kiss from your mother as a babe, and the gentle wind that filled their sails was her hold. The ship moved at a slow and steady pace, still on course despite the storm. Regald smiled (if forced). He wandered the deck, taking time to acknowledge the crew's salutations, addressing concerns and the ship's conditions. They all spoke similar lines; proclaiming disbelief at the lack of flooding in the cargo hold, no rigging lost, no masts cracked, no boards shocked loose from the force of water roaring down upon them. All issues that could have occurred in weather far gentler than what they'd experienced. Regald responded the same to each: a small tweak of the lips, murmur of consolation, mimicked surprise when surprise was revealed, a pause to think- to consider if, by any possibility, rationality could give reason to this phenomenon- all before concluding with a shrug or helpless raise of his hands and adding it all to luck. A pat on the shoulder, encouragement to resume duties, then he moved on. He meandered in such a way, across the ship until he found the person he was intrigued to talk to.

"
Lady Green," Regald approached Lara with a mocking twist around the nickname that quickly overtook her real name (only muttered discreetly, or unwittingly in her presence, but never to her face) yet greeted her in the way of her own people. "Taunaqi. I don't believe we've managed to be formally acquainted. I am Regald, boatsman of our proud Zephyr. I am the mouth of the crew, so to speak; I voice their concerns to our quartermaster who then takes it to our captain. Sometimes, I go to her directly, if I'm feeling particularly impish." He grinned. There was a fluidity to his speech and movements suggesting ease and friendliness. However, a wicked glimmer could be detected behind his eyes. "There are also times when I listen, and report nothing, as such is wished of me. My captain takes care of the crew's needs but I pay attention to their wants and frustrations. I hope you will keep this mind in our future interactions. As long you sail with us, you are one of us, and thus I apply the same to you.

"So, my Lady, how do you fare?"

I know Regald, and i will play my part. She answered about the "being one of them" part. Lara was outside, taking some air and sun and disgusted with the unneeded use of magic. They could not have fooled her: this ship was odd and enchanted to the point of her questioning weather it needed a crew or not.
It's a pleasure to meet you. She said after she realized this was some sort of mockery of a formal encounter. I fare well given the circumstances, but the sorrow of my people is a torn in my side. Was there anything you wanted to discuss in particular?

He nodded in acknowledgement to her pain, and looked out to the sea. "Not particularly."

A call for hands to trim the sails rang from the crew's nest. Regard automatically turned to apply, then paused. He glanced back at Lara. "Mind helping?

"In truth, I wanted to know what you like to discuss. You must have questions; I know I would, in your position."

Regald talked as they walked closer to the stern of the ship, to the walking net that was attached from deck to the crew's nest. Already three other elves scaled the net with practiced grace; five others following suit on the ship's port side. Regald grabbed hold of the netting and swung around- his body momentarily suspended above the foaming blue water- and climbed part way before looking down at Lara. "Well?"

Lara turned to the sails as the elf talked to her: the chance to help and do things kept her head clear. It was in the moments of idleness that she felt the full weight of her mind and her emotions.
She helped with the sails in silence, as she thought on the elf's questions There's obviously something you want me to tell you, since i've always kept for myself. So you'll have to ask me, because i'm not interested on talking much. She really wasn´t feeling the need to talk, much less to fraternize with a guy she had barely met... but at the same time, she wanted to know what the elf was thinking

"Alright then," Regald frowned. He began to realize talking to their guest would be similar to conversing with his captain during one of her moods...or worse, talking with Xianolyth.

The sails had been adjusted and tied off again; Regald shimmied along the supporting beam to a small platform that circled the mast. It was large enough for anyone to sit on, their legs dangling in open air above the deck. Below Regald could barely make out the hair colors of the crew. They were little more than ants skittering along and to his eye, he could track their busy process and know who was assuming what position and what task they were in the middle. Right now, the activity was low, and he imagined the cook below calling for first shift's break. He carefully transferred himself on the mast's platform and scotched over for Lara to seat next to him. "You know, this may be the only time I won't have to hurt my neck looking up at you," he smirked at her still on the beam.

If you got nothing to say, then i won't be bothering your cervicals no more. She said, getting ready to leave. THis was the last moment before leaving for sure, her patience and interest decreasing rapidly.

Regald raised a hand in apology. "Wait. I'm sorry."

He gestured for her to come to him, and waited to see if she would. His eyes swept around but his crewmates descended back down to the main deck. They were alone up in the sky. He spoke loud enough for Lara to hear him over the wind. "I understand why you agreed to come with us. Your people's lives hang in the balance. Everyone's does, I suppose, with a dragon at our root ends."

Regald made frequent pauses, as if collecting and organizing his thoughts around what he wanted to say, contrary to his approach with Lara. He smoothed his hair back from his face and turned to Lara. The sun high in the sky, it his eyes and turned them a golden-green. Whatever he danced around, there was an impression he rarely looked as serious and disquieted as he did now.

"I believe my captain will do whatever it takes to get the help you need but I hope you realize we aren't here on charity, and it's not like we believed before we departed," he added wryly, "We're here on our own mission as well. Something we left undone at Sunken Refuge a...long time ago. It's not my place to say what that is, but I thought you should be made aware." He moved closer to her, despite their isolation, and spoke more softly, "Whatever you think is going to happen on this mission you ought to forget. Aelita will do her part yet she is driven by another purpose, and I can't promise you that your priorities will come first once we get there. I wanted to warn you. But you also need to start thinking: why would a vessel filled with one of the most isolated magical species be so ready to help, when their race publicly denied assistance?"

Lara turned around and looked at him exhasperated and severe. This better wasn't another try to be nice and not saying something meaninful, because she was going to very angry. Luckily for him, although, it wasn't, and Lara loosened in the slightest seeing how he now considered his words precious instruments as they should have been from the beginning. I know she has ulterior motives. You should be aware of who i'll priorize if everything goes south: everything is expendable but my people's life, to me. That includes the whole crew and myself. She said with more determination than she really had. It's not personal, and i have already said so.

Why is it not as you belived before we departed? Lara asked though, worried that the terms of the agreement would have changed for Aelita's side. The last part, the reason why they helped, was the real question she'd been asking herself for quite a while. Now, she couldn't ignore this elephant-in-the-room kind of question. That's a great question. What do you need to do here that you are so desperate for comming here?

He gave her a wry smile. "I would not expect anything less from a people's leader. And I just said I couldn't tell you. If you want the answer to why we [the elves] are here, I suggest you go to Aelita herself. Although..." Again, there was hesitation. He started talking more to himself than Lara. "I had refrained from speaking of the matter back in the forest but the captain had hesitated...I assumed there was a good reason but she hasn't warned you..."

Regald rubbed his chin. He glanced back at Lara then sighed. "Alright, listen. You may have gathered this is not our first time at Sunken Refuge. We were actually here on a mission, years ago. Decades actually. We had to pretend we were a pirate crew and...well, we turned out to be quite good, after some blunders. Can you believe it from forest elves?" He threw a smirk but it quickly disappeared. His face darkened. "No one at the Refuge knows where we came from. None living at least. They can't know, do you understand milady? It'll ruins everything for both of us.

"Aelita has another name, one you've probably heard of before even if you weren't alive at the time. One you'll need to start using unless we are given away. She was--"

Regald stopped. He looked up, just as there was a loud bellow.

"LAND HO!"

The outlook in the crew's nest pointed to the east. Regald hastily got to his feet and looked in that direction. Sure enough, a jagged outline of civilization poked out of the ocean's horizon. He stood there for a moment, gripping one of the riggings. Suddenly he turned around and clapped Lara's shoulder. "If I tell you, promise me you will not react on it till we have safely landed?"

He leaned in and whispered in her ear a single name. Then he grinned, impishly, and left to rapidly descend to the deck where the crew was massing at the bow, eager to see their destination which many have never laid eyes on before, but a place that had touched all their lives.

You can't say something like that you know the motives you're here and then deny me of the details. It is your reason to be here to, so you are also owner of this reason. Even though.. you're telling much with this reticense. I confess myself intrigued. She said with a curious look on his face. When he started his tale, though, she laughed silently Yeah... My father's uncle is a pirate too. It seems that unlikely is the motto of any good pirate.

Lara's smirk disappeared once she heard the name, though. A name that casted dark glances and nervousness all over the Jewell's Sea. We fought you? He asked in surprise with arched brows, but the elf was already gone. Lara passed the rest of the journey in silence, not helping further and considering how she ended in an agreement with the devil.

Sunken Refuge was very much afloat, though, and bustling with activity. A good hundred ships sailed around the island, in an intrincated dance. The city itself covered the whole island and the crops grew in satelite islands, so most people had a boat. As they got close to anchor nobody stopped them, and they could see the master boatbuilders all around the shore.

The excited talk aboard Zephyr died the moment the hundred ships floating around Sunken Refuge came into view. The elves looked at each other worriedly...those who still looked like elves.

The crew had undergone a drastic change since they left Lara's home. Only one or two appeared like full-blooded elves; the rest could pass for half-breeds either by their pointy ears hidden, features changed with adornments or face paint, or some looking so different only magic could answer for the change. A couple even appeared human, round ears and all. The biggest asset however was the change of clothes: not one elf wore something from their homeland. They were dressed as proper pirates, with rough-spun linens, old leather, worn shoes, and the occasional basic jewelry or hair adornment.

Regald, who had been rejoined by a stony face Gylamion, made room for Lara at the railing as they approached the Refuge's shoreline. "I don't understand," he was saying to his counterpart, "what's with the display? Do you think they were attacked recently?"

"More like they're readying to attack," Gyl replied with a grim set of his mouth. "You see the ships to the east? Their bows aren't pointed outward as they would when defending the island from attack. They're facing broadside towards the island...as if preparing to attack it at a moment's notice."

"Those fools, they're inviting fear."

Everyone grew quiet as Aelita approached. She was barely recognizable from the pedigreed, ambassador's daughter Lara met at the Fae Court. Her hair was loose and wild, with many braids and semi-tamed by a bandanna and captain's hat. She wore a similar outfit as her crew, except she added a long leather coat, heavily worn, with a weapons belt on which hung a cutlass and pistol. Her ears were covered and she looked every bit a half-breed. The one difference were heavy bags under her eyes, giving her an exhausted and older appearance. Aelita folded her arms and glared at the shore. "I don't want anyone jumping to conclusions until we've discovered the story here, understood? Keep your arms close...and your tongues quiet."

She waited to see nods of agreement. "Alright then. Regald, raise the black. Gyl, prepare to dock and ready the gangplank. I want you to take three others and scope out ahead of us-- figure out what the story is and where the pirates lords are residing."

"Yes ma'am," he gave an elven salute and jumped into action. The crew followed step.

Once most had dispersed, Aelita sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose. She then noticed Lara and frowned. "Is something the matter, Taunaqi?"

The grave voice of the ginat boomed low, more felt in the chest than heard in the ears. The stark reception, and your true identity come as a sour drink. But this ship is truly impressive, i belive we can outrun this siege and get into the city. But what happened is... eerie. She said, still a little stunned. Lara moved around on the deck and tried to think why could the people start some kind of revolt. Had we introduced or said in advance that we would be comming? She asked Maybe we could pretend we are a mercenary ship and ask some questions around, no?