Chronicles of Sunken Refuge (Lithel Aelfwine x SilentxChaos)

Aelita looked back towards the ocean, thinking it over. She slowly nodded. "I can't make any promises...but I understand where you are coming from. Very well, I will talk--"

"You'll do no such thing!"

Aelita whipped around, knife at her fingertips, before she froze from throwing it as her father, General Xianolyth, and three other elvish guards who were coming from the treeline. Between them, Regald and Gylamion, wore faces of stone. Aelita sheathed her blade as her eyes went near-black. "We should have stuck to the trees," she muttered quietly.

Xianolyth glanced at her, then bowed to Lara, "Milday Taunaqi, please. Let me apologize on behalf of my daughter. She has come before you without the blessing of our people and whatever she has offered you, is beyond her control."

Aelita stiffened and gritted her teeth. "Father-"

"No. You have went behind our backs, Aelita!" he snapped, letting anger tint his words. He quickly regained his composure, returning to the giantess. "Lady Taunqai, if you wouldn't mind, I would like to speak to you in private. Warrior to warrior?" He stretched out an arm, gesturing for them to move away from the rest.

In fact, your daughter is commited to the counsel, wich is more than i have to say of anybody. She said, looking calmly as the man reached her.
I would mind, in fact. We are all warriors here, aren't we? She said, looking at the guards, obviously the veterans of a couple of hard battles. Of general Xianolyth's mettle there were little question and Lara knew she stood nothing compared to him: maybe her father could have fought him, but they would have been at odds. Most likely, if a battle between lord Taunaqui and the general had occured, they would have killed each other.

In any case, i don't think i'm interested in what you have to say. If i am interested, then we would be talking just the same we were talking with your daughter.

"These men won't do anything to you, milady," he said softly with a glance to his daughter. She glared back with black fury.

"Very well, I'll tell you here. In truth I wanted to save Aelita the embarrassment, but she's left me with no choice. I'm here to tell you you cannot accept her offer because you will be leading your people into more danger if you follow her. She has no interest in your people or in helping them."

"Liar-!" Aelita whirled towards him but was stopped as the captain guard wheeled his horse in front of hers.

Xianolyth continued without even blinking. "She's after one thing: a truth that she's obsessed with and searching for it has turned her against her own people," he looked at his daughter, and she only held his gaze for a moment before looking away, "She is only using you to get what she wants, Lara Taunaqi. And she was right in not promising help form our ambassador because she has nothing that make Sylvienne agree to these terms."

Pausing, the elven general walked closer to Lara, stopping at a respectful distance. "Tell me, what is your average lifespan?" he asked her suddenly. Aelita closed her eyes, knowing what was coming next.

I care not for your daughter but for my people, and i've made it clear that i know all of this. Even if it's not because of fear, duty or camaradery as it should be but out of a selfish interest, i'm not in the position to decline. I know there are very little people that would show any love for me even between my own people, but i have their best interests at heart.
As i said, i'll agree at her terms IF she can fulfill her part of the bargain. I hope you understand that.
Both men behind her gasped, surprised at the words of Lady Taunaqui. Bubak advanced, his temperament at it's limit Mylady, we served faithfully to your father! Direct our anger to the enemies in our midst! he asked, humbling himself.
There are no enemies in Sour Rock, only wounded, fearful and sad people. They'll come around. I have heard even you talk in such a way, but i'm not concerned. Both little kings looked at each other and called themselves to silence.

Lara smiled at the question, knowing that it was only a tease for what was to come. We'll enure longer than elves. She said. Everything afterwards was blurry.

"That's enough!" Aelita got off her horse and moved around to grab her father's arm. He turned, ready to rebuke her, but she cut in fast. "I don't need you using my youth to undermine me," Aelita said in their native tongue, so Lara wouldn't understand.

"If you think I'm going to let you leave to that place again, daughter, you are sadly mistaken," Xianolyth replied in kind. He shook off her hold. She stepped around him further and placed a hand on his chest.

"You can't stop me!" Aelita growled.

For a moment, father and daughter glared at each other, all eyes focused on them. Xianolyth watched as the pigment of her eyes turned a hard grey-green, prominent even in the dark. Her jaw was set in a way he disliked. It reminded him too much of her mother when she became a stone wall against any who spoke against her. Aelita was easily ten times worse, and he knew this time she was right. His shoulders visibly sank with a sigh as he reached out and a strand of hair back. "I just want you safe," he whispered in elven.

"I don't need your protection," Aelita whispered, "but I do need your help, Papa. Agree to help Lara when we return. If her threat is true, helping her will be saving our people."

"And what if she's wrong?"

Aelita glanced at Lara. "Then I'll take care of it."

Xianolyth mulled this over. Intense silence followed as everyone waited for his decision. Aelita reflected she had back him into a corner by affirming she would be leaving, with or without his good grace. The best option would be for him to give her permission on terms the rest of the elves could come to accept. But there would be a period of tumult as elves questioned why he did this. Her mother, Sylvienne, would have to appear in line with her husband to keep his reputation intact. The worst option, however, would wind up with Aelita exiled or in jail. She may live with exile but she had no intention of being locked behind bars for the next couple of centuries.

It suddenly occurred to her that she was tearing her family apart.

"Very well," Xianolyth said at last, in Common. He turned back to Lara and gave her his deepest bow, "Please forgive. My parental love clouded by better judgement. Aelita is my only child and, by your people's standards, barely in her mid-teens" (Aelita scowled at this, but decidedly remained mute), "However she is leaving, with or without my blessing. I'd rather her have it…and the only way to do that is by giving you what you want."

Straightening, Xianolyth habitually smoothed his robes while beckoning for the elvish captian guard to bring his horse over. "I will promise you my people, upon your return, as long as you promise me this: bring my daughter home. I'm tasking you with ending this mission of yours at Sunken Refuge things appear…too far gone," he glanced back at his daughter, noticing her face remaining tactfully stony. He sensed her boiling, but she was keeping herself in check at the sight of what she wanted coming to light. He had little down she would find a way to turn the leaves in her favor once she had left.
Shaking his head, he mounted his horse and trotted next to Lara. He pointedly ignored the other giants- either to show he had no fear of them, or that his deal was between him and Lara, and he would accept only her word. "Even if you return without any help from the Refuge, as long as it was to protect my daughter- and the rest of my people- safely I will still pledge our warriors to you. So…do we have an accord?" He stretched his hand out slow, almost reluctantly.

I agree. There will be no force on the islands or the sea that would be able to keep me from fullfilling my promise.
Your daughter grew to be quite the diplomat. Spite your desires, it seems.
She commented with a smile and took his hand.

The general signaled his men to follow him and left, not before he said a couple of last elven words to his daughter. Lara and the giants looked at them leave long past after the elf had lost him of sight. You did well. The dragon will destroy everything otherwise and, even if i lied, you couldn't "take care of" me. So that you know. She said, revealing her aknowledgment of elven. Her father had thaught her when the plan was for her to turn into a diplomat in the court, permanently. How much time had passed, and how much innocence lost? she thought as she continued to walk.
Then, we are losing time. What do we do now?

Aelita watched till her father disappeared. "Now, we set sail as soon as possible."

Do they even have a ship? She heard Regald's voice in her mind.

Regald, really. How do you imagine they got here from the bay? Gylamion's voice clipped.

They flew?

Aelita spat on the ground, signaling them to stop, but she suspected their silent bickering only moved to exclude her. She shook her head. "I'm giving us two days to gather necessary supplies. Any longer might provoke some…changes in opinion. You'll need preserved food and water, enough for at least a five day's journey," pausing, Aelita swept her eyes up and down the giants, "You'll need to leave your armor. Reinforced leather only; anything else will raise suspicion. You can keep your swords, however."

Regald chipped in. "No one has the money or skill to have the kind of equipment you carry on you now. If they don't assume you're a part of the court and attack you on sight, they won't trust someone dressed in fancy metal."

"Whatever you do bring, make sure it appears worn and used often," Aelita said.

"Same goes for your regular clothes. They need to be able to stand salt water as well," Gylamion added.

"If they've sailed before, they should know that much," Regald said.

Aelita raised her hand. They fell silent. "We don't mean disrespect. But from the sound of it, you and us have differing experiences when it comes to Sunken Refuge. When we go in, we can't look as we do now. We'll have to blend in as low merchants or new refugees."

"Wait," Regald clucked his horse to come up beside Aelita, "we aren't flying under the colors?"

Aelita looked up at him. "There's a time and a place, Regald. Don't interrupt me again."

He bowed in his saddle. "Aye, Captain."

"So, do we have an accord?" Aelita addressed Lara.

Worry not for us: we were ready to take the ship tonight, so as soon as you're able, so will we be. I'm the only armored one, and i won't leave it. Let them suspect, let them know of the strenght and proud of my people, even in exile. She said boldly. Giants were a people adaptated to the different parts of their island, but there were also Sea Giants, although they were far more feral than the other classes.

I must remind you that we are the ones that patrol the shores and islands, misters? That's the only reason our people scaped. Don't give us that crap. She said, tired of being chastised as a child. Once in the go for Sunken Refuge we'll disguise, but not before. I must make it look to my people that i have come back and are planning our defenses: we're going back to Sour Rock first of all. She said, turning to her companions There you too will stay and uphold the facade so i can go with Aelita.

Both men nodded, but it looked like they had no clue how to accomplish that. Actually, Lara was a very present ruler, taking strolls around the marketplaces, walking around different neighbourhoods and knowing the streets first hand: it was obvious people would start talking when she didn't show up.

If you have your supplies, let's go to the boat.

Aelita glanced at her compatriots. Neither of them expected to be traveling to Sour Rock first, but they kept their necessary items stored in a hidden cargo space beneath the hold. In case situations like this cropped up. Food will be lean, but we can make it, she assessed.

She spoke to Gylamion in their native tongue. "When can the rest of the crew be here?"

"Two hours after dawn. Regald contacted them the moment we saw the general's horse," he added at Aelita's raised eyebrows.

"Very well. I suppose you heard?" she turned back to Lara. "If you wish to return to your people quickly, we will catch up with you once the rest of my own arrive. There's also...one other thing."

For the first time, the elf hesitated, licking her lips before continuing, "This will be the first time most of my crew will be leaving their home for the long haul. Most have not been to Sunken Refuge. But we are sailing a ship very familiar, one supposedly captain by a crew of half-elves and exiles. Yo- we- can't let the truth slip once we leave Sour Rock. It could jeopardize those with me."

Behind her, Regald and Gylamion glanced at each other.

Last edited:
Then we go and use up the few hours in between to plan the other travel and get my things done. After that, we wait for your arrival, prepare everything there and within the hour of your arrival we set sail again. Lara places a massive hand on the elf's shoulder.
Don't worry, there's as much at stake there to you as there is for me. The giantess said, looking into the road. You do your thing. We'll set sail immediatly and wait for you in the dock at Sour Rock. She bid them goodbye, and then she and her vassals went to their ship. It was already waiting for the 2 days haul to Sour Rock since they spected as much from the elves and the council in general. Without looking back, the giants got into the boat and waited for it to depart.
My queen, are we going to really accept? Having her as a hostage to get support could be safer... Asked Potapu. More dangerous than anything. We got enough enemies and not enough people to hold Xianolyth off. He is as skilled as my father was.

Aelita stood at the helm of the Zephyr, along with her crew. A total of 27 elves who voluntarily left their families and the safety of the forest to follow her. Most were descendants or relatives of then men who went with her the first time and driven by the same need as herself. The rest were more or less outcasts; elves, for one reason or another, not entirely accepted by their own kin but weren't eligible for exile either. She was proud of them. They had not been like their predecessors, trained like a spy, honed into a sailor and thief by an expert, but they were passionate and dedicated—to her, as much as the cause. Even if their number was less than half of before, she was pleased to have them at her back. Presuming they could stomach what is to come.

They watched the horizon of Sour Rock approach. The sky over it was clotted with smoke plumes rising high from the raised ground. Aelita had never been this far west in Defiance Bay. It looked like an unforgiving place.

"Do you think the smoke is from the dragon attacks?" she heard someone whisper.

"Hard to say," his neighbor replied, "Some might be from camps the giants set up. They look too thin and close to shore to be interior damage."

A general hum buzzed through the crew. Despite their dedication, Aelita had heard the gossip. They had just as much a hard time believing the dark elves had a dragon as the Council. Seeing the smoke would be like a slap from reality. She wouldn't let the following fear and realization sink in.

"We need to prepare to anchor. All of you! Trim the sails, and get the long boats ready!" Aelita yelled at her men and they hopped to without hesitation. She turned to her navigator and helmsman, "Keep a steady course, Foudin."

"Yes ma'am," he answered with a lisp. He was the oldest elf on the ship, a century-shy of being a 1000 years old. His plated hair was silver and reached his waist, but the only other sign of his age were the wrinkles around his eyes and mouth beneath the ravage scarring. During a war long ago, he had been brutally attacked by a warg, pets of the orcs. It had claw the entirety of the right side of his face and part of his throat. It left his eye milky white, and destroyed his speech. If Aelita remembered, this happened almost 600 years ago. Since then, he's been shunned by elvish society.

He was also the most powerful scryer she'd ever met. For that, she secretly valued him more than most.

Aelita turned back to Sour Rock and peered through her eyeglass. She saw Lara Taunaqi's sails nearing the shore. They had caught up with the giants eight hours ago, making up more distance than she had expected. She smiled. It was good to be on open water again.

"When are you going to tell her?" Gylamion appeared beside her. He had already discarded his Court uniform for simple linen and worn leather. He wore an array of knives openly holstered on a thick belt and two long daggers at his side.

In comparison, Aelita had yet to remove her own uniforms, though she had taken off the unnecessary adornments and left them on the beach. She had thrown a long leather coat to protect the delicate outfit from the salt in the air and water, but she could feel it already fraying and itching. She absently scratched her arm as she addressed Gylamion. "Told who what?"

"Lady Taunaqi, about who she's really going to be sailing with. I could tell you were going to last night but you hesitated. Maybe Regald was too giddy at the prospect of returning to the Refuge to notice what went through your mind, but I don't need to be a telepath to know."

"Perhaps then you could stand benefitting from Regald's giddiness a little bit more?" Aelita remarked.

He folded his arms and stared down at her. "I'm worried of the outcome if the giantess finds out from someone other us."

Aelita sighed. "As far as I'm concerned, she won't need to know until we land at Sunken Refuge. Telling her now will only fracture what little trust we have. She's desperate enough to work with us, for the moment. Besides, I still haven't decided the best way to reintroduce ourselves to the Pirate Court."

Gyalmion opened his mouth, about to protest, but after a moment to thought better of it. He instead said, "I still can't believe she won't leave her fucking armor. Have you ever seen a fully armored giant wandering around Sunken Refuge?"

Aelita smiled. "I'm sure she won't be wearing it all the time. Now, shouldn't you be directing the crew, Quartermaster?"

Gyalmion smirked and gave her a lazy salute. She watched him begin directing the others, then looked back at Sour Rock. Lara's ship's sails were now visible to the naked eye but Aelita felt his irritation mirror her own. She had a feeling, no matter the mututal benefit this voyage promised, her and the Green Lady were going to have conflicting differences on many issues.

Sour Rock was a green island, the rock at their feet strong in every way except in the cracks where many a tree grew. Most of the trees were clearly introduced, but around the town the old natural trees remained.
The rock was as green as the water, and it had cracks from the center to the shore. Minig crews were working, opening the cracks to reveal the rich red soil beneath it, and masons used that rock for building a wall around the edges of the island. More than a home it was becoming a fortress, sturdy, poweful and green as the people within. Muscled soldiers were training in front of beach in an open space with swords and spears, drilling almost waist-high in the water.

Taller the the others, the wood-druids planted with love and care the little sapplings on the recently opened cracks, and performed rituals so that the trees would grow faster and bare more fruit. Fishing vessels the size of the individual giants were comming and going from the wooden dock, where many war vessels remained, unmanned, quiet, some of them in the middle of repairs by the sea carpenters, whose helpers and aprentices looked so young that were little taller than the elfs.

A powerful tower rised there, ruling over the whole island. It was made of the same rock as the island and with the marks of giant construction. Another mark appeared as they could scrutiny it's walls: claws. They have moved the structure from it's center a couple inches, twisting it on itself and breaking the mortar joining the blocks. From the top of it Lara was commanding his captains and preparing the island. It was boiling with activity, but even then the elves could notice something sad: there were no children, and only a few elders, most of them druids. Gloom was in the air.

As the Zephyr got close to the shore, Lara went to receive them, again fully armored, but this time without company.

They anchored several kilometers off-shore and took two long boats to the shore. Each held eight. The rest remained on the Zephyr, going over it with a fine comb. This was the first time the ship had been out to sea for this distance. Aelita wanted to assure it would hold for their long journey to come.

They reached the dock and tied off their boats. Aelita approached Lara with the wind blowing up around them from the sea. She looked back, her hair whirling and clinking. Since she had met the giantess last, she had changed her hair in style more often seen among sailors: she wore a large bandanna that kept her hair back, thin braids held by charms or wooden beads sporadically made in her straight locks. The shiny luster she had at the Court was gone, ruined by the heavy wind and water. It was more scraggly and rough. She pushed it back with a hand then greeted Lara.

"In danger of being crude, but how soon can you push off? I would like to get some distance before the storm hits," Aelita said.

Meanwhile, the rest of her crew made their way to the village, surveying the walls and trees and the people there. They stood on the fringe, feeling the oppression of what the giants had been through like a heavy gas that made it hard to breathe. Regald was the first to stir; he leaned in and whispered to a few and began splitting them off. Some went to the wall, others to where new trees were growing, and so forth. Very hesitantly, they offered their help.

Lara greeted as customs asked, but she seemed not pleased.
Too new a boat. You changed yours. Why? Sailors never liked to change their boat, and if she remembered so fondly the last one, it didn't add up. We can get out within the hour. Your boat has a place for me or should we use our boat. If you prefer, we could hold the storm to pass in the dock. There's a lot to organize when there's a storm.

Lara looked back to the town and signaled the tower. Come with me, i want to show you something. She said and went over to some port dockers. Get the load to the shore and prepare to bring it up.

"It's not new," Aelita replied, "it's been repaired. Extensively. I have confidence it is fine but...well, a captain worries, does she not?"

The elf followed the giant at a trot. For every one step Lara took, Aelita had to walk five, or run three. Back home she was the third fastest runner, the second best at long-distance, and she'd be lying to herself if she wasn't disconcerted that Lara would out do her in under a minute.

As they left, Aelita spared a glance as the dock workers did their lady's bid, surveying what she could of their cargo. "I prefer leaving as soon as possible, if it's all the same to you. I would rather be on the water when the storm comes, than trapped on shore with no way to leave. The sooner we get to Sunken Refuge, the sooner we can get you the help you need," she added.

Ok. Then your new ship. Load everything on that, take a rowboat. As she ordered the dockers, they left. Good boys those. Loyal too. commented the giantess as they pulled over to the tower. By the entrance, Potapu waited gripping the reins of a Chonk, clearly sweating and tired. Mylady. Lara nodded at him and gave the reins to the Aelita. We don't have much, but we got a lot of these bastards. Mean bite, can swimm and ride, and lighting reflexes. It's a good beast. We use them as hounds and are going to sell them to the court as mounts, but you deserve this.

To Lara, seeing how someone moved around a living beast as a good way to determine their worth. Also, it was true that Lara was grateful to have someone to help them. This kind of present was due. Bring him, and name it. There's even one more thing i want you to have. Lara said and got up the tower.

chase3.jpg

Reactions: SilentxChaos
Aelita slowly took the reins, eyeing the Chonk warily, and it her. "Your generosity is...much appreciated," she said. The Chonk bared its teeth and hissed; Aelita flicked its snout. It backed up, startled, looking faintly indignant, and she grinned impishly. I think I'll like this one.

You know I hate lizards, right?

Not now, Regald.

She heard Regald's disgruntled muttering leave her head. She turned back to Lara. "I appreciate this, but I hope you understand that there is no need. We are on a venture for mutual benefit and nothing more; our success will be the gift to the other."

After everything is said and done, this must look like a queen and the elven envoy went on a quest.That would put both of us in a good position, to bargain and i will need leverage to recover all that we have lost. That's why we must think in what we look like when doing whatever's necesary. Lara said as she lead the elven maiden up the tower.

The tower had been fashioned as a little stronghold, 6 levels of it rising to the sky and prepared to serve as a meagre keep, with living accomodations and all. At the fourth floor the scratches one could see from the outside proved to be grooves through which the air could pass. They moved through the tower getting to the zenit, and as they reached it, Lara seeked something in the horizon, and pointed out with a hard and cold look.
See for yourself She said, pointing at the distance to the irrefutable proof that the dragon was still on their homeland.

Aelita raised her eyebrows at Lara's foresight but gave simple curt nod as they made their way up the tower.

When Lara pointed, her mouth grew hard and her eyes dulled with a faint gray hue. "Gylamion, the spyglass," she held out her hand to empty air.

The pale-haired elf materialized immediately. There was no indication of his presence beforehand and his sudden appearance had not been prefaced with a shimmering of the air, slow fading to visibility most often followed by the deconstruction of invisibility spells, and only a skilled mage would have detected a brief murmur of disturbance, like the tiniest magical breeze rustling their senses that may or may not pass their notice. The only thing that seemed to change- besides his almost rude appearance into this particular spot of the universe- was that the temperature around him felt barely warmer than before.

His mouth a thin straight line, Gylamion handed Aelita the eyeglass. He seemed irked at having been summoned into the open, as if doing so would open himself to vulnerability, but he was too used to following her orders without hesitation. He stood stiffly behind her as she trained her eyes on the dragon.

Regald, do you see? Aelita asked.

Yes, he followed with an old elvish prayer, one calling on a god for protection of the future on which they all tread. A god the elves had cease worshiping a millennia ago.

Show the crew. By the time we leave this island, I want no doubts about the validity of our mission. Understood?

Of course.

She felt him withdrew, but at the same time expand. For the briefest moment, echos of echos floated through her thoughts, the hints of her crew seeing the dragon, and feeling their reaction. The hairs on the back of her neck stood on end. It unnerved her that she couldn't tell whether it was her own apprehension rising, or the byproduct of being a third-party to so many emotions affecting her subconscious.

Slowly, she lowered the glass, and shoved all unnecessary emotions aside. "What can you tell me of it, the dragon? What have they been doing since the first assault?"

In light of the aparition of the male elf, Lara unseathed her sword, as she was not at all used to magick. HMN! That was dangerous. I don't like arcane tricks. She said with a disgusted frown.

After the mage took off and Aelita finished looking the dragon, Lara asked her for the eyeglass and looked in the distance. When they came, it roared something... it was like warm water, but it reeked and it burned the skin to the bone. That crippled many men, and the elves came out of the sea, like if they had been hiding down there. From the beaches they came and jumped our walls, murderer my people. We fought back, and then the dragon spit again, this time over the soldiers, my father... Lara stopped a moment because her voice had faltered and she needed to get her composture back. She remembered how she felt so giddy at the smell of molten carcasses, how everything spinned around her and how she could only think on going back to her father.
Our elders faced the dragon. It was young, i think, since it never went too high... it's wings seemed too little to sustain it's weight so it flew short distances, although i don't know how it flew to the island. I think of magic, but i'm not a druid.
In any case, they fought it, and they even wounded it's belly, a short slash, but enough to make it squeal. It devoured them one by one, as a playful cat.

We swam and sailed here, because we already had a little fortification, this very tower. They waited for us until the night, and then fell upon us again. This time we could force them out, but the dragon made only a brief appearence. I hope it was because it has been wounded.

In any case, they have been quiet lately. Maybe they are all waiting for the dragon... but the smoke... i think they're making furnances.

Reactions: SilentxChaos