Christmas Cookies!!

P

PoetLore

I am a baking lunatic at this time of year. I make nut rolls, sugar cookies (The meticulously decorated kind...because I am crazy), chocolate crinkles with nonpareils on top, lady locks, Oreo balls, fudge, Russian teacakes and peanut butter blossoms. Sometimes I make others is someone requests them, which how the lady locks were added.

Do you have a family favorite? Have you already started baking and freezing for later? (If so I am seriously jealous).

Here's a picture of my FAVORITES!! Lady Locks are a pain to make but they are SOOOOOO worth it!

ladylocks-4.jpg

I don't have pictures, yet.... but I will when it gets closer to Christmas. I usually make rollo filled chocolate cookies, cranberry pistachio and white chocolate chip and I try to make something new every year. MIGHT try macaroons this year. hahaha.

Jello cookies! I usually make everyone in my family three dozen in a tin or Christmas parties. My kiddos love Strawberry banana ones. I only wish I could find the mixed drink Jello to make it with those. Strawberry daiquiri Jello cookies sound amazing to me.

jello-cookies-are-amazing.jpg

We generally just make gingerbread cookies and sugar cookies. o.o

@Scripturient We LOVE those Jello cookies! So much flavor and soo simple! Might have to add those, cool colors and they stay soft.

Yeah, they're pretty awesome. I found the recipe purely by accident and didn't think they'd be very good, but after the first batch my kids were hooked on them.

• Love
Reactions: PoetLore
SUGAR COOKIES. GINGERBREAD. CHOCOLATE CHIP. OATIES. BISCOTTIS.

I love cookies. Ultimately, I'd have to go with gingerbread for Christmas. They're classic.

• Love
I generally tend to bake sugar cookies, cinnamon rolls, hot fudge brownies(with ice cream on the side), gingerbread and chocolate chip cookies on Christmas eve and I'll always bake an extra batch to save some for Christmas morning to eat while we open presents. c:

I'm very tempted to try a few of these recipes, they all look really good!

My favorite cookies are oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, but I seem to be in the minority (in my family). I don't really celebrate holidays so I don't cook for them, but yesterday I made a homemade chocolate bar and that was delicious, so, I got that going for me, which is nice. xP

I bought oats a while back but I failed to get all the other ingredients for oatmeal cookies, so I guess that's not happening any time soon. Px Maybe one day, though.

Gingerbread cookies are of course a must.
When I celebrate Christmas with my mother, we bake a lot. Peppermint bark, gingerbread, white chocolate and dark chocolate (mixed) chip cookies, peanut butter cookies, biscotti (I make that one usually, double chocolate and delicious but not too sweet), and whatever else we feel like. We make tons give them away in bags like small Christmas presents.

I think my mum still makes baked goods with my sister's help but not as many, and I don't make nearly as much on my own either.

• Love
Besides sugar cookies, Raspberry Almond Thumbprint cookies have become my family's new favorite. When they're just out of the oven, they are divine! Warmed jam and soft cookies make for the best combination.

Raspberry and Almond Shortbread Thumbprints Recipe

• Love
It's labor intensive I warn you, but I will get it and type it up. No one wants to try to read the way that's scribbled in my notebook!

Lady Locks

3 1/2 Cups Flour
2 Sticks Butter (Frozen in one ounce slices)
8 Ounces Shortening (Frozen in small cubes)
1/4 Cup Sugar
Pinch of Salt
3/4 Cup COLD water
2 Egg Yolks
1 Tablespoon Vanilla

1) Whisk dry ingredients together and then transfer half to a second bowl. Add the frozen butter to one bowl using a pastry blender, blending until a coarse meal if formed. So the same with the frozen shortening in the second bowl.

2) Mix these two meals together into one large bowl and blend to combine with the pastry blender. Make a well in the center and add the water, egg yolks and vanilla. Stir until combined and then use a heavy rubber spatula and fold until a dough forms, about 12 to 15 turns.

3) Divide into three discs about in inch thick and about five inches across. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least two hours.

4) Only remove one disc at a time from refrigerator as you work. Using a 50/50 mixture of sugar and flour coat a work surface and then roll out dough to a 12x14 inch rectangle 1/8 inch thick. (Be careful here the thickness is important) Using a pizza cutter, slice 1 inch strips. (Use the rolling pin as a guide for straight lines)

5) Wrap the strips of dough over molds overlapping slightly as you roll up the mold, like you would an ace bandage. (I don't have molds so I use clothes pins *the kind without springs in them* which I wrap in aluminum foil and spray with Pam cooking spray so they will release. Works just as well and is FAR cheaper. Just be sure to leave a little handle made of the foil to grab onto so you can get the shells off the clothespins.)

6) Lay the shells on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. The shells should look dry but NOT brown.

7) Rest on molds for one minute and then remove. *note: be quick when removing them as they will break if you wait too long. Allow the shells to cool completely.

Filling

3 Sticks Butter (Margarine will NOT work here), very soft
2 Cups Confectioners Sugar, sifted
2 Tablespoons Vanilla

1) Whip the butter until light and fluffy and almost white in color. Be patient this takes time.

2) Mix in Confectioners sugar and vanilla on low speed to incorporate and then whip untilo light creamy white color and stiffly fluffy.

3) Fill a pastry bag and fill shells but not to overflowing.

4) Sprinkle Sifted Confectioners sugar over filled shells. Keep in airtight container and separate rows with wax paper.

NOTE: These freeze well.

Lady Locks

3 1/2 Cups Flour
2 Sticks Butter (Frozen in one ounce slices)
8 Ounces Shortening (Frozen in small cubes)
1/4 Cup Sugar
Pinch of Salt
3/4 Cup COLD water
2 Egg Yolks
1 Tablespoon Vanilla

1) Whisk dry ingredients together and then transfer half to a second bowl. Add the frozen butter to one bowl using a pastry blender, blending until a coarse meal if formed. So the same with the frozen shortening in the second bowl.

2) Mix these two meals together into one large bowl and blend to combine with the pastry blender. Make a well in the center and add the water, egg yolks and vanilla. Stir until combined and then use a heavy rubber spatula and fold until a dough forms, about 12 to 15 turns.

3) Divide into three discs about in inch thick and about five inches across. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least two hours.

4) Only remove one disc at a time from refrigerator as you work. Using a 50/50 mixture of sugar and flour coat a work surface and then roll out dough to a 12x14 inch rectangle 1/8 inch thick. (Be careful here the thickness is important) Using a pizza cutter, slice 1 inch strips. (Use the rolling pin as a guide for straight lines)

5) Wrap the strips of dough over molds overlapping slightly as you roll up the mold, like you would an ace bandage. (I don't have molds so I use clothes pins *the kind without springs in them* which I wrap in aluminum foil and spray with Pam cooking spray so they will release. Works just as well and is FAR cheaper. Just be sure to leave a little handle made of the foil to grab onto so you can get the shells off the clothespins.)

6) Lay the shells on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. The shells should look dry but NOT brown.

7) Rest on molds for one minute and then remove. *note: be quick when removing them as they will break if you wait too long. Allow the shells to cool completely.

Filling

3 Sticks Butter (Margarine will NOT work here), very soft
2 Cups Confectioners Sugar, sifted
2 Tablespoons Vanilla

1) Whip the butter until light and fluffy and almost white in color. Be patient this takes time.

2) Mix in Confectioners sugar and vanilla on low speed to incorporate and then whip untilo light creamy white color and stiffly fluffy.

3) Fill a pastry bag and fill shells but not to overflowing.

4) Sprinkle Sifted Confectioners sugar over filled shells. Keep in airtight container and separate rows with wax paper.

NOTE: These freeze well.