Children's TV Shows

Discussion in 'THREAD ARCHIVES' started by Peregrine, Jan 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I haven't watched TV in many years. It has been even longer since I have watched kids TV. Which means, if you asked me, I'd have almost no clue what kids watch these days. Up until now, that has never really been an issue.

However, I am going to be spending a couple days babysitting my little cousin, and from everything I've heard she enjoys watching TV. I'd like to be a somewhat cool babysitter, and have something of an idea what she is talking about if she mentions one of them.

The TV shows I remember were shows like Arthur, Sesame Street, Clifford the Big Red Dog, and Cyberchase. I'm almost certain none of those are things anymore, except maybe Sesame Street.

So, what is cool nowadays? What do young girls, or boys for that matter, watch?
  2. Most kids I know don't watch TV, but play iPad Kid's apps. D:

But I know there's Bubble Guppies and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.

I got my sister addicted to The Electric Company which helps kids learn how to read initially difficult words like gymnasium by teaching them normal sounds of letters and then showing how other letters in the word change them. It's usually on PBS (if you're in America, that is) around afternoon. Arthur's still on too! If you've got satellite, you might find Kipper. I LOVEEEE KIPPER.
    • Thank Thank x 1
  3. Just turn on Cartoon net work, Nick or Disney and she will be happy.
  4. How old is your little cousin?
  5. @Levusti Thank you for the shows. It is actually somewhat encouraging to hear that Arthur is still on, if a little surprising. Is the animation still as bad as it was eight years ago?

@Josie Monique She's eight, but also one very smart cookie. I don't know if that would make any difference in what she might watch.
  6. Do you have boomerang there, I prefer older cartoons then what they go out now. Uncle grandpa is the most stupidest thing i ever seen. The only good thing Cartoonnetwork has is adventure time and regular show and that might be a little violent, Maybe she would like Sam and Kat on Nick, Its no cartoon but I'm sure she would like it. Remember there is always spongebob, Never fails.
  7. One of my best friends used to take care of her grandchildren(6, 9, and 11). The 6 year old girl likes watching the shows Jessie and Good Luck Charlie on the Disney Channel. In the mornings she enjoys watching the Mickey Mouse Club House or whatever comes on the Disney Channel. The 9 year is fond of watching shows on Cartoon Network like Adventure Time, the Regular Show, and The Amazing World of Gumball. The 11 year old boy on the other hand is quite smart and enjoys watching shows on Animal Planet and the Discovery and history channel but he will jump in and watch Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, and Disney shows with his younger brother and sister. He really likes My Babysiter's a Vampie on Disney, Teen Wolf on MTV and I think he watches Vampire Diaries. But I think she might be too young for that haha.
    • Thank Thank x 1
  8. @Kid Jesus I do not believe that she has Boomerang, but if she does it will probably come up in conversation. I have heard of both Adventure Time (in very, very vague details), and I get the concept of Spongebob, so at least I don't have my head in the sand when those are brought up.

@Josie Monique I might have to peruse the Disney Channel at some point, because that seems to be coming up a lot. Thank god for Wikipedia. She is a little young for shows like Teen Wolf and The Vampire Diaries, at least I hope she is. Sometimes I consider myself too young for those shows. Or perhaps way, way too old. One of the two. But I think I'll have to dig a bit further into the Cartoon Network series. Those look like something I could partially succeed in being interested in.
  9. I still enjoy watching Spongebob. O_O
    I lived with too many kids... hahaha
    I stopped enjoying Cartoon Network shows after they changed. I remember Ed, Edd & Eddy, The Grim Adventures of Bill and Mandy, and Courage the cowardly dog being some of my favorites.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. You might want to forgo Cartoon Network, in my opinion. :/ It's kinda crude and silly in terms of humor.

Cartoon Network has toilet humor, Disney has terrible puns, and Nickelodeon has a lot of slapstick humor.

I actually enjoy watching Nickelodeon now that I'm older.

But I still watch educational kids shows on PBS. >.<
  11. I really like TMNT, and the one on Nickelodeon in really awesome.
  12. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic maybe? That still counts as a kids show.

Why don't you just ask her what she watches or wants to watch?
  13. @Levusti I will certainly take that into consideration. I have no real experience with kids TV anymore. It is almost kind of sad that it doesn't seem like there are very many "good" shows out there anymore. Then again, I'm not sure if what I thought was good as a child really was good. I do really like animated kids movies these days, but now I'm rambling...

@T'Shara But that would be far too easy! Honestly, though, it is somewhat intriguing to me, and I would have no idea how to go about figuring out for myself, since I don't think our TV is actually connected to TV... So I shall simply leech off of all your brains instead.

I do appreciate the effort that everyone's gone to to bring me some lists. I guess I'll find out for sure this weekend. Maybe if I remember I'll bring it back here.
  14. When I was little this was one of my favorites.

Which I watched until I was about 10... don't you dare judge me. >.>
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Haha! Not judging in the least. That looks absolutely epic. That bug thing is completely adorable, with its little red-mitten hands.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.