Children of Ares

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alkaios grinned when she spoke his name. He had always cared for her, but never thought to actually pursue those feelings. Here she stood before him, the sun haloing her beautiful face, and for a moment he forgot what he wanted to speak to her about. A chuckle rolled from him as he turned and looked toward the little children that were already back at play, "The will of a fearsome warrior and the heart of a loving mother. Both good qualities for a Spartan woman."

Alkaios blushed ever so slightly and spoke again before Cale had a chance to reply, "How are the preparations for violetta's wedding?" He sighed in disappointment, "I feel as though there is more I could be doing to aid them but restoring my families villa has turned out to be much more of a chore than I had anticipated," it was hard work clearing out someone's villa and removing any signs of contradiction to the plan that the Gods had put in motion. Even knowing is, never once did he falter. What had happened to Athos could not happen to anyone else and he would be sure of that. A smile slipped across his lips before he spoke again, "No need to worry though, it will all be accomplished before their wedding. I wouldn't dare miss it."

In fact, the villa would be finished in just another week. Alkaios had already begun to buy slaves to carry out the duties needed to prepare it for a celebration to honor the restoration of his families honor. He had chosen Saradres to be in charge of his servants and had ensured that they all be treated respectfully within the Spartan customs. Everything would go as planned without complications.

Tilting his head a bit, he continued, "Ill be hosting a celebration of sorts at my place in one week's time. Could you pass an invite to your father?" He locked eyes with her, "Though, it would be an even greater celebration if I knew you would be there as well?"

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Lawkheart
Cale looked up at Alkaios as the male spoke to her. Studying his features, she swore he looked like Athos... but it was impossible. The gods were not so kind as to spare his life. Silently, the young female watched Alkaios as he spoke to her about restoring his home. Against her better judgment, she had gone to visit Alkaios's home, watching from a distance as he cleaned the abandoned land. It was odd, watching the male that stood before him. At times she doubted he was telling the truth of who he was and at others, she pined for the lost memories of their friendship. Although Calistenia had Voleta, the female never spoke to her about her inner workings. If they were as close as Voleta claims, she wished she could tell him how she felt everyday; the guilt and pain that caused her to visit the abandoned temples outside of their city. "No need to worry though, it will all be accomplished before their wedding. I wouldn't dare miss it." His words pulled her from her thoughts as he assured her he would be sure to make it to Voleta's wedding.

The raven hair beauty offered a gentle smile and nodded her head. He had better go, he was one of the few people who was invited to the private banquet. Of course they were having a more public banquet, but only family and close friends were allowed to join them for the private festivities.

"I'll be hosting a celebration of sorts at my place in one week's time. Could you pass an invite to your father?" He was so close to being finished with his home? "Though, it would be an even greater celebration if I knew you would be there as well?" His light flirtation caused the coldness, that normally ruled her eyes, to soften; for the first time in so long, happiness actually reached her eyes. It did not go unnoticed; a few of Krios's dogs watching the two from a distance.

"Hmm... I might be tempted to attend... if you could do two things for me," her smile was tinged with amusement as she looked up at Alkaios. Cale figured if he was once her friend, she would have to let him in a bit more then anyone else in her life. Looking at the male, she hugged her basket to her chest, and began walking away from him.

Calistenia turned away from him, motioning with her head for her supposed friend to follow her. Raven locks teased her lower back as she walked, swaying with her movements as she continued on her way through the city. She made no sound as she continued to move, many of her items in the basket were hidden from view, but they were mostly offerings and items used to polish and clean. The further they walked, the closer the two got to the western edge of the city; on the complete opposite of her home. "Since you've humored me in my en devour, my first request is for your permission to plant a garden at your Villa," she began looking ahead of herself as she spoke, "I assume you haven't begun to planting and I'd like to help with the choice of plants and help with the planting." There were a few things she enjoyed doing other then training; planting and nursing plants was one of her past times.

The raven haired beauty said nothing more about as they reached the edge of the city. Cale gave no sign of stopping as she continued on, walked onto the dirt road that led to the ocean; a secret that most of the city farmers knew about as well as Calistenia. As the two walked the fresh smell of the sea wafted up to them, causing Cale to smile. At the top of the hill, where the road ended, Cale looked out a moment before she looked at Alkaios. The female bent down somewhat, removing her sandals before she began climbing down the steep hill. It took her a bit to get down the rocky cliff that revealed a tiny bay where two small buildings stood.

As the two made it to the beach, Cale turned to look at Alkaios. "My next request... is if you would keep me company as I give my offerings," she asked, her voice even as she watched the male, waiting for his reaction.

Cale answered his invitation quite oddly. She would pass along the invitation and grace his banquet only if he granted her two requests. A smirk graced the corner of his lips as he nodded and followed after her as she walked away. The sway of hair as it teased at her hips did not go unnoticed though he tried desperately to avert his eyes. He did not wish to disgrace such beauty when it did not belong to him.

Her first request was given as they travelled and it was one easily answered. He did need a garden and if anyone were to help him with it, he would have none other than Cale to tend it. Call it a memorial to a mutual friend the two of them had once shared but no longer graced either one of them. It helped, as well, that such a thing would serve two other purposes. It would grant him more time with the woman who had quickly begun to steal at his heart through her immense beauty and strong personality.the other purpose was how aggrivated Krios would be.

"I could not think of a better person to aid me in that endeavor than yourself," he spoke as he dodged the little children than ran between them. The 'hidden' attention of Krios' friends did not go unnoticed to the warrio as it only served to embolden him. He hurried his steps so that he walked, in step, beside her. Krios would be furious and that was exactly where he needed the fool.

Cale led them out of the city and toward the shore. His heart began to race as he recalled the significance of this area. Why had Cale brought him here? Then she spoke, "My next request is if you would keep me company as I give my offerings."

Alkaios nodded solemnly, "It would be an honor to keep you company," he spoke as he stepped closer to her, "Could I help you with anything?" He waited a moment before he asked the next question, "These shrines seem barely used. What is it you pray and offer gifts for that is so important you have need to leave the confines of the city? Who do you pray to?"

Calistenia was used to the stares the people of the city passed onto her, so much so, that she did not notice their stares as she walked with Alkaios through Sparta. It would be a fire of a rumor, the two of them walking together; a fire that would not be put out so easily. The warrioress kept up a rhythm to her stride; hips swaying ever so slightly, hair flowing soon after. It was the deadly grace of the Spartan woman that walked beside Alkaios, a gait she learned from her mother. It was rumored that Calistenia's life was bonded to that of Amazon, Ares's only daughter. It was a rumor that was quickly killed by the fact Cale had not been taken by Ares. All that was certain to anyone in Sparta was that Ares had blessed the young woman, why had yet to be known.

To say she was nervous was an understatement, but Cale showed no signs of her nervousness as she waited for Alkaios's answer to her first request. "I could not think of a better person to aid me in that endeavor than yourself." His answer caused her to smile and she nodded her head.

The cool ocean breeze caused Cale to stand there for a few moments, looking out the tiny bay at the huge jagged rocks that blocked out intruders from getting into the city or even knowing there was a small beach there at all. How many times had she come here alone? How many times had her prayers go unanswered? How many times did she still come because of the guilt that ate up her mind? She is guilty of being as big a coward as any of those who took Athos's life... because she has done nothing to avenge his name. "It would be an honor to keep you company." Alkaios's words, pulled her attention to her supposed old friend. She looked at him, her eyes studying him as if she were still unsure of what she should do; if she should trust the male before her. She had few she could trust in Sparta... Alkaios may have been born of her, but he had not been raised in the tainted remains of their once beautiful home. Cale could trust him.

"Could I help you with anything?" Calistenia nodded her head, holding the basket out gently for Alkaios to take from her. Once he did, he could feel just how heavy the basket was; like carrying a basket of stones. She removed the cloths covering the top of the basket, revealing various bundles of various sizes. The first thing Cale did before taking any of the items out, however, was clean the small buildings herself, dusting the small amount of dust there was and removing sand and other things that got blown into the small temples. She came to the temples every day, morning or night, and tended them. Due to this, the marble for both temples, looked polished and well maintained.

It was not unheard of for Spartan's to worship; it was unheard for Spartan's to worship anyone other then Ares.

Yet here there was a Spartan woman, one blessed by Ares himself, worshiping another god and not just any other god; his sister Athena. Calistenia worshiped both gods equally. Without wisdom War was nothing but carnage and blood; Cale would not worship one without the other. "There is a flaw in Sparta..." Cale began, her voice soft as she said it but she did not elaborate on it.

Once the temples were clean, she began taking bundles from the basket, taking a few to each temple and setting everything up with practiced hands, as she did every day. Only two items were new. Everything else she had to bring back due to the storm that had passed and washed away the other things she had brought there over the years. "You could set the basket down here next to me," Calistenia called, patting the ground next to her as she knelt down Athena's temple.

Alkaios' heart raced as he looked upon the statuette of the temple that Calistenia had chosen to sit before. Standing as proud and strong as ever, Athena looked over them with spear in one hand and shield in the other. The Goddess of war and wisdom looked on Sparta with emotionless eyes but he knew better. Were Athena there, she would look upon the city of warriors with disdain and sorrow. They had fallen so far into Ares' idea of war that wisdom, kindness, and virtually everything else that separated mankind from the creations of the Gods had become almost nonexistent.

He had watched Calistenia move from little temple to little temple as she dusted and swept maintaining that which the priests were charged to keep. It seemed even they had forgotten who the Gods were and had turned their attention toward only Ares. So much had changed in Sparta since he was a child. Yet, the fall of the morality of the city was still the same it seemed.

Calistenia's soft voice broke him from his thoughts and once her words registered, he set the basket beside her and took a step back. Calistenia was a pure woman in virtue and heart. If Athena chose, there would be no reason the Goddess would not manifest herself before her, especially since Alkaios was there. However, he hoped he was wrong. Calistenia was sharp with a blade, but her mind was equally as sharp. If Athena even gave the smallest of hints of what was to come, everything could unravel in an instant. A smirk teased the corner of his lips as he captured his thoughts. Athena was wisdom. She would not reveal her plan unless she felt as though Calistenia was prepared for the burden of its secrecy. He would trust her as he had learned to do so long ago.

Alkaios joined Calistenia, kneeling beside her. Lowering his head was more a sign of respect than it was of fear for Athena had cared for him and guided him to the point that he had begun to consider her as a mother. His eyes shut so that he could not focus on the distractions around him. The cool sea breeze rushed in and over their skin tossing Calistenia's scent in his direction. His brow narrowed as he tried to ignore the slight heat of the sun that kissed their faces. What was more distracting than anything was the proximity of Calistenia. Being so close to a woman who embodied the true virtues of Sparta and was lovely as well, made it hard to focus on anything. However, a sensation fell over him and with a deep breath, he was finally able to clear his mind enough to pray.

Athena, the words echoed silently in his mind, great Goddess of Wisdom, give me strength to endure the hardships to come. Guide my arm as I strike at those who seek to defile those I love with lies. Let me be a shield them in times to come. I will do this for Sparta, for you, and for Calistenia.

"Children of Sparta," the familiar feminine voice of the Goddess of Wisdom called out, "Why do you come to me with such heavy hearts?"

Alkaios' eyes opened and his face lifted to find Athena before them. His breath caught out of nervousness but he quickly let it out and calmed himself. Athena knew what she was doing. He need only to trust her.

Calistenia had not expected Alkaios to kneel down with her, especially before Athena. It was only common for the women of Sparta to worship Athena, in secret of course, but never had she ever seen a man kneel before the Goddess. It caused the warrioress to turn her head and look at the male with a bit of surprise. He was not pulling a cruel joke, nor did he sit with disrespect. He knelt as she did, his head bowed gently and eyes closed gently as he faced the small shrine. Cale felt her chest tighten at the sight, the ocean breeze blowing her hair over her shoulders. Alkaios was really praying with her; taking her request seriously. This was the first time the young spartan woman had felt like this for another male other then Athanasios. The young woman turned her head away and looked down, closing her eyes... she knew she had no right to feel for another after what had happened to Athanasios. It was as much her fault as anyone else. Her heart was heavy at the thought... she could do nothing for the male but provide him food and basic needs; needs his family should have provided him. She should spoken up against the beating he received that day. She should have hit her father harder and claimed Athanasios as her future husband. 'This does nothing to bring him back,' her mind finally relaxed at the sad realization and she calmed herself more so.

Oh Goddess of Wisdom... Athena, I humbly ask of you to continue to give me the wisdom and the strength to make the just choices amongst the immorality that surrounds me. Guide my allies judgement and help guide me give those I love the advice they need with regards to whatever it is they need. The words echoed inside her, bringing tears to her eyes but they did not fall... Cale would not allow them to fall. Guide my tongue as you always have so I may one day repay my debt to Athanasios for the years he suffered at the hands of those who were supposed to care for him. I pray that he is now resting in the fields of Elysium.

"Children of Sparta," A feminine voice spoke out loud and it caused Calistenia's eyes to open from her prayer; green eyes glistening from her un-shed tears. "Why do you come to me with such heavy hearts?" Cale could not believe what she was seeing.

Before her stood the Goddess Athena; THE Goddess Athena. The raven haired beauty had no words as she looked up at the woman who was more beautiful then she could have ever imagined. Stories from her mother of the Goddess being as beautiful as Ares was ruthless was a lie; Athena was more beautiful.... but why was the Goddess here now? Calistenia knew to bow her head instantly, casting her eyes down to the ground as to not disrespect the Goddess. "I..." Cale began, he voice was so soft, so small. Cale knew how to show respect in the presence of those who deserved it.

Calistenia looked over at Alkaios but he was not bowing his head; which shocked her even more. Was he a servant of Athena? Just as the question passed through her mind, her head began pounding with pain. One hand moved to grip at the side of her head, a dizziness settling in. "What... What is... going on?" her voice was lined with pain as she knelt there, gripping her head in pain.

It wasn't long after Athena's appearance that Calistenia came under intense pain. Forgetting that he was before the Goddess of Wisdom, Alkaios rose quickly and moved to her side, "Calistenia!" he called out to her as he placed a hand against her back and tried to find an injury. He couldn't see anything and yet she gripped her head as if it were the source. His plea filled eyes lifted to Athena, "Please, help her."

Athena's eyes were soft as she looked down at Alkaios. Her voice was gentle as she shook her head slightly, "I cannot, child."

"What?" Alkaios looked at her with betrayed eyes. It felt as though the very wind had be forced from his body, "Why not? I've done everything you asked me. No one knows and no one will!"

The goddess shook her head, "To help her means unveiling everything, Alkaios, and we cannot do that."

"Cannot or will not?" he challenged her. His eyes turned to the only woman he had ever loved as she suffered in terrible agony. This was where he had to choose what was more important. If she was helped then everything that was put into place ran the risk of falling apart. Nothing would be the same. What if he helped her and she did not want anything to do with him after she found out everything? None of that would matter if she didn't get better. For now, he didn't care if she hated him for the rest of their lives. He just wanted her safe.

Turning to Athena, Alkaios rose from his feet and pointed down at Calistenia, "Remove it. I'll not do another deed until she's been healed."

Athena's brow narrowed and for a moment, Alkaios thought that he would be the receiver of her wrath. Instead, she sighed, walked to Calistenia and gently placed her hand on the woman's head. Her eyes slid shut and after the briefest of moments, she removed the false memories that had been implanted. Removing her hand, she walked back to where she was standing and turned to Alkaios, "Do not think that you can order me around. Do not forget your place. I do this because you are as my own."

"Yes, Goddess," Alkaios bowed respectfully. His voice was laced with apology. When Athena departed, it was just as before. Turning to Calistenia, he awaited her reaction and braced for the worse.

• Love
Reactions: Lawkheart
Cale felt her head throbbing harder and harder trying to remember when Alkaios could have become Athena's servant. The more she tried to think the more the pain grew; eye sight blurring as she tried to look at the ground. She could barely hear Alkaios yelling her name, but feeling the warmth near her, she could not help leaning against him; eyes closed as tears pricked her eyes. "To help her means unveiling everything, Alkaios, and we cannot do that." she could faintly hear the goddess's words; the words echoing in her mind that continued to throb painfully. Alkaios's body tensed up next to her. The male was angry; Cale could feel his anger.

"Cannot or will not?" His question went unanswered.

The male's voice did not echo as much since he knelt beside her. If anything she could hear his voice loud and clear... but she didn't know who he was. Her memories were straining to stay together the longer the pain remained. Suddenly, however, he stood up, moving away from her towards the goddess. "Remove it. I'll not do another deed until she's been healed." Remove what? What was he talking about? The questions in her mind went unanswered as she look up at the two, pain etched into her face. To say that she was shocked as the goddess stepped closer to her and placed her hand on Cale's aching forehead. A cooling sensation came from the goddess's hand and the pain suddenly disappeared along with all of the fuzziness in her mind and around her memories. They became clear and focused once more and she now knew that Alkaios had never been her friend... his family had never even been a part of Sparta. He had lied... but why? "I'll not do another deed until she's been healed." his words echoed in her mind. He was doing something for the goddess? Why? Lifting her head, she looked at the goddess and then to the stranger next to her. Who was this man and why did he work with the goddess? "Do not think that you can order me around. Do not forget your place. I do this because you are as my own." The goddess's words caused Calistenia to be more confused. Her eyes went downcast as the goddess left the two alone. What was going on?!

Silence filled the air; the sound of waves crashing against the beach the only sound breaking the silence between them. "Who are you?" she asked, her voice sounded confused, her eyes rising to look at Alkaios; if that was the males real name.

Status
Not open for further replies.