Chicken (In)humanity [NSFW]

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the contrary, I bet endangered animals are the tastiest.

I mean, look at pandas; those fat bastards just sit around eating bamboo all goddamn day. It would be a abomination against nature if they wouldn't taste fetching with some honey mustard and garlic.
But they are so cute :(

Don't get me wrong, I'd eat them too if their were more alive, but we shouldn't wipe out an entire species for the sake of a four coursed meal, especially a species as cute as the Panda. We should mass produce pandas for consumption, thereby taking them off the endangered species list and putting them on our dinner plates. Everybody wins.

That is a flawed argument for a few reasons:

- Pain is a powerful drive of intelligent response to an adverse environment. Pain is meant to be avoided actively by an animal that can exhibit many different responses in time to a fixed event (like injury). In contrast, a plant exhibits a fixed response to every event. It does not know how to avoid pain, it cannot avoid pain by devising an intelligent, adaptive response to its environment. Why would it feel pain?

- Many plants have even evolved to be eaten to spread their seeds. If pain is a feeling to avoid, why would a plant want to experience pain?

- Anthropomorphism. Plants don't beg for anything.

- So where do you draw the line? Will you eat chimps if they tasted delicious? How about humans? What if a philosophy comes along that claims some humans ... are subhuman? There was a wide body of philosophy in colonial europe that focused around enabling black slavery. Would you eat black people?

- It is true that other living things must die for humans to live. But death and suffering are two very different things. For Jorrick to revel in a process that produces delicious meat even if it produces suffering in an animal shows a poignant lack of any moral philosophy, if it can't even convince us of something this 'obvious'.
Wait, you mean imagine someone chowing down on MY flesh?
No, you're correct, things die for us to live. What's questionable is how they are grown and how they die before coming onto the plate. You're avoiding the meat of the question o_o.
Are you seriously trying to say that chicken tastes like...nothing? Nice ignorance.
No, but Western culinary techniques basically consist of covering everything in sauce, so there's basically no difference between meats. But hey, if this statement generates more anger than the one of a well respected, donating member who says meat is great, suffering be damned, bring on the smites!

Reactions: Lady B
But they are so cute :(

Don't get me wrong, I'd eat them too if their were more alive, but we shouldn't wipe out an entire species for the sake of a four coursed meal, especially a species as cute as the Panda. We should mass produce pandas for consumption, thereby taking them off the endangered species list and putting them on our dinner plates. Everybody wins.
Agreed! Let's go get on top of that cloning research! :D

In regards to the cute factor, I still eat these things and I giggle like a little girl every time I see one:

American-Bison-brown.jpg

That is a flawed argument for a few reasons:

- Many plants have even evolved to be eaten to spread their seeds. If pain is a feeling to avoid, why would a plant want to experience pain?

- So where do you draw the line? Will you eat chimps if they tasted delicious? How about humans? What if a philosophy comes along that claims some humans ... are subhuman? There was a wide body of philosophy in colonial europe that focused around enabling black slavery. Would you eat black people?
Woaah, hold up there.

You don't eat the entire plant when you eat something like a fruit or the seed-bearing portion of a plant. They're meant to easily detach so animals can eat them and propagate the plant's reproductive cycle; it's no different than a pine tree dropping a pine cone. Similar reproductive strategies, slightly different sex organs. If you wanted a human comparison, it would be like if our nail clippings could be trimmed and turned into our offspring.

And plants are remarkably sophisticated; they send off signals akin to what we'd associate as pain because it's a living organism; it's in its interest to survive, and it has to react to its environment, and they've been in the arms race of evolution against animals that would prey on them for eons.

Trees talk to each other with pheromones to warn others of catepillars attacking them.

As for asking if he'd eat chimps if they were delicious, that's a bit ethnocentric because a lot of African cultures have a history eating chimp "bushmeat".

As for your comments on Europe enabling black slavery, Several African groups had been enslaving others long before Europeans arrived.

Reactions: LunaValentine
@unanun

For the record, I'm smiting you because Jorick never said he reveled in animal suffering, he said he was apathetic / indifferent to the process, and there is no way with you being as well spoken as you are you should be confusing the two. So your insistence to put words in peoples mouths makes anything you write impossible to take seriously, regardless of how well spoken you are.

yikes guys, play nice, play nice. this is some serious shit ok?

SERIOUSLY, CHICKENS ARE BEING ABUSED, THEY SHOULD BE FREE DAMMIT!!

I don't want something I eat to be depressed and abused...I want it to be fat, healthy and have lived a full and happy life...it tastes better that way :D

Free and happy chickens are delicious chickens.

FREE THE CHICKENS!!! FREE THEM ALL!!!

- Pain is a powerful drive of intelligent response to an adverse environment. Pain is meant to be avoided actively by an animal that can exhibit many different responses in time to a fixed event (like injury). In contrast, a plant exhibits a fixed response to every event. It does not know how to avoid pain, it cannot avoid pain by devising an intelligent, adaptive response to its environment. Why would it feel pain?
Except you know, the article kind of points out that there's this little chemical the plants exude whenever damaged to try and "call" for other creatures to assist it, that certain plants react to disease and damage in a similar manner, et cetera. It's really interesting, you should try reading it.
Fruits have evolved such a mechanism to spread seeds via providing sustenance with packages grown specifically for that purpose. In essence: An apple tree makes apples because it's mutually beneficial to the recipient (who eats it) and the deliverer (the seeds which then proceed to propagate more of itself). The apple tree still protests (in its own limited fashion) being consumed itself.

It's like if I decided to hand you an apple and you chose to try and eat my arm instead. Obviously I don't want my arm to be eaten, so take the apple and eat that instead of me.
Come on.
Except human beings are intelligent, sentient entities that are capable of verbally communicating their case. Also this little thing called empathy, makes us not want to eat each other, normally.

Plants and turkeys on the other hand are not. Turkeys are so mentally deficient they drown in the rain. If turkeys are capable of making art and displaying human levels of intelligence, I will stop eating them.

Here, let me make it really simple for you: The moment an animal begins explaining to me its rights as a living thing to live, I will stop eating it. I don't eat apes or dolphins, because they tend to flout the intelligence line that makes me genuinely uncomfortable with consuming them, they may be underdeveloped people in a rudimentary fashion.

Also, did you... Really just try and turn this discussion about consuming plants and animals into murdering and consuming black people? What the fuck? Are you actually incapable of discerning the difference or are you just trolling me? If you're not mentally capable of discerning the difference, maybe we shouldn't have this discussion... Also, what's with your hardon for hating philosophy even in threads where we're not talking about it? :rotfl:
- It is true that other living things must die for humans to live. But death and suffering are two very different things. For Jorrick to revel in a process that produces delicious meat even if it produces suffering in an animal shows a poignant lack of any moral philosophy, if it can't even convince us of something this 'obvious'.
True, but I don't advocate for the suffering of animals. You'll note that I advocate for animals (especially ones we breed specifically to consume) to have at least some basic rights, so they can live with some level of comfort. Then when the killing time comes, make it quick and clean so they don't suffer before we eat them. They can feel pain, and I can understand that.

yikes guys, play nice, play nice. this is some serious shit ok?

SERIOUSLY, CHICKENS ARE BEING ABUSED, THEY SHOULD BE FREE DAMMIT!!

I don't want something I eat to be depressed and abused...I want it to be fat, healthy and have lived a full and happy life...it tastes better that way :D

Free and happy chickens are delicious chickens.

FREE THE CHICKENS!!! FREE THEM ALL!!!

That historically has never ended well.

Actually the cannibal community has small pockets of time where their practices weren't completely uhm.... shut down.
Most of the time the person being eaten consented to not only being eaten, but usually chose what part of their body they no longer wanted. As long as safe practices practices were being followed.

Things like Cannibal cafe come to mind when talking about this.
Of course, most of the time they go over the edge and end up being taken down.
As we saw when a slightly mental guy offered the use of his entire leg (cut from the hip) as a meal. German authorities were like "Hmmm, this doesn't sound like a good idea."

I'm pretty sure (I'm ignorant when compared to an actual member of that community) modern cannibals find the eating of other humans to be a matter of consent rather then a matter of right or wrong. Which is probably the defining trait that separates cannibalism and whether eating meat is right or wrong.

Reactions: LunaValentine
lack of any moral philosophy, if it can't even convince us of something this 'obvious'.
Please don't. This isn't the thread to bring that back up.

No, you're correct, things die for us to live. What's questionable is how they are grown and how they die before coming onto the plate. You're avoiding the meat of the question o_o.
So what you're saying is...

You ripped that lobster apart when it was alive? That is barbaric, I'm surprised of you.

well respected, donating member
That's not why he's respected at all.

No, but Western culinary techniques basically consist of covering everything in sauce, so there's basically no difference between meats. But hey, if this statement generates more anger than the one of a well respected, donating member who says meat is great, suffering be damned, bring on the smites!
I didn't avoid anything. I chose not to beat the dead horse that others have already commented on. I like meat. I will continue to eat it, regardless of how it arrives at my plate. Would I prefer things be done in a less cruel manner? Yes. But not to the point where I would willingly accept a substantial increase in the cost of my food. There are mitigating circumstances and choices to be made.

Secondly, my apologies for misunderstanding your meaning. However, now that your point is clear, it makes even less sense to me.
Using the same BBQ sauce on Chicken, Pork, or Beef, brings different flavours of the meats, and the sauce out to be enjoyed. Besides that easy example, is that many people like different BBQ sauces for different meats, some prefer something with a heavier, more molasses taste for beef, venison, etc, while preferring something lighter for chicken. On top of this, is that BBQ sauce is but a tiny spectrum of sauces used on meats. Many, many sauces are made by deglazing the pan in which the meat was cooked, and is thus directly tied to the meat in question.
Beyond that, I will cover the fallacy that "Western culinary techniques basically consist of covering everything in sauce," since many, many, MANY dishes are served with no sauce at all. So many dishes are done by simple seasonings of the meat, and utilizing different methods of cooking to achieve variations of taste and flavour.

Hell, it could be argued that Eastern cuisine is more heavily biased to the use of sauces than western cusine; from stir fries to curries, much of what we, in the western world are exposed to in regards to Eastern cuisine gains much of its flavour from the sauce that is usually, quite liberally used.

Finally, no anger, just disbelief. Also, I have no idea who you are referring to by "well respected, donating member," but I do have to ask...what does that part have to do with anything? I care not who is respected here. Their status as a donating member could not matter less to me. Do these things really matter to you?

Which particular branch of philosophy planted such a psychopathic thought into your brain?

Hey @Asmodeus, @Brovo, where's your ubermensch now?
It's really cute how you decided to drag that up again, but the answer is none at all. That was something I decided on without the need of any philosophical crutch to lean on. In fact, if anything, it was science that pushed me to those thoughts.

I have plenty of empathy for humans, my own species, but I see no reason to try to feel protective or loving toward other animals. Speaking from an objective evolutionary biology standpoint, in relation to one's own species all other animals can be classified as one of three things: threats, food, or useful tools (like hunting dogs). Only those animals in the useful tools category logically deserve anything like positive feelings, because their continued existence and good mood does positive things for us. Being empathetic about food animals is a detrimental side effect of our normal empathic capabilities, because it makes people pass up good sources of food because they feel bad about it. We can totally get by while doing so nowadays, because of the glut of options we have for foodstuffs, but back in the old hunter-gatherer days that would have been full on stupid.

I do not delight in the suffering of food animals (thanks @Atlas Child for pointing out unanun's nonsense there), I just don't care one way or the other. If suffering-free meat cost the same as or less than meat gathered with suffering, I would happily go ahead and get the nice meat because of the two options the no suffering meat is to be morally preferred. It just doesn't have enough weight as a moral choice to either overcome my economic needs or make me want to change my diet.
1; Never take Jorick at face value. He often choses the most impactful way to word things for no reason. And I don't see where you get the psychotic from. His rhetoric is lazy and self centered is all.

2:I try and eat European free range whenever I can. Becouse while Jorick might not care for other beings suffering as long as it feeds him, he have chosen to stay ignorant to what meat-plants feed their would be meat. Antibiotics, tons of it. Hormones, tons of it. That meat is not by any means very good for you, and I am sure Jorick do not care to much about that either, if I remember correctly. But its going to affect those that eat the meat, and most of them would I bet, rather go for healthy meat if they could. We had a problem with Danish pigs here possibly spreading MRE meat due to anti-biotics abuse. Meatplants are a terrible solution and actually causes a meat surplus every year, so it's not a resource efficient way to do things either. I allready cut down on meat, and I am a straight up carnivore with gastrical issues regarding eating greens.

So both ethically and pragmatically, the video should be deplorable to anyone with a little knowledge and half a brain.
Not for no reason. I have two reasons, in fact. First, I find it to be far more productive to cut to the chase and lay it all out on the table from the start rather than hedging around things and phrasing it softly. If I think something in harsh terms, screw it, I'll use the harsh terms. Second, it makes discussions far more entertaining as it tends to push others into also being blunt with their opinions in response to me. I like open and honest discussion about things a lot better than fucking around with trying to couch everything in socially acceptable terms. I could have said something along the lines of "I know they do bad things to animals bred for food, but I like meat and I don't have the money to afford organic and grass-fed meat." Would've been the same base message, but it would have been boring.

My rhetoric may be self centered, but it's only lazy if you mean in the way that I prefer things that take lesser effort on my part. It is by no means academically lazy, as I make a point of going out of my way to read dissenting opinions and see if I can solidly back up my own position on various matters.

As for the stuff they put in meat, nah, I'm not ignorant of it. You're correct about me not caring though. I eat all sorts of things that are bad for me aside from meat, so I'm not overly concerned about hormones and antibiotics.

There are two points to this being conflated:

- Is suffering to make delicious meat OK?

- Do things have to die for humans to live? Yes. Can we live off things that don't show pain? Yes. The biochemical response caused by injury in plants is not part of the feeling of pain. They are two separate things. You can concoct a nutritionally complete drink, today, that removes the dependence on anything with more "brains" than rice. But you still choose to eat meat, so you are saying that your enjoyment in eating it is greater than the life cost.
That's not the point. Where does one draw the line at what is acceptable to eat and what isn't? There is conflicting moral philosophy everywhere. I'm sure many people in this thread would not want to eat humans. It is obviously 'wrong'. Yet as you have provided evidence for, there are cultures that exist out there where things like this are OK.
You ripped that lobster apart when it was alive? That is barbaric, I'm surprised of you.
Anymore than boiling it alive?
So your insistence to put words in peoples mouths makes anything you write impossible to take seriously, regardless of how well spoken you are.
You got me! He would enjoy the delicious meat even more if suffering was shown to produce tastier meat. But he doesn't actually endorse suffering, he just wants the most delicious meat possible. Dogs are frequently beaten and tortured to make their meat taste better. If the meat tasted delicious to you, would you not care? Or is that hitting a little too close to home?

His position on eating meat is reptilian. If an alien species functioning far beyond our intellect came to earth and turned the entire human race into cattle, and they enjoyed inflicting immense suffering on us because it made us tastier - is that OK? Have you read Gantz?
Cells do all the same things too. Do cells feel pain? This is the same leap you made from animals to plants. That plants exhibit complex biochemical responses to stimuli is not disputed, but giving those responses anthropomorphic terms like 'pain' or 'begging' is dishonest. Evolving the ability to feel pain with no way to avoid it doesn't confer much evolutionary advantage, especially if you 'think' on timescales hundreds of times longer than your predators.
But not to the point where I would willingly accept a substantial increase in the cost of my food.
because it makes people pass up good sources of food because they feel bad about it. We can totally get by while doing so nowadays, because of the glut of options we have for foodstuffs, but back in the old hunter-gatherer days that would have been full on stupid.
You can buy nutritionally complete, vegetarian Soylent for $3 a serving. Humans have had a vegetarian culture since the ancient times. There is choice. But your value system is different - you simply enjoy the taste of meat and the economic pricing to not care if an animal suffered or not. I claim you lack empathy.

You can buy nutritionally complete, vegetarian Soylent for $3 a serving. Humans have had a vegetarian culture since the ancient times. There is choice. But your value system is different - you simply enjoy the taste of meat and the economic pricing to not care if an animal suffered or not. I claim you lack empathy.

If that's your opinion of me? Cool. Have fun with it.

Anymore than boiling it alive?
Okay, look.

You commented on the fact that you tore open a crab or whatever, and called that barbaric when compared to a human. Toellner then pointed out that if he was dead, he wouldn't mind if his body was torn open in that way.

You then proceeded to claim that your point was that the suffering was what you were talking about, not the gore. The suffering may have been your general stance, but it did not reflect in this particular example, even though you treated it like it did.

That's why I called you out on it.

If an alien species functioning far beyond our intellect came to earth and turned the entire human race into cattle, and they enjoyed inflicting immense suffering on us because it made us tastier - is that OK?
Just because it isn't okay, doesn't mean we won't do it. We have stated that it is in large part due to apathy that we lack these moral qualms. As I have said, I empathize with animals up until they die. Essentially, I fall victim to the sin of sloth—it is easier not to care where the meat comes from.

So Jorick and Gold Marble lack empathy because they don't see things your way. Amazing.

Discussing things is pointless with you when you consider the opposing side inherently, mentally damaged in some respect. Which is humorous coming from the person who made the claim that they cannot tell the difference between enslaving black people and eating turkeys.

So, I guess this is where the discussion ends, because you already look down on me and others in this thread as mentally inferior. Have a nice day.

PS: Please look up what a "slippery slope" argument is.

Oh god I know I shouldn't, just...

Empathy is an intellectual identification. The reason we don't think as highly of chickens as people is because of their level of conciousness. The higher level of conciousness an animal portrays, say an ape or dolphin, the less likely we are to eat it. I'd argue that breeding something for the sake of consumption sounds pretty horrible, but as I turned out I just learned ants and termites commit to similar methods to preserve a food source. Then there's the part where killer whales play with their foods while it's still alive. Multiple species of ape have been reported to kill for pleasure. The ironic thing is that the higher an animal's level of conciousness becomes, the more likely it is to display cruel behaviours.

Just living isn't something that thrives or defines us as a species. We seek pleasure. We seek satisfaction. You eat meat instead of Soylent for the same reason you're posting in this debate topic. You're looking to satisfy urges that go beyond just staying alive. Naturally, we should not forget the result of our actions (because hey, we wouldn't want to invoke Godwin's law in this topic) but to say this very natures derives us of empathy is... Kinda backward. It'd mean claiming chickens are better at empathy while they clearly aren't.

• Thank You
Reactions: unanun
Good to see we're getting this to a racial place.

*winds up the spring on Unanun's back and sends him off again*

Personally, I would eat black people if they were processed into a delicious kind of burger that was cheap and compatible with a number of burger toppings. Of course, I would have to be convinced that this was the natural order of things. But hey, that's never been too difficult, and Windsong is almost old enough to become an Advertising Executive. As for their supposed "suffering"... well.... I'm just one man. And that Soylent Black is fucking awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.