Chess

marcy

blue, dense orange day
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Genres
moth
My addictive personality has rooted itself onto chess.com (Φ ω Φ)wondering if anyone would like to play, the site is pretty user friendly and you can stay anonymous, as far as I know.

Anyone know any tips or tricks or killer openings, etc. ??

I haven't played chess in a long while. I would say learn the fundamentals of openings and the end game.

There are openings which are meant to quickly win, such as Scholar's Mate and Blitzkreig, but an experienced opponent will not fall for these. However, this was the first lesson to me so that I don't fall for the same tactics. Kids' Book of Chess and Chess Set, Book by Harvey Kidder was my first book on the game which taught me this, and included an example where you lose after a standard opening, because of a mistake in the response. Don't let the fact that it's for kids fool you. It was quite insightful.

Bobby Fisher Teaches Chess is a good interactive resource for endgame, going into detail on back-rank mates (calculating the count of attackers, useful/useless interpositions, king moves), displacing defenders, and demolishing pawn cover. It has good examples and asks if you can mate and how. With back-rank mates, for example, you check moves ahead to ensure the planned sacrifices result in a win (a "forced mate")

Other general advice over the years are as follows.

* "To take is a mistake." (Think over if this opens the game or trades to your disadvantage, or loses tempo)
* Control of the four central squares is generally good, with the Queen especially
* Don't touch king side pawns (again, generally speaking. you might g2 to g3 for a nook for the king to hide in after castling)

• Thank You
Reactions: marcy
I haven't played chess in a long while. I would say learn the fundamentals of openings and the end game.

There are openings which are meant to quickly win, such as Scholar's Mate and Blitzkreig, but an experienced opponent will not fall for these. However, this was the first lesson to me so that I don't fall for the same tactics. Kids' Book of Chess and Chess Set, Book by Harvey Kidder was my first book on the game which taught me this, and included an example where you lose after a standard opening, because of a mistake in the response. Don't let the fact that it's for kids fool you. It was quite insightful.

Bobby Fisher Teaches Chess is a good interactive resource for endgame, going into detail on back-rank mates (calculating the count of attackers, useful/useless interpositions, king moves), displacing defenders, and demolishing pawn cover. It has good examples and asks if you can mate and how. With back-rank mates, for example, you check moves ahead to ensure the planned sacrifices result in a win (a "forced mate")

Other general advice over the years are as follows.

* "To take is a mistake." (Think over if this opens the game or trades to your disadvantage, or loses tempo)
* Control of the four central squares is generally good, with the Queen especially
* Don't touch king side pawns (again, generally speaking. you might g2 to g3 for a nook for the king to hide in after castling)

Oooooh battle guide! Thank you so much! I will definitely check that stuff out!! Pfft my only strategy is to try and take pieces without sacrificing any in the process until I have way more options, hopefully getting two queens on the board. I rarely find an opportunity for a checkmate and it usually slips through my fingers.

Thank you! :D